Frank La Rocca: Mass of St. Margaret Mary
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Following a performance of his Latin Mass I was bold enough to ask Frank La Rocca if would be writing a vernacular setting and after hearing hard-to-confirm rumors that he had in fact since done so I got a chance to ask him again, with the result that yesterday we introduced the Mass of St. Margaret Mary at St David's. It's a very different from what Frank knows I listen to at hard-core new music concerts, but I'm happy I persisted: it's unison-only with organ accompaniment but the congregation jumped right in and sang along on their first hearing.

Perusers will perhaps smile at the opening of the Gloria, not unlike a ubiquitous piece by Marty Haugen, but let them keep reading beyond the first two bars. There's a bear trap or two with sudden long notes in the Gloria at "have merccccccy on us" and "Lord God uvvvv hosts" in the Sanctus, and there's a nice postlude to the Agnus but nothing to cover the indecorous thumping of kneelers after the Sanctus. These are pretty small quibbles with an eminently use-full piece of Gebrauchsmusik, though, and I highly recommend it!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • donr
    How about a link
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    This is the best I can do for now...
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Richard, I am going to have to come up to Richmond on a Sunday! It's amazing to know St. D's, like St. Margaret Mary's, is a haven of ars celebrandi in Oaktown Diocese.
    If I could have ten minutes at an NPM convention plenum, I'd proclaim a celebration of all the amazingly beautiful new Masses that are lined up like 747's awaiting their time to take off: Frank's (best teacher I ever had!) Mass you mention, JMO's "S. Jogues," Chuck's "Ascensionis," Paul Jernberg's "S. Philip Neri," Chris Mueller's "MR3," and Royce Nickel's "S. ThereseL" etc.
    Amid all the Sturm und Drang of the current ecclesiology, these are my silver linings playbook.
    Of course, NPM'ers might just react with a corporate "Huh?" (Except for Paul Ford and J. M. Thompson, bless their hearts.)
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen CGM