Missa Ascensionis Domini (Charles H. Giffen)
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Note: Further down this thread, I have posted a newer version of this Mass (complete), with both English vernacular and Latin/Greek settings of the Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, and Agnus Dei. Also, there are a few minor changes in editions uploaded before that.
    Here is my recently completed Missa Ascensionis Domini for Cantor &/or Choir, Organ, and Congregation. Some notes about the work follow.

There are two Kyries, one in Greek with 3-3-3 format (the Congregation joins in the second iteration of each section), one in English with 2-2-2 format (the Congregation joins in the repeats). The Gloria and Sanctus are in English. The Agnus Dei, like the Kyrie, comes in two flavors, Latin and English, both with almost identical music that features an optional Soprano Descant which, for Congregational use, should probably only be used once the Congregation is comfortable with the melody. In addition to the usual Mass Ordinary, there are also a Gospel Alleluia (with single Angiclan chant tone for the Alleluia Versicle), a Gospel Acclamation for Lent (with similar structure as that of the Gospel Alleluia) and a slightly longer Gospel Acclamation for Palm Sunday and Good Friday (with double Anglican chant tone for the Versicle "Christ became obedient"). The three Memorial Acclamation texts are also set (to basically the same music), and there is a three-fold (optionally two-fold) Amen. I have not (as yet) set the Credo (I'm ambivalent about doing so).

The order of composition (except for revisions) for the four principal movements was 1. Kyrie, 2. Agnus Dei, 3. Gloria, 4. Sanctus. The Gospel Alleluia and Acclamations draw on music heard in the Gloria. The Sanctus has musical features in common with the Kyrie, Gloria, and Sanctus. The Gloria and Angus Dei share some musical material, too. This should facilitate learning the Mass setting by the Choir and also for introducing it to the Congregation - probably piecemeal, starting perhaps with the Gloria or Sanctus (or perhaps, even more simply, the Gospel Alleluia). The Kyrie and Agnus Dei (as originally published at CPDL a few years ago) have been performed several times, both here and abroad, and the more recently composed Gloria has been sung here in the United States.

An SATB (with Organ) score and an Organ-Cantor (or -Unison) score are attached. I have yet to assemble Congregation parts for inclusion in a bulletin or worship aid, but will do so shortly. I have MP3 sound files for all the movements and will post them here in the next day or two.

One may ask, why Ascension? Well, while this Mass setting is intended for use at any time of the year, it just so happens that it was inspired by and reflects my own personal identification with the Ascension. This is also seen in the frequent use of A (minor & major) as a key signature or tonal center. This doesn't preclude other notes/chords/key signatures from entering the picture symbolically, notably D minor symbolizing the Lord's Death, D major symbolizing the glorified God, C-sharp (mostly major) the Crucifixion of Christ, and G major modulating to E major (in the Amen) the Resurrection of our Lord and Savior.

Note: The scores in this post are somewhat obsolete. Latest scores further down the thread.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This Kyrie and Agnus Dei are just sublime----eminently singable, and the harmonies are gorgeous. Thank you so much for this! I can't wait to do this.

If this was sung at an EF Mass, what Gloria and Sanctus would you recommend?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • SalieriSalieri
    Chuck, rather than setting the whole Credo (which I think should be sung by all), have you considered writing an optional choral interpolation for either ICEL Credo I or III? Perhaps the verse: "and by the Holy Spirit ... and became man".
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    I like it. Can't stomach the mp3s, however, everything is so blurred. You must work in a giant church with 12 second reverb!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    MP3 sound file for the Sanctus.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    MP3 sound files for Memorial Acclamations and Amen.
    You'll note how similar the three Memorial Acclamations are, musically. The Amen is given in its three-fold form, although there is an option for a two-fold Amen.
    Thanked by 1lagunaredbob
  • donr
    Very nice Charles.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Breathtakingly beautiful in the full English tradition of choral with organ composition. So much musical depth reflecting the text like this means a choir and congregation will not tire of this but strive each time to make it better and better...

Many thanks for composing and posting this...it's a Mass for all seasons.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    MP3 sound file for the Agnus Dei.
    Except for slight syllabic differences, the music of the Agnus Dei (in Latin) coincides with that of the "Lamb of God" (in English).
    Thanked by 2JulieColl Salieri
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    This is sooooooo lovely. Thanks very much, Charles.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    JulieColl wrote:
    If this was sung at an EF Mass, what Gloria and Sanctus would you recommend?
    And that was the impetus for the following Latin Gloria and Sanctus. Just the PDF scores now, but I'll try to make MP3 sound files shortly ... there are some evident modifications necessary for the Gloria but fewer for the Sanctus.

I will probably revamp the complete Missa Ascensionis Domini now, maybe separate Latin/Greek and English/Greek editions.

Note (2014-08-12): Reloaded the Sanctus, to correct/complete the text underlay.
    Thanked by 1Salieri
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chuck, this setting will be the first auditioned this coming September when we resume rehearsals! God bless you and thanks. Charles
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen JulieColl
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Charles, I am awed yet again at your virtuosity and generosity. This is a beautiful and highly useful mass setting, and God willing, we will sing it many times at our Missa Cantata and will send a video. I esp. love the Agnus Dei---have been humming it all day.

God bless!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Here is the complete, combined Missa Ascensionis Domini, with both the Latin/Greek and the English language texts for the principal movements (Kyrie, Gloria, Sanctus, Agnus Dei).

Some minor changes have been made, most notably to 1b ("Lord have mercy") in which the Soprano in m.6 has been slightly altered and in the Alto & Tenor parts at the final cadence. In addition, the optional short introduction that appears at the beginning of the (Latin) 2a "Gloria in excelsis" has been inserted also into the (English) 2b ("Glory to God in the highest"). Aside from that, I've tried to make the format more uniform across the various movements.

The warm reception to this effort is something that I truly appreciate. Thank you all.

Chuck Giffen
    Thanked by 1marymezzo