Alpha and Omega Groups
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    So, I was reading about this at NLM and it sounds like a wonderful idea. We're hoping to start something of that sort on Sundays as part of our program. Anyone else tried this?
    Thanked by 1StephenMatthew
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    We've been thinking about this, too, Stimson but were just going to do Compline. Doing both Vespers and Compline is a great idea, though. FSSP France just released a CD of EF Sunday Compline which looks very useful. I have hesitated to buy it, though, since the shipping is a bit prohibitive from France.

There are directions for Votive Vespers of the Blessed Virgin and Sunday Compline from the 1953 St. Piux X Hymnal which I've attached below which might be handy.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen igneus
  • igneusigneus
    @JulieColl It's slightly off-topic, but: are you aware of any other English hymnals, current or old, which contain any piece of the Divine Office?
  • This idea is interesting.

I wrote a more extended response, but I think it needs more thought.
    The short of it, I think the liturgy of the hours, praying together outside mass, and fellowship outside mass (particularly while sharing a meal) are not just optional good things, they are very nearly necessities of the Christian life and go to the core of both the liturgical renewal and new evangelization.
    Thanked by 1JulieColl
  • tomjaw
    @StephenMatthew, The Divine Office is a key part of Catholic Life, sadly it is either unknown or ignored by large numbers of Catholics. We have Vespers and Compline (EF) at our Church on Sundays in Advent and Eastertide. I also sing Compline (EF) with my family every day.
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Igneus, I don't know of any other English hymnals that have parts of the Divine Office in the old rite. Someone sent me the info about the St. Pius X hymnal, otherwise I wouldn't have known about it at all.
    Thanked by 1igneus
  • StimsonInRehabStimsonInRehab
    The St. Michael Hymnal has Vespers of the BVM. (With the old, non-Pian translation - I noticed the Pius X Hymnal has the new, if by chance that's going to be a sticking point with you, Julie . . .)