Ubi Caritas chant-Looking for SATB harmonization
  • Heath
    I seem to recall coming across a beautiful SATB harmonization of the Ubi Caritas chant awhile back, but I'm coming up empty . . . what are my options, dear colleagues?

Not looking to do the Durufle this year . . . minimal forces, as Holy Week coincides with Spring Break.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    not...Durufle... minimal forces

I have, with some success, used just the antiphon from the Durufle harm, with plainchant verses.

Just a thought.
  • chonakchonak
    There is a pleasant version by Ola Gjeilo, though it's not based on the chant:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp3IHBSyZKY
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • a_f_hawkins
    I hear a setting of the Latin by Morten Lauridsen on youtube, don't know how that would do with reduced forces.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • SalieriSalieri
    If you have the Adoremus Hymnal, there's a good harmonization for the antiphon there (I think from the Summit Choirbook); I have used it before.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • nun_34nun_34
    Fr. James Moore, OP, put together this setting for TTBB at the Dominican House of Studies which could probably be reorganized for SATB. I'm presuming on his permission to post it now, as he sent it me freely upon request (a couple years ago). You can find a recording on the friars' CD "In Medio Ecclesiae".
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Heath
  • lmassery
    The Gjeilo is wonderful, but not that easy. It took my choir 4 months to learn
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    CPDL has numerous harmonizations: start here. If somebody (nudge, hint) were to annotate the list it would be even more useful.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    I've always liked DOM Gregory Murray's "God Is Love" as an alternate translation of "Ubi caritas". It works quite well as a SATB hymn. I think I have the tune paired with the original Latin text in my computer at work? Anyone interested?
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • There's one in the Lent collection I put together here. (English only, I think.)
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    Here it is. We usually sing it with the congregation in C, but I noticed that goes pretty low if you basses are not so "profundo"! So here it is in Eb as well.
  • Richard R.
    Here is mine, which you are welcome to use. Happy Holy Week.

Richard Rice
  • GerardH
    Could this be the one you're after? Unfortunately I don't know who composed it or where these people got their score from.
    Thanked by 1Heath