Litany of the Saints in Latin
  • Hello. I need the Litany of the Saints for the Dedication of a Church and Altar, in Latin. I believe there are specific invocations when it's sung for a Dedication. Is there a notated version of this anywhere? The Latin text itself would be highly useful. Is there any difference the modern Dedication Litany and the one found in the Pontificale Romanum of Leo XIII? That one is free online. Many thanks in advance. Sorry if this was already addressed, I couldn't spot it in a search.

I guess I can also ask this here. Why is it that the Ceremonial of Bishops mentions the Litany replacing the Prayers of the faithful, but the Roman Missal only mentions that the Prayers of the faithful are omitted?
  • BenBen
    It can be found in the graduale romanum, which is available in the CMAA site, I believe.
  • Hi Ben. I've looked at the Graduale, page 831, Litaniae Sanctorum. It doesn't mention consecrating an altar or a church. Is it perhaps in another chapter?
  • Kyrie, eleison.
    Kyrie, eleison.
    Christe, eleison.
    Christe, eleison.
    Kyrie, eleison.
    Kyrie, eleison.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Michael, ora pro nobis.
    Sancti Angeli Dei, orate pro nobis.
    Sancte Ioannes Baptista, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Joseph, ora pro nobis.
    Sancti Petre et Paule, orate pro nobis.
    Sancte Andrea, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Ioannes, ora pro nobis.
    Sancta Maria Magdalena, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Stephane, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Ignati Antiochene, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Laurenti, ora pro nobis.
    Sanctae Perpetua et Felicitas, orate pro nobis.
    Sancta Agnes, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Gregori, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Augustine, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Athanasi, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Basili, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Martine, ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Benedicte, ora pro nobis.
    Sancti Francisce et Dominice, orate pro nobis.
    Sancte Francisce (Xavier), ora pro nobis.
    Sancte Joannes Maria (Vianney), ora pro nobis.
    Sancta Catharina Senensis, ora pro nobis.
    Sancta Teresia (de Avila), ora pro nobis.
    Omnes Sancti et Sanctae Dei, orate pro nobis.

Propitius esto, libera nos, Domine.
    Ab omni malo, libera nos, Domine.
    Ab omni peccatto, libera nos, Domine.
    A morte perpetua, libera nos, Domine.
    Per incarnationem tuam, libera nos, Domine.
    Per mortem et resurrectionem tuam, libera nos, Domine.
    Per effusionem Spiritus Sancti, libera nos, Domine.

Peccatores, te rogamus, audi nos.
    Ut Ecclesiam tuam sanctam regere et conservare digneris, te rogamus, audi nos.
    Ut domnum apostolicum et omnes ecclesiasticos ordines in sancta religione conservare digneris, te rogamus, audi nos.
    Ut cunctis populis pacem et veram concordiam domire digneris, te rogamus, audi nos.
    Ut nosmetipsos in tuo sancto servitio confortare et conservare digneris, te rogamus, audi nos.
    Ut hanc ecclesiam (hoc altare) consecrare digneris, te rogamus, audi nos.
    Iesu, Fili,Dei vivi, te rogamus, audi nos.

Christe, audi nos.
    Christe, audi nos.
    Christe, exaudi nos.
    Christe, exaudi nos.
  • Thank you, Dr. Ford. It is much appreciated. Where did you find this text?
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    Gustavo, I have two files. And you can modify them as necessary. Please let me know if you need anything else. If you wish the original Open Office document that I made with Meinrad font you're most welcome to email me at music.director@olmcfssp.org
    Thanked by 1Gustavo Zayas
  • Gustavo, I have access to the Latin editiones typicae here at the seminary. Blessings, Paul
  • Cantus, thank you. I would love to use your formatted version, but it is missing the supplication Ut hanc ecclesiam (hoc altare) consecrare digneris, te rogamus, audi nos. I believe this marks the Litany as specific for a dedication. Can you provide me with a file I could modify?

Dr. Ford. Which Latin editions are you referring to? I would only assume them to be either the current Caeremoniale Episcoparum or the Pontificale Romanum. I may have to purchase these for my Archdiocese, as we have only the English versions. The Latin resources we do have are very old and dusty. Thank you.
  • Various fascicles of the new Rituale Romanum and of the Pontificale Romanum have been published over the years. I have been scrupulous in getting my seminary library to but them as they come out, because they don't always stay in print. Here is the catalog
    See pages 115 and 116.
    Thanked by 1Gustavo Zayas
  • Dr. Ford, thank you again. I was unaware of a catalog like this. Fortunately, I know a few priests who speak Italian and can help me in ordering at least a few of these books. I am sure our Archdiocese will be better just for having these resources on hand.