Trenchant Schoenberg Quotation
  • I just ran across this quote from Schoenberg in the foreword to his "Structural Functions of Harmony":

"One who cannot control four parts with a certain ability either has not worked seriously or is entirely untalented and should give up music at once."

It would be interesting to apply this standard to many people publishing church music these days. And this is a quote from someone who moved beyond traditional harmony. When did we completely lose sight of the idea that someone who crafts something should have at least a basic level of skill and training at that craft?
  • Kathy
    When people started playing piano chords with their left hand.
  • Hoorah for trenchance!
  • francis
    It's a shame Shoenberg gave up music at once.
  • Clever, but not spot on, Francis.
  • francis
    OK... well he did abandon harmony at one point... did he ever return?
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Brecht's 1943 journal has an entry about answering his door in Santa Barbara to find a gaunt woman asking if he could spare a dime, and being in a hurry to get back to the radio and Schoenberg's "price-stablizing harmonie". I assume he was listening to Opus 43a and riffing on harmonie = "wind band" as well as Schönberg's demonstration of mastery over that piece's idiom.
  • I much prefer Berg to Schoenberg.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • ronkrisman
    "One who cannot control four parts with a certain ability either has not worked seriously or is entirely untalented and should give up music at once."

This quotation says nothing about "people publishing church music these days," to whom Jared applies it. Why limit the quotation to those people? It seems to me it applies equally to a significant percentage of people offering their music and texts on this Forum for free download, which, in turn, elicits the uncritical praise of others on the Forum even though said music and texts would never have a ghost of a chance of being published because it is inferior, uninspired, and uninspiring stuff.

Publishers' rejection letters weed out a lot of such inferior stuff although, unfortunately, not all of it, not by a long shot.
  • ""I certainly had no feeling for harmony, and Schoenberg thought that that would make it impossible for me to write music. He said, 'You'll come to a wall you won't be able to get through.' So I said, 'I'll beat my head against that wall.' " --John Cage

We're not used to absolutes like that. Today I was Tweeting with a percussionist friend who had claimed that "rhythms" was the longest word in English without a true vowel, and I mentioned the late ethnomusicologist William Malm. Dr. Malm had the freshman "ear-cleaning" intro to music history course at University of Michigan, and he told us on the first day of class that we would learn how to spell "rhythm", because if we misspelled it on a test, we would fail the test. My friend opined that this was rude (he used an earthier term), and I pointed out that it worked, and if a person is incapable of spelling a basic term in their field, they should be weeded early. Friend expressed sympathy for dyslexics, and I opined that dyslexics were probably few and far between at U-M 40 years ago.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Fr Krisman- I regularly find it necessary to correct or entirely rewrite chord progressions in music published by one of the publishing houses to which you refer, mainly because the voice leading wouldn't pass a freshman theory class: parallel fifths, leading tones that leap away from their resolutions, hidden parallel octaves, and so on.

I think your little potshot aimed at those composers offering their work free of charge here was truly unnecessary.

That aside, I believe this goes back to the basic premise that the music of the Church must be true art, and Western art music has qualities that are rooted in principles of theory and harmony.

Much of what passes for and is published as "church music" is little more than a confused noise or the musical equivalent of shabby chic.
  • francis
    Publishers' rejection letters weed out a lot of such inferior stuff although, unfortunately, not all of it, not by a long shot.

They also weed out the best in order to find the middle (mediocrity) so they can run a business selling to the largest constituents who will send them money, and kowtow to many of the amateurs who sit on the organ benches (well, these days piano benches). Art, good art, has nothing to do with money, at least in terms of finding and promoting the exceptional as it appears on the horizon.

Publishers (a certain bunch of them) do not "weed out" the inferior. Time and good musician do, tried and true. Much of what is published today is just weeds; most of it, and that includes the 900 pound gorillas. The good music that is time tried comes to the top like the cream, and those publishers who know a good thing stick with it.

I offered my music for free for most of my life. Why? Because publishers couldn't sell it. My compositions were rejected by a number of the publishers, MAINLY because it was too unmarketable. I still offer pieces for free (see latest post, "Psalms for Holy Week" on this forum).

In a hundred years, let's see what rises to the top as cream.

(David Andrew - glad you are back on the forum.)

RichardMix ... a MUSICAL piece by Shoenberg! How about that! Thanks for sharing.

• 'Publishers' rejection letters weed out a lot...of...inferior stuff although...not all of it, not by a long shot.'

Not by a long shot, indeed. One can only gasp in wonder that names such as Marty Haugen and a host of others like him who have gotten to be liturgical household names, thanks to publishers who just couldn't pass up something that would 'really sell' even though it was drivel. I have returned to GIA numerous things that I ordered (editions of Schutz, etc., and stuff such as that referenced above by David Andrew) which were not anything near the scholarly editions that I would teach to anyone. I do assume that our honourable and esteemed friend, Fr Krisman, is not responsible for these lapses. And, of course, GIA is not the only offender... just the biggest one. (It's astonishing to recall that GIA stands, or once stood, for Gregorian Institute of America. Well, they haven't been that in a very long time, and their shunning of that monicker for the more commercial and big-business like 'GIA' speaks volumes... after all, there's not a lot of money involved in being a Gregorian Institute, is there!)
    Thanked by 2francis tomjaw
  • ronkrisman
    I think your little potshot aimed at those composers offering their work free of charge here was truly unnecessary.

My bad, David. If you took my words to be a "little potshot," I must not have made myself clear.

I regularly find it necessary to correct or entirely rewrite chord progressions in music published by one of the publishing houses to which you refer.

A generalization such as this says absolutely nothing. If you "regularly" find it necessary to do such rewrites, it should not be difficult for you to give five or ten or more citations of what you rewrote.
    Much of what passes for and is published as "church music" is little more than a confused noise or the musical equivalent of shabby chic.

Another generalization ultimately signifying nothing.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • francis
    Fr. Krisman... you really don't want us to point out the bad voice leading... do you? I avoid all the new hymn harmonizations by most of the publishers today and fall back to the 1940 or before. Some are acceptable, but they are far and few between.

I go to the extreme and paste the new words (when I have to use the hymnal in the pew) onto the old settings. Thank God for my Macintosh, Sibelius and InDesign.

Here is a setting I did a few hours ago. The harmonies are from the NOH.
  • ronkrisman
    Fr. Krisman... you really don't want us to point out the bad voice leading... do you?

Of course I do! Perhaps the publishers will see it.

(By the way, I am not an apologist for GIA, or the "big 3," or commercial publishers in general. I don't like bad liturgical music, no matter where it is found.)
  • francis
    Fr. Krisman

How much do you pay per hour to fix harmonies... or better yet, represent better ones altogether? Unfortunately, I think the hitch would be I would not want to lend my harmonies to the poor theological texts.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    That sounds like a copout.

He called you out. You'll lose credibility if you don't deliver.

I believe you, but I'd like to see some proof...
  • francis
    That sounds like a copout.
    He called you out. You'll lose credibility if you don't deliver.
    I believe you, but I'd like to see some proof...

Adam: Is this a comment about my last comment?
  • francis
    Off the top of my head:

Example of bad voice leading

• francis
    Two better solutions:

610 x 801 - 89K
    940 x 793 - 125K
  • francis
    Here's an attempt at a 10 minute fixer upper... trying to keep some of the parts already composed.
  • francis
    ...and fixer upper with notations (knocking on 'Wood') Double thirds aren't a crime in some spots, but that one hurts!
  • Francis, you’ve got a parallel octave in the first full bar between the soprano and tenor.

IMO, if you’re looking for examples of bad voice-leading from the big 3 Roman publishers, harmonizations of the standard hymnody aren’t the really egregious places to start. The places to start are where no one really cares whether it jives with what they teach in introductory theory courses anyway.
  • francis
    Felipe:

In which version?

In the fixer upper? No, there is an eighth note in the tenor which 'staggers' the crime.
  • francis
    Well, we purchased Gather III and the first time we went to sing St. Anne, I couldn't bear it. Hence one of the ones I fixed years ago.

To me the egregious ones are the many with silly piano accompaniments and are very new agey in the text.
  • CharlesW
    Having used Ritual Song for 15 or so years, I still detest the Proulx hymn harmonizations and replace them with earlier and more standard arrangements. I know he was considered something of either a prophet or saint in Chicago, but his discordant arrangements tend to make it more difficult for the congregation to sing. On top of that, they are just plain ugly. That hymnal caused one veteran musician in my area to say, "I can't believe what they have done to 'Holy God..." I don't use the GIA harmonization, but appreciate that someone had to really work at it to screw up "Grosser Gott..." Those supposedly "new and fresh" harmonizations rarely live up to the standards from the older hymnals. BTW, "Holy God..." is not a Proulx thing. Someone else did that arrangement. Even when hymn arrangements may be original or authentic, why use them if they depart from what your congregation knows and will sing?
    Thanked by 1francis
  • ryandryand
    It seems to me it applies equally to a significant percentage of people offering their music and texts on this Forum for free download, which, in turn, elicits the uncritical praise of others on the Forum even though said music and texts would never have a ghost of a chance of being published because it is inferior, uninspired, and uninspiring stuff.

A generalization such as this says absolutely nothing.

Both quotes from the same source. Yet they seem to be two forumers arguing with eachother. Heh.
    Thanked by 2Kathy Adam Wood
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I still detest the Proulx hymn harmonizations and replace them with earlier and more standard arrangements

I always regarded Proulx's penchant and pretense as intended to mimic or honor Bartok, perhaps as an effort to raise some imagined need for an elevated aesthetic. The most egregious example was his (OCP) "Responsorial Mass" commissioned for SJPII's Papal Tour of the USA. The melodies of each movement were truly, nobly simple/elegant. Why he then chose to then cobble on his faux-chic clusters in the SATB/organ resulted in a Frankenstein's monster of an Ordinary. I remember it well as when I arrived at the Fresno Cathedral in 87, I had a few choristers who'd sung it in Los Angeles and thus thought it was an admirable achievement by them. I completely reset the whole Mass, keeping each melody in tact, took the choir through it, and those same singers said, "Oh, that's much better. How'd you do that?"
    That is not to however say that Proulx's entire catalogue is bereft of beauty. "Jesus, lead the way" comes to mind.

PS. Fr. K, Tho' I appreciate your apology, I believe you meant every word of that caustic insult towards anyone who posts a composition here. I have published arrangements of mine with OCP which were far superior to those done by my predecessor for a mediocre songwriter. But I can tell you that with the exception of Randy DeBruyn, not a one of that editorial board which approved said collection were more competent theorists or arrangers than I. We also have national composition contest winners posting here regularly. And when someone new posts something substandard here, likely out of naivete, criticism is more often than not offered kindly. I have reviewed Ostrowski and Kwasniewski over at the Cafe quite thoroughly on occasion, and I don't think either Jeff or Peter would take umbrage if I said that not every work was a gem. But disparaging remarks such as yours could prompt folks to examine your catalogue with a critical eye just as informed as your pros at GIA. That would also be unnecessary.
  • dad29
    I always regarded Proulx's penchant and pretense as intended to mimic or honor Bartok, perhaps as an effort to raise some imagined need for an elevated aesthetic.

Yes. A little pompous. His Ubi Caritas is terrible.
  • Kathy
    While I defer to my learned colleagues re : arrangements and composition, I do not think it would be fair to dismiss his efforts tout court. It seems to me that at a critical juncture in church music history, he was among the few aiming at truly worthy musical art.

Proulx is one of the reasons we turned the corner from the road that leads to all pop, all the time.
  • francis
    {warning... apodictic statement follows}
    While I defer to my learned colleagues re : arrangements and composition, I do not think it would be fair to dismiss his efforts tout court. It seems to me that at a critical juncture in church music history, he was among the few aiming at truly worthy musical art.

Kathy. The key word in your statement above is, 'It seems to me'.

Questionable at best.

Here's looking at it with the other eyeball. It always "seemed to me" that he was one of the leaders of a cloaked regime presenting itself as the "conservative musical effort", and in reality that camp wasn't and isn't interested in our tradition as much as 'updating' its musical content to match the 'updated' theological content of the NO. The goal was to reinvent the musical wheel.
    Proulx is one of the reasons we turned the corner from the road that leads to all pop, all the time.

Slippery slope.

"O, this is great! Let's do this!"

In the end you wind up going off the cliff of leaving tradition in the dust.

Bring back true sacred music.

And yes, I forgot to mention his music... I confer with the comments in that he represents mediocrity just a step above the middle, and his SATB writing is atrocious at times. I think he may have been strung along, poor soul.

• melofluentmelofluent
    That is not to however say that Proulx's entire catalogue is bereft of beauty. "Jesus, lead the way" comes to mind.

Concur.
    However, during "his era" there were a number of very artful composers, Thomas Savoy, Ralph Verdi, Leo Nestor, Howard Hughes, even John Schiavone among others, whose work met the criterion of "beautiful" a little more directly.
  • Kathy
    Proulx had a vision and a platform and the energy to implement an idea.

I am not saying it was an unqualified success. I have no love for Mass for the city (do re mi fa sol la sol) , and I always brace myself at ordinations in anticipation of the oversinging and the timpani. And hopefully we're all moving past this paradigm.

But, it was a complete paradigm in its way, and the beginning moment of shaking loose from our headlong drive to utter banality.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • CharlesW
    I didn't like some of his music, especially his hymn harmonizations, as I have noted. Maybe the place and culture had something to do with it. I generally had negative impressions of Holy Name to begin with. The building had been vandalized far from its original architecture and decoration after the Council and had become quite ugly. The organ was hideous and sounded harsh, unpleasant, and out of place in that building. The altar looked like something that some post-conciliar Klingon artist accidentally let fall from a passing space ship. Nearly everything about the place screamed ugly, ugly, ugly! Or perhaps it screamed, new-church, new-church, new-church! ;-)

My understanding was that Proulx was an Episcopalian, not a Catholic. Maybe it's an advanced case of Haugen-phobia, but I look with suspicion on some of the non-Catholics who are producing music for Catholic worship. I tend to wonder if they have any understanding of the worship they are attempting to influence - or subvert, in Haugen's case.
  • Kathy
    It was the 80s. Does anyone remember the 80s?
  • CharlesW
    It was the 80s. Does anyone remember the 80s?

Yes, and much, much more! LOL.
  • Kathy
    You had either St Louis Jesuits/ Ray Report/ GP in the 80s, or the elderly choir singing Oh Lord I Am Not Worthy. Those were your options. We needed a transition to something else moving forward.
  • tomjaw
    Kathy, I remember the 80's I rather liked the... should I call it music? I do remember enjoying it at the time, but much prefer chant now!

N.B. I really can't remember what was sung in the local parish church at the time!
  • CharlesW
    Where I am, we did much of the same that we are doing now, none of the works you mentioned. Different missal translation, to be sure, but that's about the only difference. I think having a pastor for 38 years until he passed away in 1997, followed by another pastor who retired in 2014, has given us a continuity lacking in many places. Both men were rather traditional in preference and practice. With our new pastor, the trend continues. I suspect we have been and are blessed - either that, or are so independent and difficult no one different from our mold wants to deal with us. LOL.
  • francis
    Or perhaps it screamed, new-church, new-church, new-church! ;-)

My understanding was that Proulx was an Episcopalian, not a Catholic. Maybe it's an advanced case of Haugen-phobia, but I look with suspicion on some of the non-Catholics who are producing music for Catholic worship. I tend to wonder if they have any understanding of the worship they are attempting to influence - or subvert, in Haugen's case.

Spot on, CW
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Kathy
    One of Fr Z's refrains is "Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good.'

My version would be "Welcome imperfect steps that lead in the right direction. "
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Was Shoenberg Catholic?
  • CharlesW
    He was Jewish, at least according to St. Wikipedia the All-Knowing. He moved to the U.S. in 1934, probably because the Nazis appreciated him so greatly. They labeled his music as degenerate.
  • francis
    Welcome imperfect steps that lead in the right direction

My qualm is that I don't think it was the right direction.
  • Kathy
    Yes, it was. These steps were faltering, the next steps were faltering, but pretty soon most Proulx-oriented cathedrals started moving towards chant and polyphony. Non-Proulx programs sang pablum and moved forward to more pablum.

The difference is this: Proulx was aiming at art. He wasn't aiming at the musical equivalent of cartooning.

The reform of the reform wouldn't be around if it weren't for this semi-wrong direction. Or it would be 20 years behind (as most of Europe still is).
  • francis
    That is how it seems to you, not how it seems to me.

If efforts were made to actually instill the authentic music of the church in workshops, publications, choir rehearsals, private teaching, establishing a schola and teaching GC, and then composing pieces that promoted the tradition (organ, not brass and timpani), then it would have been the right direction.
  • Kathy
    Francis.

"Direction" is an arrow. If it leads to where you are aiming, it's the right direction.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    Was Schoenberg Catholic?

No. Born Jewish, became Lutheran in 1898, resumed Judaism in 1933.
  • ghmus7
    It's very true that a cursory glance at any of M. Haugens compositions show bad and incorrect voice leading, parallel octaves and fifths, backward and awkward harmonies, abrupt "modulations" and the like.
    However, please do not put Richard Proulx in this category. They are miles apart.
    I find his hymn harmonizations entirely credible and usable. He was a master musician and grappled with the shock of Vatican II head on with great accomplishment. I am rather taken aback at the cavalier dismissal of a musical great. Do we have anyone like him today? Just a brief glance at the vast catalogue of choral music that he arranged and wrote is humbling. I think Community Mass will last.
    Thanked by 3chonak Choirparts Heath