Trenchant Schoenberg Quotation
  • '...was aiming at art...'

What a nice thing to say about someone who missed the mark. Yes, he was aiming in the right direction. Perhaps he should have studied Howells and Britten a little more closely. And, while I don't agree with my esteemed friend, Gregory Hamilton, that P was a master musician, he seems rather in a class by himself. I have sung several of his things that were, really, pretty good, if not outright good. Mostly, though, he is disappointing - sort of like some of Willan's less-than-admirable stuff that he churned out for his publishers. (However, Willan really was a master!)
  • According to publicity from the American Guild of Organists (AGO):
    In 2006, Richard Proulx was selected as the recipient of the Distinguished Composer Award from the American Guild of Organists. The prestigious award, created in 1986, is presented biennially to recognize outstanding composers of organ and choral music in the United States. Previous award recipients include: Virgil Thomson, Ned Rorem, Daniel Pinkham, Samuel Adler, Dominick Argento, William Albright, Conrad Susa, Emma Lou Diemer, Dan Locklair, William Bolcom, Alice Parker, Carl Schalk, Margaret Sandresky, Stephen Paulus, Craig Phillips, and Libby Larsen.
  • francis
    Kathy, I know you are being optimistic and positive and everything, but this just doesn't quite do it for me.
  • Kathy
    Francis, I'm not being positive, exactly. Just grateful that there was a second idiom at the time--an idiom that led forward into better things.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Kathy
    Let me put it this way. Many parishes have taken what can only be considered a low road. Not to mention names, but think of how the folk group led to the contemporary ensemble which is leading to the praise band. It's the Mass With the Friendly Soundtrack.

But some (probably fewer) parishes took the high road, played organ literature, developed serious SATB choirs, trained children to sing quality music.

It's the second group that will be willing to accept chant and polyphony.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Kathy, what is compelling about this whole thread drift, from trenchant Schoenberg to Proulx to a nexus of praxis and who remembers the 80's?.....is that (besides the fact that I have a very demonstrable accounting here and elsewhere of the last 45 years) we're having this discussion on a forum of Musica Sacra. No one has questioned, at all, the intent and effort of maestro Proulx, to maintain the front line of worthy music during tumultuous times. However, despite your rejoinder to compositional colleagues, it is in all our natures to re-examine the medium of of the entity of "musica sacra, sacred music." And the delivery vehicle for your words among your peers of all eras and Holy Writ remains the worthy, equal partner of "the music." Contrary to what ghmus7 states above, there has been no "cavalier dismissal" of M. Proulx. I have programmed his hymns, concertatos and occasionally Mass settings over the span mentioned earlier. But during that whole time, I exercised the same individual discretion about each work with the same diligence as I would a Michael Joncas piece, or a Peter Kwasniewski piece. That is the obligation of someone who has to decide whether the fulcrum of "musica sacra" is authentic or fabricated. This has been my M.O. ever since hitching my wagon to CMAA, much to the consternation of those who conveniently prefer wholesale rejection over honest analysis of worth and value.
    I was going to workshops in 1974 in which Deiss and Westendorf were present for a week, in which experimental "crap" by SF State professor/composer Richard Felciano was trying to be sold as "sacred art" to a bunch of guitarists at a WLP week.
    The music matters. Proulx's modi isn't bound to an era, or an ethos, he likely sat at the keyboard like all of the rest of us now, asking and debating himself, "Is this more than sufficient to deliver this sacral language?" And as you point out, in the vacuum of a certain period of honest evolution of "musica sacra," he may have conceded to various distractions mentioned earlier in this thread, and just like some of the strummers and key bangers, a concession to gebrauchsmusick. (Community Mass) YUMV.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Previous award recipients include: Virgil Thomson, Ned Rorem, Daniel Pinkham, Samuel Adler, Dominick Argento, William Albright, Conrad Susa, Emma Lou Diemer, Dan Locklair, William Bolcom, Alice Parker, Carl Schalk, Margaret Sandresky, Stephen Paulus, Craig Phillips, and Libby Larsen.

Father, as admirable a rally that may be, such honoraria are bestowed for a wide variety of achievements. The above litany, as you and any knowledgeable choral director/composer would know, is a disparate group itself. How would you account for the inclusion of the lovely Alice Parker of great respect with or without Robert Shaw, among the dialectic of Thomson, Rorem, Pinkham, Argento, Diemer or Paulus, all of whom worked very different sides of the compositional streets? Apples, oranges, and loquats.
    Again, lux aeterna to Richard Proulx. His legacy will still be in play for a hundred years or more.
  • francis
    Kathy:

I know where you are coming from, but I WAS one of the guitarists in the 70's and the 80's, played all the Proulx that emerged in the hymnals and such along with all the other crazy innovative stuff that came down the pike.

I THOUGHT I was trying to shoot in the general direction of 'right' all the time, but I missed the mark for decades. For ten years (in the 90s) I went into a proverbial cave and prayed for wisdom and guidance. There was none to be had. Then finally, in the mid 2000's I ran into Msgr. Schuler who invited me to a colloquium in DC. At that time there were 47 of us, including instructors and participants. The light went on as I watched them HIT the target. Bullseye!

From that moment on, my perspective was crystallized -- in that single week. It could not have been a clearer path, a truer paradigm. There were no more questions. Only learning and catch up and a long time of lamenting the decades of the void in which I lived (still lamenting).

Very few today seem to understand the essence of musica sacra. Very few, and those few (whom I know) are right here on this forum in the CMAA.

Personally, I am not shooting in a general direction any more. I am deterimined to hit the target, the bullseye, as close as I can. I am practicing to be the best archer in the field from here on out since I am now in the later years of life during these very difficult, trying and confusing times.

I pray that more of my colleagues will experience and realize the same.
  • francis
    American Guild of Organists

IMHO, they don't have a clue about Musica Sacra in the RC tradition. Maybe individuals within the org understand, but to me they are more Unitarian in thought and theology.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, Father was kindly phishing, IMO. Even he qualified his endorsement with an "according to...."
    I know you have a more stringent ethos than I about RCC sacred music future, but we likely agree that its foundation, in any language, must be grounded in chant and polyphony and perhaps eastern homophony at the least.
    However, the likelihood of that achievement remains in great question.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • francis
    melo:

yes, i believe we agree more than most. good to know you!

as for likelihood of achievement, i heartily and with great enthusiasm invite the rest of musicdom to get on with it! thanks for being a part.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • CharlesW
    IMHO, they don't have a clue about Musica Sacra in the RC tradition. Maybe individuals within the org understand, but to me they are more Unitarian in thought and theology.

BINGO! As a long-time AGO member, I can tell you the organization is anything but Catholic. I about half-way expect to pick up this month's magazine and read an article by the latest transgendered and musically confused Unitarian AGO chaplain. LOL. Fortunately, it isn't that bad yet, but they have had some really misdirected reverend doctor hyphenated last names in that position, all from churches many would not even call Christian. Even locally, AGO events do a great job of presenting what is currently in vogue in the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A.

Awards? To understand the true value of awards one only has to look at the awards given by NPM to such as Haugen - you can add Joncas and Haas since I am sure they were awarded something, too. Perhaps showing up at conventions is the greatest requirement for getting an award? Don't forget paying outrageous dues - outrageous considering what the organization offers in exchange.

Meant to say Francis, not Kathy. I CAN'T imagine Kathy with a guitar. Francis? With a guitar? I can envision bell-bottoms and headbands. What a picture! Heeheehee! Shocked, but in a pleasant way. This had to be a greater conversion than Paul on the road to Damascus. LOL.
  • Kathy
    I don't think we'll get anywhere helpful by dogpiling the AGO, any more than dogpiling Proulx.

Francis, I see now why we are talking past one another. You are talking about your personal journey, while I'm talking about the American church music scene at large. So apples and oranges. If we want to get biographical, I've played guitar, tambourine, bass (upright and electric), recorder (soprano and alto), and marimba at Mass, and have sung many a descant that would do Mary Travers one better.

But I don't make the decisions. Priests make the decisions. Usually, whatever priests sang as seminarians is "normal" church music. That's what they ask for in their parishes. But--something can shake up that normal a little: ordinations. Over the past three decades, in many situations, priests have come from their standard pablum parishes to the cathedral and have heard the tympani and whatever, and have been awakened to the possibility that there is something more than they'd bargained for.

It's that "something more" that leaves a door open for the Reform of the Reform.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I don't think we'll get anywhere helpful by ... dogpiling Proulx.

With a due respect, I don't believe for a moment your caricature is accurate or charitable. Even though this thread has a wide drift, I believe the discussion of maestro Proulx's compositional output has been civil and on point. Kathy, you exacerbated this aspect of the thread by challenging some reasonable assessments wherein capable reviewers illustrated how m.Proulx's harmonic vocabulary could be seen to submerge his texts and melodies. You switched the focus to his legacy. No one, save francis, contested that, and francis' POV has no personal invalidity challenging your POV.
    You have not commented further upon the larger issue of whether it is fair game to discern the relationship and ratio of hymn to tune integrity and beauty, which has been introduced to the discussion. Why would you divert attention away from that by scolding some other opinions?
    Lastly, in that scolding, did you realize that those who participated in this valid and reasonable thread just might not be flattered by being deemed "dogs" pouncing on something?
  • Kathy
    Charles,

I seem to recall that you agreed not to pick these ludicrous fights anymore.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    And I thought you were a champion of unfettered speech of the forum.
    Fine, this ludicrous sleeping dog now lies down.
  • francis
    This is not a fight, it's a discussion about a critical aspect of what was, what is and where is going, sacred music, and it is a passionate subject to be sure.

The likes of Haugen and Proulx (as figureheads of their craft) during the emerging VII music scene, WERE the model that each camp looked to for leadership. Well, that is ending if it has not ended. The grass roots are springing up, strong and sturdy, and the weeds will remain but be dealt with in the end.

I am not dogpiling, Kathy. I am calling a spade a spade. I am spayding the dogs, not piling them. :). And that goes for both the confused leaders of sacred music and the AGO. I was a member of both. Experience is the best teacher and informer.

I speak my mind here mainly for upcoming and aspiring musicians who are seeking clarity about what sacred music is about. Perhaps my words will help one or two of them to find the right path instead of running after butterflies that appear in the field and wind up going off a cliff.
  • Kathy
    Francis,

Haugen continues. More of the same. Whereas Proulx has faded, giving way to chant and polyphony. It's all about the legacy, baby.

It reminds me of the old joke about Dominicans and Jesuits.

What is similar about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders?   

Well, they were both founded by Spaniards, St. Dominic for the Dominicans, and St. Ignatius of Loyola for the Jesuits.    

They were also both founded to combat heresy: the Dominicans to fight the Albigensians, and the Jesuits to fight the Protestants.

What is different about the Jesuit and Dominican Orders?   

Well, have you met any Albigensians lately?
  • Naturally, we decide to turn off computers and phones for the weekend, right after I start this post! It's always interesting where these things go. I think Fr. Krisman's original comment is interesting, although it seemed a bit defensive (are you still following this thread, Father?). My post was not a potshot at any particular publisher - rather, it had to do with a general culture which assumes that anything set down on a page in an octavo is a "composition" worthy of the name. Along with the idea that only the intention of the composer is important, and that any discussion of technical skill and "craft" is irrelevant in sacred music. Along with the idea that chord progressions from the singer-songwriter idiom can be transferred wholesale to keyboard and choir with absolutely no thought to the tradition of voice-leading. It's true, one of the prime offenders, where all of the above is concerned, is the GIA Celebration series of "octavos" - sloppily over-orchestrated versions of the singer-songwriter idiom greatest hits. But in fairness, all major publishers I've seen have similar publications. And in fairness to Fr. Krisman, things that are published here at the forum are often less than stellar. I will even mention a name - the Richard Rice Simple Choral Gradual, in which, although the voice-leading is correct, the level of musical inspiration is...Simply...not acceptable in my book. All apologies to R. Rice - I know he is a fine musician and this collection was consciously far, far, on the side of Simplicity for practical purposes. Just so far on that side that personally I cannot bring myself to use it in any music program I've led. I will now hide in a bunker to avoid the digital rotten fruit being thrown at my head.

As far as the Proulx discussion, one thing that frankly worries me about the CMAA is a myopia about fine music-making and efforts that have not come from within the CMAA "camp" or "inner circle" if you will. In the past year and a half I presented at the CMAA conference at St Agnes in the Twin Cities, and attended the Conference of Roman Catholic Cathedral Musicians also in the TC. It worries me that the CMAA is not more conversant with the work that was done at Cathedrals in America after the council - in many cases a desperate attempt to salvage the treasury and stand out as an island of sanity in the flood of terrible music. And Proulx was one of the big names in that effort, for decades before CMAA was a true influence in the music scene the way it is today. Many efforts the CMAA seems to think it invented out of hopeless chaos were already underway at least at certain visionary Cathedrals. The CMAA would do well to study more efforts outside of Schuler and his circle (as admirable as those efforts may be).
  • francis
    Jared:

I am not lauding Schuler here, I am lauding the tradition of GC, polyphony and organ as its mainstay, and it has been around longer than any organization that exists today or ever existed.

As far as I am concerned about NEW composition, well, polyphony (settings of the ordinary and motets for voice and instrumental works for organ) are about as far as new works should go. Otherwise we should stick to the common repertoire of THE chant.

Kathy:

I guess I am all about exposing the 'protestant' mentality (both theology and music) that seems to have taken up residence within our walls.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Jared, you are absolutely correct about the "oasis'" (plural) of cathedral and parishes that kept the sacred music candles lit in the windows during foggy decades. I inasmuch provided a litany above of only a few names, predominantly GIA-published composers besides Proulx, that provided excellence as far back as the seventies beyond Peloquin and Proulx. For the record, I have lauded the legacy of Proulx at least twice in this thread. I don't think there is necessarily a true myopia in the CMAA mindset. Even tho' Fr. Schuler's legacy is still alive, particularly with the likes and talent of Buchholz, Professor Mahrt has not been hide-bound to chant/Palestrina/Victoria et al ever in his half-century's tenure. And for every Kevin Allen motet he's probably prepared, he has also likely a Lauridsen or Taverner programmed along the way. As far as Richard Rice is concerned, The SCP, not unlike Bartlett's SEP, ought to be regarded as a stepping stone that enables the recovery of sound choral praxis in Catholic churches. His other Choral Communio collection must be lauded as the fine art next step for recovering and restoring the choir to its rightful office in the liturgy.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My understanding was that Proulx was an Episcopalian, not a Catholic.

He was Catholic, until he wasn't.

He was received into the Episcopal Church.
    Now he's dead.
    (COINCIDENCE?!?!)

• Kathy
    It worries me that the CMAA is not more conversant with the work that was done at Cathedrals in America after the council - in many cases a desperate attempt to salvage the treasury and stand out as an island of sanity in the flood of terrible music. And Proulx was one of the big names in that effort, for decades before CMAA was a true influence in the music scene the way it is today. Many efforts the CMAA seems to think it invented out of hopeless chaos were already underway at least at certain visionary Cathedrals. The CMAA would do well to study more efforts outside of Schuler and his circle (as admirable as those efforts may be).
    Jared, thank you for saying what I have been trying to get across above.
  • CharlesW
    He was Catholic, until he wasn't.

He was received into the Episcopal Church.
    Now he's dead.
    (COINCIDENCE?!?!)

Reminds me of the sales rep for a large pipe organ company. He, according to legend, joined the church of prospective customers, generated the buzz for a new organ, got himself on the new organ committee, and made another successful sale. He's dead, also, so we can't ask him anything now. Coincidence? Ya think?
  • CharlesW
    Richard Rice SCG:

We haven't practiced in three weeks because of snow and ice. I passed out SCG communion chants each Sunday and the choir read them at sight. They couldn't have done that with anything more difficult.

Digital rotten fruit: Oh, come on! If I bother to throw anything I will make sure it is something that will hurt when it hits. Otherwise, it's not worth the energy expenditure. LOL.

I readily admit SCG is simplistic, but it is useful and serves a purpose. Rice has written better since along with many other fine compositions. I tried getting my choir to sing some of the Weber chants, which I like considerably. They rebelled saying they do enough chant already and don't want to do any more. Move on to plan "B."

I think there is plenty of good music out there from a number of sources. It isn't the lack of music that causes so much U.S. church music to be bad, it is the lack of will to do anything better. Now that's genuinely rotten fruit!
  • francis
    Kathy and Jared:

What you both espouse is doing something DIFFERENT than what the church has always done, in the name of "conservative sacred music". The problem is, that you are trying to do something DIFFERENT. That is NOT what the church espouses. It espouses GC, polyphony and organ music. Nothing else. That is our tradition, that is what we should spend our time PROMOTING.

We (and I don't speak for the CMAA, I am speaking to tradition) do not dialogue with those who want to innovate or do something different. Look at the official music books of the church. Graduale, Simplex, Liber, etc. It's all right there. Dig in!
  • Kathy
    Francis,

No one is "espousing" anything. We're talking about historical realities that worked towards--guess what--pipe organs. Gregorian chant. Polyphony.
  • CharlesW
    Pipe organs, Gregorian chant, and polyphony (which even I can get tired of in excess, meaning polyphony) are not the norm in the U.S. church today. Granted, they may become more widespread, which would be fine with me. However, I don't think, or see any evidence that, they will ever again be the only musical game in town. That horse left the barn long ago.
  • Kathy
    They are normal in ex-Proulx-type programs.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Adam Wood
  • CharlesW
    Wonder how hard it would be to get any stats on what is actually being used in the U.S. - or would that be too expensive to even survey? I can tell you what I see in my area. My parish is the only one using chant in my city and the next nearest Catholic parish pipe organ is 100 miles away.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • francis
    Kathy

OK.

That's good.

I am just no longer putting up with doing something different, even if it's a LITTLE different. I am working to bring back the cause.
  • Kathy
    There's a way in which you are like Peter Lombard, Francis.
  • francis
    Kathy

hmmm.... I don't know him. I hope that is good.
  • Kathy
    I'm writing my dissertation on a disagreement that Thomas Aquinas had with him. On this particular question, Peter seems to have skipped over a few important steps in order to be somewhat absolutist :)

One of St Thomas's arguments is a famous Latin saying, which I know only in English. "That which is received is received according to the mode of the receiver." So the giver of a gift--when God gives, for example--has to be aware of the receiver's ability to receive the gift. God gives gifts at times and in ways that we can receive them, and if we are not yet ready, makes us ready. In other words, in this particular example, St Thomas's theology is more process-oriented than Peter Lombard's.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I'm writing my dissertation on a disagreement that Thomas Aquinas had with him.

I hope you will post a copy for us to read.
  • Kathy
    Here's St.Thomas's article from the Summa T. Let me know if you want more!

(The objections reflect Peter Lombard's writings.)

Article 2. Whether charity is something created in the soul?

Objection 1. It would seem that charity is not something created in thesoul. For Augustine says (De Trin. viii, 7): "He that loveth his neighbor, consequently, loveth love itself." Now God is love. Therefore it follows that he loves God in the first place. Again he says (De Trin. xv, 17): "It was said:God is Charity, even as it was said: God is a Spirit." Therefore charity is not something created in the soul, but is God Himself.

Objection 2. Further, God is the life of the soul spiritually just as the soulis the life of the body, according to Deuteronomy 30:20: "He is thy life." Now the soul by itself quickens the body. Therefore God quickens the soulby Himself. But He quickens it by charity, according to 1 John 3:14: "Weknow that we have passed from death to life, because we love thebrethren." Therefore God is charity itself.

Objection 3. Further, no created thing is of infinite power; on the contrary every creature is vanity. But charity is not vanity, indeed it is opposed to vanity; and it is of infinite power, since it brings the human soul to theinfinite good. Therefore charity is not something created in the soul.

On the contrary, Augustine says (De Doctr. Christ. iii, 10): "By charity I mean the movement of the soul towards the enjoyment of God for His own sake." But a movement of the soul is something created in the soul. Therefore charity is something created in the soul.

I answer that, The Master looks thoroughly into this question in 17 of the First Book, and concludes that charity is not something created in thesoul, but is the Holy Ghost Himself dwelling in the mind. Nor does he mean to say that this movement of love whereby we love God is the Holy Ghost Himself, but that this movement is from the Holy Ghost without any intermediary habit, whereas other virtuous acts are from the Holy Ghostby means of the habits of other virtues, for instance the habit of faith orhope or of some other virtue: and this he said on account of the excellence of charity.But if we consider the matter aright, this would be, on the contrary, detrimental to charity. For when the Holy Ghost moves the human mindthe movement of charity does not proceed from this motion in such a way that the human mind be merely moved, without being the principle of this movement, as when a body is moved by some extrinsic motive power. For this is contrary to the nature of a voluntary act, whose principle needs to be in itself, as stated above (I-II, 6, 1): so that it would follow that to love is not a voluntary act, which involves a contradiction, since love, of its verynature, implies an act of the will.Likewise, neither can it be said that the Holy Ghost moves the will in such a way to the act of loving, as though the will were an instrument, for an instrument, though it be a principle of action, nevertheless has not the power to act or not to act, for then again the act would cease to bevoluntary and meritorious, whereas it has been stated above (I-II, 114, 4) that the love of charity is the root of merit: and, given that the will is moved by the Holy Ghost to the act of love, it is necessary that the willalso should be the efficient cause of that act.Now no act is perfectly produced by an active power, unless it be connatural to that power of reason of some form which is the principle of that action. Wherefore God, Who moves all things to their due ends, bestowed on each thing the form whereby it is inclined to the end appointed to it by Him; and in this way He "ordereth all things sweetly" (Wisdom 8:1). But it is evident that the act of charity surpasses the natureof the power of the will, so that, therefore, unless some form be superadded to the natural power, inclining it to the act of love, this sameact would be less perfect than the natural acts and the acts of the other powers; nor would it be easy and pleasurable to perform. And this is evidently untrue, since no virtue has such a strong inclination to its act ascharity has, nor does any virtue perform its act with so great pleasure. Therefore it is most necessary that, for us to perform the act of charity, there should be in us some habitual form superadded to the naturalpower, inclining that power to the act of charity, and causing it to act with ease and pleasure.

Reply to Objection 1. The Divine Essence Itself is charity, even as It is wisdom and goodness. Wherefore just as we are said to be good with thegoodness which is God, and wise with the wisdom which is God (since thegoodness whereby we are formally good is a participation of Divinegoodness, and the wisdom whereby we are formally wise, is a share of Divine wisdom), so too, the charity whereby formally we love our neighbor is a participation of Divine charity. For this manner of speaking is common among the Platonists, with whose doctrines Augustine was imbued; and the lack of adverting to this has been to some an occasion of error.

Reply to Objection 2. God is effectively the life both of the soul bycharity, and of the body by the soul: but formally charity is the life of thesoul, even as the soul is the life of the body. Consequently we may conclude from this that just as the soul is immediately united to the body, so is charity to the soul.

Reply to Objection 3. Charity works formally. Now the efficacy of a formdepends on the power of the agent, who instills the form, wherefore it is evident that charity is not vanity. But because it produces an infiniteeffect, since, by justifying the soul, it unites it to God, this proves theinfinity of the Divine power, which is the author of charity.
  • dad29
    wwoops
  • francis
    dad29... It was in 2005 and it was held at the Basilica in DC... were you there or at another?
  • Kathy
    Just by the way, if anyone wants to send me theology books, feel free to ping me.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Hey dad29 and francis, either my hearing (reading?) aid failed
    and I missed something, or there are posts appearing here
    and really meant for another Discussion, or worse, PM.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Did this thread ever have anything to do with Schönberg?
    Thanked by 1musiclover88
  • Kathy
    Something Francis said, I think.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CharlesW
    Did this thread ever have anything to do with Schönberg?

He's dead, you know! Not Francis - Schoenberg. LOL.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Did this thread ever have anything to do with Schönberg?"

It did for most of the first half dozen or so posts. Here's a different perspective.

Schoenberg did indeed know his (tonal) harmonic craft and voice writing well. While he had a lot to do with the development of 12-tone music, he retained an appreciation for tonal harmony and returned to it from time to time.

Schoenberg's second wife's brother, Rudolf Kolisch, was a composition student of his and an outstanding violinist who, because of an affliction had to learn to play the violin with hands reversed (left hand bowing, right hand on the fingerboard). Rudolf went on to found the "Vienna String Quartet" (which later became the "Kolisch Quartet" and played many Schoenberg works) and, after emigrating to the U.S., founded the Pro Arte Quartet at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

It was when I was an undergraduate at UW-Madison that I became acquainted with Rudolf. I was page turner for the Danish-born pianist, Gunnar Johansen, who was artist-in-residence there (the first ever musician as an artist-in-residence at an American university). It was in connection with some of Gunnar's courses that I got to know Rudolf, and I greatly enjoyed his reminiscences at the time (this was approximately 1960), although I no longer remember many details. But Rudolf's praise and respect for Schoenberg and his music was very high indeed.
  • Andrew_Malton
    I love the Gurrelieder. All of it, not just Seht die Sonne.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Richard Mix
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I love the Gurrelieder, too ... all of it! And Verklaerte Nacht is quite good, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqODySSxYpc

• melofluentmelofluent
    And Verklaerte Nacht is quite good, too.

Oft cited as a Schoenberg apologetic, done it, heard it, still an acquired taste. What isn't?
    I have affection for two pieces of tone rows:
    Wozzeck
    and a piece I wrote for my comp classes with Frank La Rocca. Got an A+ and the nicest compliment ever: "Charles, you should be a comp major."
  • What is interesting to me (and the reason I posted originally) is that you have someone who has consciously moved beyond common practice harmony and voice-leading. But even he would say that any composer worth his salt needs to acquire skill in that craft before finding an individual voice. As far as I know, this is what all truly great composers have said over time, and I find it sad that the entire concept of musical tradition and developed skill in a craft is so lacking much of the time in our current sacred music world.
  • Kathy
    This rings true. In addition to asking, is this sacred? it's helpful to ask, is this music?