Pastoral Music
  • What makes music pastoral? (looking for well-thought out discussion)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    http://www.canticanova.com/articles/misc/art7ai1.htm

This is the best article on the topic I've ever run across.
  • GavinGavin
    Slow compound meter.
  • GavinGavin
    In all seriousness, I think of pastoral music not as a genre, but as a way of exercising liturgical music leadership. Simply put, pastoral musicianship is to lead music exercising, to the extent possible, care for the souls of the parish.

Does the music reinforce sound doctrine? Does it harmonize with the liturgy? Are you drawing from the great Roman tradition? Is it being performed well?

There are of course many other concerns, but I should think a pastoral musician would especially be concerned with these matters.
  • I think that in my mind that this phrase indicates a parish in which the people get their way, as their own wants and desires as far as music and liturgy drive the entire show.

Expect waterfalls, banners and even...clowns. And a Barney Mass.

But this is just in my mind. Other's mileage will vary.
    Thanked by 2francis MatthewRoth
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Slow compound meter.

I.e., something like 6/4 Adagietto or 9/8 Largo?
  • Kathy
    Pastoral symphonies are about meadows and sheep. Therefore, pastoral music is sung only on Rogation days.

You're welcome.
  • Pastoral music?

Hmm, let me see...

Um, that's when the priest says
    'I don't really like chant and most of our people hate it,
    but we are nonetheless going to do some every week
    out of pastoral considerations for those who seem to like it'.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JonLaird
    "Pastoral music" is when the pastor sings the preface dialogue. However, for some, this might be called "pastoral noise." The latter term may also refer to the decibel level of the praise band, or the decibel level of its proponents, when advocating during a liturgy committee meeting.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • ryandryand
    I think that in my mind that this phrase indicates a parish in which the people get their way, as their own wants and desires as far as music and liturgy drive the entire show.

Expect waterfalls, banners and even...clowns. And a Barney Mass.

But this is just in my mind. Other's mileage will vary.

Not just in your mind, but in the church offices, the committees, and the masked intentions of the decision makers of a parish. The articles and comments of the interwebs define pastoral as a beautiful ideal, but in the real world your description is what is meant by "pastoral." Along with other words (ie: vibrant) it is a giant red flag when perusing job descriptions.
  • francis
    It's the music we would like to put out to pasture.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    When people talk about being PASTORAL, I like to (sometimes) remind them that the root is "pastor," which means "shepherd," and among the jobs of shepherd is to make sure the sheep go where they are supposed to go, whether they like it or not.
  • francis
    by hook or crook.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Not just in your mind, but in the church offices, the committees, and the masked intentions of the decision makers of a parish.

I am a decision maker in my parish.

I certainly don't mean to sound arrogant, and I don't mean to insinuate that I answer to no one. But the pastor of our parish isn't afraid to be the pastor, and conversely, he trusts me (and trusts my education and experience) and empowers me.

If you are in one of these places where it is clear that you are at the bottom of the totem pole in matters relating to liturgy and music, and that everyone else, including the DRE, president of parish council, and every choir member are actually the decision makers, and that all you can do is humbly try to beg them to see things your way, then you need to get out and find another parish.

I know - it's not always that easy. But once you make that decision, surely you can get out within a year or two.

But the point is this: the priest should be in charge, and in matters of liturgy and music, you should be second. If that's not the case, your place is probably dysfunctional, and you'll probably also be unhappy there.

Now as to being "Pastoral?" Well it doesn't mean letting people have whatever they want - and it also doesn't mean using the crook of the staff to drag them around by the necks either. You see, for all that I said above, do you think that all of that means that we don't bend to people, ever? No. We do bend and we do give in sometimes. At the end of the day, if a large number of people are complaining about something, it needs to be rethought. Perhaps not abandoned, but maybe approached again later, maybe explained better.

There is a happy medium by where pastors (and their lay staffs) should seek to do what the Church asks us to do, all the while building up the Church "in unity and peace," to quote the GIRM. The definition of "Pastoral" is how this tension is handled in real life.
  • kenstb
    PGA, I really like what you wrote here. The most important word that you used was trust. In my parish, the pastor trusts me in matters of music and liturgy. Trust has to be earned over time, and hopefully after a while experience shows us that we can rely upon each other's expertise. We also have to speak to each other often. I have found that when everyone involved in the liturgy is aware of what is supposed to happen next, there are fewer hiccups and we get a lot more accomplished.
  • Respect would be another important word. If your expertise is not respected as valuable or necessary, then there is no need to trust it.
  • Yes. Those two things exactly.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
  • G
    Pastoral? outstanding in your field.
    (Alternatively,) Out. Standing in your field.
    Baa! Baaaa!

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • Thank you all for your comments!

Suppose the discussion is phrased thus: church music should be governed by the criteria of liturgical, pastoral, and musical, in that order. So liturgical concerns outweigh pastoral ones, and pastoral outweigh musical.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    church music should be governed by the criteria of liturgical, pastoral, and musical, in that order. So liturgical concerns outweigh pastoral ones, and pastoral outweigh musical.

This seems like a form of false dilemma.
  • Surely pastoral musicians stink smell like their sheep?
  • I also fail to see how liturgical, pastoral, and musical can be mutually exclusive categories. Such a framing of the discussion seems to me designed to justify the use at mass of a particular body of music which is recognized by trained musicians as being of rather poor quality. I cannot help but ponder continuously the famous words of Vaughan Williams, written over a hundred years ago:

"The usual argument in favour of bad music is that the fine tunes are doubtless 'musically correct', but that the people want 'something simple'. Now the expression 'musically correct' has no meaning; the only 'correct' music is that which is beautiful and noble. As for simplicity, what could be simpler than 'St. Anne' or 'The Old Hundredth', and what could be finer?

It is indeed a moral rather than a musical issue. No doubt it requires a certain effort to tune oneself to the moral atmosphere implied by a fine melody; and it is far easier to dwell in the miasma of the languishing and sentimental hymn tunes which so often disfigure our services. Such poverty of heart may not be uncommon, but at least it should not be encouraged by those who direct the services of the Church; it ought no longer to be true anywhere that the most exalted moments of a church-goer's week are associated with music that would not be tolerated in any place of secular entertainment."

The only difference today is that much of the musical language heard in contemporary churches is accepted in secular entertainment.
  • ....but that the people want....

There is a certain coterie of folk who are fond of telling us what the people want. Did the people come to them and tell them that? No! These folk simply decided on everybody's behalf, yours, mine, and the people's, that what 'the people' wanted was synomymous with what these folk, cultural iconoclasts and ignoramuses to a man and woman, wanted. No one but them would ever have dreamed of it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    There is a certain coterie of folk who are fond of telling us what the people want. Did the people come to them and tell them that? No! These folk simply decided on everybody's behalf,

Not necessarily true... they might think that EVERYBODY wants X because people like to be agreeable or really don't care.

The following is a conversation from post-Mass doughnut hour...
    Mrs. Tambourine: "I just wish we had more uplifting music at Mass... don't you?"
    Mrs. Harthorne: "Oh yes.. I like leaving Mass feeling uplifted and rejoicing!"
    Mr. Celeryroot (not really having an opinion): "Well... yeah I guess uplifting would be good."
    Ms. Gopher (who likes the music but doesn't want to stand out): "Yeah.. uplifting.."
    Mrs. Tambourine: "I'm going to complain to the pastor..."
    Ms. Gopher: "Well, I'm not sure that's necessary.."
    Mrs. Harthorne: "Nobody's going to change anything unless the priest makes them..."
    Mr. Celeryroot: "I wish we had bearclaws..."
    Ms. Gopher (not liking donuts, but not wanting to stand out): "Yeah... bearclaws.."
    Mrs. Tambourine: "I'm glad we're all in agreement.."
    Mrs. Harthorne: "We surely are!"
    Mr. Celeryroot goes off in search of more pastry.
    Ms. Gopher smiles awkwardly.

The next day Mrs. Tambourine tells the pastor that everyone she talked to at Sunday donuts wants uplifting music and bearclaws.

If Mrs. Tambourine had been at a table with Mr. and Mrs. Youngtrad, they might have have had a harder time saying "everybody." Thus one of our main goals should be to expose young people (children, teens, young adults) to quality sacred music (ancient and modern) to help them become active supporters of good music who are able to speak eloquently about it.
  • Yes, Adam, and my pastor puts pastoral considerations before liturgical, and of course musical in a very distant third. I have this in writing.

Matthew, the important thing in your conversation there was that nobody disagreed. You're totally correct about people wanting to be agreeable, which is why they don't challenge strong views like Mrs Tambourine up there. If Mr and Mrs Youngtrad had been there the most important thing they could have done was spoken out about their views. If Tambourine says she's going to the pastor to get more "uplifting music," they also should have done the same, but express their own views. The pastor needs to actually hear from everyone, not just those that say they represent them.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    AmChurch of Nice (not a town in France) stands oh so close to a sinkhole.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • CharlesW
    I have dealt with Mrs. Tambourine. When she said she wanted to be "uplifted" I mentioned that it would take a fork lift to uplift someone of her size. She threatened to go to the pastor. I said, "be my guest," since I knew he would put up with her for even less time than I would. I mentioned to the Mrs. that we have one mass where they do her "uplifting" music, and that the overwhelming majority of the morning congregation doesn't want to be uplifted, and that the whole parish is not all about her. Lastly, I mentioned St. Swishybottom by the Sea to the north of us, where anything goes. I suggested she might be happier there. I should add that "sea" is little more than a pond.
  • SalieriSalieri
    CharlesW: I laughed so hard, I'm crying right now!
  • I also fail to see how liturgical, pastoral, and musical can be mutually exclusive categories.

Ah, the famous triumvirate from Music In Catholic Worship and Sing To The Lord.

If you have not read the pertinent sections from these documents, I encourage that. Perhaps you statement will be clarified.
  • Perhaps not.
  • melofluentmelofluent

If you have not read the pertinent petrified sections from....MCW.
    Fixed.
    In no universe that I wish to inhabit does a "pastoral" concern trump a music concern.
  • In no universe that I wish to inhabit does a "pastoral" concern trump a music concern.

I think that I don't agree with you. In fact, I wouldn't want to inhabit a universe where a pastoral concern is always the last of the three concerns in order of importance.

Let's do a thought experiment. Suppose that my pastor gets transferred to St. Mary of Suburbia and later asks me to join him as his DOM there. Now at our current church, the music at mass is very close to ideal IMHO. We use Latin, we use chant, we sing polyphony, make use of the propers and only sing very sturdy English hymnody, accompanied on the organ. Suppose that St. Mary of Suburbia has a music program that uses Mass of Creation each week, coupled with 3 Haugen/Haas et al songs, with maybe one "traditional" hymn thrown in. No propers, DEFINATELY no Latin, and no chant.

Now how do you suppose I should approach this new assignment? Should I go in and say "Well, as you know you have a new pastor, and I'm the new DOM. So the music program here will immediately be very similar to the one that I used to run at my last parish?" Such an approach would be divisive and would even likely cause a loss of faith for some people. People rely on church to be constant; such dramatic change really does drive people away.

What I would actually do is probably make very few changes for a while. My presence and the fact that I would not be their former director would be traumatic enough. Eventually, I would maybe start using the organ more, maybe introduce ICEL chants in English over the summer, and make a few other small changes. Then we would go from there.

So in this case, yes, I would absolutely let pastoral concerns trump the music and liturgical. IMO it is the right thing to do in such a scenario.
    Thanked by 1Mark Husey
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    The three criteria are intertwined. Good liturgy is musical and pastoral. Pastoral concerns include musical quality. Music that is out of place is bad music. Etc....
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen melofluent
  • Such an approach would be divisive and would even likely cause a loss of faith for some people.

Again, this notion of divisiveness. Who divides from whom? Does the DM divide the people, or do they divide themselves based on the actions of the DM, because some of them cannot or will not accept the changes that are to come?

Consider the case of Fr. Robideau: was it he who divided his parish, or was it his parish that divided itself over him?

I disagree that certain approaches or actions or types of music or choices we make as DMs are "divisive." I do agree that people in certain places will divide themselves over whether or not they like or dislike the change that has been made. I want to point out that this happens with any change you make at the parish level: even introducing a new Mass setting.

The parish gets divided when they have to make a choice about whether or not they like something you've done. That's when you get "divisiveness," and at this point, we're worrying about who is right, not what is right, which is contained in the Church's documents and teachings, which PGA has rightly pointed out in several places on this forum.
  • kenstb
    I agree with what PGA just wrote. In fact, I would go further to say that before taking over as the new DM, one should quietly attend several masses at the new parish to get a feel for where the congregation is liturgically. This can help in assessing the best way to improve the music at mass, and avoid culture shock being imposed on the people from above. Folks in my area tend to resent being dictated to, even if the dictator is correct. It is also important to remember that most of the people we work with in the parish setting do not have our training or experience and so we need to bring them along slowly by first meeting them where they are.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Folks in my area everywhere tend to almost always resent being dictated to, even if especially when the dictator is correct

Fixed.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • kenstb
    Thanks Adam.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It is also important to remember that most of the people we work with in the parish setting everywhere do not have our training or experience a lick of common sense or decency and so we need to bring them along slowly by first meeting them where they are. beat them with an antique push broom while throwing cheese at them
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PGA, I believe you occasionally take statements too literally, as I do now and then.
    First of all, I did make it clear that MCW judgments are history.
    This is a CMAA-affiliated forum. The so-called three judgments adhered to (and reinforced time and again by Mahrt)) I believe are originally attributed to St. Pius X from Tra le solicitudini, music suitable for worship of God is "Sacred, Universal and Beautiful." That's my universe. You can inhabit your universe, no skin off my....
    Hypotheticals are subjective and of little interest to me. I don't have one bit of problem employing Temple's "Prayer of St. Francis" if the circumstances call for it. If that "makes" me pastoral, bully for me. However, if I can employ Mark Haye's superb arrangement of the same tune, I've made a musical judgment that better suits the so-called pastoral judgment. It's more beautiful than a "strum diddy diddy dum" version.
    Just keeping it real.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • CharlesW
    There have been those times when all the years of weightlifting paid off, and I was able to say, "You know I could hurt you?" A last resort in extreme circumstances, to be sure, when dealing with the "uplifted" and adamant. Some of them need a good smacking.

When I look into Church history and worship in the Old Testament, some things emerge strongly. Worship had form, ceremonial, consecrated priests, holy places, items consecrated for God's service, and rubrics. It was LITURGICAL! There were no cases of the official religion telling everyone to do as they pleased or as they felt. A good lesson there for the uplifted wannabes.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • "Good" music, like good preaching, will comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
    I suspect "pastoral" music would have a similar response.
    Use only as directed.
  • chonakchonak
    CharlesW, who spent years training with weights, wrote:
    A good lesson there for the uplifted wannabes.

Now there's a mental image for ya.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    There are weights, then there are the large, spoiled, over-indulged folks who want to be "uplifted." BIG difference. LOL.
  • Again, this notion of divisiveness. Who divides from whom? Does the DM divide the people, or do they divide themselves based on the actions of the DM, because some of them cannot or will not accept the changes that are to come?

Consider the case of Fr. Robideau: was it he who divided his parish, or was it his parish that divided itself over him?

I disagree that certain approaches or actions or types of music or choices we make as DMs are "divisive." I do agree that people in certain places will divide themselves over whether or not they like or dislike the change that has been made. I want to point out that this happens with any change you make at the parish level: even introducing a new Mass setting.

The parish gets divided when they have to make a choice about whether or not they like something you've done. That's when you get "divisiveness," and at this point, we're worrying about who is right, not what is right, which is contained in the Church's documents and teachings, which PGA has rightly pointed out in several places on this forum.

I don't mean this as a criticism of you at all, so don't think I'm being rude.

You are talking about "the way things ought to be." I'm talking about "the way things are."

I've known firsthand of several parishes where a new DOM came in and immediately redesigned the music program in their own image with the support of the pastor. In a couple cases, it was people transforming a "typical suburban" music program into something more sublime. In a couple other cases it was someone turning things in the opposite direction. In each case I've heard from people personally involved.

In each of those cases, even the people most sympathetic to the changes (indeed, they WISHED for such changes) say that it was those changes that divided their parish. In most cases they say "I was glad that the changes came, but in the end it probably wasn't worth it for what it did to the parish."

You can talk semantics about who did the dividing and where the blame SHOULD go. But any of those people involved in those cases would tell you the same thing: "Whether the music was good or bad before, the parish was at least not DIVIDED the way it is today."

These things have serious consequences. People literally leave the faith when they feel the rug has been pulled out from under them at their parish. Couple these types of dramatic, sudden music changes with a pastor who says "If you don't like it, leave" when they complain, and you've got a real recipe for someone actually leaving the Church and never coming back.
  • MatthewRoth
    They aren't mutually exclusive as such. I've learned this from experience, and as much as I wanted to disagree with the DM, he was right regarding the music.
  • You can talk semantics about who did the dividing and where the blame SHOULD go. But any of those people involved in those cases would tell you the same thing: "Whether the music was good or bad before, the parish was at least not DIVIDED the way it is today."

When there are statements like this being made, it indicates that you have people in your parish who are unwilling to accept the Church on any other terms than their own.

Words and how we use them are important: that's why we use them. Semantics, therefore, are important. I'm not interested in blame: I'm interested in truth. The true cause of a divided parish is not, for example, that the new priest wants to use Latin in the Mass. It's because there are people in the parish that don't like the fact that the new priest wants to use Latin in the Mass. It doesn't matter why those people don't like it; it matters that they are willing to cut themselves off from the rest of the parish, and enter into conflict with others over it.

You are talking about "the way things ought to be." I'm talking about "the way things are."

We should be striving to make them one and the same. Yes, there will be people who don't like the change, and who will try to vilify us for it. That phrase should sound familiar. Jesus Christ himself was divisive, and so was His message. He was also vehemently vilified for this. Was He wrong to bring His message to the world because it might have divided the people? I think He knew His message would divide them, and that He knew it was necessary. Christ's teaching was a dramatic shift from what was going on in the world at the time, and yes, this is why many people didn't like Him.

These things have serious consequences. People literally leave the faith when they feel the rug has been pulled out from under them at their parish. Couple these types of dramatic, sudden music changes with a pastor who says "If you don't like it, leave" when they complain, and you've got a real recipe for someone actually leaving the Church and never coming back.

There are several problems with that scenario that would have nothing to do with the music, nor the use of commonly "divisive" aspects such as Latin and Gregorian Chant. First, why is it that someone complains when they don't like something? Could it be that they feel that they are entitled to something they didn't get? Second, if someone is willing to leave the Church entirely and never return because of something in the Church they disagree with, this is called Protestantism. Third, as the retention of souls is a chief concern of the Church, it is disturbing when people abandon Her for whatever reason. However, if the condition of their staying at the side of the Holy Mother is that their earthly desires must be appeased (such as vernacular, no Latin, no Chant, etc.), then how true is their loyalty to Her? In this case, the issue runs much deeper than music, vernacular, etc.

Also, I think another issue here is that of change. People don't deal well with change in the church, and that is quite understandable. The Church should be a place of constancy and a refuge from the outside world. However, the Church was constant for almost 500 years until the 1960s when a radical, sudden change occurred. All change is sudden in some way, and for many even that is too much (simply changing the Mass setting can cause some individuals to complain and threaten to leave the Church). So where do you draw the line? I would submit that gradual change is not possible. Although, one can split a larger change into smaller points and call it gradual, it is not, because each one of those points is a sudden change in itself. When it comes to change, at some point things have to be different in some way, however large or small than they were before. The argument that I would receive against this is that it is easier for people to swallow smaller changes than larger ones. This is a generalization at best, and seeks to circumvent the truth that all change, of whatever size is sudden. Gradual change is an oxymoron in that sense.
    Thanked by 2irishtenor eft94530
  • fcbfcb
    Jesus Christ himself was divisive, and so was His message. He was also vehemently vilified for this. Was He wrong to bring His message to the world because it might have divided the people?

Surely you don't mean to compare your judgment as a professional Church musician with the divine teachings of the eternal Word (who prayed to his Father ut unum sint). Also, Latin and chant--as wonderful as they are--are not of divine mandate, and it would be troubling to suggest that their preservation or promotion was worth the cost of a single immortal soul. This is what it means to give priority to pastoral judgement.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Surely you don't mean to compare your judgment as a professional Church musician with the divine teachings of the eternal Word (who prayed to his Father ut unum sint). Also, Latin and chant--as wonderful as they are--are not of divine mandate, and it would be troubling to suggest that their preservation or promotion was worth the cost of a single immortal soul. This is what it means to give priority to pastoral judgement.

This.
  • Of course not. This is a semantic discussion on divisiveness, my point being that concepts are not divisive, people are.
  • OK. So people divide themselves as a result of hating the concepts you espouse.

So what? How does that change anything, practically speaking?