Pastoral Music
  • fcbfcb
    A Thomist could easily think of worship in terms of justice: what is owed to God and to the people.

Very true. But what is owed in justice is not like a list of items. What accords with justice is highly variable according to circumstances, and what is just in one set of circumstances is not just in all. I'm not against the language of law and obligation; I simply think it only makes sense within the larger context of beatitude and virtue.
  • GavinGavin
    The best advice in being pastoral was something I read from Liam years and years ago:

Never change anything in your first year.

When I first read it, being more prone to jerkiness than I am now, I found this rubbish - cantor-songleaders are a disgrace and need to go THIS Sunday! I'll NEVER play a song on piano! The choir folders are the wrong color!

However, I've followed this dictum at my current position with great success. I'd say this is a good start in being pastoral.
  • Kathy
    I'm not at all attracted to reliance on law alone in liturgical matters. It's wimpy as reasoning, though obviously ecclesially useful as a guarantor of justice. The virtue of religion, though, has to do with justice, and the public virtue of religion--liturgical virtue--must consider not only God but people. If I as a liturgist deprive the people of their ration of beauty, or truth, that is unjust.
  • CharlesW
    I would say not only unjust, but a ludicrous geezer not having the good sense to act his age or give appropriate honor to the position he holds. Isn't wisdom supposed to come with age? Maybe not in this case.
  • Kathy,

In this case, "law" is based on principles, including justice, which a Christian should adopt as a way of thinking and living, not merely as a checklist. Here's what I mean:

We should always give our best to God (following the commandment "thou shalt love the Lord thy God....") and should never allow anything unworthy of the worship of God to enter into our worship of Him. We don't owe God a liturgy (or a musical expression within same) which puts ourselves at the center and God on the periphery. Liturgy is received, not invented, since it is, by nature, ritual public worship - instead of spontaneous individualized anything. If our liturgical practice is to treat the Mass as all about "us" -- whoever that "us" is, this is unjust, and must, therefore, be halted. One can discuss the most effective way to bring about real change, but one can't assert that the principle of "inculturated" worship trumps the principle of revealed truth. There is plenty of room for a variety of rites within what I've described, but no room at all for the horizontal to the exclusion of the vertical aspect of worship.

Thanked by 2Kathy dad29
  • Kathy
    Chris,

Word up. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
  • Kathy,

Thanks for your appreciation.

I'll illustrate what I mean about pace with another (true) example.

A woman who doesn't normally attend Mass in the Extraordinary Form came at the invitation of her sister (who does). She dressed in what she considers her Sunday best. A member of the self-appointed decorum police chastised her, saying that she should notice what Our Lady was wearing, as pictured in one of the statues in the church. When I learned of the behavior, I replied to the visitor that her reply to this should have been "And Mary kept all these things in her heart".

If we shoot people who are trying to get into the boat, or even trying to see if they want to, we hurt our cause. If we refuse to announce the presence or necessity of the boat, woe to us for an entirely different reason. I'm learning much by reading Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales -- in the original 17th century French.

Thanked by 1Gavin
  • fcbfcb
    Kathy,

If I were a priest and well-intention school children presented me with that chasuble to wear on All Saints day, I'd suck it up and wear it (once). After I was ordained the wonderful parish where I interned presented me with one of those "children of the world" stoles when I went back to preach there, which I happily put on and wore for all the Masses that weekend. I have not found occasion to wear it since.

If I were a pastor and came into a parish where that stature were in place, I would wait a year to find out a) how long it had been around, b) who gave it, c) to whom was it dedicated, e) who, if anyone, had any particular devotion to it. Depending on these findings, I might wait another eleven years, happily crowning that hideous statue each May, and saving my money, so that at the end of my twelve-year tenure, having worked as hard as I could for the parishioners, I could give them a new statue of the Blessed Mother as my parting gift to the parish (the old statue could be moved into the Pastor's office). Of course, if I found out that no one had any attachment to the statue, I'd replace it much more quickly.
  • Kathy
    Deacon Fritz,

Your attitude is certainly warm & friendly. But hopefully that is not what clergy get paid for.
  • fcbfcb
    Kathy,

Don't be so dismissive of warm and friendly. It works better than cold and hostile. Plus, I don't get paid.
    Thanked by 3Liam Adam Wood Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    A woman who doesn't normally attend Mass in the Extraordinary Form came at the invitation of her sister (who does). She dressed in what she considers her Sunday best. A member of the self-appointed decorum police chastised her, saying that she should notice what Our Lady was wearing, as pictured in one of the statues in the church

It's kind of the parish to put up with insane people who like to attend Mass there.
    Thanked by 1noel jones, aago
  • Kathy
    Deacon, I'm frankly shocked that you would don a vestment that you knew to be unworthy of the liturgy in order to please a crowd, especially of impressionable children. There are a million good ways to show your appreciation for a gift. But the liturgy is not ours to use in that way.
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • chonakchonak
    By the way, folks, do keep in mind that CMAA is all for gradual change. We want Catholics to peacefully improve church music:

Q: Won’t a drastic change alienate people?
    A: The liturgical upheaval of the late 1960s and onward confused and alienated many Catholics. Some people loved the new pop style and other people were embittered by it. Attitudes toward sacred music remain a source of division among Catholics today. While the need to restore the sacred is urgent, pastoral sensitivity is necessary to avoid the disorienting approach of the post-conciliar period. It will take time for the liturgical aesthetic to recover from the errors of the recent past so that it may be deepened and matured. The restoration of sacred music is a long-term project that requires years of relentless progress.

http://musicasacra.com/about-cmaa/faq/
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • fcbfcb
    I'm frankly shocked that you would don a vestment that you knew to be unworthy of the liturgy

I guess I don't consider a vestment made with love and good intentions to be intrinsically unworthy of the liturgy. I would certainly have a talk with the children's teacher afterward saying that vestment-making is best left for more skilled hands and that in the future the teacher should check with me before having the children undertake such a thing. But if it were already made and the children had been told that Father would wear it? Hell yes I'd wear it. It's not like it's got a picture of Miley Cyrus on it.
  • Kathy
    Why not just visit the classroom and show them all the different things the deacon wears, and let them see you wear it there?

Not trying to pick on you personally, but on this whole ineffective cultural norm, the pleasant avuncular clergyman. We're losing people with this approach.
  • fcbfcb
    I'm not sure anyone considers me pleasant and avuncular (except, maybe, my nieces and nephews). But I also see another norm in certain Catholic subcultures, which is the harda**, no-nonsense, don't-tell-me-about-your-feelings priest (who seems to have an obsession with guns and survivalism--yes, I'm looking at you, Fr. Zed), who sees it as some sort of sign of authenticity if you get people offended. I really see no virtue in this. Indeed, I worry it is the vice of anger masquerading as the virtue of zeal.
  • chonakchonak
    Any chance you could limit that vestment to a weekday Mass (or Morning Prayer) with just that class of kids? :-)
    Thanked by 2Liam Gavin
  • CharlesW
    I agree that talking with the teacher would be the best approach. Children don't come up with these ideas on their own, most of the time. There is an element of being hospitable that is important.

If I have food when invited to someone's home and they forget I am a vegetarian - have been for at least 30 years - I don't panic and throw a fit if there happens to be some meat in a dish. I just eat it and resolve to not have that food again, or put myself in that situation. It is not always possible to tell what is in a dish ahead of time, but I think it might be a sin (minor) against hospitality to berate someone for what was a well-intentioned mistake.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Kathy
    I don't think either uncle fluffy or Fr hard%## needs to appear. I do think the word "father" should be taken very seriously.

I don't get survivalism, but since I live in cities it doesn't exactly come up.

What we should do is get CARA to publish a survey that says the more Gospel demands you make upon the men of a parish, the higher their contributions. That would help ch-ch-change things.
  • Liam
    I would not accuse Deacon Fritz of being a member of the "Can't We All Just Get Along" branch of American Catholicism. I don't think he'd be convicted on the indictment.
  • Kathy
    My bad for being personal. It was the apparent assumption that conflict comes from jerkiness that riled my feathers. But you are right, I know nada about the Deacon's pastoral approach except the very little that has been said here.

Sorry, fcb.
  • Kathy
    Regarding the general misunderstanding of what people need in clergy and how this need goes generally unfilled, I hope others who agree may chime in.
  • Liam
    Here's a meta-view of the fulcrum point:

The Truth is important because we love God, who is Truth - not in the abstract, but in Persons.

That said, our egos can ride sidesaddle with our superegos to make a love of the Truth into a need to Be Right and to be known to Be Right.

Apropos CS Lewis fine observation that evil comes in pairs, that we may flee from one to embrace the other. Our egos are wonderful at that.

It's just as likely to be true for Being Pastoral as for Being Right, of course. It's a human thing. The opposing "sides" are more alike in this regard than we'd like to admit at times. (This does *not* mean "then don't bother wrestling with it", just to be clear. It does mean a good place to start is cultivating awareness of how each of us tends to get in God's way by earnestly doing what we think God wants us to do.)
  • JonLaird
    Kathy -- I do agree. A sad example I see often is funerals becoming mini-canonizations or "a celebration of so-and-so's life." It does not happen at my parish, thankfully, but when I sub as an organist at other parishes I see it all the time. It's designed to make the living feel better at the expense of the dead. You would think, after going to a funeral in your average Catholic parish, that Christianity means: Jesus rose from the dead, yaaaay, everybody goes to heaven no matter what.

What will provide true comfort and hope to those in the pews at a funeral -- what is really "pastoral"? Trite, "inoffensive" phrases that address merely superficial emotional pain, or preaching the scandal of the Cross, where true hope is found? The latter can be done right in a way that draws people into the mystery, but there will always be those who automatically turn away at mention of sin, sacrifice, etc. "He who has ears, let him hear." If a few listen and open themselves to the truth of the Gospel by it, it is better than offering bland food to everyone.
  • Blaise
    I will add, JonLaird, that when funerals become just a "celebration of so-and-so's life", we do the deceased a real disservice, if we decide from henceforth not to pray for his or her repose, on account of the fact that he or she is allegedly already in heaven.
    Thanked by 2JonLaird hilluminar
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Regarding the general misunderstanding of what people need in clergy and how this need goes generally unfilled, I hope others who agree may chime in.

Basically, K, I've been dealing with this for about six months since a major pastoral change, and it is extremely purgatorial pour moi.
    You know "me" likely better than most here, and despite resolution after resolution to behave in a CSLewis manner as KLS describes, inevitably there remains some sort of fissure to chasm to gorge gap between my efforts to foster honest collegiality and collaboration through honest, truthful but polite dialogue, and the reaction/outcome of the corrections needed by both cleric and staffer(s.)
    To be brief, I almost did a Snoopy dance when I read John Allen's interview with Cdl. George concerning his feelings and relationship with HHF. Long time comin'. I hope Cdl. George's clarion isn't a day late and dollar short in terms of affecting leadership and governance. Why I think this is significant is that my observation leads me to conclude that priest/pastors (and perhaps bishop to pastors) are loathe to instruct, question or lead their peers because of some weird concept of "brotherhood." It's never been more on display than of late, what with Burke's situo and the ineptitude on display in Baltimore last week.
    And as I blithely said in the earlier last post, here locally when I e'er so politely try to school clergy who need schoolin', I will always remain The Jerk (apologies to Steve Martin.) It's purgatory I tell ya! ;-)
  • Blaise
    The first few posts of the last page of this thread have become too personal between the participants. So, I will post something to lighten the mood. Since someone(s) mentioned vestments, I thought I would post something from the now Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI's papacy (and I write this not to deride him, but on the contrary, as an admirer of his work).

The Amazing Technicolor Nightmare
  • Chonak,

Genuinely puzzled by your comment, I ask you to explain which person in the story you considered insane.

Cheers,

Chris
  • dad29
    I'm not sure anyone considers me pleasant and avuncular (except, maybe, my nieces and nephews). But I also see another norm in certain Catholic subcultures, which is the harda**, no-nonsense, don't-tell-me-about-your-feelings priest (who seems to have an obsession with guns and survivalism--yes, I'm looking at you, Fr. Zed), who sees it as some sort of sign of authenticity if you get people offended. I really see no virtue in this. Indeed, I worry it is the vice of anger masquerading as the virtue of zeal.

Allow a preface: I am NOT a fan of "Fr. Zed." For good reason, I will not elaborate.

Now, then. Kathy offered a very diplomatic way of showing appreciation for the gift while not appearing to make light of the re-presentation of the Sacrifice of Calvary: wear it in the classroom, once, making one's gratitude very clear, then using that occasion as a teaching moment about the Mass, its history, and the vestments worn--and why they are worn.

It is too often the case that mis-informed (often, actually, UN-informed) "feelings" dominate conversations about which facts and evidence are far more appropriate to the discussion. Feelings are nice, but they are no substitute for what is.

In the case at hand, you seem to be advocating a parallel to the "feelings" of divorced and civilly-"re-married" who are not allowed Communion. That, Deacon, is injustice to those who do play by the rules.

That vestment is a mockery, both of Sainthood and the event at the altar. And I will remind you that there is such a thing as righteous anger. Ask any Temple money-changer.
  • chonakchonak
    Scripsit CGZ:
    Genuinely puzzled by your comment, I ask you to explain which person in the story you considered insane.

Is it not clear who's the nut in the story you related? If you're really not sure, I was referring to the fussy person who treated statues as presenting clothing guidelines.

Any parish may have a few cranky people, and I suppose this is why wise pastors occasionally take a moment to warn them against fussing at others about clothing or about noisy kids or about taking someone's favorite seat.
  • Chonak,

I was rather hoping that the obvious choice was the correct one, but I have been wrong recently on what I thought was obvious, so I thought it best to check. I have heard (and read) from wise priests who, knowing their congregations, aver: please observe the basic dress code, but if you see someone not properly dressed, please leave the situation to the priests to correct.

I refer to people who behave as the decorum police as "self-appointed members of the .... police", making clear to visitors that the authority of the gadflies is entirely self-arrogated, not deputized.

• kenstb
    I agree and disagree with much that has been written here, often within the same post.
    I agree that it is foolish for funerals to become just a "celebration of so-and-so's life". At Fatima, the Blessed Virgin said that so many souls go to hell because they have no one to pray for them. What, however, is "merely superficial emotional pain"? Poor choice of words. I am truly perplexed by phrases like this. Pain, whether emotional or otherwise is never mere to the person who feels it. We have to show empathy and patience with those, who through ignorance (not through hardness of heart) miss the purpose of the funeral mass.

dad29 wrote: "It is too often the case that mis-informed (often, actually, UN-informed) "feelings" dominate conversations about which facts and evidence are far more appropriate to the discussion. Feelings are nice, but they are no substitute for what is." I agree, BUT since people don't always react as I would prefer, I have found that great amounts of patience are needed before the point that conversations can be had reasonably and lead to a teaching moment about the Mass, etc. Ironically, in my experience children can be more reasonable than adults in situations like those. As always, YMMV.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    At Fatima, the Blessed Virgin said that so many souls go to hell because they have no one to pray for them.

I'm sorry everyone, but I've never encountered this aspect of the Fatima revelations before. Ken, could you expound upon this at greater length if no one objects. Thanks, C.
  • kenstb

On August 19, 1918 towards the end of the apparition in the plain field called Valinhos, Sr. Lucia asked Our Lady for the cure of the sick who had begged her intercession. “Some I will cure during the year,” the Lady said; then gazing down at them, she added, sadly, “Pray, pray very much. Make sacrifices for sinners. Many souls go to hell, because no one is willing to help them with sacrifice.” I used the word "pray" instead of "sacrifice".
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks, Ken.
    Words count, they mean something. God gave us words as well as the Logos. We cannot afford to nuance them to make our point.
    In context now, I agree. We must sacrifice ourselves in this life for those, in this life, who would potentially benefit by a conversion of heart spoken to them by divine intervention, our prayers and actions, and other factors by which they choose to respond.
    We consign ourselves.
  • But I also see another norm in certain Catholic subcultures, which is the harda**, no-nonsense, don't-tell-me-about-your-feelings priest (who seems to have an obsession with guns and survivalism--yes, I'm looking at you, Fr. Zed), who sees it as some sort of sign of authenticity if you get people offended. I really see no virtue in this.

I like Father Zed, sometimes, but he's too... Tridentine for my tastes. I don't mean he likes the TLM, but his attitude is very Counter-Reformation in its zeal. He doesn't seem to realise sometimes that we're not actually battling Protestants, Heathens and Atheists to the death anymore.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    According to Thomas, a soul's ascent to heaven instead of hell can be helped by our prayers, but never hindered by our lack of them. Praying for the souls of the dead allows us to participate (there's that word) in the saving work of God.
  • CharlesW
    Praying for the souls of the dead allows us to participate (there's that word) in the saving work of God.

I like that approach.

He doesn't seem to realise sometimes that we're not actually battling Protestants, Heathens and Atheists to the death anymore.

I think we have a bigger enemy in Islam, if we get our heads out of our politically correct behinds long enough to call a spade a spade. The Protestants are not really a threat to us anymore. They seem to shoot themselves in the foot more than they threaten us.
  • I think we have a bigger enemy in Islam, if we get our heads out of our politically correct behinds long enough to call a spade a spade. The Protestants are not really a threat to us anymore. They seem to shoot themselves in the foot more than they threaten us.

Agreed. I've seen enough weird non-denominational services to know that. And the Evangelical Lutherans' poor taste in liturgical décor.
  • CharlesW
    Agreed. I've seen enough weird non-denominational services to know that. And the Evangelical Lutherans' poor taste in liturgical décor.

We have Evangelical Lutherans and Missouri Synod Lutherans in my city. They don't seem to have a very high regard for each other. I don't think they interact very much, or so it seems.
  • We have Evangelical Lutherans and Missouri Synod Lutherans in my city. They don't seem to have a very high regard for each other. I don't think they interact very much, or so it seems.

Missouri Synod Lutherans and ELCA Lutherans rarely interact. It's like putting a Reformed Episcopal Church member in the same room as either your standard Broad Church Episcopalian or an Anglo-Catholic. I should know; considering the circles I run in contain a very large number of High Church and Anglo-Catholic Anglicans.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • GavinGavin
    LCMS Lutherans don't recognize ELCA Lutherans as properly Lutheran.

Just like Protestants don't recognize the Pope as the Vicar of Christ, Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah, and Baptists don't recognize each other at the liquor store.
  • CharlesW
    Baptists don't recognize each other at the liquor store.

Hehehe. I know that's the truth! LOL.
  • LCMS Lutherans don't recognize ELCA Lutherans as properly Lutheran.

My LCMS grandmother (may God forgive her heresy and facilitate her entry into Glory), on hearing some position or another of ELCA: "Why, if they believe that, they aren't even Chris-tee-an!"

• My LCMS grandmother (may God forgive her heresy and facilitate her entry into Glory), on hearing some position or another of ELCA: "Why, if they believe that, they aren't even Chris-tee-an!"

I've heard some of the RECUSA (Reformed Episcopal) types get horrified at the sight of Episcopalians using chasubles, incense and chant, as well as the phrase "these thy holy gifts, which we now offer unto thee" from the Prayer Book, and usually start stammering something about Articles XXVIII and XXXI.
  • francis
    Direction?... The church can't seem to agree on much of anything related to music these days.
    The church?... or the jerks presently in charge? (and that doesn't necessarily mean clergy as much as beaurocrats)
  • CharlesW
    The church?... or the jerks presently in charge? (and that doesn't necessarily mean clergy as much as beaurocrats)

Too many of them, as far as I can tell, from top down.
  • I figure this may be able to land under this topic... so here it goes...

I was at two Catholic funeral Masses for a couple members of family on my wife's side. Both had their own "unique" situations... both in the same Arch as I live in and go to Mass in....

The one three weeks ago was at a Parish that had a guitar playing Nun as their music director (I keep thinking of Sound of Music for some reason). They used Mass of Creation, they had piano, choir, and upwards of two guitars used at the same time. It was one of the folkiest Masses I have been to. Not to mention, they did not have kneelers, and I couldn't find any area where I could bless myself with holy water. I kept telling my wife that I would just wash my face off in the baptismal "pool"... which literally was a pool, as my blessing. It just was tacky... and sad to see this kind of funeral around... in which I have been used to Catholic funerals that were downright beautiful in the past.

The one yesterday was at a totally different Parish. They also used Mass of Creation... but the oddity to this one, the Priest sang almost all of the Liturgy of the Eucharist... but not in a chant type way, it was sang with a piano behind him, and it reminded me of some sort of broadway play. This church did have kneelers, but we were told not to use them by the Priest. Then, to top that off, the Priest told everyone to "join hands" during the Our Father, and HE, along with the server, the cantor, and reader in front, joined hands together behind the altar. No orans position from him... just holding hands behind the altar. Reminded me of some sort of "cum-ba-ya" event or something. The plus to this Mass, outside of it seeming like a broadway play, is that they didn't use guitars.

My wife (who is in RCIA right now) was upset by this, for the same reason my mom is upset at things in the Church... no single Catholic Church is even remotely the same or even similar to what I experience at our Parish. She didn't understand the reasoning behind this... and here is the thing... this isn't a cultural thing... we are in the same type of areas (and even the same sister city that shares a school district with our home Parish), same type of backgrounds, etc. I think the closest thing we have found in the area thus far is at my parent's Diocese 2 hours north of here...at their Parish.

I have to think... no wonder there is an issue with the Church and retaining Parishioners. Too much of "everything to everyone" and not enough focused on the beauty of the Mass. Too much have to "entertain" the Parishioners, not enough prayerful beautiful music using the entire catalog of music for the Church, past AND present. I have to wonder if more were exposed to the beauty of Catholic music... how the reaction would be. I only know how it is at our Parish, as that is what I see weekly for the most part. I know our DM gets complimented constantly and people are wondering when our choir is going to be there. And youth, youth are there... prayerfully... and very respectfully. I have spent time in our Adoration chapel, and the amount of teens and young adults that visit there is amazing. Sometimes we just need to escape the crazy busy world we are in, and I find Mass and the Adoration chapel to be a place to gather my thoughts, to calm myself, to connect to God. Not to get entertained or basically get the same thing I can get outside of Mass.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen Blaise chonak