Choral Responses in the TLM
  • I am going to start singing with the schola at a TLM. First off: November 9. The director said that they have been doing it a while, so don't rehearse "the responses," adding quickly, "but of course, the ite missa est depends on what the deacon decides or how good a musician he is." Going through the Corpus Christi videos (which are for a low Mass), reading the L. Usualis, and a fine missal I have, I can't figure out what he means.

So...what are the responses that the choir does that I should be practicing?

Kenneth
  • chonakchonak
    Ideally, the deacon or priest would sing "Ite missa est" with the melody corresponding to the plainchant Mass ordinary which the choir sang. That is, with a melody based on the melody of the Kyrie. But you may find that something different happens. You might sing the ordinary with the setting called Mass II, but then hear the deacon or priest sing the "Ite missa est" from Mass VIII, simply because he knows it best. In that situation, the choir should follow the lead of the deacon and sing the companion "Deo gratias".
  • matthewjmatthewj
    He means that the Ite Missa Est and its response (Deo gratias) change based on the season and Ordinary you are singing - or based on the priest/deacon's abilities. If the setting being used is one the choir is unfamiliar with, this is certainly something you should rehearse with them.

The choir should also know all of the responses - but if they already know them, they don't change as often as the Ite dialogue does.
  • Matthewj--that's my question: what are "all the responses?"
  • The quote from the choir director is "how things are, and we are not rehearsing," so I need to know what to learn on my own.
  • Et cum spiritu tuo.
    Gloria tibi, Domine.
    Habemus ad Dominum.
    Dignum et justum est.
    Sed libera nos a malo.
    Deo gratias.
    Amen.

• Ah, the videos I have seen---although i haven't gotten to all those parts--have the Deacon doing them. Many thanks.
  • chonakchonak
    Don't feel that you have to sing everything right away, including the bits that weren't rehearsed. You won't know until the moment whether the priest sings the preface dialogue with the simple tone or the solemn tone.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Well, you could go ask the priest.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • My first Sunday? Not sure about that. But, come to think of it, I haven't seen the Preface Dialog in the Liber Usualis. Did I miss something obvious?
  • ---OK,, how do I delete a post I accidentally typed?
  • Here's a little guide to choral responses for the Extraordinary Form based on the Liber Usualis. It may be excessively concise.
    Thanked by 1Heath
  • Kenneth - you can't delete a post, but you can edit it.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, you could go ask the priest.

How do priests feel about getting music questions from individual choir members?

How do directors feel about having individual choir members ask the priest music questions?
  • Thanks--it's Kenneth, but I keep forgetting this one doesn't post my name automatically. And there wasn't anything attached to your first note about a guide book, but that sounds helpful.
    Thanked by 1Arthur Connick
  • Chonak--rather my point.
  • Oh, I see, where it says "Common Tones of
    The Mass." The "R" is in the middle and I didn't see what they were. I will learn them but probably sit them out the first time.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Whenever I go to a Latin High Mass I always wait to see if the Priest/Deacon will chant
    "Ite eleison".
    Thanked by 2Gavin StimsonInRehab