March for Life Mass Music
  • donr
    I have been asked to provide the music for the march for Life Mass this Jan.
    Most likely I will do "At the Dawning of Creation" by Pluth / Giffen but I would like other suggestions.

The Mass is on Sat Jan 18th.
  • BenBen
    Where? What's the context? Previous precedence and music selections?
  • donr
    Southern AZ.
    Mass at the Cathedral in Tucson. Pro-life march after Mass.
    Previous years have done; The Summons, Here I am Lord, Behold the Lamb.
    Each Year a different Parish provides Mass. My Pastor has asked me to do the music.
    He knows I do more traditional music so I would like to program some.
    I do not know what the readings will be yet. I am assuming they will be the readings for Saturday the 18th.
  • Off the top of my head~
    Adoremus hymnal- Lord the giver of all life (ST. ANNE)
    Salve Regina, or Hail Holy Queen, or both
    Something honoring life, perhaps honoring the Holy Family
    Something penitential, asking for mercy
    Thanked by 1donr
  • donr
    @MaryAnn Carr Wilson "Lord the Giver of Life is not in my Adoramus Hymnal. I must have an older version of it.

@Kathy, I do plan to use "At the Dawning of Creation" thanks for the beautiful Hymn.
  • donr
    @MaryAnn Carr Wilson I found it. It is number 609 in my missal. Thank you these words are perfect.
  • Chrism
    I'm not sure if it's appropriate to your particular context, but I've always wanted to do the following:

Processional: O Cruel Herod
    Offertory: O Sacred Head, etc.
    Communion: Vox in Rama (e.g., de Wert)
    Recessional: Faith of Our Fathers

• donr
    @Chrism, Great suggestions. I really like Vox in Rama. However our choir is not advanced enough to learn it in such a short amount of time.
  • donr
    It looks like we will be doing the RM 48/1. For Giving Thanks To God For The Gift of Human Life.
    Does anyone have the Antiphons written with Organ acc. ?
    Entrance: "For the Sake of your name, O Lord, give me life" Ps 143(142):11
    Comm: "With You, O Lord, is the fountain of life, and in your light, we see light." Ps 36(35):10.
    Also what verse would I use for the Communion?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    No organ accompaniment necessary.
    Thanked by 1donr
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Attached here is a corrected and slightly revised version of my setting of Kathy's hymn "At the Dawning of Creation" set to my hymn tune CORDE NATUS. Aside from spelling and capitalization corrections, there has been a minor change to the Descant 2 part at the ends of the first two lines. Also attached is an organist score for CORDE NATUS, with an optional introduction (alternative to playing the entire hymn through once), the descant parts above the verses, and an ending for the final stanza. The attached MP3 file plays the introduction, followed by the hymn setting played four times, with Descant 2 on the second stanza, Descant 1 on the third stanza, and both Descants on the fourth stanza.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW donr
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    Many thanks for this, Charles. We'll be singing this in January as well. I love those two-quarter note phrases in the melody, and the measure "to the heavens" in the refrain gets me by the heartstrings every single time. : )
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Call me an apostate, but I've always interpreted the third verse of B. Farrell's "God has chosen me" as a direct reference to us being a voice for the unborn:

"God is calling me in all whose cry is unheard....
    to raise up the voice with no power or choice:..."
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • chonakchonak
    Who can count on that? These days, "choice" is a slogan for the other side, so there's no telling how people will intend it or take it.

Besides, "voice/choice" is a terrible rhyme cliche, and not appealing to sing: it has too much "oy, oy".
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Wow, are we in a bad humor this AM. A foot of snow in a day does that I suppose.
  • Kathy
    It's not as bad a cliché as life/strife, or God/trod. But it's pretty trite, and not euphonious.
  • ronkrisman
    Wine/dine is the absolute worst. Imagine, fine dining at the wedding feast of the Lamb.
    Thanked by 1matthewj
  • I would think that "God Has Chosen Me," with that text, would be VERY appropriate for this.

You know, Jesus came to proclaim liberty to captives, freedom to prisoners, etc. This resonates with me as a positive expression of the pro-life movement. Especially with that line about "all whose cry is unheard."

Chonak, I don't think anyone at that event will hear the word "choice," in that line and context, and think it means anything other than what is intended.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I hate the song. BUT - it is an interesting turn-around of that "oi" word we all hear too much of today.

(And it gives the lie to the modernist/liberal/progressive/atheist/feminist/whatever notion that "the voiceless ones" being denied their "right to choose" are middle class women and politically protected minorities and not, you know, unborn children with no voice or rights in our society).

But I still don't like the song, so- you know, whatever.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • chonakchonak
    "Dine" is trouble all around.

In my first choral experience, at my old college, I was in a pick-up choir directed by an Evangelical friend, a music major; after a few rehearsals, we took the show to a church and a nursing home.
    The work was a "contemporary cantata" whose main number contained the sappy verse:
    "Come and dine, come and dine;
    I'm singing, I'm so glad that He's a friend of mine."

But the singers were not very experienced, nor was the director, and we didn't learn to pronounce the final consonant on "dine" clearly, so it sounded as though we were singing "come and die". That's not what you want to convey at a nursing home.
    Thanked by 2Kathy eft94530
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    *bump* ... This thread has the most current version of my setting of Kathy Pluth's "At the Dawning of Creation" set to my tune CORDE NATUS.
  • Jani
    CH and Kathy - this is magnificent! My kingdom (queendom?) for an organ......and someone to play it, sigh.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen