Agnus Dei -- optional organ intro and accompaniment
  • Would appreciate comments about this minute two minutes of music, especially appropriateness or not for use in liturgy. I'm aware that I set portions of the text against other portions, but not sure how bad that seems to today's music directors.

Edit: Finished.

Score attached. Recording at http://www.hartenshield.com/0573_agnus_dei.mp3
    Comparative equal tempered recording at http://www.hartenshield.com/0573_agnus_dei_et.mp3

Not that much difference, though I definitely prefer the just intonation version: my ideas about intonation mainly serve as a compositional technique. See most recent post for issues of how to notate the intonation.

Thank you.

William
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    1. My philosophical "objections" to your "system" notwithstanding- I've liked everything you've posted that you wrote. This, also- and more so.

2. I have no reason to think that it would be inappropriate. The overlapping text setting is typical, I think. I am of the opinion that simpler, chanted, congregational music should be "the norm" for the Ordinary ordinarily, but more performance-oriented choral music is by no means a bad thing in the right circumstances (times and places).

3. I'm looking forward to the rest of it.
  • William,

The fact that the piece clearly does not intend to have the congregation singing is no obstacle to its appropriateness for use at Mass.

I have a different question, since I haven't been able to listen to the recording. The middle voice sometimes seems to be written in the correct octave, and sometimes to be written an octave out. (The setting of Jesu, Rex Admirabilis that we use has the same problem: we sing it SAB, instead of STB.)

• Thanks, Adam, and cgz. I am playing with the idea of the congregation singing the 'theme' (alto, bar 12, which exactly duplicates the soprano line, as if a cantor then a congregation). The octave, low alto C and so on is accurate as I intend it (and it comes in canon an octave higher later in the soprano ... double counterpoint!)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I am playing with the idea of the congregation singing the 'theme'

There are a handful of good, a capella Mass settings that do some kind of congregational melody with "choral accompaniment." I think it is an excellent way to balance the multiple concerns of selecting settings for the Ordinary.
  • Oh well. My agreement with Adam didn't last long.

Mr. Copper,

I wouldn't try to get the Mass to do more than it can properly do. I tried something similar to what you describe several years ago, but abandoned the project both because I lack the skill to do it well and because any project which holds up the congregation as integral part of the music of Mass has its focus on the wrong end of the nave.

My plan was to have the Bass line and the congregation sing the same music --- think Anglican parishes which sing a descant on the final stanza of a hymn. Enjoy writing for the choir.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Interesting- since I stated my "preference" for congregational Ordinaries in the first place.

There is nothing illicit or inappropriate in either a congregationally focused setting, or a choral setting. My understanding of the mind of the Church (ha!) is that it is desirable for the congregation to sing the Ordinary normally. Others disagree. And even from my understanding, there is plenty of room for choral Ordinaries.

Anywho- if you want to write something for congregation + choir, you should do so. If you want to write something for choir alone, you should do that.

(Anyone with the intellectual audacity to attempt to remake modern intonation and notational practices should write whatever music he damn well wants to.)
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • melofluentmelofluent
    If I might add twopence-
    If there is one movement, dam the torpedos, the rules and the reservoirs, that congregations WANT to sing for whatever reason strikes their fancy, it is without a doubt the Agnus Dei. One.
    Two: It is difficult for me to yet discern the distinct melodic motifs off the page or via the recording. The recording suggests that the motif is rhythmically based, almost like an isorhythm. So, putting 1+2 together the suggested solution for me would be to double the melody in the basses, or assign the melody only to the men, and use essentially a double descant in the two womens' voices, and also add a well registered organ accompaniment. If it were me.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • Mr. Copper,

As I said, I lacked the skill to do it well. I liked what I could hear of your setting in my head, but I wouldn't try to "adapt" it to allow or encourage congregational singing.

There is nothing illicit or inappropriate in either a congregationally focused setting,

says Adam, but his own language makes an important distinction if perhaps by accident. None of the chant ordinaries are "congregationally focused", but they can be sung by ordinary parishioners. Some are easier than others. Some can be learned well and quickly by rote, while others are only sung well by those who have the music.

To write so that a congregation can sing is not a bad thing. To write navel-gazing music, such as has polluted our parishes for well nigh 40 years, on the other hand, is not a good thing, and is in fact wholly inappropriate for the sacrifice of the Mass.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't think we are in disagreement, though we might describe things differently.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    To write navel-gazing music, such as has polluted our parishes for well nigh 40 years

Do tell us exactly how you feel.
    No, really, please tell us exactly how you feel, thank you.
  • chonakchonak
    I enjoyed hearing this piece, and I think it might be good in a concert setting, but I wouldn't recommend it for use in the liturgy. The use of rhythm is playful and dance-like, and I think it does not correspond to the very serious text. Now probably somebody knowledgeable will drop in a word to say, perhaps, the Spanish Renaissance composers used rhythm in the same way and more! But that's my initial reaction.
  • Thanks for the usual wide range of opinions! Even though I made a comment much like the above in another thread regarding the perils of trying to make concert music suitable for congregational singing, I have gone forward with it that way.

Chonak, you might be right: this little theme was in a dream (a rare thing, for me anyway, to wake up and remember music from a dream). It was music accompanying ice dancing, a long long line of moms each with two very small children on skates, a slow, synchronous, dignified dance to this music. The only lyrics I could remember were "igloos are amazing, amazing".

Anyway an updated score in the first post, and the same link with music updated ...
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    That's quite a revision, mrcopper! It is more enticing this round.
    *I don't think this will still fly with congregational participation because...
    *that isorhythm in now quite affective syncopation might be a little to "hocket-like," but
    *that said, the setting has a sort of ars nova meets Missa Luba meets classic polyphony synthesis that is compelling for those who have a taste for that sort of innovation. Even the use of the cross relation faux-fictae add to the exotic nature.

I think you're close to having a work that, if fully fleshed out and realized, high school, collegiate and community choruses would relish programming for concerts.

For Mass, I believe that would depend upon whether it is a stand alone piece (in that case, it's a nay from me) or part of a full setting of the ordinary wherein the Kyrie/Gloria/Sanctus would have substantial melodic and rhythmic motives they could embrace and join into easily.
  • "syncopation": I don't think that's a correct description: there is no offbeat stress involved. If Messiaen were notating it, he'd use quarter -dottedquarter -quarter -eighth.

"dance-like": yes, a dignified, serious dance is a good interpretation. See Genesis 1:2, "God moved on the face of the waters" and, somewhere, "... and God so loved the whirl, he gave his only begotten Son".

"igloos are amazing": I think, on reflection, in my dream I was hearing either John the Baptist in Aramaic, saying ".. behold the Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world" or possibly, John the Apostle, in Greek, telling the story of John the Baptist. Since I don't speak either Aramaic or Grek, it sounded like "igloos are amazing" to me. Either way, with all those moms in my dream, there had to be a John nearby.
  • CharlesW
    You guys really need to get off the liquor. LOL.

Just listened to the work in question. I actually like it!
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I am, Charles, I am off it. Why not try discussing the piece?
  • chonakchonak
    "dance-like": yes, a dignified, serious dance is a good interpretation. See Genesis 1:2, "God moved on the face of the waters" and, somewhere, "... and God so loved the whirl, he gave his only begotten Son".

Is there perhaps a Latin psalm text that would be more suited to these rhythmic motives? Maybe 117 (Laudate Dominum, omnes gentes)?
  • CharlesW
    Well, the only times I had dreams like that.....

I did mention that I like the piece. Dance-like is not always a bad thing. In this case, it seems to work.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    mrcopper, I would say that if you reiterate the clearly emphatic "Ag" on the off-beat eighth of beat three, repeatedly and often in triadic harmony, that qualifies as syncopation in anybody's book, no matter how Olivier would have notated it.
    You wanted responses as to this piece's viability at service, so it has been engaged and you seem disinclined to accept honest reflections. So, I bid this thread adieu.
    Charles, don't confuse your dreams and mrcopper's with mine, please.
  • CharlesW
    Relax, Charles. It's the Weight Watchers getting to you. Have some chocolate cake and ice cream. ;-) Actually, don't. You are probably better off without it.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    God so loved the whirl, he gave his only begotten Son

+1
  • Thanks for the opinions, really. Sometimes one is unable to take even well meant suggestions: for instance, the notion of alternate words makes sense, but after a few hours of work on the piece I was writing for these words, and just don't feel that it's possible to change horses, so to speak.

As to congretational use, I accept the unlikeliness of use. At the moment, I put a note in the score saying "congregation optional": is that too tacky?

I also changed the notation, cleaning up the page and making it look more clear, though less traditional.

All this is after all a work in progress, so I really do appreciate hearing opinions even if they may not change what I can or cannot write!

New notational score attached here.
  • chonakchonak
    Well, it's always possible that some non-Catholic churches might like using it, and (even more likely) have a congregation that's up to singing that part!
  • Update, now finished. I'm resigned to it being taken as "syncopation", but that's the way I hear it and I can't change it.

Recording and score updated in first post.

Thanks for the comments.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I LIKE IT
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • Intonation notation choices attached: secret (ie, no markings), explicit symbols, or explicit pitch graph?

• Nobody helping so I had to make up my mind by myself. Having written according to my mad methods, I may as well go whole hog and publish it with the intonation markings. One day my time may come ...

http://www.hartenshield.com/0573_agnus_dei.mp3

William
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My philosophical opinions aside...

It seems to me that if you want a choir to perform it the way you intend the tuning notation is essential.

Moreover-
    If you have any hope of a choir (especially an amateur choir) singing much of your music, there needs to be a video series and ear training exercises that explain not just how it works, but gives people a chance to hear how it sounds, and (more importantly) how it sound DIFFERENT than what people are used to.

A Capella traditions (Barbershop, Shapenote, contemporary "college style", etc) each have a mostly unspoken "system" (more like a grammar, really) for how they tune intervals- both melodically and harmonically. Most of the singers of these traditions couldn't tell you the first thing about what that system is or how it works- they just do it because it's what sounds right - like speakers of their own native language (and I would argue that, like natural language, there's a lot of exceptions to any 'rule').

My point is- I don't think very many singers (even those used to singing in an a capella tradition) would be able to make much of your notation and explanation, without direct aural exemplers (and a lot of practice).
    Thanked by 2mrcopper Gavin
  • That's a very good idea, the explanatory video! Thank you.

As to its difficulty, we'll see: remember, the very same tuning symbols (without the need for secondary dominant thirds) worked just fine for Josquin, and nobody thinks anything about singing his music in tune.

Also I have made secret experiments, providing music written in this way, to people without saying anything about the tuning. One completed, a success (the O Danny Boy recording, where the hired soprano tuned everything just right, including some vibrato that didn't adversely affect anything.

Two more experiments underway with high school groups, definitely amateur ... results to come in a month or so.

• Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Well, then, if the notation isn't needed...
  • As to that, I admit to being unsure; I have asked here and elsewhere for opinions regarding the notion of explicitness in printed scores, and have gotten silence.

I do still think that a living composer has some obligation to move the course of music along in whatever way he/she can, and that this contribution of mine is more significant than all my skeptics here think ...
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have asked here and elsewhere for opinions regarding the notion of explicitness in printed scores, and have gotten silence.

I'm not sure anyone knows what to make of it.
    (Which has never stopped me from forming and disseminating opinions, but most people are more prudent than I am.)

I do still think that a living composer has some obligation to move the course of music along in whatever way he/she can

Philosophically, I disagree with this. That is, if you are saying what I think you are saying.

this contribution of mine is more significant than all my skeptics here think

I should hope that you would. Anything worth doing is worth putting up with skeptics over.

I remain skeptical myself, but again- that is largely a philosophical matter, not a musical one. I'm curious about the opinions of all of this from people who are skilled enough to understand the technical details, and not just the artistic/philosophical implications.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    the very same tuning symbols (without the need for secondary dominant thirds) worked just fine for Josquin, and nobody thinks anything about singing his music in tune

mrc
    To some extent you've acknowledged a stark reality in the above. Du Prez' symbols weren't academic in his time, they were pedagogy out of necessity. After time those tools became common practice for, uh, practitioners.
    In this era, ironically, they might be more ImPedIments to singers than Pedogogical aids.
  • SalieriSalieri
    I personally thought that question was purely rhetorical.

If I may be so bold as to venture a comment in re the tuning notation:

From a purely visual standpoint it makes the score look cluttered and unpleasing to the eye; I also fear that it might prove too distracting for many singers (and conductors) to cope with. It reminds me of the heavily edited 19th/20th century editions of polyphony (G. Schirmer, anyone?). If you want to use the tuning notation, greater staff and system distance, while using more paper, would probably help make the score look cleaner and more accessible; it, after all, seems a very accessible work.
    Thanked by 1mrcopper
  • That's a good idea too, Salieri ... I agree about the clutter, and maybe re-laying out can help. Thanks to for agreeing that it is (as it's intended to be) a very accessible work.

For anyone with a choir that needs some sight reading practice, why not put it before them, try it out? Won't hurt them. Let me know if you need a pdf without the 'perusal notice' on it.

Here are rehearsal mp3s, each with the relevant voice louder, the others softer.

Soprano http://www.hartenshield.com/0573_agnus_dei_soprano.mp3
    Alto http://www.hartenshield.com/0573_agnus_dei_alto.mp3
    Bass http://www.hartenshield.com/0573_agnus_dei_bass.mp3

Edit: final update of pdf score with extended discussion of markings and reduced clutter.
  • New simple and optional organ accompaniment added this week. Updated preface gives more info about tuning in a cappella score.
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    In reference to comments above and in other threads, about my weird intonation ideas: just received this from a middle school teacher (I thought she was high school) who is using an arrangement which secretly uses these intonation innovations:

.., the arrangement is beautiful, and my students are enjoying it so much!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    who is using an arrangement which secretly uses these intonation innovations:

If it works when secret, why the need for all those funny symbols?

I think I've been your loudest critic here, but I also have consistently liked your compositions. So, there's that...