Flying Fish Puppets at NPM Mass
  • Kathy
    Charles, I think Adam basically meant that as a hearty compliment.

And providentially, you had just posted an amazingly rich, non-Strunk and White, but admirably communicative essay on the subject.

Thanked by 2Adam Wood melofluent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Seriously Adam, try harder. Culbreth's a tough read, but he makes damn more sense than those banners and kites.

Yes, that's true.

The point is- I knew you knew what was up, more than most people do.
    The trouble isn't your style. The trouble is you know TOO WELL what is up, and write/talk as if other people do too already. But I don't think most people do.

("They weren't there, man- they don't KNOW")
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I just thought it was amazing you also made the Cappa connection.
    And at 930am this morning, I hadn't read that recent explanation.
    Thanked by 2Kathy melofluent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Charles, I think Adam basically meant that as a hearty compliment.

Yes.
    (and maybe I don't make any damn sense, either)

If I had intended to be rude to Charles while talking to JT on IM, I would not have copied it here.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • CharlesW
    I hate that so many of these folks are near my age. They used to be the Church Militant. Now they are the Church Creeping and Waddling. And where do they get those butt-ugly sisters and the warbling old bags in pantsuits? They have become caricatures of themselves. Is it possible to be wrong for 50 years. YES! The proof is in the video.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 francis
  • Liam
    I thank thee, Lord, for not making me butt-ugly or to be an warbling old bag in a pantsuit.
  • CharlesW
    Hah! LOL. I am sure you are quite attractive and wouldn't be caught dead warbling in a pantsuit.
  • kevinfkevinf
    While you guys poke fun at this (and maybe deservedly so), this is a major step forward for NPM to have the big eucharist in a church. They have often been in convention centers that were "dressed" to look churchy. And the servers dressed in cassock and surplice...I am truly shocked in a good way to see this.

This is a major notch up for NPM to be in the basilica. Laugh as you will but you have to see this in context. Yes, the puppets are ridiculous and the NPM logo bothers me, but again, one has to see it in context. This is significant in a good way.

You weren't there in the 90's when some really interesting stuff happened.

from the bourbon lands....
  • CharlesW
    All true, Kevin. They have gotten better. Not better enough for me to send dues money to them, but better is good.
  • Kathy
    That's a really important point, Kevin. It looked like two worlds colliding because it was. So what does the future hold? Exciting!
  • To look at this from an uncheeky perspective--when we (thems there, thems here) look at stuff like this, what do we/they SEE versus what either they think they see or want to see?

Agreed. But let's take this thinking to the next level. Next year's CMAA Colloquium will be in Indy. I've been doing my best, both at this NPM convention and back at home in Indy, to talk up the CMAA and get as many people to give it a look as possible.

Now, what are these people going to do? They're going to look up CMAA on the internet, and the first thing they're going to see is posts on the Cafe and here on the forums that sit back and complain about all the things that they saw on the internets that they hate about NPM. It's not going to leave a good impression at all.

I know that we here in the forum love to think about The Great Unwashed over there in NPM, but let's turn Melo's above thought around. What are they seeing of this organization? Half of what I've seen here on the forums and elsewhere this week has not been helpful or charitable. Being bitchy serves neither CMAA nor the Church. Let's be optimistic and do something about the problems.
  • Kathy
    Andrew,

I wonder if you're giving folks enough credit. Surely people you've talked to about CMAA are thoughtful enough to realize that the fish puppets were stupid?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Adam Wood
    One day I'll write an expose on the secret coded language of progressive liturgical practice.
    It's a real thing, and most of the RotR and trad people have no idea.
    (Culbreth does, but when he tries to explain it, he doesn't make any damn sense. And then people like Todd F. and Ruff pretend that it isn't a thing.)
    But it is, really, a thing.

You know, I wonder if some of the liturgical progressivists feel that propers are just a coded language for us to try to roll back the clock on everything. No doubt it is for some, but I think some of us just think the propers should be there.

I guess when you have a somewhat secret "thing" you assume everybody else does too.
  • Kathy,

Of course. There were plenty of eyerolls that I could see, even at the Mass. That doesn't mean constantly griping about it paints the CMAA in a better light. It just looks petty.
    Thanked by 1kevinf
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I don't know if most of them know it's a secret language. Especially at this point, it's like how fish don't notice the water they breathe, or the air they fly in.

And "roll back the clock" is the coded phrase, not "Propers" (which means exactly what it says).

Traddies have their own secret liturgical code, too: Like the notion that fiddle-back chasubles are especially well-suited to liturgy (what?) or more beautiful than gothic or conical (how?!).
    Thanked by 1SkirpR
  • Love me some conical chasubles.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • WendiWendi
    I don't know if most of them know it's a secret language. Especially at this point, it's like how fish don't notice the water they breathe, or the air they fly in.

I guess I knew unconsciously...but I never really thought about it until you mentioned it.

Andrew, I do understand what you are saying, and I freely confess (and have) that I am not always the most charitable person in the world.

On the other hand, many of us "in the trenches" are trying very hard to effect positive change in hostile environments, sometimes with little to no support. If the posts on this forum are anything to go by, I'm actually extremely blessed to have the amount of support I do, and even for me it's not all dark chocolate, and sweet red wine.

This forum is a place where we can come and say what's really on our minds, something that many cannot do elsewhere if they want to keep being able to provide for their families.

If people come here and all they get out of this forum is that it's a bitch session...they aren't really doing more than skimming. Is it sometimes a bitch session?...sure. But letting off steam in a safe environment is healthy and necessary to prevent nasty explosions.
    Thanked by 2expeditus1 CHGiffen
  • WendiWendi
    Oh and BTW...I had to read it twice...but I did understand your post Dearest.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Andrew,
    My attempt to make sense of that entrance specifically avoided mockery, griping, sniping and whining. I was deadly earnest, not my strong suit. I, too, have often tried to remind those here who ferociously criticize others' practices or philosophies that we're doing so in a farily small fishbowl, and that many outside that bowl look at us like we're guppies or trashfish. And I've been shouted down on occasion, right or wrongly.
    But, music and environment aside (and do read the commentary of a chorister in that event at the Cafe for perspective,) if when I left NPM in 2000 after the infamous pre-Gospel conga line dance to this point in an eminently worthy and appointed worship space, NPM shot callers still cannot resist throwing austerity, humility and even pageantry , an aspect they rake us over the coals for without any understanding whatsoever, out into the cold-- then it'll be seen and spoken of for what it was.
    I'm still not comfortable with this canyon of dissonant difference going unresolved. But, were I you in your position, I'd call for a G20 summit for Indy that thinks outside the box.
    More than arguments/castigations of OEW/MOC et al are now brutally tiresome, moreso are the unheeded calls for humility and dignity at event Masses, whether in Rio or DC.
    I used to wonder why at ACDA (Amer.Choral Directors Assn.) planners couldn't conceive of 3000+ conventioneers singing Spem in alium en masse. Does'nt anybody think that 3000 NPM members couldn't manage to sing Dyke's Nicaea in SATB with descant totally unaccompanied while the procession enters in solemn reverence? Or not?
    Thanked by 2Ralph Bednarz Jenny
  • Kathy, clearly you now realize how wrong you were to ever question the liturgical use of flying fish.
    The organizers simply have a deep devotion to St. Polycarp.

WHO ARE YOU TO DENY THEM?!
    Thanked by 3Kathy francis CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    Flying fish! Humbug! Behold, thou shalt be plagued with gnats, flies and locusts, thou creature of the pit! Courtesy of the biblical curse generator at Ship of Fools.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Traddies have their own secret liturgical code, too: Like the notion that fiddle-back chasubles are especially well-suited to liturgy (what?) or more beautiful than gothic or conical (how?!).

Meaning no disrespect, but first time I saw a fiddleback chasuable I thought Father was about to have his x-ray taken at the dentist's.
  • Kathy, clearly you now realize how wrong you were to ever question the liturgical use of flying fish.
    The organizers simply have a deep devotion to St. Polycarp.

WHO ARE YOU TO DENY THEM?!

Who's defending it? Not me. I have no problem with recognizing liturgical goofiness. I simply think that CMAA is not in a position to be publicly bitchy. It simply does no good and turns many people off that might otherwise be curious.
  • Kathy
    Who you calling a B, homey?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Relax, I've been plenty bitchy in my life.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    I understand. That's fine. But.

Most of the people in the pews there did not have anything to do with the ludicrous fish. (lutefisk fisk). They were subjected to it. They were stuck with it.

An "elite" small group would have organized this nonsense, and actually a lot of them wouldn't have wanted the fish either.

So I don't see why saying the ridiculous fish thing is ridiculous will be perceived as "bitchy." It's realistic, and obvious.
    Thanked by 2francis CHGiffen
  • I agree, to a degree. I suppose my frustration isn't only with the initial post at the Cafe, but with the dogpiling that happens in the comments afterwards, which is something endemic to the internet format.

I have been extremely frustrated this week at NPM, to say the least. While the actions of the RotR movement have been fruitful, this week clarified to me just how far we have to go. It's a long, long, way.

I'm also an optimist, though. I want to help with ways to really make a difference, and it is my (not so) humble opinion that these discussions of liturgical puppetry and clown Masses just don't help. They entrench people, and they make us feel really good that we're not part of That Problem, but they don't help.

I apologize for implying you were a bitch, Kathy. That wasn't my intent; I'm tired and frustrated.
    Thanked by 2Kathy CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Well, embrace your fatigue and frustration and love it, Andrew, as it's calling you and all of us to a glory well beyond this silliness.
    No, you're right, these discussions aren't helpful. However, I'd wager per capita that more of we CMAA make many more concessions out of loyalty, not fear, to practices at liturgy that we know in our heart do not advance the divine in the Divine Liturgy than those who are truly entrenched in the renewed status quo and are happy as porkers in slop that everyone's shouting it's party time again!
    Oh yeah, that entrance was definitely about singing a new church into being. Trouble as noted, most folks FACP didn't involve actual singing. Mahrt would be happy if the soundtrack to the video was altered to an Introit of distinction, and the banners photoshopped out of the picture. Cause they fo sho were watching the Entrance. Of what, though?
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Jenny
  • Kathy
    It's ok. Also, just my 2 cents, I appreciate the kind of ambassadorship you've been practicing, doubtless more effectively than you might realize!
  • chonakchonak
    Thanks for making that point, melo. They were trying to present an entrance procession worth looking at. I guess they thought they had to spend money to have artists make the kites and banners -- well, unless they were all corporate-sponsored and had product-placement logos that we couldn't see on the video.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • My heeeeeelarious comment was meant as a light joke.
    Must we bring angst into every matter? I mean, this situation is as odd as it is comical. We're talking about fish puppets.

I have no deep seated festering animosity toward NPM members. Can we not jest at the blatantly ridiculous? I think they can take it, no?
  • FWIW, the video didn't capture the audio well. From what I heard, people (unfortunately) sang the processional hymn very well.

Melo, you're right about having to make concessions. I think we all here have made our share, and there were probably plenty at that Mass (I know someone involved with the planning, and some of the selections were definitely forced through by vocal demagogues).

Richard, you may be on to something without realizing it. The kites were on sale at the "expo" this week. I don't know whose idea it was to incorporate them.

So that I can clarify a bit of what I'm feeling, by the way (because you all care!), I attended a lecture today by Ed Schaefer in which he was disrespected by a few attendees. As has been mentioned in other threads, we're not even speaking the same language as many other musicians. My experience this week has given me hope, but it's also grounded me in realizing that where we have to begin in our work is further down the ladder than I had originally hoped.
    Thanked by 2melofluent CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    What? Our ambassador was not respected? Is outrage! We will attack at dawn! Or, could we make it 9:30? You know, you can't really start the day without a proper brekkie. The sky will blaze with the burning of their kites! Or at least their environmentally responsible cotton banners!
    Thanked by 1francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I'm quite surprised that (Dcn.) Ed would be found at an NPM; but he's one sure-headed and unflappable, commited true disciple. To be next to him for five days in NOLA with Bartlett, Mahrt, Ron et al in the room was humbling. That guys/gals like Ed and Richard Rice, MACW and AOZ are willing to help RotR keep churning out in the hinterlands (I suppose that includes NPMLand) when they have "made their choice" is a testament to our fraternal charity towards all RC-dom. Happily, Ed can literally shake the dust off his sandals whenever.
    I respect the heck outta AWR, JMThompson, W.Tortolano and all NPM chant enthusiasts. But AWR ought to get off the fence and lobby when needed. I have a feeling that even Friar Funk was "holding back" fully expressing his POV in that roundtable, and AWR seemed all about accomodation.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    The mass was disappointing for a lot of reasons.

Bright moments were the offertory motet, Ubi Caritas, the Widor postlude, the fact that every single dialogue was chanted, and the Hughes mass ordinary and Latin Agnus Dei. Also the chanted communion proper was nice, even with all the junk in between it's repetitions.

Overall ... They could have done better.
  • Holy fishsticks! Sharknado
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    We spend 11 months and 3 weeks twisting ourselves into knots about how we need to try and be charitable, compassionate and understanding of the paradigms these people are coming from and engage in careful and patient dialogue to try and educate them.

Then we spend 1 week (during the NPM convention) commenting on and trashing what we see as regrettable and sometimes downright offensive liturgical abuses reported as coming from the convention events.

Make up your minds. Do we overlook this stuff and tell ourselves and others, "Yeah, but they did sing a little chant during the Mass. Let's call that a triumph," or do we declare that the emperor has no clothes?
  • CharlesW
    The emperor is perhaps only partially naked, but his panties are definitely showing. I am glad NPM is moving more toward the center. As its members have aged, it was a bit inevitable. There is still a bit of 60s/70s self absorption there, but not so much as in past years. It is getting better, but the fish was a bit nutty.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    David, for myself only, I don't think one word of any of my posts in this thread suggested coddling such "stuff," as I didn't find it all that humorous. The thread tone over here, as started by Kathy, wasn't as serious as her con-commitant post at Cafe. So, a litany of letting of steam via humor, sarcasm ensued in which I didn't enjoin for a change.
    But, your assessment that there's a consensus of "Well, chant was thrown a bone" isn't quite correct either by my reckoning. Chant is not the only arbiter of what constitutes right and fit worship. One more corrective from my view, what I SEE--the whole schmeer, shebang and situo cannot be viewed from an either/or perspective or we've disqualified ourselves from negotiation with other interests. We become idealogues alone, like some non-evil version of North Korea.
    My thing is humility when all else fails. And what I saw was failure through incoherence and engineered fashion. (Re. my line about letting those three hundred singing HOLY, HOLY, HOLY a capella rather than whatever that Entrance piece was.
    I'd've been just as happy if the three thousand sang "Come, worship the Lord" by and with John Michael Talbot accompanying on his classical guitar.
    The delivery system of musical catechesis and liturgical praxis for NPM is still off the rails. But to declare to the serfs of the NPM emporer that there is no there, there, would be a fatal strategy towards persuading argument and eventual consensus. YMOV.
    Your mileage obviously varies.
  • A few months ago I started a thread asking for the differences between NPM and CMAA. Now I am more confused than ever, although, of course, my heart lies with CMAA and it's mission. On the other hand, however, after reviewing the liturgies in Rio the last week, I can't help but wonder if we are fighting a battle that just can't be won, especially when Pope Francis makes statements like "I want a mess". These comments will only fuel the fire of those who are anti-chant and sacred hymnody. We don't need a lot of dissention to NPM on this forum and remarks about their liturgy. We do need to make sure our people are catechized correctly. We make jokes about the use of these "fish puppets", but I'd like to know the significance of this puppetry. Surely they have a reason and it means something. Catechesis is everything. Last night at my first choir rehearsal back from vacations, I asked the choir several questions, one of which was "why are you engaging in a liturgical ministry?" To my horror, a couple of singers raised their hands and asked what I meant by "liturgical". It was an opportunity for catechesis, of course, but just another example of how much so many people really don't know. Perhaps those who used this puppetry thought it would "enhance" worship without having a real reason for it, or perhaps (and I'd rather think this way), the fish had a significant meaning. I don't know, but it doesn't help my cause in promoting sacred music and more solemn liturgies.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    MT56, as I said above, I haven't joked an ounce in this thread, and joking is my wheelhouse.
    To this point of yours:
    We make jokes about the use of these "fish puppets", but I'd like to know the significance of this puppetry. Surely they have a reason and it means something. Catechesis is everything.

You've answered your own question within the question: symbols literally by definition should not require explanations of significance. The sign is self-evident. When a deacon elevates the Book of the Gospels after proclaiming, or a priest elevates the eucharistic elements, that elevation is an obvious sign that the Living Word and Christ is above all.
    So, in all seriousness, their reasoning has escaped that maxim. The issue of the NPM branding is an exception, but even that is mildly controversial. If you see a knight in armor mounted on a steed with a white flag and a stylized cross, you think "Templar." It's automatic. You see a processional cross with a corpus, you think "Catholic." So, if you see a series of banners with NPM at a Holy Mass, you think.....what? What if the logo on the banner was of Procter and Gamble?
    What's going on in this and most threads here is catechesis, MT. For us, which you obviously then share with those in your care. In terms of general catechesis of the faithful, that's a whole nuther issue. We share in that duty, but it is generated by each local pastor under the auspices of his See. And very, very few pastors weave into their homilies the necessary intellectual or artistic imagery to trigger catechesis through association and context. If someone mishandles or abuses reception of Holy Communion we ALL hear about it after the Communion Collect. But that's a didactic reaction. We need pro-active, innovative but orthodox celebrants/homilists to help us SEE the symbols for what they are while we're living and worshipping in the very midst of them.
  • kevinfkevinf
    Make up your minds. Do we overlook this stuff and tell ourselves and others, "Yeah, but they did sing a little chant during the Mass. Let's call that a triumph," or do we declare that the emperor has no clothes?

Neither. Some of us in the Louisville area (where the last national NPM convention was held) were talking this morning about where all these various organizations are or have been going. Clearly, there are leaders on both sides (NPM and CMAA) who hold strong agendas. Thats okay with me. These strong agendas force me to look at the questions more closely. My parish has come from the "NPM" paradigm (everyone sing everything, everything is all good,etc) to a position more in line but not quite in step with the ideals of CMAA. Is that okay? Yes, it has to be. Catholicism is universal, but the universality has to be worked out locally. It takes time to change ( I am on the 10 year plan) because it takes formation and catechesis. And one has to see both organizations (and their work) in context. I am not part of NPM for many reasons. I live here for many other reasons. CMAA is part of my plan for many reasons. But my neighboring parish is nowhere near the ideals spoken of here. Yet, a little at a time, things move along because people move them along. People who are exposed, read and talk to each other. Clergy change....young ones come forth.

Neither fret about what they do, but also look seriously. Also, do not fret about what CMAA is doing but look seriously. Learn by seeing both bad and good, here and there. Yeah, you do not like what they did at NPM. Okay, speak earnestly and charitably why. Make a dialogue and also know some are not going to change. People at NPM make fun of you in CMAA. I know because I have heard it. You make fun of them. Yeah, this thread demonstrates that at times. Its the human condition. But seriously looking at the merits (or lack of merits) is what we really need.

I know of a parish in my area that is very angry liberal. Its no fun to go there to worship. There is also another parish, well known to many that also has a lot of angry conservatives. Its no fun either. Both parishes espouse anger over prayer.

Voila, you know the answer.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I find it mildly interesting that Frs. Ruff, Chepponis and Krisman remain mute thus far, unless it's because (understandably) they believe they have nothing positive to say about the subject.
    Thanked by 2francis Gavin
  • The problem in my parish, and I would suspect in other parishes is that the signs are not always self-evident. I would bet that at least 80% of my parish has no idea why the Deacon elevates the book or why the Host and Chalice are raised. It's habit and they accept that blindly. And, yes, what's most important is that our priests weave into their homilies imagery to trigger catechesis. But, unfortunately, a lot of priests, including my own pastor, do not do any of that and the faithful go home with little true knowledge of what just happened. Too many priests leave the job of catechesis of the masses to those designated as DRE's and they leave the job of convincing the faithful of the beauty of sacred music to music ministers. In my experience, even the most educated and knowledgeable lay person does not compare to the people's desire to hear things from the priest himself.

And, unfortunately, there are many, many parishes who "espouse anger over prayer". In my parish, there is an older couple that sits in the front pew every Sunday and do not participate at all. The husband sits quietly and the wife stares at the priest and me (I'm right next to the priest, literally...argh!), with her hands folded across her chest just waiting for the next opportunity for something to go against what she believes in proper worship and something she can go to her Wednesday evening social grouping and complain about.

My confusion with regard to NPM is that they seem to constantly go across the fence into the CMAA yard, but do so without a strong commitment to it, as though they are afraid to admit that what CMAA is doing can also be very good and strong. Yet, they incorporate into their masses, chant and sung propers, along with guitars and silly puppets. To the uncatechized, this is mass confusion.
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    This is my favorite thread on the forum. Ever. Hands down.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Hands down.

Fish up.
    Thanked by 2Ben Chris Allen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Okay, I'll indulge in the mirth, prompted by the Wood scamp:

Lift high the fish, her fins and gills proclaim.
    To all the world, through words, it's meaning's explained.
  • Gather the fish, the guppies and sturgeons
    Gather the fish, the cat and the gold
  • BenBen
    Call to them now, and they will awaken
    Scaring the kids while flyin' over their heads.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Chris Allen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My confusion with regard to NPM is that they seem to constantly go across the fence into the CMAA yard, but do so without a strong commitment to it, as though they are afraid to admit that what CMAA is doing can also be very good and strong. Yet, they incorporate into their masses, chant and sung propers, along with guitars and silly puppets. To the uncatechized, this is mass confusion.

Careful with that last phrase, Jimmy Akin's copywrit that sucker, I believe.
    Howabout we take NPM/CMAA out of the equation. We just got flying fish kites for an Entrance procession. Let's see how that could have come about?
    Sure, yeah, I got it, I got it (and it's not Morgan Fairchild)*-
    A Committee!!! Like those Liturgy Committees that were "mandated in the seventies!"
    A bunch of, well, anybusybodies who want to be a talking head every time there's a meeting and the question is, "What shall we do this week?"

*obscure SNL reference.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions