Colloquium 2013
  • benedictgal
    I hope not, CHGiffen. It is my prayer that CMAA will give other smaller areas a chance to host.

I have to admit, I do feel embarassed having done the preliminary legwork, but, I still am serious about bringing Colloquium to South Texas.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • BG, as said before, no embarrassment needed from your valiant, ernest efforts to bring a colloquium to your thirsty locale.
    Here's a thought, in a way just as romantic a notion as an American front wowing Rome. Down the road, should any small, willing and able contingent of CMAA members commit themselves to a full weekend in Laredo to render aid and assistance in whatever ways possible to BG and all comers liturgical there, I'd be willing to help coordinate and participate in such a venture. We cannot always be at the mountain, but we can share the fire from it.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    BG ... if the Colloquium is in (south) Texas, I'll do everything possible to get there (although flying anywhere is pretty much not an option for us right now), and I do appreciate and share your concerns for sacred music in your area.

Chuck
  • Carl DCarl D
    Remember, too, that the Colloquium isn't the ONLY option. Regional events could be wonderful - and a bit cheaper. We had a weekend event in Colorado Springs a few years ago that was fantastic, with Scott Turkington and Horst Buchholz.
    Thanked by 2Gavin Ryan Murphy
  • ryandryand
    Nice to try to round up as many CMAA folk as possible though ... Right?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • @benedictgal Being that you have event coordination in your background, why not organize something similar to the Colloquium in your area? Utilizing the same ideas and prinicples of the actual Colloquium?

It would be nice to have a (East Coast) convention of sorts.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I agree ryand. We seem to have two (or more) purposes or principles that are not exactly synchronous. The two most evident ones expressed here are:

(a) to gather together as many Catholic church musician as possible to experience and discuss and be enriched by the best in sacred music in their work as church musicians,
    or
    (b) to show as much of the (hopefully Catholic) world as possible what the best in sacred music is and should be in more of their world (at least where it is lacking).

Adherents to the first principle might be accused of wanting a Colloquium that "preaches to the choir." And adherents to the second principle might be accused of advocating a Colloquium that aims to make a public statement by taking our great music into the trenches (possibly including Rome) where Catholic music might be absent, misunderstood, or less than ideal in some way.

Of course there might well be overlap in these principles, more so in the selection of some locations for the Colloquium, less so in others. Personally, I take my cue from the meaning of Colloquium, both as I've experienced it in academic contexts over my professional career and as it is traditionally defined.

In other words, it seems that a Colloquium is so-named because it is supposed to be a extended gathering or collection of meetings, sometimes informal but most often formal in academic or professional circles, for the purpose of exchanging ideas (through various means, sometimes lectures or seminars) on a fairly broad range of subjects, usually with a different leader and/or focus for each meeting within the Colloquium. Although some Colloquia might generate public interest, such publicity or media coverage should not be the reason for convening them. Any public interest generated or information disseminated should be viewed as a side-effect of the real purpose which is one of exchange amongst people with a common interest.

Others may have different views. Be aware, however, that I am not at all arguing against a Colloquium being held in South Texas, in benedictgal's area, where the side effects could be important – provided these side-effects are the sort that arise from the active participation of those being affected is achieved. You can't just take the great music there and show them; instead, you must involve them in it. This is something I can strongly support.

Also be aware, I am indeed arguing against a Colloquium being staged in Rome as a kind of publicity stunt designed essentially to show the Vatican what American Catholics can do (and even do amazingly well), despite all other side-effects such as having the opportunity to make Catholic music in the cradle of our Roman Catholic Church, seeing and otherwise experiencing Rome and the Vatican. That would be making Colloquium into something far different from what it should be. Taking the best of American Catholic sacred music to Rome serves a completely different purpose than that of a Colloquium, and that completely different purpose is best served by organizing and sending a competent, trained, well-rehearsed group of musicians sent there to create that beautiful music.

Chuck
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I am all in favor of doing one in Rome - NOT to "show Rome" ANYTHING, but to possibly take advantage of faculty there, and get first rate liturgical and musical education not only from the CMAA roster of clinicians, but from the Roman Institutes as well.

How arrogant is it to try and "show" Rome something ...
    Thanked by 1E_A_Fulhorst
  • chonakchonak
    If we were going to be "showing" anything in Rome, it would be showing our love for the church, our esteem for her teaching on sacred music, and our devotion to the person of the Holy Father.
    Thanked by 1Ryan Murphy
  • Thank you, Sir, may I have another?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I was to a certain extent reacting to what was expressed here earlier: have a Colloquium in the Vatican and Rome, and show 'em how it's done right. I had hoped it was a tongue-in-cheek remark. I would agree with PGA ... but ... who is going to nail down competent clinicians from the Roman Institutes, and, realistically, just how many of us here can actually afford the significantly larger effort and expense of making the trip to Rome over the already rather steep cost of trying to go cross-country in the United States? And chonak is right, as well as observing something that is ancillary to the real purpose of the Colloquium.

I love the idea of going to Rome and Vatican as Catholic musicians, but it should be with a purpose different from that of the CMAA Sacred Music Colloquium. Any trek to Rome and the Vatican must have well-reasoned and clearly defined purposes to make it justifiable, whether it's a "colloquium" or some other sort of venture. As of now, the reasoning seems hazy and ill-defined, at best.
    Thanked by 2chonak E_A_Fulhorst
  • It was "tongue in cheek," Chuck. But I failed to put smiley faces around the quote for PGA. My bad. As usual.
    Short memories. Mike O'Connor and quite a number of Floridians tried to make this happen around '08. We were ready to go all in. So, this isn't our first rodeo.
    But I'd sure as heck like to know if there is any corresponding organization in the E.U. that is doing as effective work to clarify the sacred worship music paradigm as does Mahrt and CMAA? Based upon the conflicting reports of what went down in the UK visitation and the Irish visitation, I suspect not. As far as what goes on in "Rome," let the record speak for itself. We Americans, inheritors of all the world's choral and singing traditions, have no voice whatsoever towards practicum involving achieving consensus and unity. :-)
    Did that sound cranky? Sorry.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • chonakchonak
    Well, CMAA is the American affiliate of the Consociatio Internationalis Musicae Sacrae, so there ought to be counterpart organizations in other countries.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Charles ... nope, not the least bit cranky! :)

Like you, I'm also not aware of corresponding organizations in the E.U. or elsewhere around the world.

As for mounting something akin to the Colloquium on an international scale, I would expect that one is talking in terms of an International Sacred Music Union (ISMU), one of whose major activities would be the organization and execution of an International Sacred Music Congress (ISMC), perhaps modeled on something like the International Mathematical Union (IMU) which holds a quadrennial International Mathematical Congress (ICM). Membership in the IMU is by countries, through an "adhering institution" (the American Mathematical Society, in the case of the United States) rather than through any governmental agency. Similarly, I would think that membership in an ISMU would be by countries, through an "adhering institution" (eg. the CMAA for the United States) rather than through any agency of the Catholic Church.

Just some food for thought. I can visualize an International Sacred Music Congress (ISCM) being held in Rome, or in the United States, or in Spain, or ... .
  • I understand the point about the purpose of a Colloquium. The Colloquium is not a traveling choir per se.
    Ok, then CMAA members can always go to Rome and call it something else.

I find nothing wrong or arrogant with showing Rome what we can do. As I understand the idea it's about bringing the fruit of our labors to the earthly center of the Church.

When I've been to Rome various nations sing their songs, shout their slogans, wear traditional garb, etc. Charles' idea is along those lines, as I understand it. We would go to Rome as American Catholics offering our collective best to the universal Church. I think that's a noble and beautiful purpose.
    I'm more behind the idea than ever. :)
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Maybe if they had it in a major part of the country, they could draw more than a few hundred people, and actually get some exposure with the average Catholic musican. DETROIT! :) A few of the most beautiful and important organs in the country are here as well...
  • chonakchonak
    I'm not sure I'd want the Colloquium to be twice its current size, just to pull a number out of the air. If we had six polyphony choirs instead of three, that could make for fewer performing opportunities for each participant, and less exposure to choral works we haven't known before. On the other hand, the performances might become more perfect.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • And more people that are using "Gather" in their parishes could be exposed to this excellent organization... just sayin.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Kathy
    My thought is kinda opposite to Chonak's. I would welcome less extensive, more intensive, learning of choral works. I would prefer to master a single Gloria than to learn an entire difficult Mass in a less thorough way.
  • WendiWendi
    I think if the colloquium doubled in size the way it's organized would have to be adapted for the larger numbers, but it could be done and that would allow more people the opportunity to support good music in the Mass and go home to tell all their friends.

I also don't think it would be bad to have more activities geared to non-singers. My father can't carry a tune in a bucket, but that doesn't mean he doesn't care what the Music sounds like. There is in my humble opinion a VAST demographic that would be supportive if the opportunity were given to them.

Just my perspective...YMMV.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • As the years go by, I've come to regard the colloquium as more a retreat than a convention, particularly this year's just concluded. There's really nothing conventional about a colloquium. The morning and evening offices, the preparations for Mass and Vespers, the fact that life long, sequential learning provides us all a framework for how to care and share what we experience there, the still communal nature of the lunches and scheduled dinners.
    Were we even to double from the current 2-300 average, there'd have to be some real coalescense between facilities' proximity, maintaining the depth and intensity of sessions and rehearsals (as Kathy endorsed), the accessibility from lodging/food to an ideal church and plenteous classrooms/seminar/theater rooms with keyboards, hopefully acoustic keyboards, eh Dr. Hughes?
    And as mentioned, we've had some frenetic (not panicky) moments the last few years scurrying from one schola to another choir at various points of a liturgy. So far, so good. But think about all that when projecting a doubling of enrollment. I'm not saying don't go there.
    But I would mourn the loss of the monastic feel of colloquium.
    Probably regional chapters and regional colloquiums are the next logical move. There appears to be no shortage of top notch people to plan and teach and direct.
  • WendiWendi
    Maybe regional ones every year and a national every five years or so?

Of course people would have to step up as regional coordinators, but based on the comments in this thread I don't think that lack of volunteers would be an issue.

• AOZ
    Thanked by 1gregp
  • Carl DCarl D
    I really REALLY gotta start saving up my pennies for next year! I've already reserved it on my calendar.
  • AOZ
    I hope many of you who didn't come this year will start planning now. SLC is a wonderful venue for the Colloquium, so a second year is in order. You won't be disappointed. And for some of you who feel it is too far away... remember that it is always too far away for someone!
    Thanked by 2miacoyne gregp
  • matthewjmatthewj
    'twas a fantastic city! I look forward to being there again.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I know I won't be disappointed at all ... if ... if I can come.
  • I have to second Charles' comments about how the Colloquium would be adversely affected if it grew beyond 300 participants. One thing that struck me as a first-time participant was the retreat-like aspect -- the daily routine of prayer, liturgy, work, meals, with all the opportunities for friendly discussions. You lose this kind of community as you get bigger. I teach for a college with 125 students, with a student-faculty ratio of 9:1, and I can tell you that it is an incredible experience to get to know everyone and to develop deep intellectual relationships across the board. This is a precious gift, enormously regenerative and nourishing, and church musicians have a need to experience it themselves, to get out of the trench warfare and into the protective and expansive haven of magisterial Catholicism.

The best solution, of course, would be to have an East and a West Colloquium, either each year or every other year, or something like that... I just don't know if the CMAA would be able to staff two Colloquia each year.
  • WendiWendi
    I think as growth continues they'll have to figure out something or it will get too big.
    Thanked by 1Ryan Murphy
  • mahrt
    What is needed is a church with good acoustics, good liturgical arrangements, and a schedule that allows extra services for the week; enough rooms to hold simultaneous rehearsals and break-out sessions (quite a few this year), and accommodations that are economical, but better than dorm rooms; finally a host who wants us there. We had all that at Salt Lake City, and that is why we will go back there.