Lenten Gospel Acclamation
  • G
    Is the "official" English chant setting from the new Missal translation for a Lenten acclamation anywhere on line?
    TIA
    (Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • G
    Seriously?
    No one?
    (Or is it just that there IS no "official setting?")

Save the Liturgy, Save the World!
  • The music for the liturgy comes from the Graduale Romanum...of which there is no "official" English edition...The "Gospel Acclamation" is generally a very shortened (often too short) version of that. So, the "official" setting would be the Tract...but the Lectionary offers other options, but no musical settings.
  • Laura
    On this note...
    Where in the lectionary do I find the official English translation of "Laus tibi, Christe, Rex aeternae gloriae"? The lectionary I have has only the VERSES for the Lenten Gospel acclamation, not the acclamation itself. I know it used to be "Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory." I think that "Praise and honor to You, Lord Jesus Christ" is also allowed. I have a suspicion that "aeternae" is probably now translated "eternal," rather than "endless," but I don't know where to look to check for the new offical English translation. Is this in the Missal somewhere? Help?
  • As far as I know there is no official setting of the Lenten Gospel Acclamations. They are found in the Lectionary, not the Missal, so the new edition of the Roman Missal does not provide music for them.

The official translations of the Latin acclamations for the United States (there are 8 of them - who knew?) are in the Lectionary for Mass for Use in the Dioceses of the United States, second typical edition, Copyright © 2001, 1998, 1997, 1986, 1970 Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, n. 223. A link to a handy guide, courtesy of Dr. Paul Ford, is here:

http://www.musicasacra.com/forum/uploads/2011/03/Lent%20acclamations%20OFFICIAL.pdf

I think the acclamations themselves are optional and that the Verse before the Gospel may be sung without an acclamation, but I don't have the Lectionary in front of me so I can't say for sure. The Missal doesn't mention Lenten Acclamations, only that Alleluia is not sung during Lent.
  • chonakchonak
    Note that the translations in Prof. Ford's list are his own; he doesn't say that they are official translations.

For what it's worth, another forum member tells me that he found a list in the Midwest Theological edition of the Roman Missal, comprising only four Lenten Gospel Acclamations in English.
  • Catholic Truth Society MR3 has this admonition and four antiphons:
    During Lent the following forms may be used or another similar phrase:
    R. Praise to you, O Christ, king of eternal glory! Or:
    R. Praise and honour to you, Lord Jesus! Or:
    R. Glory and praise to you, O Christ! Or:
    R. Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!

(Of course, the lectionary readings and saints' days are for England and Wales, Ireland and Scotland, i.e. lectionary readings are different from both the US and Canada lectionaries, including the responsorial psalms and refrains.)
  • The one that I have used for several years now is the version composed by David Hurd, based on a Kyriale. It is quite solemn and is far superior to whatever OCP has published. You can find the David Hurd version in the GIA acclamations spiral-bound book.
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The music for the liturgy comes from the Graduale Romanum...of which there is no "official" English edition...The "Gospel Acclamation" is generally a very shortened (often too short) version of that.

Adam, the Vatican II Hymnal gives both versions (Lectionary & Graduale), for every single Sunday and Feast. My observation has been that they often have nothing to do with each other. "Or am I wrong?" (As Richard Nixon would say.)
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    The Vatican II Hymnal gives exactly what Fr. Socías gives in the MTF Missal:

N.B. During Lent, both before and after the Gospel Acclamation, instead of the “Alleluia,” any of the following phrases may be used:
     Praise to you, O Christ, King of eternal glory!
     Praise and honor to you, Lord Jesus!
     Glory and praise to you, O Christ!
     Glory to you, O Christ, you are the Word of God!
     Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, king of endless glory!

Ash Wednesday (PAGES) from the Vatican II Hymnal
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Gary Penkala's answer may also interest some.
  • Sorry I didn't insert the link properly before:

http://www.musicasacra.com/forum/uploads/2011/03/Lent acclamations OFFICIAL.pdf

There are lovely settings in various hymnals, to be sure, but it should be noted that the MTF Acclamations are identical to the CTS edition which is for England, Wales, Ireland, and Scotland, provinces which have different English translations of the Lectionary from those of the US and Canada.

Paul Ford's sheet gives us not only his own literal translation of the Latin (in square [ ] brackets) but the official translation of the US-authorized Lectionary, n. 223 (located after Saturday after Ash Wednesday:

Glory and praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ!
    Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, Wisdom of God the Father!
    Glory to you, Word of God, Lord Jesus Christ!
    Glory to you, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God!
    Praise and honor to you, Lord Jesus Christ!
    Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ, King of endless glory!
    Marvelous and great are your works, O Lord!
    Salvation, glory, and power to the Lord Jesus Christ!
  • bkenney27bkenney27
    Resurrecting for obvious reasons:
    What settings of these do you use? I am trying to avoid Respond & Acclaim this year, but it would be great to have something metric and easy for the congregation to follow since have been choking a bit on the Vatican II style settings. I have seen Hurd by GIA above. Any others?
  • Are there any official chant settings of any of these?
  • As far as I know there are no official chant settings but I do know a rather good one which I'll post when I have access to my computer later today.
  • CharlesW
    I use the "Glory to you, O Word of God, Lord Jesus Christ" by Proulx, No. 408 in Ritual Song.
  • I have the following chant settings (in Latin) from Singing the Mass (2011) and Psallite Domino (2007). They can be adapted for the English acclamations.
    Thanked by 1ClemensRomanus
  • chonakchonak
    Last year we used this one from Marier; I don't know whether it needs to be adapted yet, or if it's OK until the Lectionary is replaced.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    This is for Ben Yanke:
    I really like that Alstott one, what it is it-Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ, King of Endless Glory?
    it reminds me of Mary had a little lamb. I can sing that!
    And Dies Irae.