New and worthy English Mass settings?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Since MR3 we've serviced Chris M.'s Missa 3rd Edition, Royce N.'s S. Therese, Chuck G.'s Ascensiones, Jeff MO's Sherwin, Richard C's and Richard R's respective versions ofAngelis, Paul Jernberg's SPhNeri, and some other lesser known Mass settings.
    I'm very interested in other Choir/Congregation settings of great merit you all may have come across. Anything from M/W, S/B, SAB and SATB that you have found worthy.
    Can you help a brother out?
  • music123
    What kind of Mass setting are you looking for? I have written one I am proud of, called the Mass for St. Hildegard. It is not based on chant, but has a bit of an Anglican feel. My goal in writing the Mass setting was to make the music worthy of the glory of God (no happy-clappy here!), while still being singable for both choir and congregation. We have been doing it for a year and a half, and my church seems to really like it. Let me know if you would like a preview.
  • Bobby Bolin
    Mass in Honor of Pope St. John Paul II by Richard Clark.
    Thanked by 1sergeantedward
  • Caleferink
    I happen to like the Siena Chant Mass by Br. Michael Dominic O'Connor in the St. Michael Hymnal. It's in unison, and the term "chant" is a slight misnomer, in my opinion (there is some variation, but it's mostly 4/4, and the meter changes are pretty suave), but I think it is in that simple-yet-dignified vein that you're looking for.
  • Jeffrey Quick
    It's not congregational, but you know my Kolbe mass, yes? If not, listen at jeffreyquick.com
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Yes, but for all my posturing, I have to go congregational as well. Love the Holy.
  • Any recommendations for choir-only English Mass settings? The James MacMillan Mass premiered at Westminster Cathedral in 2000 and revised in 2012 comes to mind, but I can't think of many others.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The Mode VIII Mass from the Lumen Christi Missal works well...
  • Any recommendations for choir-only English Mass settings?

The Grayston Ives Missa Brevis is extremely good and includes both Latin and English text (though one might as well just sing the Latin in that case). Other than that, the Howells Coll Reg comes to mind—obviously the translation is not the approved one, but it's undeniably aesthetically superior (presenting a "conflict" that's not really a conflict as it brings to mind that discussion about the correct being or not being the enemy of the good).
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    I gotta disagree here, CorAnglais16. In my opinion, it would be profoundly wrong for a Catholic choirmaster to select an English-language Mass setting for liturgical use that does not conform to the current, approved translation of the Missale Romanum, even if it is to be sung only by the choir.
  • I gotta disagree here, CorAnglais16. In my opinion, it would be profoundly wrong for a Catholic choirmaster to select an English-language Mass setting for liturgical use that does not conform to the current, approved translation of the Missale Romanum, even if it is to be sung only by the choir.

I am thoroughly familiar with Anglican Mass repertoire, just wondering if there is much out there that conforms with the new translation. I know some choirmasters who use English Mass settings by Howells, Stanford, Darke, etc and justify the language discrepancy by citing the Ordinariate Rite, although mixing and matching Rites seems rather shaky ground.
  • ViolaViola
    Glendalough Mass by Irish composer, Liam Lawton.
    Ironic, given my comments in another thread on singing in Irish churches, but this went down very well with our choir and congregation

[Admin note: Hi, Viola! I combined your two posts. If you need to add something to a post after submitting it, you can use the "Edit" link to re-open it. It's above, to the right of your username and the time/date mark.]
  • }Yeah, ADMIN!{
  • Holy Name of Jesus Mass - Norah Duncan IV This is the entire mass setting. Previously, only the Gloria was available.
    Thanked by 1ZacPB189
  • rschi123
    This is interesting, powerful and straightforward, Mass from Verbena. Mostly unison.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    That it is, though occasionally perfunctory. What sets me back is the 25 pound sterling cost for unlimited reproduction. Why would anyone need unlimited reproduction for a unison Mass setting?
    Mssr. Sands might reconsider his marketing strategy.
  • eft94530eft94530
    Why would anyone need unlimited reproduction

So you can legally make pewsheets?
  • Liam
    If you do, you become a pewsheeter.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    If you do, you become a pewsheeter.

Holy sheet!
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    If you have unlimited reproduction on something like a hymn, you can use it any time, without having to contact the publishing company or copyright holder each and every time you use it. That could be really handy for a good wedding or funeral hymn.

It also gives the composer COMPLETE control over the compensation for use of music, rather than a complicated publishing company contract that keeps insignificantly small checks coming in, maybe regularly, maybe not. In that case, it greatly depends on how much marketing said company does for you music. "Creative Commons" evidently gives one this power rather than "Copyright". Get you fee, up front, for whatever forms the customer (usually a church, i.e. non-profit) and move on tot he next customer. Many composers will include a digital graphics file of the congregation's part along with the PDF files for accompaniment and choir use.

IMO this is a much better way to go for the composer, and more in keeping with the Church's approach to "intellectual property", which the International Copyright Law is not.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Leave it to eft to widen the hole in my rhetorical gap. My issue with the cost regarded bang for the buck as regards choral copies exclusively. But, point taken my Richmond friend. I don't have a beef with one size all fees (we have St. James Press out here, and I've done this with other offerings as well.) But there is the issue of overcharging for minimal content. When you're paying $3.50 per octavo just for 1 or 2 voice parts AND page after page of accompaniment/obligatos X # of folks in the quire, my gouge detector goes overboard. There's a ridiculous Ojo Gjello piece out with about 30 pages of minimalist nonsense in faux double/triple choir staves that for the most part has mostly unison among the sections. That's morally indefensible. I'll call and raise that pew-sheet every time. ;-)
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • Priestboi
    There is a Mass by Fr Alex from Nairobi, that is really good. I am currently setting it to the new Mass text. Any takers? PM me.
  • chonakchonak
    After you have some of the adaptation done, maybe you can post an audio recording (even simulated) to give people an idea of the style.
    Thanked by 1BruceL
  • Priestboi
    It will be a while. I have finished the Sanctus, Kyrie and Agnus Dei - the Gloria is KILLING me. There is no joy to speak of at this moment :)

PS: Since it is from Nairobi, kindly expect a smattering of African flavour regarding style.
  • Priestboi
    Hi everyone!

As promised, here are the files for the arrangement of the Ggaba Mass by Fr Alex B. Chima. It took a while, but there is is.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • chonakchonak
    It's good to see a familiar name on the scores; the harmonizations were done by Ugandan composer Michael Mukisa, who lives here in the States, and coordinates a choir at St. Mary's Church in Waltham, MA, a suburb of Boston. His psalm settings are used frequently in the parish.

I'll convert the MIDI files to MP3 for people whose computers aren't set up to play MIDI.