Desperation as usually at church
  • eft94530eft94530
    pre-packaged liturgy.

Can I order one of those?
    To be delivered on "school Mass" days?

[Insert here blue-covered book picture by Adam Wood.]
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • condorgcondorg
    Please understand that it is important discussion.
    I am agree with many points, absolutely.
    The harangue or anything of Pastor or any clergy or anyone except music department according to all rules I can not even to discuss.
    My desperation was about the music.
    If to add the lyrics of Haas/Schutte/etc to Bach/Mozart/Schubert tunes- would it bother me?
    Actually not as much comparing to
    if to add the Scripture in its purity to TUNES of Haas/Schutte/.
    The priest is NOT a bad person, not at all is much different with 99% of priests.
    It is non of my business his sermons/interacting with parish.
    What I posted as my question: the great sacred music program was created. Was existed.
    Only the great hymns according to your forum and the church rules. The children Schola, the glorious Choral music with orchestra (once again, I can send as a personal email the link to recordings to prove it). It was reversed recently to 70th with a motivation that parish is shrinking because is deprived of a few songs. The deviation from my "music" question to the situation of "shrinking" and the clarification from Admin. came as explanation, I believe, that few songs just can not be a reason of shrinking or opposite the growth of parish. I can discuss the music only, and the priest, once again, despite whatever situation, has my sympathy as a human being for sure.
    There is no way back, but it is ruining of what was done.
    The priest has personal excuses of his delinquencies, and believe me, he is not a bad guy. He would not harm me, he is just doing what are doing all the priests, most of catholic churches. it was again never of my intruding in his area of expertise while he was just same Folk Mass dictator with a microphone as a weapon of dictating "his view". You all know, the Priest can say," find another employment, i have a different view on music program at my church"
    Now. I stumbled upon the "songs that everyone knows" or "should know" in the average American/Anglophone parish."
    http://musicgiftofgod.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-team.html
    where together with Now Thank We All Our God and For All The Saints-

I am The Bread
    Turn to me
    Christ Be Our Light
    The Summons

And it is same as doing priest. "Blending" a great heritage with nonsense.
    What is look for all or many of you just innocent nostalgic sentiment with using those songs, in reality is just messing the atmosphere and mystery of the Mass.
    please, all irony, stones at me. Just I see the basic misunderstanding here as well. Thank you.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    condorg, if I may ask:
    What is your primary language?
    How long have you been involved in parish music ministry?
    What is the main concern of your original post that started this thread?
  • Condorg,

Is a part of the problem that you and the priest have a language barrier?

Thanked by 2melofluent Gavin
  • condorgcondorg
    My language at the moment is ESL
    My desperation was about the music.
    it was a good sacred program that I built and the great feedback from the known musicians and many in parish.
    However this music was accused in recent parish shrinking. Bach, Schubert, Mozart and deleted infamous and heretical hymns.
    I am asked in a best nice way by the priest to less provide Organ preludes, Propers, Latin ("it drives people away from church")
    and as the very friendly alternative I am allowed to play only shortest, always major and always very soft, just Flute 8' Preludes, but only with the following Haas+Schutte.
    The purpose is not existing. I went through several interview and was offered tthe job to do the same: Haas and Schutte.
    There is no purpose to annoy anyone, I saixd it is the desperation, and I am apologizing for disturbing all serious forumites who are in better situation than me. Hopefully i answered. I can not say more.
  • condorgcondorg
    @Chris: NO NO NO. Of course not. There is no a millimeter of any barrier, either cultural or language. I am a long time here. We do not have to talk. He is aware that only Folk Mass and Brasil WYD and Steunebville are the church.
    I am working with children and adults, professionally for several years in USA, and despite my poor grammar...Well: I know great musicology in Yale and IU and Princeton and their accent and grammar are famous. The ESL for musician who are not a musicology is even more forgivable. I am not talk much at all with anyone re anything. I can not play and hear anymore Haas/Schutte/Maher/ - all of that - not in church nor outside of church. My famous friends said at West Coast they had a trouble to find a church with church music. I will edit it.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    My famous friends said at West Coast they had a trouble to find a church with church music. I will edit it.

That's nice to know. I'm sure MACW, KP, JM, JMO, GP, CGZ, JC, CT, RdV, WM, PF,AW, SD, SO, EFT/RM at St. David of Wales, Richmond, not to mention folks from Oregon and Washington State will do their best to help your famous friends find a church that meets their expectations. May the road rise up to meet you, condorg.
  • CharlesW
    Condorg, in the plainest English I can muster, you need to find another job and get the h*ll out of there. Keeping that kind of job can kill your body and your soul. It is not worth it!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • eft94530eft94530
    melo, please enhance your California list to include initials EFT and RM.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • chonakchonak
    Unfortunately, condorg was using the forum to vent some personal drama from dealing with a nut-case boss; but just venting here does not benefit anyone. Really, getting out of that situation is the best thing to do, and since condorg has been there for several years, it's hard to have much sympathy for the soap opera. (Condorg has posted about the same situation previously under different usernames, and as admin I don't intend to allow any more of it.)
  • ghmus7
    MF.
    I am in admiration.
    However, it is not always thr case that speaking one's mind-even if it is the mind of the church to authorities is not without cost.
    There are many subtle ways in which clergy can make music staff feel uncomfortable... If the musician disagrees with his mandate. Sometimes it is nothing obvious, but a withdrawing of support for your ministry, perhaps nothing actually negative, but the lack of a supportive word when it is critical, ...and then the music person finds that they are on a desert island. One thing i have found difficult is a micromanagement of the details of the music ministry. Let's face it, some clergy like the position of being able to control what goes on in the parish to a minute degree. When they generally let us alone to allow us to do the work we have been trained for, things go well.
    Also, since priests are inculcated in obedience, they somtimes do not quite know how to react to lay people who do not have that mindset at all.
    I think for me, the challenge is to speak out for what is right, but in the right spirit.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Liam
    Chonak

Thank you. The Internet is a particularly *ineffective* place to vent in terms of cartharsis. It tends, as best I can observe over the past 20 years, to *intensify* the cultivation of resentment.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood chonak
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    However, it is not always thr case that speaking one's mind-even if it is the mind of the church to authorities is not without cost.

I'm with you there. The Truth is always hard, and always has a price. People tend to reject Truth when it doesn't suit their lives, including myself. I am reminded of one of my favorite passages from Scripture, which is from the recent Bread of Life Discourse: "This teaching is hard, who can accept it?" Of course, we all know what happened: many of His followers left because they could not accept what Jesus was saying. Who knows how many of them perhaps came back? I'd like to think that there were at least some that came to the realization of who Christ was after they left, and sought Him again. (I don't think Scripture tells us, but I might be wrong). My point is that if you're doing the right thing, and defending the Truth, some people will have a difficult time with you. At the parish level, this translates into people leaving for some other parish where they can get what they really want: in this case the shallow, emotional connection with the music from their childhood and early adulthood in the 60s and 70s. These people are, unfortunately, attending Mass for the wrong reasons usually.

I was musing on this situation and how it is similar to one I recently had, and also making a connection to Fr. Carter's address from a recent CCWatershed blog post. Vis:

At first I felt betrayed by all this—why had they kept this such a big secret? Why did they hide this from me? When I expressed my amazement at the riches I was finding in these books and rubrics, I encountered people who were viscerally angry! Angry that I had found joy in our own tradition. Angry that I was ‘undoing Vatican II’; angry that I wasn’t buying what they had spent so much time and effort building.

Didn’t I know how bad the old days were? “No, I don’t. I’m only 35—Marty Haugen and Dan Schutte are the ‘bad old days’ for me! Now I get to sing awesome things like Ambrosian Hymns composed in the 4th century and Kyrie’s that are even more ancient. I get to sing Pange, lingua, gloriosi Corporis mysterium, and Adoro te devote, latens Deitas.”

I can relate to this, because I've personally asked the question, "What happened?" and been viscerally refused an answer. The conclusion I came to was that the people who react in this way must have been personally affected in a negative way by something that was happening at the time. The problem is that because of that negative experience, they are telling the next generation that "you don't want to go back to that," and "you don't know how awful it was;" telling us, essentially, that the Traditional way is wrong because of their bad experience. Fr. Carter is right, though, the current generation doesn't have the same relationship with Latin and the Tradition of the Church as they do. I know I've had this discussion elsewhere on the forum, so I really don't think that we should really explore this tangent again here, but I mention it because I think it's relevant to the OPs post. Of course, because this comes from the musings of my own mind, and is sure to be filled with my biases, I may be completely out in left field.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thanks again, Richard, for the info/perspective. Many likely surmised as such. But whether due to syntax, imprecision or whatever, it is difficult for anyone to provide help because the perspective is still obscure. Which then causes reactions that complicate rather than mitigates a specific concern.
    I mentioned earlier that I had a liturgy meeting (pastor, two associate pastor, liturgist, me.) 9:30am to noon, and it was all not only good but pleasant. Since the pastoral change last year and the formation of this committee ( I loathe the standard notion of what a liturgy committee does) we actually discuss not only nuts and bolts, but big picture stuff. I asked my clergy were they aware of Cdl. Sarah's (CDW) letter on liturgical east in the OF. We talked about equitable rotation of celebrants in order to achieve more confidence in homiletics. I was informed that one organist drags the tempo on a Gloria. Nothing about repertoire, ever, has been a concern to this current pastoral crew, nor any other. I'm with my third pastor in a quarter century. He also happens to be the only pastor who's ever written me up for insubordination (Who Me, Mr. Melo!) for which he had every right to do. But he did so to save our relationship, to know and solidify that I understood my role, but not usurp my role. I've made it clear in many fori that I will use the breadth of the sacred treasury to " cry the Gospel." I have been graced by God that every pastor in 45 years has trusted me to do so. And now, today....after the 2.5hr meeting, we may be on the cusp of being able to offer at least a Missa Lecta in the EF because one of those clergy and I (who didn't start off well) are of similar mind and heart that the absence of the offering of the EF in our city needs redressing. It doesn't much matter to me if an east coast DM sees everything in black and white in terms of repertoire. People need time, reassurance and truly pastoral leadership. And, like it or not, it's a big tent. Just make sure your circus is Ringling Bros., not Circus Vargas.
  • CharlesW
    It doesn't much matter to me if an east coast DM sees everything in black and white in terms of repertoire. People need time, reassurance and truly pastoral leadership.

You got it, Charles. There is one local group of singers - they are good, so no criticism there - who have been responsible for getting good music cancelled in two parishes. The director goes overboard and to excess with early music, without allowing the congregation to come along at their own pace. Too much zeal for a personal agenda can destroy everything and too much, too fast never works. I find it good to start from a point where the congregation is comfortable, and improve over time. It is worth the investment, keeping in mind that a point can be reached beyond which the congregation will not go. Such is reality.
    It is worth the investment, keeping in mind that a point can be reached beyond which the congregation will not go. Such is reality.

That's part of the problem, though: it shouldn't matter what the congregation will or won't do. I acknowledge the reality of today in that in many places the congregation's will (or perceived will) is obeyed above all else, including the will of the Church. Everyone loves the Pastor or boss who will bend or only loosely enforce the rules, or who says "yeah, but the people are more important than the rules." People love to be told they are important, and yes, they are, but rules exist for a reason, or they would not have been written. The rules of the Church, in my experience, are there to help us save souls, which is her primary function.

I digress. The point is the the Church should do what the Church does, whether or not her people approve of it, and regardless of what her people will or won't do. This includes all aspects of the Mass, including the music. No aspect of Divine Worship is a matter of personal preference.
  • CharlesW
    I digress. The point is the the Church should do what the Church does, whether or not her people approve of it, and regardless of what her people will or won't do.

I wish all that were true from any practical point of view. The people have the money and it talks loudly when they take it elsewhere. When they are unhappy, they do exactly that. Lack of funds attracts the attention of the diocese, and said pastor is sent to the Sudanese missions, or their equivalent.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • Reval
    I joined the Church 7 years ago. I feel like I now understand more than ever before, the phrase "rules were made to be broken".
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    I joined the Church 7 years ago. I feel like I now understand more than ever before, the phrase "rules were made to be broken".

Working for the Church is as written in scripture.

Isaiah 35:5 (KJV) Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened , and the ears of the deaf shall be unstopped.
  • Liam
    Rather, it helps to remember that the Catholic Church's DNA is not North American but Roman. And not merely the Rome of Late Antiquity, but up to today. For a tangible feel for this, try driving in Rome.
  • Reval
    Fortunately, the Church is not my employer. I enjoy a civic bureaucracy instead.

• There are, above, examples of and disapproval of some musicians who introduced good music 'too quickly', who 'went to fast', who 'didn't bring the people along', and so forth. While these sentiments have great value, and I don't necessarily approve or disapprove of them in any or every case, I am struck by a very serious inconsistency, a curious seeming inapplicabilty of such wise admonitions when it concerns the sudden introduction of what is not good music in a place where there had been good music, and the rapid uprooting of an established instance of good musical praxis by a priest and/or musicians who did not respect it and replaced it with their own preferences as quickly as they could do so.

The point is that wise counsel in this matter does not seem to work both ways. We seem to be on a one way street. We never hear of people 'taking their money elsewhere' or rising up in rebellion when good music is replaced with bad. We never hear of bad music people struggling to introduce their horrors and being exhilarated because they were able to sing just one of their songs during communion and 'a lady' complimented them on it. We never hear of them patiently 'bringing the people along'. Not anywhere near it! With them it seems always to be blitzkrieg. I think, indeed, that when faced with a rooted musical culture, one should make changes cautiously, respectfully, wisely, and with a professional maturity. But it doesn't seem to work both ways. In such a culture, while I counsel patience, I don't get too upset when a good musician is shown the door for a (real or perceived) lack of 'people skills'. These skills do not seem to be required of those in the other camp. They have been uprooting an established culture over night ever since Vatican II. And the people just sit there and blink.
  • CharlesW
    No, I think rapid change is not appreciated, whatever it is. Everyone gets comfortable and any kind of change "jars" them and makes them uneasy.

I can tell you of several instances locally where folks have left when music went from good to bad. It does happen both ways.
  • But, and this again highlights the unlevelness of the playing field, when those (atypical?) people whose good music was replaced with bad left was the bad musician fired? Likely not!
  • CharlesW
    Generally, the good musician left. However, I know of an instance where the bad musician left. There was an "organist" at the parish where I play some years before me. He clearly didn't understand pipe organs because he would do crazy things like hold a chord and turn the power off. That would sound horrid as the wind pressure dropped. One of the elderly choir members said to him, "You are no good and you need to leave." Eventually the choir complained to the pastor and the guy was history.
  • I think, indeed, that when faced with a rooted musical culture, one should make changes cautiously, respectfully, wisely, and with a professional maturity. But it doesn't seem to work both ways.

Agreed. I left a parish in which there was decent, not great, music (but moving -- slowly, as you say -- in a good direction). That all came crashing down very quickly, in a stretch of weeks, not months or years. A few of us left, not many.

Much of the music that was introduced into my old parish could be characterized by

1. lyrics that require no thought whatsoever to comprehend (insofar as there is anything to comprehend in them) and certainly almost nothing that could be thought a substantive exploration or celebration of the Catholic faith

2. a chord structure that could be described as one measure "Here's what candy tastes like", one measure "Would you like some candy?" and six measures "Here's some candy". Repeat ad nauseum.

3. Melodies that are much more about the person singing than about directing the mind and heart to worship or celebration.

I make no claim that 1-3 are universal in poor church music, but I have found them to be common, to varying degrees. And given the baser parts of human nature, I think it is unsurprising that it doesn't work both ways.

It is equally difficult to convince somebody who is addicted to cocaine to try meditation instead.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    It is equally difficult to convince somebody who is addicted to cocaine to try meditation instead.

WHY NOT BOTH!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    ^^ -1
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    He clearly didn't understand pipe organs because he would do crazy things like hold a chord and turn the power off.

You don't have to be crazy to play organ, but it doesn't always seem to hurt either. Listening the last wind escape through the pipes was a much anticipated treat for me at a previous instrument, and guaranteed I wouldn't end up standing in the parking lot unable to remember whether I'd turned off the blower or not.
  • CharlesW
    Listening the last wind escape through the pipes was a much anticipated treat for me at a previous instrument, and guaranteed I wouldn't end up standing in the parking lot unable to remember whether I'd turned off the blower or not.

Having an electrician install a timer switch was my solution - after a visiting "organist" left the organ on 3 days causing the blower to catch fire. You wonder how those with such little presence of mind can ever learn to play anything.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • A timer!? Ingenious! Why, this should be standard on all new organs. I couldn't say how many times I have driven back to the church because I couldn't remember whether or not I turned the organ off.
  • gregpgregp
    Then, the only thing you will ever have to worry about is whether the timer is working properly.......
  • CharlesW
    These switches are often used in buildings to turn lighting off. I had a heavy duty one installed to replace the power switch on the console. It can be set for up to 6 hours. Every couple of years it wears out and has to be replaced, but that is much cheaper than replacing a blower. I catch it when the switch wears out. I am so OCD I check EVERYTHING multiple times.

Rodgers used to install circuitry that would cut their organs off if the keys were not touched for 4 hours. I don't know if they still do that on their new organs.
  • dad29
    narcissism, paranoia, egomania, selfishness, plain old childishness and immaturity, ecclesiastical snobbery and hauteur

I can name TWO of them (EF) and 1 (OF) and justify the accusations, too. That's from a total of around two dozen that I've observed closely over the years.

• dad29
    since condorg has been there for several years,

Umnnnhhhh....one suspects that Condorg's visa requires US employment, eh?
  • chonakchonak
    It's obnoxious to assume that someone is not a US citizen because the person's English is imperfect.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Since I'm still here, Richard, and you've got a bird's eye view, it has been syntax-wise very, very difficult to discern what condorg's central beef is, except the usual- why forsake Hadyn for Haas? We cannot keep re-inventing the wheel here. Politics will always try to dictate culture. As the wisest of us, Liam rightly assesses that venting here is welcome, but it's old hat. And because of the lingual dissonance, some condorg commentary seems to be intolerant and dismissive. YMMV.
  • chonakchonak
    Yes, indeed; some of condorg's commentary came across as intolerant and dismissive.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • dad29
    It's obnoxious to assume that someone is not a US citizen because the person's English is imperfect.

Speculation is not assumption. He stated above that English is his second language, and he seems to be hanging on to a job he absolutely hates. It so happens that when one has an immigration visa one MUST have employment in the US. No job, no visa.

So I speculated. It's obnoxious to assume that speculation is either malevolent OR assumption.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • chonakchonak
    Readers can judge the comment.

In any case, those of us from immigrant families know that people can become citizens and live and work in this country for decades and still have rough grammar.

People who don't know that may just be showing their own lack of experience.
    Thanked by 3canadash CHGiffen Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I was here on an R-1 work visa and changed jobs - it's just the matter of filling out some paper work and waiting for the government to approve you changing jobs.
  • CharlesW
    So I speculated. It's obnoxious to assume that speculation is either malevolent OR assumption.

I understand that. Given that our open borders can allow the free movement of terrorists - something our government seems unconcerned about - I am more suspicious when I hear those accents and see strange clothing. I have no objection to those who want to come here and work. Our government should accommodate those while keeping up with who they are and where they are. I do try to exercise what Christian charity I can muster toward those from Canada and California. It's hard, but I try.
    Thanked by 2eft94530 chonak
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Momentarily detouring from the "those qwirky feriners" tack the thread has taken, Im going to revisit MJO's about the contrast between the slow building of good music and the "blitzkrieg" of junk.

He's right in general I think even though I have thankfully never had to experience it. I can however think of one example of slow poison so to speak and that is when we introduced LifeTeen to the parish. LT says none of their stuff is required, but there was an unmistakable pressure to close us on introducing a youth Mass as if it was the last day of the month at the real estate office in Glengarry Glen Ross. Again, they say that the Mass doesn't have to have a certain character, but it is obvious that an ideal LT Mass is supposed to be a CCW/P&W modern-multimedia sensory overload. "As long as the pastor approves" was the rule. What this really meant was that you should introduce as much the circus as possible until somebody squeals. So it wasn't exactly Blitzkrieg. It was more like the annexation of Austria-Hungary and Czechoslovakia.

So I sometimes remind myself it's not really Left vs. Right, or conservative vs. liberal. It's a more basic Order vs. Chaos with Chaos having an almost insurmountable advantage in the mundane world: it can afford to lose a thousand battles; it only needs to win once.
  • Reval
    On an unrelated note, I mean no disrespect to our original poster, but I keep reading his name as "corndog".
    Thanked by 4CharlesW G Spriggo Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Scott, I don't share that the tack "those quirky feriners" was a digression at all. Those who tried to help with the poster's "desperation" might have, like myself, read his thoughts over and over to get as accurate an understanding of the core issues. Was it clerics, repertoire, modernity, culture, etc.? And the more that was offered us the more difficult a task it became.
    Now, to your point- I wonder when many of us will move on from trying to re-construct, autopsy and then offer expert testimony full of revisionist notions all backed up by research or just opinion about "wha' happened in the past?" Okay, it was either blitzkrieg or annexation, fine so what? When do we start talking about what's ahead, and how we can go about righting the listing vessel?
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
    In terms of junk being able to be introduced at lightning speed vs Sacred Music needing to be introduced slowly, a couple of points:

1. All change is sudden, no matter how small. At some point, the change must occur and in an instant, something is different from what it was before.

2. It depends on who is pushing for the changes. This is true in any environment: business, school, church, etc. I asked the principal last year if we could do a middle school choir, which is something the Pastor would have emphatically approved of since he's been asking for it for years. She told me to put out "feelers" to see what interest level there was, and then after a couple of weeks informed me that there wasn't enough interest, even though I had twelve girls who were ready to commit. There is a teacher who is fairly close to the Pastor here, and has his ear on many things. The first time she mentions doing a musical to the principal, it's approved immediately, no "feelers," no assessment of student interest or ability level, no speaking with the music director first, just "we're doing this, and we want (translation: need, because you really can't do a musical without the music) you on board." So, long story short: if the right people are pushing for the change, it will happen quickly.

3. If we are introducing change slowly so that "people won't notice as much," then aren't we essentially lying to the faithful? They've been poorly formed, liturgically speaking, so instead of addressing that particular issue directly we try to slip in our agenda under the radar so fewer people will notice and complain? If the Pastor is on your side, he will help address the lack of liturgical formation in the faithful under his care. If not, you won't be able to do an ounce of Sacred Music if someone complains even once about it.

*DEEP BREATH*

So, here's the bottom line: you must, absolutely MUST have the support of the priest, or you're stuck.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Scott_WScott_W
    It may be old hat to you melofluent, but MJO's observations were new to me (at least a new presentation I hadn't thought of before) and make sense at least enough to be worthy of considering and perhaps keeping them in mind I think can be profitable for moving forward. I may be way off and in the end there is no profit, but see no reason to gag this particular line at this time and if someone has heard it all before, fine, I'm not forcing anyone to participate.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Scott, not ragging, just trying to lighten the load and move forward.
  • G
    We cannot keep re-inventing the wheel here.

Respectfully disagree.
    It is probably, it is to be HOPED that there is a constant infusion of new blood in most endeavors, in most orgnizations, and here the thread drift here makes the "search function" haphazard at best. (Richard is terrific at separating out new topics, but there are limits.)
    What's old hat to me or you may be a new subject or an exciting new line of thinking to someone else.
    I had an ongoing argument with someone once about smells and bells, and his argument against any aesthetic or sign value in them boiled down to a sniffy, "unnecessary to a liturgically mature community."
    His community, you see, was "liturgically mature."

I deduced from this that his community is surely dying, since it cannot possibly have any neophytes or children, and if it did, they would be made unwelcome by this attitude, as needing things the "liturgically mature" did not need, and did not wish to provide.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I should have employed a different transportation analogy, G.
    By the circumstances you outlined perfectly I tend to think we do not want a concours d'elegance mentality "on display," what others demean as "museum liturgy." Don't know if I'm right about that.
    However, if one looks at a 1930's era Bugatti Sedan/Cabriolet, and then finds the most recent pictorial of a 2015 Bugatti Veyron, the viewer would have to be tunnel-visioned not to see the organic (if you will) similarities linking the same company's vehicles over almost a century of evolution. The opposite analogue might be found illustrating the sort of minimalist, nostalgic rationale (authentic liturgy in apostolic times) of vintage Fiats to whatever that thing they call the Fiat 500 that now demeans our byways.
    So, are we talking about the same thing? Form should be synonymous with function?