In search of the ultimate hymnal
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    everything else is MSWord

Thanked by 2Ben MatthewRoth
  • Would you approve of Publisher?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Publisher is at least intended to do that job.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You know how some people don't seem to even notice that one song or another is appropriate for church? I don't mean people who specifically like bad music, but people who literally can't see anything majorly different between Adoro Te Devote and Gather Us In.

You know how there are people who truly cannot tell the difference between a real pipe organ and a digital simulacrum, and don't understand why in the world you bother spending all that money when the digital is just as good?

You know how there are people who listen to an out of tune piano and don't realize why it's bad? Or who don't see anything different AT ALL between croony belting and legit choral singing?

How you all feel when people say crap like that is how I feel when people think that print design (and web design) is basically something anyone can do and use whatever tools because, you know, I basically know what looks good and anyway no one really notices fonts.

Use good tools. Use good fonts. Reset music so it matches. Design things well. Don't put up with mismatched margins or off-centered images. Learn the difference between a jpg and a png. Print things on decent paper. Fold them squarely.
  • Word works just fine. The font is the same throughout (Times New Roman) except for the Church's name on the title panel. TNR is also used for all hymn texts in Finale, which has templates for all melody line only music. I prefer TIF graphics to PNG or JPG. I'm sure publisher works well also, but Word is easier. The office uses Word for the bulletin also. All printing is done in-house, not sent out. And, if I've not been clear in this, there are never scans of existing hymnals, etc. - ALL music is done in matching templates in Finale. Once you have templates, it's just like working in a more sophisticated program. Word works just fine.
    Thanked by 3Gavin CharlesW lmassery
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Times New Roman is Finale's default along with many other programs, but that doesn't make it a good choice, especially for music and bulletins and worship aids. It's a font intended for newspaper/tabloid publishing, not good for long documents, books (especially novels or poetry), or correspondence. It's far too narrow, suitable for a tabloid or newspaper maybe.

We've had this discussion here previously. People have their own favorites, but NYT is not one of them, by a long shot. All of my own templates for Finale have been (re)written for Palatino Linotype fonts, which is MUCH better, although I've also used various incarnations of Garamond with success. My biggest complaint about word processers, engraving programs, etc. is that, by and large, although it's possible to change fonts to something desirable, it is usually not possible to specify a default font family for startup (hence, for Finale, the necessity of tweaking all the templates and writing new ones).
    Thanked by 2BruceL Ben
  • But can we say that even huge, conglomerate or mega parishes are guaranteed such personnel luxury?

From a business sense, much income would it produce?

Is it really, really necessary to read the readings that are being read to you while they are being read?

Would newcomers feel welcome and stay rather than parish-shop? Would parish-shoppers like the practice and stay?

Would it eliminate the idiocy of announcing (illicitly) bake sales, fish fries and such before the final blessing?

• francis
    MS WORD??!!!!!!! Not you too, Steve!
    Thanked by 1MatthewRoth
  • CharlesW
    Word works just fine.
    Yes, it does. So many of these products are one-time-use, limited use, and/or are throw-aways. I know, the more artistic among us will labor over these would-be Rembrandts, but they are not worth that kind of effort.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Just like the music, which lingers in the air for oh so brief a moment.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I find it hard to believe that people who care so much about quality and artistry in Catholic liturgy think very little about the thing that contains the text and music to be prayed, and which the congregation will spend at least a good portion of the service looking at.
  • francis
    Yes... this is why the simulicrum is acceptable also: 'O, whatever gets the job done. Don't spend any more time or money or effort at it than is needed'. PHOEY. YOU PHONIES! Get your stuff together. You can't stand for quality in one area and not another. There is a term for that: hypocrisy.
  • Word, though I have been uncomfortable using it and frustrated with it, is just as capable of putting quality ink dots on paper as InDesign.

The difference is not as extreme as On Eagles and Chant.
    Thanked by 2Ryan Murphy lmassery
  • Actually, come to think of it after reading some other comments, I prefer Times New Roman precisely for the reason others don't. It takes less space per word or syllable. When visually scanning the page in reading either text or music, its the spacing between that's more important. A nicer font that takes even 10% more space will cause me to have fewer notes/syllables per line of music.
  • francis
    quality in all things.

ok, noel, you can probably do in word the same thing you can do in indesign to a certain point (if you are a graphic artist, designer and topographer), i will grant you that, but it is not worth the headache. it's akin to sewing needlepoint with a croquet mallet. why bother when you can use the right tool... a needle?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    simulicrum

?

Sounds like synthetic mothers' milk maybe.
  • francis
    sorry melo. spelled incorrectly.

Simulacrum
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A simulacrum (plural: simulacra from Latin: simulacrum, which means "likeness, similarity"), is a representation or imitation of a person or thing.[1] The word was first recorded in the English language in the late 16th century, used to describe a representation, such as a statue or a painting, especially of a god. By the late 19th century, it had gathered a secondary association of inferiority: an image without the substance or qualities of the original.[2] Philosopher Fredric Jameson offers photorealism as an example of artistic simulacrum, where a painting is sometimes created by copying a photograph that is itself a copy of the real.[3] Other art forms that play with simulacra include trompe-l'œil,[4] pop art, Italian neorealism, and French New Wave.[3]

In our realm, MJO coined the word for the digital 'organ'.
  • CharlesW
    The prissy and eternally fussy shall inherit the earth - they deserve it. LOL. Function determines form when it comes to handouts. If it is for a major event, more time and effort goes into it. If it is for one time use then thrown into the floor, not so much.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • francis
    baloney. there are many who know how to make a beautiful program for a liturgy. it is an art just like any other artistic endeavor in life. just because you don't have the time or resources doesn't make it an object of function only. that is exactly what happened to the Mass itself as it now has been reduced to function. baloney.

You shouldn't be spending too much time at choir rehearsal either, nor practicing the organ. I've heard all these lines from you functionaries.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • CharlesW
    Just because you CAN overdo things doesn't mean you should. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    Charles... when you bring God dinner, don't overdo it. MacDonalds is fine.
  • CharlesW
    God is perfectly capable of taking care of himself, a fact far too many forget. LOL.
  • Shall we split the thread from "ultimate hymnal" to "To fuss or not to fuss?"
  • francis
    sorry sergeant. i am done and if the admin wishes to split this off that's fine. i just can't stand for those who make excuses for mediocrity when it comes to the liturgy... if its for your house, then fine, but not for God's house.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Making a nice program is not being fussy or overdoing things. In fact, I find making a nice program is often much easier and faster than the gawdawful things i see at most parishes.

As fat as what software to use - I advocate InDesign because it is EASIER and FASTER to make a good program there than in other applications. IF your program looks great in MS WORD, that's fine.

Except, I think 9 times out of 10 it won't. Whenever I see a truly terrible looking program, and I ask, I find out it was made in Word. Also, I've used Word, Publisher, PowerPoint (yes), and InDesign, and back in the day I use to use WordPerfect and scotch tape. The thing is to take some care with it. It doesn't have to be an all-consuming endeavor, but it shouldn't look like garbage.

I know a graphic designer in Boston who picked what church she went to because of their design (print and web). Was she being fussy and pretentious? I don't think so. Musicians notice music. Architects notice architecture. Designers notice design. To her, the fact that their stuff was well done was a signal that they cared about what they were doing.
  • JonLaird
    Whether it's music or programs or whatever, we simply do the best we can in the time we have and with the resources available. But there is a hierarchy. If I have to choose how I spend my time, the music wins because it is an integral part of the liturgy while a paper program is not. If I really have to decide whether to spend time developing organ improvisation skills or developing graphic design skills, organ wins. Call it excuses if you will, Francis, but responsible decisions have to be made, and at some point I have to go home to my family.

I have picked up enough of a minimum in the way of desktop publishing to make a program that is consistent and is simple to follow (or so people tell me), and when possible, reasonably attractive. That's enough for me. I happen to use Pages (the old version) because it was the best thing on the Mac I I herited. If I had a PC I would probably be making do with Word. With my limited budget, I refuse to spend a dime on publishing software.

To Adam's story about the Boston graphic designer: there are plenty of churches that spend waaaay to much on graphic design with little substance underneath. I'm sure (at least I hope) this person's decision whether or not to stay in the church was based more on what she encountered in the following weeks when she started going.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW francis
  • CharlesW
    Graphics people are not looking at programs through the eyes of congregations. Times New Roman is easily readable. That is the most important function of a program. I have seen many programs with fussy fonts that were not easily read. They might have been pretty, but there was little reason for their existence if folks had difficulty reading them.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • melofluentmelofluent
    francis, with you and with myself, reactions to your/my polemics are fueled less by the content of what you champion, and more with the vehement (regarded as punitive) rhetoric you deploy. Shotgun expletives such as "you functionaries" without specifity within this forum are meant, by you, to condemn "some" of us. But you can get a pass because the impersonal pronoun doesn't self-condemn your own words and behavior. No one here of whom I'm aware, supports true mediocrity, and you know this.
    I get Adam's contentions. I get Jackson's certainty. I get your passion.
    But can we all please get some perspective before we explode this tempest outside our teapot?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I have seen many programs with fussy fonts that were not easily read

And no good graphic designer would use a hard to read fussy font. When I talk about taking care with a design, I am most assuredly not talking about using scribbly cursive novelty fonts or Ye Olde Englishe Printe Shoppe Fonte.

There's a reason good books look like good books, a reason dictionaries look like dictionaries, a reason news papers look like news papers. When you see a self-published book that was designed by an amateur, it looks and feels like a self-published book designed by an amateur -- EVEN IF you don't know why and can't put your finger on it, you notice it.

But really, Id be fine if more place WOULD just use Times New Roman, pick a few sizes, and be consistent. It's not the best font, but it is OK.

I visit a lot of churches, and you wouldn't believe the amount of bad design I see in programs. Not "I'm being so fussy, i wish they used a different font" - i mean straight up terrifying design, hard to follow layouts, bizzare placement of things, blurry and oddly colored scans of music, weirdly typset music where the notes don't line up with the words, FiV3 d1Ff3r3n+ f0Nt$, watermarked stock photography. AND DONT EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE INSANE WEBSITES I SEE
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Also, this:

Graphics people are not looking at programs through the eyes of congregations.

I object to this, on the grounds that congregations include graphics people, along with all other sorts of people.

My wife was recently at a liturgy where the programs were folded not-square. She mumbled something and fixed it. Someone else said, "Don't worry, no one will notice."

My wife noticed. Is she "no one"?

I would have noticed. Am I "no one"?

You know what I wouldn't notice? Whether the organ was voiced correctly. I have no idea what this means or why it matters. So, you know - you probably shouldn't do it. No one would notice. And it costs too much, there's other things to spend money and time on.

Also, correct registration of French organ literature. I would never notice this. I'm pretty sure no one else would either.

Or parallel fifths in your SATB harmonizations. I'd probably notice if I was asked to look for them. But I'd never notice by ear. And I think most people don't even know what that is.

And no one really notices when you mispronounce names in the Bible. Well, I notice. Sometimes. But I'm no one.

That stack of dusty hymnals in the corner of your loft? The crumpled up trash in the pew hymnal racks? The fishing line that once held a banner but now is just sort of sitting there dangling on the wall for no apparent reason? The ever-so-slight feedback in the sound system? The buzz when you dim the lights? The crooked candle on the left side of the altar? The one patch of paint that doesn't match the rest? The red plastic lighter left sitting next to the Advent wreath all through Mass?

No one notices any of this stuff. Best not to spend time on it.
  • francis
    No tempest, melo. Just a little ire over wanting everyone to step up to the plate and do their best in every way that serves best our most Holy God, and the august liturgy that He has established. That's all. Graphics is the least of my worries, but the underlying principle is where the cancer grows. Dumb it down.

Yea, I am sick and tired of the functionaries who devalue the church architecture, the art, the music and the rest. Don't take it personally. The YOU applies to the functionaries out there, not YOU in particular. It's just a rant. Jesus got a little ticked and got out a whip when the people turned his temple toward their own interests and designs. I have never done THAT yet and probably never will, but who knows? I HAVE chased opera singers and their Wagnerian concerts away from the sanctuary.
    Thanked by 2melofluent Gavin
  • canadashcanadash
    You know, as someone totally inept at programs, yet using them more and more, I would find a session at the Colloquium on this subject to be very useful. I just use what I've randomly learned. Knowing more would certainly save me time and I would love to put out a professional looking program.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    If anyone wants to pay my tuition and help fund my attendance, I would be happy to do an EXTENSIVE SESSION on creating nice programs.
  • Kathy
    Moi aussi, except LITURGICAL DANCE.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • GavinGavin
    Adam is sounding like a creepily over-obsessed weirdo. He's also exactly right.

I don't share his loathing of Word, BUT when I've used Word, I've left my productions precisely within its realm of capabilities. Pretty much just a list, with some formatting.

I'd be happy if basic principles of design and style were followed. To my eye, the worst things to see are inconsistent font sizes. They pop out at me and assault me.

The question to me in proofing a bulletin (part of my job at my church) is, does this clearly and easily communicate information to the congregant? Will they understand the liturgy from this? Or, as our director of communications asks, do they know what to do?

We're talking about effective delivery of information here. That's important.
  • francis
    Just off the cuff:

A music program should be transparent. In other words, it should become "invisible" in its own right and focus all attention on the act of worship. Use one font, keep it readable, stay away from graphics (clip art, etc), and keep it very clean and enough white space so it's not crowded. Use an off white paper stock, or something with a subtle texture. Don't use white office copy paper. There is nothing wrong with Times. It is a classic font. But look at garamond, or even weiss.

Fold the paper on the long. Everyone does it on the short. The long is easier to read and is a bit more classy.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Fold the paper on the long. Everyone does it on the short. The long is easier to read and is a bit more classy.

You had me right up to here. And then you lost me. I would never, ever, ever, do this.

De gustibus, and all.

99% of good design is caring about the people you are designing for. We can disagree on favorite fonts or color paper or whatever. But people who think that it doesn't matter are being disrespectful to their congregants.

Printed programs are a first-line for hospitality. They are often the very first indication someone gets about your theology of worship and your approach to liturgical programming. They get taken home and seen later, even if not on purpose.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • francis
    Will go to a new thread.
  • Thought of a nother idea of one :
    A boy is born in we three kings. Ha ha !

Ph
    (That belongs on another thread, doesn't it? --admin)
  • Kathy
    This is what Liturgical Dance can do for YOU.

• bhcordovabhcordova
    Programs? Get a Hymnal Board, put the song numbers, in order on it. End of problem
  • Kathy
    Here's a routine reminder: Stay on topic.

Sometimes I think the moderator inserts these reminders judiciously rather than randomly.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Programs? Get a Hymnal Board, put the song numbers, in order on it. End of problem

This works really well if everything you need to sing is in the hymnal(s) you have in your pews. I haven't yet been in a parish where this was the case.
  • Folded short folds one more time to go in an envelope when you get home to mail to friends when the Catholic music isn't as Catholic as it could Catholic be.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Oy vai!!!! Is sarcasm a lost art?
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Isn't there a bit of a learning curve to using InDesign? My husband has it on his computer (he's writing a book) and loves it for that... I don't have the software on my computer and have wondered if it was worth purchasing for my use...

I've used publisher (drives me nuts with some of its quirks) and word (when publisher drove me over the edge).
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I find InDesign to be much easier to use than either Publisher or Word. Everything has a learning curve. But InDesign works in a way that makes sense (at least to me) rather than Publisher and especially Word, which just goes off and does a bunch of stuff I never told it to do.
    Thanked by 2francis Ben
  • Carl DCarl D
    But then, Adam, you sit sideways. So there's no accounting for taste. :-)
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • francis
    [apodictic statement] InDesign is intuitive and straightforward. It lets you put things exactly where you want them without fighting the interface at all. Period. [/apodictic statement]
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Kathy
    InDesign always seems to need one extra mouseclick than publisher. Need a text box? Click the textbox drawing lasso magnetic toolbox menu tool.

Ain't nobody got time for that.