Latin And All That Goes With It
  • CharlesW
    It's St. Wikipedia. The beloved holy one goes on to say:

The minor Rogation Days were introduced around AD 470 by Mamertus, bishop of Vienne, and eventually adopted elsewhere. Their observance was ordered by the Council of Orleans in 511, and though the practice was spreading in Gaul during the 7th century, it wasn't officially adopted into the Roman rite until the reign of Pope Leo III.[5]

The faithful typically observed the Rogation days by fasting and abstinence in preparation to celebrate the Ascension, and farmers often had their crops blessed by a priest at this time.[6] Violet vestments are worn at the rogation litany and its associated Mass, regardless of what colour was worn at the ordinary liturgies of the day.[2]

A common feature of Rogation days in former times was the ceremony of beating the bounds, in which a procession of parishioners, led by the minister, churchwarden, and choirboys, would proceed around the boundary of their parish and pray for its protection in the forthcoming year. This was also known as 'Gang-day', after the old British name for going or walking.[7] This was also a feature of the original Roman festival, when revellers would walk to a grove five miles from the city to perform their rites.[4]

I actually have very high regard for St. Joseph the Worker. Definitely more for him than for a pagan custom later adopted by Christianity.
  • G
    Are surrounded by a cadre of lace-laden grim reapers in your nightmares or something?
    Any Whovians, (if that's the preferred moniker,) have one of those weeping angel shawls? My knitting sister can be pretty frightening in hers...
    Sorry for the OT

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • francis
    God, please bless these hybrid tomatoes since the natural ones you sent us just don't cut it. Thank you.
  • dad29
    By your logic (it seems) the Pope should not use a computer or a cell phone

That's a ridiculous assertion. In addition, you have category-confusion of the first water.
  • GavinGavin

The notion that women should have to cover their heads in church today is ridiculous.

I agree with this, especially in the case of those tiny doilies that women used to put on their heads. They didn't even cover their hair!

But. This is what confuses me: With the rule change being what it is, the same rule that was eliminated to allow women to enter church with their hair uncovered also forbade men from wearing a hat in church. Logically, a man is now allowed to wear a hat in church.

So for those of us who reject the principle of head-covering for women, are you ok with a man wearing a hat in church? And why not?

I have personally instructed men to remove their hats in church, but yet I don't have a problem with women being uncovered. And that seems kind of inconsistent to me.
  • Gavin,

Certain men should wear a black head-covering, but the rest of us shouldn't be required to do so.

On the subject of laws: the point wasn't that a woman wear a mantilla for Mass, but any time she entered the Church building -- because she was in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament.

• PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    I don't really have a problem with it on religious or theological grounds. But our American culture and customs dictate that it is polite for a man to remove his hat when indoors. So I think that I would compare that gesture more to shaking hands and other cultural affects.
  • CharlesW
    There were many such rules in the old days and some still kind of survive. I have seen baseball hats in church on teenagers. I wonder how many of these rules go back to the divisions between nobility and commoners. The nobility had many privileges not extended to others. I also remember priests not being able to enter the sanctuary unless they were wearing cassocks. There must have been a rule somewhere, because I remember our priest having to put one on each time he entered the church. Maybe it was not a sanctuary only rule.

In eastern churches laity are forbidden to enter the sanctuary - servers excepted, of course, and they are all males. During her lifetime and when in this country, the Empresss Zita of Austria sat in the sanctuary of an eastern church. It was a privilege belonging to her house. I remember that laity had to get the priest's permission to enter the sanctuary in Latin churches, as well.

Ah, the good old days. LOL.

• Liam
    Trivial tangent: Holy Roman emperors were ordained as subdeacons, IIRC. Don't know if that custom was retained for the Austrian emperors after the Napoleonic era (even before that, I can imagine Joseph II not having bothered, for one thing...).

• CharlesW
    Even Franz Joseph retained the right to veto the right of the papacy to someone selected by the cardinals. I understand he did exactly that in one case.
  • G
    Holy Roman emperors were ordained as subdeacons, IIRC. Don't know if that custom was retained for the Austrian emperors after the Napoleonic era (even before that, I can imagine Joseph II not having bothered, for one thing...).
    Was that to allow them in the sanctuary?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • donr
    I am aloud to do some Latin at Mass (not the Ordinary though), and I am not allowed to make hand outs.
    So whenever I introduce a new piece of music or the proper Marian antiphon of the season. I go to the ambo prior to the start of Mass and tell everyone what it is that we are going sing, what it means and possibly sing it for them ahead of time.

I think this helps their understanding and makes them appreciate the Latin more.

I have not had anyone tell me they don't appreciate it but many who come to me and thank me.

A little teaching goes a long way.
  • Liam
    Not necessarily so, as higher sovereigns were allowed in sanctuaries elsewhere for administration of sacramentals of anointing and crowning (for example, at Reims, the French royal regalia were placed on the altar for the anointing and crowning to occur near it - not above the altar steps but I think it would be within the sanctuary nonetheless). Which reminds me that there were no Holy Roman Emperors after Charles V - the rest of them were merely Kings of the Romans and Emperors-elect, and were never properly crowned, so I don't think the subdiaconate was conferred on them either, because that was part of the coronation ritual, IIRC.
  • WICatholic
    I apologize that I am late to the posting, but I feel this pertains to my experience in the Catholic church. I do not play music in our church, but feel that music and liturgy is such an important part of the Mass that changes the perception and feeling of the entire thing. I tried posting about this on the Catholic.org message board, but at least half the people on there slammed me for my opinions, but I feel like I can post this hear with some like minded people. I will preface what I am saying with my age, as I feel it should be known that people who are my age (I am a 25 year old male) enjoy this type of mass.

I am very fortunate to be part of a church that is very traditional in its ways and understands that when Mass is celebrated the way the church has set up and intends, it truly is a powerful experience. I have sent emails to both our Director of Music/Liturgy and our Priest, and both have the same ideals and want the same thing for the church... what a breath of fresh air! Our DOM just started a year ago, a little after I became a member of the church. Since she has started, she has introduced more Latin to the mass, as well as beautiful instruments to accompany the organ such as the cello and viola. The experience is unlike any other. Since Lent, we have now been saying the Lamb of God as Agnus Dei in Latin 100%. She has also added in at least one Latin song per Mass. It is amazing how much more powerful the Mass is with this.

On our Easter Vigil, they had two Cantors, male and female, then two choirs (male who sounded like a Gregorian Chant and female), one of the songs had just bells being played... a few had piano and viola/cello, some organ with cello... all solemn, and all absolutely breathtaking.

I guess I am very passionate about the history of the church and what it can bring. I have always been brought up and have thought that Mass was supposed to be a one on one connection with God, supposed to be solemn and prayerful. Yet, it seems like more than half of the churches in my state that I live in the USA are playing secular music, with guitars, tambourines, and the like, and this absolutely interrupts my connection with God. It makes me sad, irritated, all sorts of things I shouldn't feel in Mass. I wish it didn't.. but it does.

To sum it up though, I really am blessed and fortunate to be at a church like mine.... even though it was really hard to find a church like that. I have discussed with my wife about taking her to an EF Mass someday... though she is unsure because she (nor I) know Latin. I told her that we would still understand the order of the Mass and the general things to do with it, even if it is in Latin. I just think it is the most beautiful thing...
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    People don't realize how quickly they can pick up on the Latin and what's going on at Mass. It's very easy. Especially in these days with the internet and everything, you can access anything you'd need beforehand including translations, and you can also teach yourself all of the basic responses in Latin before you ever set foot in an EF Mass. There is so much information out there and it is readily available.
  • kenstb
    WICatholic, in the event that you wish to take your wife to an EF mass, it might be good for you to view a few of the masses which are available online. There may even be some voice overs to explain what is happening. In that way, the two of you can preview what you will experience and have some idea of what is going on when you do attend.
  • Bob_Nardo
    Given the strong principled arguments for Latin in the liturgy (universality and historicity), this seems sadly to be another issue on the list of things that could be addressed by better teaching our people what they need to know, overcoming an understandable but basically ethnocentric and conventional preference for our language only. (I'm a charter school administrator, and our inner-city students will know Latin even if some parochial school kids don't!)

I'm both saddened by some of the broad generalizations I've seen here that seem to marginalize EF folks, at the same time as I'm aware that some of them are of course anecdotally true. Then again, we also see plenty of generalizations about OF PIP's...

For a vision of how a vibrant, traditional liturgical life can truly bring the timeless beauties of the church into engagement with the modern world -- really transcending this debate, I think -- I would encourage anyone who doesn't know about them to visit to one of the numerous American (or international) apostolates of the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest. They truly embrace the motto, from St. Paul: "Veritatem Facientes in Caritate" -- live the truth in charity.

On the one hand, this is not the kind of place where you might be refused communion because you had hair dyed blue, which is what happened to a friend of mine at a certain Latin Mass church that I won't mention. On the other hand, this is a place where devoted adherence to liturgical beauty is a fundamental focus.

http://www.institute-christ-king.org/
    Thanked by 1WICatholic
  • kenstb
    Interesting post. Also a nice plug for your institute. However, we have to meet our colleagues where they are as opposed to where they might be. The hope is that we help each other by our observations and experience. In that regard, B Nardo, please let us know where these institutes might be found. There may be members of this site who would be interested in checking them out.
  • WICatholic
    Bob Nardo, Interestingly enough... St. Stanislaus is one of those churches in the Institute of Christ The King, in our Archdiocese that I belong to (Archdiocese of Milwaukee). This is the one and only church that I could find nearby that still has all Latin Mass on Sunday. I may indeed have to check that out, for sure now that you mention it. It isn't in the perfect area of Milwaukee, but it is right off the freeway and isn't too far from me, so I am not too concerned.

To everyone else above... thank you for your input. I will definitely watch it online/research it with my wife to get familiar, but I think it will be something that I may like to check out.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    WICatholic ... things are sadly in a poor state of affairs here in Western WI where I live, although a few oases of better liturgical music do exist within about 30 miles.
  • WICatholic
    CHGiffen... It is weird over here in Milwaukee as well, and the Diocese I came from (Green Bay) prior to that. I was part of the Diocese of LaCrosse growing up, and went to a Catholic school in Central WI (Between Wausau and Stevens Point). Very traditional, with a Polish Priest. In the Green Bay diocese, it is very much similar to over here... where there is more of the contemporary type of Masses verses traditional. There was a time after we had moved to the Appleton area that my parents actually walked out of Mass when they started hearing the clapping and guitar, and swiftly went to the next one they could get to. We ended up at a church out in the middle of nowhere that was about a half hour out to get what we were looking for.

I am so very fortunate to have a parish 5 min away from my house that has 4,000 members, is very active, and very traditional (and has even become moreso since we have gotten a new Priest in 2012, as well as Dir of Music... which both believe in how sacred and special a Catholic mass can be).
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen francis
  • Bob_Nardo
    The Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest (ICKSP in the US) is technically a "Society of Apostolic Life of Pontifical Right." In a structural sense, they are somewhat like the Priestly Fraternity of St Peter -- mission-focused, communal life, with the same kinds of promises made by diocesan priests, though not formal vows as in many holy orders. They were started by French and German missionaries in Africa, have 50 apostolates in 12 countries, a thriving seminary in Italy, and now some Sisters as well. In the US, they are in St Louis and Kansas City, several places in Wisconsin and Illinois, Arizona, Oakland and San Jose CA, and northern New Jersey / just outside of NYC. I got to know them during the 5 1/2 years that my wife and I attended their apostolates in Chicago and New Jersey, which is where I learned Gregorian chant as part of a Schola. (I should note that I did not grow up in "indult" TLM Masses - I was raised on Haugen, Dufford, et al.) Much more information is available on their wonderful website: http://www.institute-christ-king.org

To the point made by WICatholic, one of the ways they've grown in the US is by effectively taking over parishes that dioceses have needed help with -- in many cases (such as Milwaukee, Chicago, and St Louis), once-thriving but now shrunken or crumbling parishes in old urban core areas, or (in the case of New Jersey) once schismatic traditional Latin Mass parishes that they bring back into communion with the church.

The main point I'm trying to make about the Institute -- what I think is so unique about what they offer the contemporary church -- is how they simultaneously have a very reverent and traditional liturgy and aesthetic (they celebrate and follow the traditional Latin Rite 1962 Missal, and are devoted to Sts Benedict and Thomas), and combine it with a profoundly charitable approach (rooted in the spirituality of St. Francis de Sales, also looking to St Therese, and with consecration to the Immaculate Conception).

In other words, they offer the liturgical and theological correction abundantly needed by much of the contemporary church, but with the kind of "spirit" (if I can use that fraught term) that is certainly needed and perhaps intended in the Vatican II era -- one that offers the traditional, timeless, beautiful, inviting gift of God, not as the kind of self-righteous, exclusive, obscurantism that *some* people *seem to think* is the case about the traditional movement (and would *seem* to be confirmed at times such as in my story about the friend refused communion because of dyed blue hair).

The Institute's spiritual and liturgical influence on me over several years in the Extraordinary Form with them is why I feel confident about both the bold, traditional vision and winning-flies-with-honey / prudent approach as I now work (well, volunteer) in music direction in an Ordinary Form setting.

Of course this promising kind of synthesis is certainly evident in countless other places -- I'm thinking of St John Cantius in Chicago, or David Hughes' church in Connecticut, for just two examples.
    Thanked by 2WICatholic kenstb
  • GavinGavin
    If I were the music director at WICatholic's church, I would want him to join the choir.
    Thanked by 1WICatholic
  • francis
    However, we have to meet our colleagues where they are as opposed to where they might be.

Bob_Nardo

Don't let this throw you. We all lived in that scenario for many years, even decades. It is indeed disintegrating in front of our very eyes. The problem so often found in the philosophy of 'meeting them where they are' is that many never 'take them where they need to be'.

What you and many of us do now, is the 'draw bees to honey' approach. I have found it works very well, and once the honey is in the nest, (parish) so to speak, the bees who find it set up a permanent nest for more of it, and they are adamant about never living without honey ever again.
  • kenstb
    Francis, It seems that I must disagree with you again. I said we must meet people where they are. I did not suggest that we leave them there. There is a difference.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Kenstb,

Indeed there is a difference, but far too often the consequence of "meeting" people at a place is that objects in motion tend to stay in motion, and those at rest tend to stay at rest.

• francis
    kenstb

I am not disagreeing with you. I just don't want to leave anyone thinkin' they don't have to do nothin' but just keep truckin' along their way not lookin' back. Cause, I spent many years meeting people where they were at, and not enough time showin' 'em that they passed up the place where they should have arrived. I am not good at lawyer speak, but I sure can tell the truth.
  • CharlesW
    There is meeting people where they are which I have found to be an excellent place to begin. There is also knowing where you are going with it in terms of your music program. For example, I have been working to improve the quality of sacred music at my parish for a number of years. Most on this forum could say the same thing. Where am I headed with this? A reverent and sacred OF mass is my goal. The EF is not my ideal or my goal so I am not headed there - and that's the truth!
  • kenstb
    Lawyer speak?? Really? That's wasn't fair. I just think folks go to things that interest them. We meet them where we meet them. Folks have to be open to new things before we can influence them.
  • CharlesW,

Does your goal (a reverent and sacred OF mass) mean that you believe that this is not (as is claimed all over everywhere, by defenders of the status quo) an oxymoron.
  • CharlesW
    I think an OF mass can be as reverent and sacred as you make it. It can be trashy or it can be inspiring. It's all what you put into it. If I worked for an EF parish, then making that mass the best possible would be my goal. I work for an OF parish where an EF mass is offered for the 50 or so people who want it. The other 1500 don't. We have the OF mass, so let's make the most of it we can. It is, after all, the ordinary rite of the Latin church - despite whining and groans of despair in the wings that this should be otherwise.
    Thanked by 1WICatholic
    CharlesW,

Does your goal (a reverent and sacred OF mass) mean that you believe that this is not (as is claimed all over everywhere, by defenders of the status quo) an oxymoron.

So do you believe that there is nothing sacred or reverent about an OF mass?
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    So do you believe that there is nothing sacred or reverent about an OF mass?

You seem to be trying to read into this something that is not there.
    I'm not sure how you think that.

The question is quite clear: Does your goal mean that you believe that this is not an oxymoron? This was in reference to the stated goal of a "reverent and sacred OF mass." So the poster then said "Does this mean that you don't think that's an oxymoron?"

I issued the same question BACK to the poster: "So, wait, do you think that this IS an oxymoron?"

The implication is QUITE clear to me, and nothing needs to be "read into."
  • PaixGioiaAmor,

While I see how you managed to derive from what I wrote the conclusion you saw there, I intentionally inserted the
    as is claimed all over everywhere, by defenders of the status quo
    . One particular group of defenders say that what the like, and see as a necessary correction of the EF, is less formality, less clericalism, less "priest-with-his-back-to-the-people"......

As to my opinion on the topic, I assist so infrequently at an OF that I have trouble offering an opinion based on up-to-date information, so I'll answer in a different vein: the purpose of the reform was to reduce "accretions", in the name of "purity", to create a more "intimate" atmosphere, if you will, and so it is BY ITS INTENTION and ITS NATURE less reverent than an EF, when celebrated according to its rubrics.

To quote Archbishop Ranjith, the Ordo of 1969 "can be celebrated with reverence".
    One particular group of defenders say that what the like, and see as a necessary correction of the EF, is less formality, less clericalism, less "priest-with-his-back-to-the-people"......

As to my opinion on the topic, I assist so infrequently at an OF that I have trouble offering an opinion based on up-to-date information, so I'll answer in a different vein: the purpose of the reform was to reduce "accretions", in the name of "purity", to create a more "intimate" atmosphere, if you will, and so it is BY ITS INTENTION and ITS NATURE less reverent than an EF, when celebrated according to its rubrics.

To quote Archbishop Ranjith, the Ordo of 1969 "can be celebrated with reverence".

Formality, clericalism, and "priest-with-his-back-to-the-people," do NOT equal "reverence," or a sense of the sacred.

Personally, I prefer formality in worship for many reasons and I don't see "clericalism" in the EF mass to begin with - but none the less, you seem to be making a big jump in the logic of those who say that they want less of those things. I don't think that they are saying that they want less REVERENCE or sense of sacred.

Secondly, you just said that in your view, the OF is "BY ITS INTENTION and ITS NATURE less reverent than an EF, when celebrated according to its rubrics." So it seems that you DO in fact equate the OF with a lack of reverence.

Depending on where you're from and how old you are I can't blame you, and I can see how you may have arrived at that conclusion over the course of years.

But I do still think that your conclusion is wrong. There are places everywhere celebrating the OF with reverence. And I think the contention is deeply wrong that the OF was DESIGNED to have less reverence. I think it was supposed to have more RELEVANCE and an EQUAL amount of REVERENCE.

Some good but misguided people inserted their own agendas over the years into the mass and made it go off the rails. But let's blame their interpretations and not the initial idea!

I think the mass was SUPPOSED to be what you frequently see from St. Peter's Basilica, not at your local suburban church.

And that is what so many of us are working so hard to change.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Spriggo
  • Bob_Nardo
    What a stimulating forum! My wife and I have had discussed some of these posts at length. Thank you all for your thoughtfulness.

I have dwelt a bit on CH Giffen's (?) point that he is interested in reverence but does not see the EF as a standard. At first I was inclined to argue that one needs to see EF done really well to understand why it should be. After all, the fact that 50 of your people think they want the EF and 1,500 of your people think they do not means very little; we are a stiff-necked people, who really do not seem to know what is good for us, do we?

But then I realized I was slipping into taking sides in the wrong debate, rather than focusing on what I take to be the real question: What is right worship? What does it mean to reverently approach the Lord? What does it mean for the Lord to be "accessible" to our "full and active participation," and how might that look different than, say, a democratic town meeting?

My thinking about this has really been shaped by dwelling on the liturgical roots found in the Hebrew Bible, as interpreted in the light of Christ by Ratzinger's Spirit of the Liturgy. Perhaps some of you saw Archbishop Sample's article, discussing this same topic, in the most recent Musica Sacra journal? (Or were even at his speech.)

Our liturgy really is the re-presentation of the sacrifice on Calvary, and the celebration of the heavenly Jerusalem. Yes, Moses was only allowed to have God pass over his back, whereas God condescended in Christ to allow us to eat His very flesh and drink His blood. And yet, doesn't it seem truly right and just that, when we approach the divine feast of the kingdom of heaven, we should set aside our usual clothes and speech and manners, and adorn ourselves in "festive garments" (Matthew 22), broadly construed? How do we do that as Catholics and be saved from what Chesterton warned against -- "the degrading slavery of being a child of our own age"?

I mean this genuinely as a question for an evidently brilliant group of reverent liturgical musicians -- suspending the binary question of EF vs OF, since it is even more evident that both can be and have been done with greater or lesser degrees of rightness.
  • CharlesW
    I think you have attributed to Charles Giffen some remarks I made. Please don't blame him for anything I said. He's a good guy and doesn't deserve that. LOL.

The 50 vs. 1500 is not a popularity contest. In many places, it seems to me that some have fled the OF and gone to the EF because the OF is celebrated badly. In my parish, the 4 Sunday morning OF masses are celebrated by the book with good music. There is nothing objectionable to run away from, and hence no real reason to flee to the EF. The 50-60 who are attend the EF every Sunday are there because of their love for the EF.
    Thanked by 1kenstb
    The 50 vs. 1500 is not a popularity contest. In many places, it seems to me that some have fled the OF and gone to the EF because the OF is celebrated badly. In my parish, the 4 Sunday morning OF masses are celebrated by the book with good music. There is nothing objectionable to run away from, and hence no real reason to flee to the EF. The 50-60 who are attend the EF every Sunday are there because of their love for the EF.

Yes. We have a number of people who attend our OF choral mass (with chanted propers and motets) who used to go only to EF masses. Some say they actually PREFER the mass in English, but they previously felt that their choices were either going to an English mass with songs that sounded like TV commercial ditties or going to the Latin mass. Now that they've found something done much better than that, they are happy to go to an OF mass.
  • kenstb
    Gentlemen, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I don't think that a preference for one form over the other is our central issue. The real goal and desire of any liturgical musician is to participate in a mass that is celebrated with all of the reverence due to our Lord. I don't think that any of us who has a preference of form wishes to impose that form on everyone regardless of whether or not it is done well.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • Padster
    The comments about pagan origins are interesting. When Christianity came to Britain it retained some elements of the pagan religion to avoid alienating the natives and help them assimilate into the new one. Thus we have Christmas set at its current date of Dec 25th for example. What is even more interesting is the custom/legend of the slain king throughout history. This involves a people sacrificing its own king in his prime for the health of the kingdom and it usually involved a tree because it was deemed to be a bridge between heaven and earth. Curiously, it links the likes of Odin with St Edmund.

Best wishes,
    Padster
  • francis
    I do not take sides on EF vrs. OF, but our ROOTS are in the EF and it is the native form of RC worship. The OF is a fabrication.
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • PGA,

How, seriously, can a "permanent workshop", as either Cardinal Ratzinger or Fr. Gelineau called the revised ordo, possibly be designed for reverence?

I am a young-ish father of 5 boys, and a convert to the faith. When Mass is about the people, and their participation is to be considered above all else, when attitudes of the movers and shakers can give rise to "what are we doing wrong, that people still want benediction", or the term "worship space" displaces "church", what else should one conclude but that reverence is of little or no concern to the designers or executors of the newer ordo?

• CharlesW
    The OF is no more a fabrication than the EF. The EF, as it has been transmitted to us, came from the Council of Trent and the Pope of that time. There was a Pope in office who promulgated the OF - Paul VI, whether you particularly like him or not. The EF is no more native than the OF, it is just older. It significantly departed from the masses known to most of Europe at the time of Trent. The Orthodox, btw, rejoice that they don't have popes who can mess around with the liturgy. They may have a point. If you glorify the papacy and give it that kind of power, why would you be surprised that those who hold the office use those powers for good or ill?
  • CharlesW
    cgz, I am happy that you love your new faith and want the best from it. By now, you also realize that people are no more perfect in your new faith than in the one you left behind, whatever it may have been. Enthusiasm is a very good thing, but classic convert disease is not. Convert disease is entering a new faith and deciding it doesn't measure up to your standards and it needs to be purified. That is a dangerous attitude to have. Keep the enthusiasm, because it is a gift from God and you can do great good with it.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Controversy Warning:

The legitimate diversity present between the Rites of the East and West and their various local Usages is not the same as the liturgical 'reform' of Paul VI. (c.f. Adrian Fortesque (The Mass: A Study of the Roman Rite), and Alcuin Reed (The Organ Development of the Liturgy), and any other treatise on the history of the Pio-Johannine Missal and its development.)

The Missal of Paul VI (which is completely valid and licit) is a hodge-podge, cut-and-paste job, by a committee of people who couldn't agree on what to keep, what to scrap and what to add.

The so-called Tridentine Missal is a codification (with slight modifications and trimmings) of the Missal of the Roman Curia that had been in use for centuries (at least) prior to the Council of Trent; the Novus Ordo is a completely new use, retaining very little of what came before 1969 - thus what makes it Novus.

I won't get into the mangling of the Divine Office, and the watering down of the other sacramental rites here. (Baptism suffered greatly)
    Thanked by 1dad29
  • CharlesW
    Salieri, when I read Eucharistic Prayer I, differences that are all that great don't leap out at me. Granted, I never saw the need for so many versions of the Eucharistic Prayer, but that was never my decision as to what to include.

There was a bit of mangling in the Tridentine Rite, too. What did happen to all those sequences? Was the pre-Tridentine rite in France, Germany, Spain and England that close to the rite used in Rome? I think those modifications were more than "slight."

I think Fortesque may have been about as biased as an MSNBC commentator. LOL.

I may very well agree with you that the NO missal could and should have been done better. It wasn't, but it is the missal we have and has been promulgated by lawful, if not always competent, authority. I don't have the authority to overturn or replace it, and neither does anyone else on this forum.
  • WICatholic
    Hi All,

I haven't been on here for the last couple days, but the reads since I last posted have been wonderful. I have been trying to post in response to someone asking if "drums are OK in Mass or not", and I ended up in an argument with people on the Catholic.com message board who were saying contemporary instruments are fine depending on how they are used. All I can say is that my head is spinning, as I couldn't even defend what I believed... I am not going back there again, that is for sure. I felt like I was arguing with people over politics, not talking with fellow Catholics.

I know what I see, and our church has a lot of regulars that go that are young married couples with babies, and young adults in general. There are a lot who long for a solemn, reverent type of Mass.

I really appreciate seeing people on here talking about the way (In my opinion) the Mass should be carried out, in both OF and EF. Our church is OF, but they have been slowly transitioning to a hybrid almost, especially with how we are now hearing latin more often.

Gavin... I have been looking at options to get involved with our Parish. I am contemplating the choir, as well as some other things. It is amazing how much I actually WANT to help them out in any way I can, just because of a simple thing of reverence and respect to God through how they carry out Mass. It really shown at the Easter Vigil, as I have never felt so wonderful before at a church.

• SalieriSalieri
    I'm not talking about the Sarum Use, the Mozarabic Use, the Ambrosian Rite, or the Cistercian Rite: I'm talking about the Use of the Roman Curia (the Missale Romnum).

The sequences, being a late addition, could have been kept, excepting that by the time of Trent they had proliferated beyond number, such that almost every feast had it's own sequence, and many were of rather poor musical and poetical quality - much like devotional hymns of all types can be - and rather than cluttering up nearly every Mass with a sequence (some more than 20 stanzas) it was decided that only five be kept - those five were deemed to be the best musically and poetically: Victimae Paschali (Easter), Veni Sancte Spiritus (Pentecost), Lauda Sion (Corpus Christi), Stabat Mater (two feasts of Our Lady of Sorrows), and Dies Irae (Requiems). Note that two major feasts of Our Lord lost their sequences (Christmas and Epiphany), as did many other feasts; and that none of the sequences by their inventor (I forget his name, now) survived.

Also, Eucharistic Prayer I (Roman Canon) was originally to be cast aside, Paul VI forced Bugnini to put it back after cardinatial outcry. And what about the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar (including Psalm 42 and its antiphon, and the double Confiteor) and the Offertory Rite? The Tridentine Offertory doesn't even say the same thing as the Novus Ordo Preparation of the Gifts; the former a preparation of the elements for a propitiatory sacrifice offered by the priest, the latter is Jewish grace before meals.

Compare:
    Accept, O Holy father, Almighty and Eternal God, this spotless host, which I, Your unworthy servant, offer to You, my living and true God, to atone for my numberless sins, offences, and negligences; on behalf of all here present and likewise for all faithful Christians living and dead, that it may profit me and them as a means of salvation to life everlasting. Amen. (Missale Romanum 1962)

with:
    Blessed are you, Lord God of all creation, for through your goodness we have received the bread we offer you: fruit of the earth and work of human hands, it will become for us the bread of life. [Blessed be God for ever.] (Missale Romanum 2002/Roman Missal, Third Edition, ICEL, 2010)

They aren't the same. And the blessing and offering of the Chalice is even more pathetic.

We have replaced "I will go to the altar of God" with "Good morning and welcome to our Eucharistic celebration and we celebrate on the beautiful spring morning..."
    Thanked by 1Bob_Nardo