Sanctus sung by the schola alternating with the congregation
  • alex
    I know two ways of singing the Sanctus:

# 1
    Choir or solist: Sanctus,
    Congregation: Sanctus, Sanctus Dominus Deus Sabaoth, Pleni sunt cæli et terra gloria tua. Hosanna in excelsis.
    Choir: Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini.
    Congregation: Hosanna in excelsis.

# 2
    Choir or solist: Sanctus,
    Congregation: Sanctus, Sanctus Dominus Deus Sabaoth.
    Choir: Pleni sunt cæli et terra glória tua.
    Congregation: Hosanna in excélsis.
    Choir: Benedictus qui venit in nomine Domini.
    Congregation: Hosanna in excelsis.

Which method do you favor? Why?
    Thanks for your advice!
  • MarkThompson
    The difference seems pretty minuscule. That said, # 2 makes slightly more conceptual sense, but really my vote would go for # 3: if you've got a congregation that can sing Gregorian, and you're not doing something like interpolating polyphonic choir parts into it, then just have the congregation sing the whole thing.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    my vote would go for # 3

There are three types of mathematicians: those that can count and those that cannot count.

I'd go for option # 3, too.
  • GavinGavin
    I didn't know there was an option besides having the congregation sing all of it.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood CHGiffen
  • I have noticed that in masses at the Vatican the custom seems to be to sing the parts of the plainchant ordinary in alternation between schola and congregation (with the organ lumbering in when the congregation are supposed to sing). This is not particularly attractive, and I've not witnessed this over here; but that doesn't mean it isn't done. My preference for chant masses would be: cantor-sanctus, schola and people-sanctus... excelsis; cantor-benedictus, schola and people-hosanna...excelsis. This is, I believe, ancient custom (though I stand to be corrected); and, it seems to be in concord with your first option.
  • alex
    This practice is something common here. I live in France and I have seen recently option # 1 in a EF mass celebrated by a priest from the FSSP (so it is likely not to be completely untraditional) and option # 2 in a OF gregorian mass. Reading your comments (“I didn't know there was an option besides having the congregation sing all of it”, “I've not witnessed this over here”), I realize this is not common in the United States.

I have noticed that in masses at the Vatican the custom seems to be to sing the parts of the plainchant ordinary in alternation between schola and congregation (with the organ lumbering in when the congregation are supposed to sing).

What M.J. Osborn describes, with the organ lumbering, is exactly what I am used to in gregorian masses*, here on the other side of the Atlantic. But there is not always a consensus about who is singing what. That was the point of my question.

* I never heard an alternation between choir and congregation for a Sanctus in a non-gregorian mass. The Gloria, though, is always sung alterned, whether it is a gregorian one or a modern/french one.