Getting Chant to the Simplest Level.
  • hartleymartin
    I was surprised to discover a very easy setting of O Salutaris Hostia in Chants of the Church (1953)

The setting is noted as "Vatican" - does this mean that this is the version originally in the Vatican Edition of chant books before Solesmes was given the monopoly on Gregorian Chant?

The tune is more familiar to many as "Jesu Dulcis Memoria" (Attached file is a screen capture from Chants of the Church.)

My mind is to use these simpler chant melodies, but I am concerned that this will also mean that since they are not in wide-spread use that I'm taking the rise of musically isolating my college's chaplaincy group.
  • Priestboi
    Hi there!

I dont think that would be a problem considering that few are singing the "O Salutaris" in general anyway. After you have learned this setting the next step up would be the basic and then the solemn version as found in the Parish Book of Chant. It is a very pleasing melody and easy to pick up (I learned it in 2mins just now) so I would wholeheartedly suggest its use. Enjoy!
  • hartleymartin
    PBC... still on my list of books to buy once I deal with the moth infestation in my wallet (oh they joys of being a college student).
  • Priestboi
    Being a student in your position I ended up downloading it - its free. Although I would love a hard copy. The pdf is freely available and works well on ipad apparently
  • Andrew Motyka
    Isn't that the Jesu Dulcis Memoria?
    Thanked by 1jpal
  • Yes, that is the same tune as Jesu Dulcis Memoria. The O Salutaris setting is from Chants of the Church, 1953, suggested as a simpler tone.

Considering that many chant hymns are sung to different tones, I don't think that it is a problem using this simpler melody.
  • quilisma
    Ah, the good old "One song to the tune of another...."

A technique frequently used to comic effect in the BBC Radio 4 comedy show "I'm sorry I haven't a clue" Link (at about 9 minutes in or just enjoy the whole show)