• Does everybody know what a "com box" is ?

I cannot find this phrase in the dictionary.

Is it "combox" or "com box" ?
  • chonakchonak
    It's slang for "comment box", the feature that allows readers to add comments below a weblog article ("blog posting").
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    At CCW's "View from the Choir Loft" the com boxes (and comboxes) seem always to be closed; hence, if someone actually wants to comment on an article there, one cannot, except by making some sort of discussion elsewhere (such as here). Perhaps JMO could be persuaded to open comments on the articles posted there?
  • Hi, Charles.

We recently got a generous donation which has allowed us to hire a webmaster.

He starts next week, and comments will be opened ASAP.

We've been without a web master of any kind since 2010.

GOD BLESS!

P.S.

So . . . again, I ask. Is it "com box" or "combox" or "Com Box" or "Com box" ?
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Hi Jeff!
    O, did you mean Chuck? Sorry. CHG is Chuck, melo is Charlie, and CharlesW is,........well, CharlesW.
    But I'm glad you're moving quickly to comboxes. PTB's tapped out, so Cafe, here and CCW will RULE THE WORLD SOON!

PS- I'm Charlie to everyone 'cept Wendy and Wendi, who both call me "dearest" tho' I haven't a clue why and how?
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • chonakchonak
    Jeff, I've never seen it written any way other than "combox".
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    Same here: "combox" only.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    Jeff ... thanks very much, and congratulations on getting a webmaster!

I've only used combox, too, but wondered if the two word version was also in use. It seems we've mostly just encountered the term combox.
  • I found the absence of comments at “Views from the Choir Loft” to be a rather refreshing change of pace and had mistakenly assumed this was an administrative decision rather than just a matter of staffing. One can after all make a case for not printing reader comments. Blog sites tend to be one-man operations without the time or resources to edit and winnow comments (one advantage of major print publications) and much of the quickly written feedback we read, though often heartfelt, lacks the careful consideration only time-consuming reflection can give. Because Rocco Palmo’s mission leans more toward pure news reporting “Whispers in the Loggia” has done very well without comments, but having no combox could benefit as well some blogs with more ideological intent. “The New Liturgical Movement” was once a must-read, but that was before the commandeering of its comment box by the far right - a seemingly all-male commentariat at that. (What ever happened to those NLM readers sympathetic to ad orientam and the retention of Latin who nonetheless prefer the OF?)

I’m not questioning the value of reader feedback and input, it just isn’t necessary in every case.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What ever happened to those NLM readers sympathetic to ad orientam and the retention of Latin who nonetheless prefer the OF

I still read their articles- but I never comment. I think there's a lot of that blogs with good content but with a readership that leans heavily to the right or left.
  • Kathy
    Over time, so I understand, compound words like this have commonly gone through these stages in order:
    com box
    com-box
    combox

But perhaps hyphenation is passe.

The "correct" spelling--or rather the most widely used spelling--changes over time. Neologisms are fluid. I wouldn't expect just one spelling, and I think readers would tolerate either com box or combox.
  • Andrew Motyka
    Randolph,

I believe the policy will be to let each individual blogger decide whether or not to open comments on his or her posts.

I haven't decided yet, either. I'd love to hear feedback, but I dread hearing feedback.
    Thanked by 1Randolph Nichols
  • That's the current plan --- each writer can decide whether to open comments and for how long.

I was initially against them, but as time goes on, I'm developing thicker skin ...

:-)
  • MarkThompson
    What ever happened to those NLM readers sympathetic to ad orientam and the retention of Latin who nonetheless prefer the OF?

NLM? Is that the online bookstore?
    Thanked by 1matthewj
  • melofluentmelofluent
    NLM? Is that the online bookstore?

Yes, it, along with PTB is ghost-owned by Rupert Murdoch, Hizzoner Bloomberg and the Koch Bros.
  • just FYI, I believe the spelling is "orientem" --- but spelling is not my strong suit
  • chonakchonak
    Online bookstore? What online bookstore?
  • Kathy
    "I'd love to hear feedback, but I dread hearing feedback."

Have you considered a career in church music?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Online bookstore? What online bookstore?

"Badges! What Badges?"

Little-known Hollywood fact: that line from John Huston's "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" was originally to have read "Badgers! What badgers?" Guess he was from Wisconsin. Go back to bed, Richard...
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    "Badgers! What badgers?" Guess he was from Wisconsin.

Hey, I resemble that remark (UW-Madison, '62).
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Paul_Onnonhoaraton,

I rest my case. If there were no combox you wouldn't have to endure such senseless misspellings.

PS Thanks for spotting the error.