Alleluias omitted outside Eastertide?
  • hartleymartin
    Short, quick one:

I'm using the chants from the SEP for a Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit. This mass will take place in ordinary time. Do I delete the alleuias from the antiphon?
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Unless it is stated (in the chant) that the Alleluia is only added in Easter Time, the Alleluia isn't omitted in Ordinary Time.

See for example the Communion Antiphon for the Thirteenth Sunday (Year A), p. 239 in SEP. This antiphon is taken from Easter Time (Wednesday in the Octave of Easter), but when sung in Ordinary Time, the Alleluia isn't omitted.
  • The Liber Usualis prescribes that the Alleluias are not sung at the Introit, Offertory, and Communion for an EF Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit outside of Easter; the melodies of these chants are reworked to reflect this. Based on this I would lean towards omitting the singing the alleluias from the SEP antiphons for an OF Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit.

We ourselves will be using the Gregorian chants for an OF Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit on May 25, sans alleluias.
  • hartleymartin
    Thanks for that. Will do so.
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    the melodies of these chants are reworked to reflect this. Based on this I would lean towards omitting the singing the alleluias from the SEP antiphons for an OF Votive Mass of the Holy Spirit.

However, based on the fact that some melodies are not reworked in the 1974 Graduale Romanum pertaining to Ordinary Time - and in a few particular instances specifically reworked for Lent lead me to the exact opposite conclusion.

I tend to make recourse to the EF for OF answers only when the OF is vague. I don't believe the 1974 Graduale is vague in this regard. Alleluias are permitted during Ordinary Time in the OF - I suspect this decision was made when they were included in the original composition of the chant. I would do the alleluias (not marked T.P.) with the original Gregorian melodies anytime outside of Lent. With the SEP, however, I could go either way.