Adam Woods' excellent article on Chant Cafe
  • JulieCollJulieColl
    For some reason I can't leave my comment (probably too long!) on Adam Wood's post "A Firm Foundation" there so I'll post it here. As I see it, his message about familiarity and comfort being a driving force in the spread of a universal liturgical culture is a critical part of making the traditional Latin Mass more accessible to Catholics.

I couldn't help but think of the Waltons singing Onward Christian Soldiers in their church and the people of Walnut Grove belting out Bringing in the Sheaves at Sunday morning services with the Rev. Alden! The Protestants have always demonstrated very well that singing together creates valuable affective bonds between people.

The question is, how do you incorporate this important sense of "family" into the traditional Latin Mass?

At our Sunday Missa Cantata we sing vernacular congregational hymns as our opening and closing hymns and believe they are a necessary step towards creating a sense of "congregation" and "community."

Part of our decision to institute congregational hymn-singing at the beginning and end of Mass was because our little stone chapel does not have an organ (I use a MIDI keyboard) and is small, so it lends itself very well to a sense of "sanctuary" and "refuge" as Adam describes so well in his article. In other words, grand organ processionals were never going to work in that setting so we decided to capitalize on what we had and replicate as much as possible the provincial French Catholic model.

The pastor gave me a 1982 Anglican hymnbook so we have had a wonderful time learning the beautiful old classic hymns which we often sing in four parts on the second verse (a la King's College Choir, in our own humble way).

I'm convinced that the stately language of the standard hymns in this way provides a way to "transition" from the language of the world to the sacred language and elevated music required in the traditional Latin liturgy. It's a way for people to compose themselves and actually sets the mood for fuller participation in the rite of Mass. Conversely, at the end of Mass, a beautiful English hymn is a way for people to put into words their thoughts and emotions and acts as a catharsis, a way to "descend from the heights," so to speak and return to the mundane (and profane).
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Thanks!

Also- you're the second person to say they couldn't leave a comment.
    Anyone else have that problem? Anyone know how to fix it?
  • BenBen
    Tuckah! Where are ya?
  • GavinGavin
    Anyone else envious of Julie's church?

I would give up the organ entirely if I had a congregation of any size that sang the great hymns.
  • Jeffrey TuckerJeffrey Tucker
    I've heard of people who have comment issues. I don't really see what they are or why they are happening.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    JT, you know darn well I loves ya, but you also know darn well I've told you a thousand times there's something wonky about the comments process at Cafe, prob'ly because of all the gateways you've activated (Intensedebate etc.) If you don't really see a problem, then you must be covering your eyes while mumblin' "see no evil." I tried at least five times (home and office computers) to comment on Adam's thread, and settled for putting it here. Get RC on it at least.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    I've never had a problem commenting, but I'm also always logged into a Google account of some sort (Blogger is a Google product).

Maybe the comments settings only allow certain people (logged-in users) to comment?
  • BenBen
    Are you trying to comment on mobile devices? Maybe that has something to do with it...idk, just a thought.
  • Kathy
    Ordinarily I use Firefox and Explorer interchangeably, but I only use Firefox for the Cafe because I'd have issues with Explorer.