Hiring/Need questions-what to look for when hiring a director of music ministry
  • elaine60elaine60
    I am the organist/accompanist at our catholic church and we are just beginning the process of looking for a new director of music ministry. I would appreciate any advice of questions, what to look for or how to interview that I can pass on to our pastor. I'm not fulling sure they have posted anywhere yet as it has just happened and I feel they are just in the process of deciding how to go about it.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    That would depend a lot on where your music program currently is. Could you perhaps describe what a normal Sunday at your parish looks like / sounds like.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Also, what is the vision for the future? Some parishes might want to maintain status quo (i.e. find someone just like the last DM), others might want to incorporate more sacred music and slowly weed out drivel (i.e. a reformer), and still others might want to revisit the 70's where they can find their sentimental happy place (???).
  • elaine60elaine60
    A typical sunday:
    I play prelude or choir sings
    announcements
    Gathering song: typically a hymn -sometimes contemporary
    sing: River of Glory for Sprinkling rite during Easter season
    sing Gloria
    Father chants collect
    Psalms and gospel acclamation from Respond and Acclaim
    Preparation of Gifts: generally contemporary
    sing Mass of Renewal (we just started this is Janary)
    Communion: this had varied alot we have done "You are Mine" , to "Where Charity and Love Prevail"
    we then have silence as communion procession finishes
    Father and deacon chant closing.
    the two masses the congregation has learned since the rite began is "The Mass of Resurrection" and "Mass of Renewal" of which we do not know the Gloria yet because we just started that one in January.
    We use OCP.
    Does that help?
  • elaine60elaine60
    Earl-our Deacon has said Father wants to take music ministry to the next level-but has not been specific yet. Also our choir director was very much into the sappy, contemporay "Untitled Hymn", and Voices 2. Congregation wants hymns they can sing from what I am hearing.
  • JPike1028
    Where are you located and are you accepting resumes still?
  • elaine60elaine60
    We are locatd in the diocese of Evansville, IN. Our church is St. John's the Evangelist in Daylight, IN. JPike I do plan on posting on here but as I said not sure they have put anything out public yet so do need to talk to Father. and yes I planned on posting on here.
    My e-mail is: eritzert@sbcglobal.net
  • Steve QSteve Q
    There are some good thoughts in this previous thread.
    Thanked by 1elaine60
  • elaine60elaine60
    Thank you so much for your suggestions. :)
  • francis
    A Catholic church musician (if you can get one) ultimately should EAT, LIVE And BREATHE the Roman Catholic ethos. That is your first priority. American catholicism and those who subscribe and promote it, is muddy at best, and often misled.

If you can find and hire a good Catholic church musician, 95% of your other concerns will be taken care of by the new DoM and you won't have to worry about 'correctly' growing the program. Simple as that.
    Thanked by 2kevinf Earl_Grey
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Does the Director also have to be an organist? Or are all of the Masses covered by someone else?
  • Kathy
    I think that during the interview, about half the questions should be non-music, non-liturgy related, and should instead reflect the teaching/management/customer service aspects of the job, which are enormous.
    Have you ever been berated by someone unreasonably? How did you handle it?
    What strategies do you use to stay calm when confronted without warning?
    Have you ever organized a large project? How did you do it?
    Have you ever taught someone something and they didn't seem able to grasp it at first? What is a good way to handle that?
    Are you a very directive leader, or a more collaborative leader? Which of these do you think is more effective in a choir situation, and why?
    Have you ever been in a situation where you had to respond to several people's needs at once? How do you prioritize in those situations?
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Also the best auditions/interviews include a choir rehearsal that the potential-director should have to run. That way you can see how they interact with the choir. Perhaps you could also have certain savvy choir members "have problems singing" certain passages and see how the potential director is able to assist those choir members (or if he/she even notices)!
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    have certain savvy choir members "have problems singing"

I've never known this to require pre-planning
  • BenBen
    Haha!
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Sometimes it would help to have an even playing field, so if you have the one savvy choir member have the same problem for each candidate it improves the scientific method. Whereas the less savvy choir members might have different problems for different candidates.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Plus it makes it more fun after someone is hired and they find out that the person was a plant making mistakes on purpose. It can foster a great friendship (this happened to me) and gives you an interesting story to tell people whenever you're at the pub with that person.
  • GavinGavin
    I really don't like mj's suggestion. It strikes me as screwing with someone needlessly. You want someone who can work with YOUR choir, not a choir of people who intentionally mess up. And if I took a job and someone told me they sabotaged me intentionally... that's not starting any friendship off for me.
  • elaine60elaine60
    francis-yes with all the muddy waters-would be really nice
    Kathy-A MUST-yes, yes and yes. thanks for the suggestions. This is 90% of the battle in music ministry.
    and Yes Father has said he would like them to do a weekend or mass with the choir.
    and OHHHH you guys are bad (but good)-but I know when I interview for positions as music therapist they do that very thing -imitate what your clients are going to be doing and seeing how you handle it.
    matthewj-No does not have to be an organist. This would be icing on the cake if the director and I could switch off at times and it we would not have to be looking for subs when I need time off.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    BTW- if you are going to include a choral rehearsal as part of an audition- let people know ahead of time so they can bring a piece of music they are familiar with (or post a selection online or something).

I was once asked to do this in an interview/audition, with no warning. I was also asked if I could play some gospel music.

I did not get that job.
    Thanked by 1Andrew Motyka
  • elaine60elaine60
    Gavin-I understand what you are saying. You only do one purposeful mistake and only one person.
    Adam-agree.
  • GavinGavin
    Still, I strongly recommend against this. When I auditioned for my last position, I was asked to rehearse two pieces - one known to the choir, one not. And I got them ahead of time to prepare. Even if other people are auditioning with the same piece, it will surely not be polished or fully learned, even after several candidates. Inventing mistakes to be difficult is disingenuous and unnecessary.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Questions, musically/liturgically oriented-
    1. What benchmarks would you consider important towards determining the growth, improvement and vitality of any and all music leadership personnel in the parish? Please prioritize in a taxonomy of most important to foundational.
    2. What time table would you consider a fair and reasonable period to accomplish three of those benchmarks of your choosing?
    3. Besides the pastor, who on staff and/or involved directly with liturgy and music ministry would you consider viable assessors of those musical benchmarks or goals?
    4. If the pastor requested your assistance in re-orienting the musical styles of any multi-cultural musical ensembles that he considers ill-equipped to serve that vernacular worship sufficiently, could you describe a brief outline of steps you would take to mitigate that task?
    5. According to the liturgical documents of the Second Vatican Council, please prioritize which portions of the Mass you believe to be of higher congregational "active participation" than others?

That's just a few in ten minutes before rehearsal. We're singing Rice/Giffen/Allen/Mueller and Jones tonight! Oh yeah.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen elaine60
  • Carl DCarl D
    Don't forget to leave lots of time to answer the candidates' questions. They'll learn a lot, and so will you if you pay attention to where their mind's at.
    Thanked by 1elaine60
  • elaine60elaine60
    Carl D-Amen.
    Gavin-yes I believe just be in tune to what is naturally happening don't think we really have to planned any mistakes, etc.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The planned mistake works. I would never be offended if someone planned a mistake during an audition (it's not a Mass - it's a rehearsal). The problem with not planning a mistake (or two) and doing rehearsal-auditions is that every candidate may not have an even playing field. Candidate A might help the choir with technique to the point that Candidate B will inherit a much better choir for his/her audition rehearsal, then Candidate C might give the choir terrible advise that could stick and lead to Candidate D having a terrible audition rehearsal. If all the candidates face the same error(s), you will see who is able to best address the problem.
    You can be totally honest with the candidates and tell them that the choir will have problems they will have to address during the audition rehearsal.
  • TCJ
    The intentional mistake will only work if the choir is good enough to do it! Some people might accidentally hit the right note if they try to get it wrong.

I do believe that the church should be SPECIFIC about what duties will be and who will do exactly what. While it's nice for it to seem there will be flexibility or that two employees can work together on something, this can cause a lot of problems down the road if the pastor (or the person put in charge of hiring) isn't clear. I've been in that situation in which both I and the other employee thought the pastor meant something different and we both were trying to do the same job. In my defense, I knew what I was doing, and he didn't... but still, that wouldn't have been a problem in the first place if pastor had made duties 100% clear in the first place. So avoid that problem if you can.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Matthew, if it's a bogus problem in the first place, what do you hope to learn about the effectiveness of a solution? If it's just a hearing test, be up front about it and ask the candidate to point out any discrepancies between a recording and a score, without wasting the choristers' time.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • matthewjmatthewj
    The bogus problem is to show that the candidate can locate an issue within the choir, fix the problem, and do so in a way that is truly helpful. It also shows a lot about a person's management style, temperament, etc. Just having them find the error in a recording isn't enough - it's about how they fix it / deal with it and potentially follow up on it.

The best interview/audition I ever went through used this trick. I was offered the job because I was the only one who was able to fix the problem in a way that wasn't seen as "overly harsh," or "confusing," - and many either ignored the problem or didn't notice it. One of the candidates made a rather sarcastic comment about the problem, a few tried to fix the problem but it went way over the heads of the volunteer singers in the choir (though the one making the error was a near professional voice), and a large group ignored it/didn't attempt to fix it/didn't hear it. Talking to and getting to know the hiring committee after the interview process really showed me the brilliance of this technique- they were able to see so much more about how a person actually operated than by asking them questions. They were able to see their leadership qualities, their pastoral sensitivity, their musical knowledge, etc, all on display.
  • Kathy
    I would lose respect for an employer who tried the planned mistake. Maybe that's just me.

There is enough to fix / improve in any situation that all of these qualities--leadership, pastoral sensitivity, musicality, etc.--should shine through in a rehearsal. An employer could see what improvements this particular candidate would be likely to make in the long run by his/her priorities in a rehearsal. Will this candidate improve the choir's vocal quality? Sight-singing ability? Sensitivity to text? Dynamic power? Unity? Balance?

No one should have to find the particular needle that the search committee decided to plant in the haystack.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    I have to agree with Kathy and Gavin on the issue of planting a "ringer" for the purpose of detecting a particular mistake and observing whether the candidate detects the mistake and, if so, how that candidate handles the mistake. Moreover, unless the Search Committee has at least one very musically competent member with considerable choir directing experience (not a given), such an exercise is probably pointless.

There are so many other dimensions to finding the right person and subtleties or nuances that would probably be swept under the door by a committee zealously pursuing what it little more than a litmus test that focuses so narrowly on one aspect of a candidate's qualifications. The candidate that would be weeded out by such a test would be just as likely to fail on other reasons ... or, even failing the litmus test, might be excellently qualified in all other aspects.

Leading rehearsals with the choir, especially with one familiar piece and another piece new to the choir, and observing the outcome and gauging feedback from the choir members will reveal much more than a deviously planted problem. While some candidates, if offered and accepting the job, might think, upon being told of the subterfuge, it was a cool thing as has been reported here, there are surely others that would feel offended in some way and might fear for their continued employment, lest other booby traps be laid in their paths.
    Thanked by 2Kathy francis
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I was once caught up by missing a subterfuge- I mistook an anacrucis as being part of thematic melody of the fuge rather than a simple canonic extrapolation in the exposition, and the committee subtured my resume and suggest I come bach the next time around.
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    In the non-sacred choral world, the planted mistake is almost par for the course. I have mixed feelings about it - which I guess depend on the situation - the requirements of the position, the abilities of the choir and the committee - but regardless of your opinion of it, you should always expect it in an audition.
  • Kathy
    I could see more justification if a jury of musicians were hiring a colleague, but a search committee for a parish isn't usually like that. It's a group of amateurs hiring a professional, and someone they are going to be working with for a long time. Trust is a very important aspect of the pastor-music director relationship. This is someone whom you will want to be able to say things like, "Yes, I see that this is an important pastoral consideration, but could we discuss the musical side as well." You will want to have give-and-take on a high level of professional trust. Starting off with a fake quiz is no way to start that relationship.
  • Ask the following questions:

- what do you think of microphone use in church?
    - What is the most important aspect of Mass?
    - Father asks you to violate Church law. What is your response?
    - After you have finished singing (having the choir sing) what you had planned, there is quiet time. What do you do about it?
  • elaine60elaine60
    Thank you all so much for your input. I believe in a volunteer choir we really don't have to plant any. There is alot to consider. How that person teaches a new piece and how the choir does. Along with knowledge of the liturgy and how they plan.
    Thanked by 1Kathy
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    what do you think of microphone use in church?

"They should always be set to the correct volume."

(Off.)
    Thanked by 2elaine60 CHGiffen
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    A good teacher will try to figure out the why of the mistake and maybe even make up drills that address a more general solution. I wouldn't take it amiss if I were told up front that a deliberate mistake would be made (was _that_ it?), but a test of the candidate's tact in ascertaining whether someone is deliberately screwing with them seems the wrong foot to start on.

I once thought that an off-key singer was just such an audition test, and with a wink asked the rest of the choir to repeat the warmup a minor third lower to match. These days I'm old and experienced enough that I might snarl instead; I eventually found out that he indeed had trouble matching pitch, but he was motivated enough to become, with some coaching and lots of homework with a tape recorder, a valuable 2nd bass capable of handling some divisi on his own.
    Thanked by 3elaine60 CHGiffen Kathy
  • I think the hiring process depends entirely on the parish. A large parish within a large city that often does major liturgies, has a large choir (many of whom are musicians, as well as volunteer singers and can read music and easily follow direction), and has more than one organist/pianist would interview based on purely professional standards as outlined above, and would benefit from a "practice" rehearsal. On the other hand, a smaller parish outside the borders of a large city with a choir of all volunteer singers, all of which do not read music, nor have a desire to learn, but have a deep desire to praise God through song and are dedicated and responsibility (with or without musical talent), would need a director that is more people oriented, than a true musical professional with a Masters Degree in music. In some cases, the less musically educated candidate in this setting would be a more ideal candidate than one that comes in, wants to "fix" all the problems and speaks above the heads of his/her singers.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Hang in there, MT56- I see you've started another thread for us to say what we think of 'dedicated' singers who have no desire to learn. I think on the contrary that a rehearsal audition would be even more valuable in such a chip-on-the-shoulder scenario. Whether these singers can be engaged (even challenged!) and given a sense of accomplishment is far more revealing than whether the candidate can charm the committee and impress with 'people skills' in an interview setting. The best interview question ever put to me (following an audition) was "Are you ready to become these people's friend?"

p.s. for elaine60: I've just edited a bit to lessen confusion!
  • elaine60elaine60
    Richard M. -I have not started another thread-not sure where that came from. Do like your question "Are you ready to be these peopl's friends?" So true.
    I see the above person musicteacher did.