Installation Mass
  • JL
    I'm rather excited about the Byzantine deacon chanting the Gospel in Greek. And I'm interested to see how the assembly does on the responses at the Introit and the Communio--they seem above the heads of the average American congregation, but perhaps things are different elsewhere. It would be nice if the program listed composers/arrangers/whatnot, but judging only from the printed leaflet it looks quite simple, reverent and dignified.
  • Not wishing to be contrary, but I do wish that we would put an end to talking about this that and the other being 'above the heads' of American congregations. We should (insistently, if necessary) be raising our people in intelligence and accomplishment rather than coddling them in a gratuitously presumed deficit in musical aptitude. I saw nothing in this inaugural leaflet that was (or should be) above most people's heads. What struck (and delighted) me was that nearly all the music was printed in chant notation... somehow, I suspect that those present will have no problem either reading it or picking it up by osmossis: its sense is, after all, rather self evident, isn't it? I share your delight in the Greek gospel!
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    I had a mentor who once advised that if people complain that you are talking above their heads, you should ask if they would rather that you thought they were stupid....
  • David AndrewDavid Andrew
    SkirpR, that's a sentiment similar to a famous quote by Harlan Ellison:

I don't mind you thinking I'm stupid, but don't talk to me like I'm stupid.

Of course, he also said,

The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

And, let us not forget this pearl from Mechtild de Magdeburg:

"Stupidity is sufficient unto itself. Wisdom can never learn enough."
  • SkirpRSkirpR
    Returning to the topic of the thread, I'm watching the Installation Mass now... and I don't get the alternatim with the Gloria. I don't understand Italian sensibility. It isn't good music and it's not performed well. Just sing the chant - or sing a nice polyphonic Gloria. This is just painful.
  • I didn't want to be the one to say it, but yes, I thought that Gloria was dreadful. Points for effort, though. I wouldn't even mind an alternatim chant setting with some dressing-up of the choirs parts, but not whatever that thing was that they did.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Thankfully, it seems, I couldn't hear the Gloria because the TV Comentator felt the need to read the translation during it - and most of the other music. I just wish they'd put up subtitles - I mean, it's not like they can't prepare that ahead of time considering that the ICEL translation is the same whether the Gloria is from Mass VIII or the Mass in B minor.
  • Andrew_Malton
    Active participation.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    The Bloomberg Maxim as applied to FACP at St. Peter's: Capella Sixtina only may partake of the 64 ounce Big Gulp of sugared Coca-Cola; the populum may prayerfully consider how to share in that glory with their Dixie cup of Trevi Fountain Water, fresh from the hurried dispatch of seminarian couriers 5 minutes before the Tu es Petrus is to be heard. Amen.
  • As an old choirboy myself, I found the responsorial psalm, led by a boy soprano, moving. It's a reminder of the continuing tradition of children singing the liturgy. Maybe I can crib the video for a recruitment drive.
    Thanked by 1bonniebede