Palm Sunday Passion Chant for EF
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    Hi Folks - I am in need of a PDF copy of the 1961 Palm Sunday St. Matthew's Passion. There are a number of older versions out there but not the correct one. Does anyone have a PDF floating around?

Thanks!
    Matt
  • rich_enough
    I'm curious to know what's not correct about the Cantus Passionis up at musicasacra.com/communio?
  • tomjaw
    From the "New Office of Holy Week, No. 851c, Desclee, 1956"

The old Passion (Antiqua Passio) : Matth. 26, 1-75; 17, 1-66.
    The new Passion (Nova Passio) : Matth. 26, 36-75; 17, 1-60.

Passio Domini nostri Jesu Christi secundum Matthaeum. In illo tempore: Venit Jesus cum discipulis suis in villam quae dicitur Gethsemani... etc.

So all you would need to do for the new version would be to delete the section at the beginning and the section at the end. We only have the older books, but I can send a pdf, scanned from "Dominica Palmarum, No. 822, Desclee, 1930" I don't think many copies of the new form were printed, all the copies I have seen are the old form with pencil lines through the omitted sections.

We sing the Traditional version, with the Victoria responses.
  • BenBen
    Is this what you're looking for?

Cantus Passionis (1952): Volume I, Volume II, Volume III
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    Mr. Meloche to the rescue. Thanks Matt! It has earned you a beverage of your choice at the hotel bar in SLC, with chips and salsa of course.
  • ossian1898ossian1898
    @Ben Yanke: actually, those are the older versions. it was revised and shortened later, and that's the one used in the 62 Mass
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Well, of course chips and salsa... otherwise we'd be hauled off in shackles.

But seriously, everyone doing the 1962 Missal needs to bookmark http://www.windsorlatinmass.org for a resource site. It's kind of a big-deal.

If you look under "chant sheets" you'll find everything you've ever needed to get a less-than-confident cleric to go from low-Mass to Missa Cantata.
  • Please note that the editions of the Cantus Passionis linked to by Mr. Yanke were published after 1955. Each volume has a section in the back ("Mutationes") that tells you how to use the book according to the liturgy of 1956.