Respond and Acclaim VS. Gelineau VS. Guimont
  • Hi Everyone,

I am currently looking at everyones thoughts and opinions on psalm settings. The church I currently play for has always used R and A psalm books. In the last year, I have started to added and change into Gelineau/Guimont settings.I don't do a new setting every week but occasionally here and there. I would say one different setting every two months. I find the Guimont settings to be very musical and not change on inappropriate syllables like the R and A. I have always felt that since the congregation has the same words in front of them, you could use any musical setting you would like as long as the words match. To the music readers in the congregation (only 3 or 4 as of now) suggested I should do what in the OCP Heritage missal and use no other setting. I completely disagree with this and feel as long as the words are the same and it's a simple Guimont or Gelineau melody (as most of them are) this is fine.

What settings are other catholic church music directors currently using as well??

Thanks for your thoughts and advice on this subject.

• Kathy
    I strongly prefer the Gelineau/Guimont settings to the R & A.

Just a general comment re: the 3 or 4 nitpickers: I would cultivate them. Although they're being silly (ridiculous, actually) about this particular issue, they know something about music, and they care. I would totally listen to them, let them know that you hear their concerns, and talk to them on as elevated a level as they can reach, musically and liturgically speaking. It wouldn't hurt to ask them about their own musical background. I guess I'm basically suggesting flattery. They could end up being good friends to your program.
  • I like using Richard Rice's psalm settings and Jeff Ostrowski's settings which are available through the Corpus Christi Watershed website. When I don't use one of their settings, I tend to lean towards Gelineau, Guimont, and than finally on R&A.

Gelineau seems to be a bit more traditional, which is what I prefer. Guimont is a bit more contemporary (not in the praise & worship sense) but does have a lot of good settings.

One of the issues I take with R&A is that they tend to get very liberal with texts, repeating things that they shouldn't, and sometimes the music just sounds plain silly. I will say this to R&A's benefit, it is well organized in the sense that you need not go searching all over the place for things, it has strong organizational skills, and at least the setting of the Gospel Acclamation is right there as well, but all in all the book is very tiring. The R&A in Spanish is an absolute disaster, to be avoided at all costs.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • CharlesW
    I don't really have much choice. The pastor insists psalms be from either the WLP missalette or RitualSong, which are the two items in the pews. He also insists the words and notes must match what the congregation is hearing from the choir/cantors. I am looking at Worship IV as a new hymnal because of the Guimont/Gelineau psalms- much preferable to the Haugen/Haas/Joncas in RitualSong.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Speaking for myself, I find the Respond and Acclaim psalms to be okay. They're not the best music I've ever heard, but I really don't share the opinion of many here who seem to abhor them. They are organized sequentially into one booklet with the Gospel Acclamations right next to them, which helps make them user friendly. I also find the melodies to usually be simple enough that the congregation can catch on easily.

That said, I think Gelineau are better, and should be used if that is an option. I am not a fan of the Guimont psalm settings.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • I absolutely LOVE both the Gelineau and Guimont psalms. We use those two almost exclusively in my parish. They are very well crafted, musical, and seem to be an organic development from chant to modern music in English.
  • I am also forced to use the Guimont psalms. They range from "hey that was decent" to "I can't believe how awful this is". The psalm verses are usually not great, and I often feel like I am performing and not singing at Mass. The harmonies can be really odd and jazzy. I also don't agree with where he places his syllables and I often change them.

Sometimes the melodies are salvageable. If you have the time and the wherewithal, rewrite the harmony and use a real psalm tone for the verses. It will take time but will reduce the angst.
  • CharlesW
    Remember, this is relative. I am comparing Guimont to Haugen/Haas/Joncas. There's one Joncas psalm in RitualSong called, "My soul is thirsting..." that sounds more like circling the wagons at a gypsy camp than something to use at mass. I know he was born too late to write scores for silent movies, which would have been a better match for him stylistically. However, Joncas has written some new psalms that are much better than his older works.
  • The Vatican II Hymnal contains Chabanel settings (by Ostrowski & Aristotle), but the Chabanel psalms website contains hundreds more settings you might be interested in viewing, by Rice, Nickel, Oost-Zinner, and many others.

I suppose each person will have different views regarding music. I've not experienced the Gelineau, but ( speaking for myself ) I find the Guimont antiphons extremely predictable (in a banal, uninspired way) and I must observe that a lot of his "psalm tones" sound really goofy, with super-jazzy harmonies and large leaps. That being said, I agree with the person who said some of them have aspects that are to be admired.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • I'm new to this forum and am appreciating all of your comments. We use the Seasonal Missalette Resource published by WLP. I find many of their responses very musical and singable, but I too have been substituting Guimont/Gelineau on occasion. Some of the melodies speak to me. I usually look there if there is a psalm in the Missalette that is unfamiliar or difficult to sing. I haven't heard complaints, but I'm with the musician who says to listen to everyone's viewpoint. Thanks for this site. I'm learning a lot.
  • For those who feel pressured by either pastor or liturgy committee to use R & A, as I was not so many years ago, you at least have the option of setting the verses to traditional psalm tones. (I found that modes II, V, VI, and VIII are easily learned by non-professional cantors and at least one can be paired to any R & A antiphon.) At the very least use traditional psalm tones for the gospel acclamation verse. Alstott's are particularly awkward and unsatisfying.
    Thanked by 2Kathy hilluminar
  • BruceL
    I rather like the Guimont and Gelineau psalm settings. We use them probably 70-80% of the time here at my place. Part of this has to do that I need one setting for the Masses I play (which are organ-based) and for the ensemble Mass. The verse pointing is almost always very good, while the tones/refrain melodies can vary. I particularly do not like when Guimont uses dominant V7 chords. OCP's collection by Fr. John Schiavone is ok, although the refrains are often bad.

It's a little ironic that we see Gelineau as "more traditional" when Gelineau, while not an iconoclast, certainly wasn't against upsetting the status quo!

I like Jeff's psalms for ccwatershed and a number of the other contributors. However (and I know all of them are on this board at one time or another, so I hope this comment is taken in context), I often find the text pointing questionable and the layout (a note per syllable) unsettles my eyes when I'm trying to sing them. I find myself getting very mechanical. I like Richard Rice's settings a lot, but often change almost all the cadences and terminations in the psalm tone (and don't do the intonation on every verse).

A number of the more chant-like settings you can find on ccwatershed are excellent (Aristotle's, Fr. Samuel, etc.) but I usually have to default to something less modal due to front-office concerns!
    Thanked by 1Paul_Onnonhoaraton
  • I just received the Parish Book of Psalms. Prior to the book arriving, I decided to give the settings a test run this past Saturday evening. The responsorial psalm was not that hard to sing (thanks to the YouTube tutorials). The only adaptation that I made is that I prefer the Grail psalter translation to what is in our Lectionary.

In my parish, we use R and A. I do not like some of the melodies and the Gospel Acclamations are not quite inspiring. During Lent, I prefer to use David Hurd's Gospel Acclamation (based on his Kyrie). It sounds a lot better than the one from R & A (which is reminiscent of Mary Had a Little Lamb).
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • I never realized how much the R and A lenten Gospel Acclamation sounds so much like mary had a little lamb!! That's funny!! Haha.
    Thanked by 2Ben marajoy
  • GavinGavin
    I think that as an ideal the psalm should be done a capella. I find congregations REALLY pick up on a simple psalm-tone response.
  • ryandryand
  • Gavin, that is what I do at my dad's parish. I also do this when I am the substitute cantor at my parish and I have no accomapaniment. Chanting a capella really does help. In fact, when I tried the Parish Book of Psalms setting this weekend, the faithful were able to pick up the response.
  • Because we use Worship IV and I find the responses quite unsingable most of the time, I write the responses each week and the choir sings the verses to Anglican Chant or to Gregorian Psalm tones.
  • Dale, You find the Worship IV psalms challenging? Are they the Gelineau or a combination of Gelineau and Guimont in the Worship IV? I don't own the Worship IV. What are your thoughts of the Worship IV as a hymnal?? Is it better or worse then the third edition of Worship??
  • I've found that using Psalm tones from the Divine Office works pretty well.

I've also borrowed the Psalm tones used in the Simple English Propers to good effect.
  • donr
    We are forced to use the R&A in our parish because the Pastor wants the PIPs to see the melody out of the Today's Missal we use. It would definitely not be my first choice.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    You could reharmonize the antiphon and pair it with a more worthy psalm tone.
  • I've used the Columba Kelly settings (Meinrad tones) during Advent and Lent. They work well a cappella.
  • Anyone know of an audio demo of all the Saint Meinrad tones? A friend of mine would like to learn them. Best way is to spend two weeks praying with the monks at Saint Meinrad (like I did...felt comfortable with all the tones within a few days), but short of that, I wondered whether there's something online I've missed in my searches?
  • St Meinrad psalm tones. Usually in the mode of the Gradual for the Solemnity.
  • GavinGavin
    If I may go "meta" on this thread, was anyone else a bit discouraged by the title?

CMAA members put out an astonishing number of psalm settings and collections of the same, all publicized internationally. The CMAA has plenteous voices speaking against R&A and the GIA offerings. The psalm resources put out are totally free and easily available.

And someone comes here asking about whether they should use R&A?

What is being done incorrectly that people aren't familiar with Chabanel Psalms, the chanted psalm project, and such - even people familiar with the CMAA? What can we do to make people ask, "RA vs Gel vs Gui vs Chabanel?"

(None of this is to complain about musicman's presence, and he's been a delightful addition to the forum!)
  • kevinfkevinf
    Good PR on the part of GIA, for one. But lest you think otherwise, the times are -a-changin. I visited a small parish in the heart of KY two weeks ago and there resting on the organ was the Chabanel psalm for the Sunday. I was ecstatic.

A little at a time.
  • Thanks Gavin for the saying I am a delightful addition to the forum! Everyone needs to see the updated 15 year old organ playing and new history I found out about it this weekend. It's in the discussion forum. Please read it and leave comments! It's a rare gem of an organ!!
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • SalieriSalieri
    How 'bout Arlene Oost-Zinner's "Parish Book of Psalms"? I find these to be very well done.
  • BenBen
    Kevin, I've had that same reaction before when I hear a responsorial psalm, and think: It's from chabanel!!
  • kevinfkevinf
    I am fortunate that as the largest parish in my part of the bourbon country of Kentucky, I get a lot of questions from smaller parishes about all sorts of things musical. I never hesitate to show them the resources available here and at other places that are free. And many are eager to learn.

Yeah, converting the baptized.......
  • CharlesW
    I get lots of questions from large musicians who wan't to be uplifted. I am starting to respond uncharitably. Some are not worth baptizing. Go ahead and drown them. LOL.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • What settings are other catholic church music directors currently using as well??

My parish's music director uses paraphrased psalms from the Psalms section of Gather - Second Edition. While this isn't preferred, it is allowed according to Sing to the Lord.

In my preference, I like the Lyric Psalter and sometimes Guimont Psalms.
  • ryandryand
    One reason I believe The Parish Book of Psalms is not a viable alternative to the above settings is that they are a capella, which is not the desire for some parishes, and the aversion to neumes in some parish choirs.

This is being addressed with the PBP Accompaniments currently in the works. This book will be made available in print upon completion, and in the meantime you can download the settings for free.

Advantages of these settings over the others:
    -No paraphrasing
    -Only ONE purchase necessary. A permanent book for all three liturgical years, unlike R&A, which has parishes making another purchase on an annual basis
    -Free downloads if you want to try them out RIGHT NOW
    -The organ accompaniments make them just as accessible as R&A to the average parish
    -Standard notation for those who are not comfortable with neumes
    -The antiphons are composed in a simple Gregorian style and the verses use traditional psalm tones, honoring our inheritance of sacred music. And the anti-Gregorianists in your congregation won't even know it!

Why not switch to The Parish Book of Psalms today? It's totally free, and by the time your next R&A subscription fees are due, you can skip that and make a single payment for a permanent, reusable collection of beautiful, sacred responsorial psalm settings.
  • CharlesW
    I often give copies of the organ accompaniment to the choir since they don't like neumes, either. They sing just as well from the words in the accompaniment copy.
    Thanked by 1ryand
  • eft94530eft94530
    ChantingOrgan: paraphrased psalms [...] While this isn't preferred, it is allowed according to Sing to the Lord.

Sing To The Lord has zero authority.
    Paraphrased psalms are not allowed [to be used as Responsorial Psalms].

http://forum.musicasacra.com/forum/discussion/1775/sing-to-the-lord-authority/p1
    Thanked by 1francis
  • mrcoppermrcopper
    Thanks to all, historical and otherwise, for the info here. On looking through the settings already made, I don't see the need for my idea of the 'progressive psalms' mixing sight reading and the church year. Quick decision already to stick to sight singing in parts, maybe using some texts that are proper for various days.
  • eft94530:

From the GIRM:

In the Dioceses of the United States of America, instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual from the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books, or an antiphon and Psalm from another collection of Psalms and antiphons, including Psalms arranged in metrical form, providing that they have been approved by the Conference of Bishops or the Diocesan Bishop. Songs or hymns may not be used in place of the Responsorial Psalm.

Does the GIRM have authority? The bolded part would include approved paraphrases.

BTW, wouldn't the USCCB have authority over the United States unless the Holy See says otherwise?
  • PhatFlute
    I have heard some Respond An Acclaim, and while you many do not love it, I think they are simple and joyous. And not joyous when they should not be. Does this make sense?
    Ph

(NOTE I EDITED QUEST. MARK)
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • Referring to the orginal post, I prefer Guimont from those choices.
    Thanked by 1Spriggo
  • From my perspective, the chain of authority is something like
    Musician/Chorister>Cantor>Music Director>Priest/Deacon>Pastor>Bishop>USCCB>Vatican.
    It seems changes or deviations to anything with regard to music can happen at any rung in the ladder, and corrections can come from either direction.
    One of my parishes likes R+A because it matches whats in the missalette, and the chanting tone is preferred over the metrical sing song style the other parish seems to be mired with.
    For the upcoming Schola Cantorum masses, I've still not decided, but I'm sure it'll be English-language responsorial psalms of a simple plainchant nature- probably not R+A. I'm going for the unaccompanied style, but time will tell how that goes over.
  • ryandryand
    One of my parishes likes R+A because it matches whats in the missalette, and the chanting tone is preferred over the metrical sing song style the other parish seems to be mired with.
    For the upcoming Schola Cantorum masses, I've still not decided, but I'm sure it'll be English-language responsorial psalms of a simple plainchant nature- probably not R+A. I'm going for the unaccompanied style, but time will tell how that goes over

PBP is chanted.
    PBP is in English.
    PBP is of a simple plainchant nature.
    There are accompaniments you can use for awhile and someday wean the choir & congregation off.

Sounds like you should use PBP.
    Thanked by 1Continuousbass
  • donr
    I use R+A because the Pastor has told me too. The reasons make sense, he wants what we sing to match (lyrics and melody) the OCP Today's Missal. He likes to be able to read the music while he sings. The only time I use LCM or PBP is for funerals, Weddings, First Friday's etc. when there is no set music in the missal.
    Often times I have to make up my own because there is none to be had for First Friday.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    I have been using R&A for over three decades in two dioceses for the obvious reasons cited above and that Alstott's contibutions have intrinsic merit which few wish to discuss.
    That being said, the era of the pulp missal is waning fast. So if my pastor agrees to "instituting" the Lumen Christi to be carried in by parishioners, and one English hardbound hymnal, presuming the inclusion of a Psalter section, pop question: what do you do?
    The LC psalm, hello? That is what we want in the hands of the people.
    If we go with W4 as the hymnal in the pews, due to consensus, it will take one heckuva psalm setting, unobtrusive, aesthetically to the point and beautiful, and not take five minutes, to displace a chanted responsorial. Heck, in the unlikely event I don't care for one of Adam'sp psalms, I've got 25 years of R&A corporate memory in the PIPs. As long as I pay for the year'd copyright version of the R&A for all involved in that scenario, we're good to go.
  • PaixGioiaAmorPaixGioiaAmor
    Alstott's contibutions have intrinsic merit which few wish to discuss.

In general, or just in terms of the R&A Psalms?

In general, I agree; he could compose. And he's got a few things that are pretty nice.

In terms of R&A? There's maybe 2 or 3 of those, tops, that I find in any way decent. It's puzzling to me because he obviously COULD compose, as I mentioned above. Why, then, does that entire collection seem like it was composed in 24 hours?
  • kenstb
    R and A is okay and so are Gelineau and Guimont. None of them are perfect. I often have to substitute my own melodies or correct the liberties taken with the texts. I prefer the Chabanel psalms. They are really melodic. PGA and Melo, I agree.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    PGA, we've so covered R&A here so many times, it's a bit like beating a carcass. I have no problem with your determining that 2/3 of his psalter are "decent," de gustibus and all that. But, there are so many factors in all of us individually or corporately making such determinations that I really don't see a point in, pardon pun, having more "point/counterpoint" arguments over psalter settings. WLP/Paluch have had a similar pulp missal out since the 70's and never has it gotten any attention. I used it when first coming up through the ranks, and they, as a body, are no better, no worse than R&A.
    Yes, CMAA has the "Beautiful" criterium it advances, but we've proved it impossible to find consensus on issues such as this, and there aren't many current pastors out there who'd say "R&A's lame, so everyone chant the gradual from now on."
  • One parish I serve says R&A is lame, so sing them from the hymnal in an operatic style, which I privately loath. I like the PBP, love the square notes, and will probably go with that for the Schola masses. It will be interesting to hear peoples reaction when they find out there are other works out there for the psalms. I dont know if it would be possible to get a contemporary choir to switch away from the song-type psalms, but at least there will be some amount of curiosity when the time comes around.