Length of Entrance Chant
  • benedictgal
    This discussion may or may not have been tossed around in this forum; however, the subject has been one of consternation in not a few parishes down here. There are some parishes where the Entrance Chant (really, a hymn or a song) goes on into eternity. Ditto for the recessional.

I did some research on the matter. A cursory search on Yahoo yielded a thread in this forum concerning a piece that the late Msgr. Lucien Deiss wrote encouraging lengthy entrance music; however, when I looked up the Motu Propio of Pope St. Pius X, the saintly Pontiff discourages such a practice and reminds us that music is the humble handmaid of the liturgy, not its master.

When I serve as cantor, I time the SEP to end when the celebrant reaches the chair. When I substitute at my parish, I time the entrance processional to also end when the celebrant reaches the chair. However, the regular choir sings on into eternity and the celebrant is waiting until nearly all verses of "Come, Let Us Worship the Lord" or "Alleluia" (Hurd and Kanebo) are finished. At the recessional, I manage to time the hymn to end when the celebrant walks out the door. The regular choirs sing two verses and refrain even well after he has left the building.

Can anyone guide me to something other than the writings of Pope St. Pius X on this matter? It would help settle some serious questions in a couple of places down here. Any help y'all could render would be greatly appreciated.

• Feel free to quote from Rana Verbum:

Quite simply, the propers or hymn should not delay the Mass. They fill the air with sung prayer, but are supportive rather than center stage.

A recessional song by the congregation is fine, as many verses as they will stand for....but the moment one person leaves the pew and the church, then it should stop. This will, with people receiving communion in the express line, 10 items or less and straight out the door, totally eliminate the needless and liturgically inappropriate act of singing at Mass after the Mass is over....

Thanked by 2Ben benedictgal
  • benedictgal
    At the risk of sounding stupid, where do I find Rana Verbum? I am at my wits end with the question of length, almost to the point of tears.
  • DougS
    Rana = frog.
  • benedictgal
    Boy, do I feel dumb...

Seriously, I need to find some sort of documentation other than the MP to back up the idea that the chants cover liturgical actions. This has really been frustrating.
  • CharlesW
    I stop the entrance hymn when the priest reaches the altar, unless he plans to incense it. When it is a hymn that he likes, he stands facing the altar until I reach the last verse. Then he goes behind the altar. These hymns he likes are majestic praise hymns such as "O God Our Help in Ages Past." He wants to sing all six verses.
  • Ranae non clamabunt.

Google Translate is your friend, especially at the Vatican ATM.

• gregpgregp
    Actually, FNJ, we mentioned you in the Sequence a couple of weeks ago:

Fracto demum sacramento,
    ne vacilles sed memento,
    tantum esse sub frogmento,
    quantum toto tegitur.

• oymisim
    I stop when the pastor says to stop. I'd check with yours and/or each presider, they all have a philosophy on this matter like we do. But I've found after almost 30 years of music ministry that you do what the boss wants. We do have a guest presider who waits until the last verse of the recessional chant before turning around to recess out. He made his desires known the very first time without a word having to be spoken!
    Thanked by 1marajoy
  • GavinGavin
    I don't get this nonsense about the "length of the Entrance chant" or "delaying the Mass". For one thing, if the procession can occur in all the time it takes to sing four verses of a 16 measure hymn, maybe the priest should stop running! Processions should be majestic, and not resemble a track and field meet. And how long do a few hymn verses delay things by? A minute? 45 seconds? I reject completely the idea that saving a minute is worth compromising the integrity of a chant or hymn.

It also makes me wonder why the Entrance Hymn must not delay Mass, but we can sing the Qui Habitat tract for 18 minutes with nothing else going on! Find me a hymn that takes even ten minutes to sing, and I'll agree to shorten it a bit.
  • Cantate
    Oh how I long for the reinstatement of the prayers at the foot of the altar...

Especially when incense isn't used, the Gregorian Introit can go on for an awkward amount of time if sung properly. While I agree the tract can often go on for a very long time, it's a completely different animal. It's meant to be a meditation chant. It IS the liturgical action, whereas the Introit ACCOMPANIES the liturgical action. It's my hope that these little disconnects are noticed and rectified little by little. I think it will happen...we've just got to be patient, but not just rest on our laurels. It can be hard to strike that balance sometimes. :-)
  • How kind to mention this....I did sort of feel the urge to croak at an inappropriate time, that must have been why.

Benedictgal, can you come out tonight? (Must be something....I ate) Apologies for the Latin...I sense people's eyes glazing over when we start using the Latin names for the documents...or at least, a second and third eyelid coming down....very froggy.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    The General Instruction of the Roman Missal mentions the beginning and end of the entrance chant:

47. When the people are gathered, and as the Priest enters with the Deacon and ministers, the Entrance Chant begins.
    (...)
    50. When the Entrance Chant is concluded, the Priest stands at the chair and, together with the whole gathering, signs himself with the Sign of the Cross.

There are two observations:
    1. The minimal length of the entrance chant is determined by the duration of the required actions between the start of the procession and the priest standing at the chair, i.e. the procession itself and the reverence to the altar.
    2. The maximal length of the entrance chant isn't governed by the liturgical actions it accompanies. This indicates that the entrance chant is also a ritual action in itself, which is confirmed by what the GIRM has to say about its purpose:

47. (...) Its purpose is to open the celebration, foster the unity of those who have been gathered, introduce their thoughts to the mystery of the liturgical time or festivity, and accompany the procession of the Priest and ministers.

If the entrance antiphon with psalm verses is sung, at least the minimal length of the ritual text provided by the liturgical sources should be sung, i.e. the text of the antiphon alone (cf. De Musica Sacra 21b). When this doesn't cover the length of the procession and reverence to the altar, the entrance chant can be prolonged in one of the following ways (cf. Introduction to the Ordo Cantus Missae 1):
    - add a single psalm verse provided by the Graduale Romanum and repeat the antiphon
    - add a single psalm verse, repeat the antiphon, sing the Gloria Patri and repeat the antiphon one last time
    - add multiple psalm verses, sung alternatively with the antiphon (which may be repeated after each verse or after every other verse), using the Gloria Patri as the final verse. However, the verses should be selected in such a manner, that they form one integral thought (cf. Foreword to the Graduale Simplex 19).

If a hymn is sung as the entrance chant, it should not become too protracted.
  • benedictgal
    Here is what the Motu Propio of Pope St. Pius X says:

VII. The length of the liturgical chant
    22. It is not lawful to keep the priest at the altar waiting on account of the chant or the music for a length of time not allowed by the liturgy. According to the ecclesiastical prescriptions the Sanctus of the Mass should be over before the elevation, and therefore the priest must here have regard for the singers. The Gloria and the Credo ought, according to the Gregorian tradition, to be relatively short.

23. In general it must be considered a very grave abuse when the liturgy in ecclesiastical functions is made to appear secondary to and in a manner at the service of the music, for the music is merely a part of the liturgy and its humble handmaid.

When I spoke to two priests who are more knowledgeable than I am on these matters, they both told me that they concurred with the interpretation of Pope St. Pius X. The first part of the interpretation offered by the previous poster seems to jibe with that. However, even these two priests (one of them who actually works at the CDWDS) do not seem to agree with the second part of the previous poster's interpretation, as both of them noted that the chant accompanies the action. This would certainly be evidenced in the way that the entrance procession and chant are handled during the Papal Masses.

Nonetheless, I need to find something more concrete than going on my gut (I am not NCIS Special Agent Leroy Jethro Gibbs).

Thanked by 1HeitorCaballero
  • Thank you to those who posted. I always time the chant/hymn with the priest. I do not let him wait at the chair. Sometimes it takes only one verse (we have a small church and the aisle is short), and sometimes, for solemnities, it can go a lot longer. It just depends, but once the priest reaches the chair and is ready to say the opening prayer, I resolve the hymn.
  • GavinGavin
    Here's another question for the hymn-cutters: Why do you cut verses? That is, why do you ONLY cut verses and not measures or beats? If the priest is ready for Mass, just stop right where you are and let him get to the important stuff! Whether a I, V7, or V/ii! You are DELAYING THE MASS otherwise! Pius X said so, etc, etc....

It makes just as much sense as cutting verses. You're just playing Musical Chairs in reverse.
  • Cutting stanzas of hymns is one of the first things an Episcopalian notices when visiting a Roman Catholic church. :) Probably noticed by Lutherans, too, and others. Perhaps besides being good traveling music, a hymn has its own integrity as a text: a prayer, poem, meditation. I do like Gavin's idea of lifting your hands if a hymn is expected to be cut off. :)
  • Oh, Gavin - I was visiting a church once, and the pianist did exactly that. When the priest reached his chair, she stopped the hymn - in the middle of a two-syllable word somewhere in the second verse.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I bet it was a very edifying moment.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • soarmarcsoarmarc
    Hi all. Interesting discussion above.. I've recently been experiencing some conflict over the length of Entrance hymns, and in searching for advice I came across this thread.

My pastor has recently asked whether I can shorten the Entrance hymn, and further, whether I can shorten the introduction to the Entrance hymn.

Our church is designed with a "modern" semi-circular layout, such that the length of the nave (if you can call it that) is relatively short. Usually, the procession reaches the foot of the altar before even the first verse of the hymn is finished.

I generally play through the entire hymn tune as an introduction. For a number of reasons, I think this is a good practice. But Father seems to think that shorter would be better.

I also generally like to sing all verses of a hymn whenever possible (I agree with Gavin above) ...but within reason, of course; For Entrance, I choose hymns with at most 4-5 verses. But given our situation, this leaves Father standing at the altar for 2-3 of those verses. So, he has asked that I don't start a new verse after the priest reaches the altar. This means that most Sundays we would sing through at most two verses of the chosen hymn.

I would love to drop the Entrance hymn entirely and just sing the proper chant, but that's not happening anytime soon.

On the one hand, Father seemingly wants to minimize the length of the Mass (e.g. no intros, shorter entrance hymn, no sung Kyrie) [He regularly takes 15 minutes for closing announcements before the end of Mass, but that's another matter]. On the other hand, he wants me to engage the congregation in singing, thus replacing the hymns would get me thrown out.

How do I resolve this apparent paradox? It's like I'm being asked to sing hymns, but prevented from singing them well.
  • BenBen
    At my parish, the MD uses the hymn as a "prelude" of sorts. They sing every verse of the hymn, then the ministers process to the introit, which can of course fit the length of the liturgical action. Perhaps that could kill two birds with one stone?
    Thanked by 1Adam Wood
  • Soarmarc,

Best thing you can do: ask the pastor how you are to accomplish his (seemingly contradictory) instructions. Point out to him that making something short enough to keep him waiting requires the ability to stop quickly -- which a small number of experienced singers can do, and congregations notoriously can not. If the congregation knows the hymn and has no trouble finding it in whatever you're using to house hymns, short play-overs work well. If, however, people need time to flip through the correct book, once they have located it, longer play-over allows time for this.

In my parish (where I'm the organist) I begin whatever I'm playing as the doors to the Church open (from narthex to nave) and intentionally wrap up as Canon travels from altar rail to foot of altar. (EF)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Is he using incense at the beginning? That usually keeps them busy for a while.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • Matthew,

We have the Vidi Aquam (or Asperges me), so that's not a question for my parish.

Chris
  • Andrew_Malton
    Fifteen minutes for announcements!!! That would not go over well chez nous. Longer than the homily.
  • ViolaViola
    Stopping hymns after 2 or 3 verses can lead to odd effects. Example: the Easter hymn 'Bring all ye dear-bought nations...' a loose translation of the Easter sequence. Third verse ends 'Say, happy Magdalen, O say, what didst thou see there by the way?'
    To stop at that verse leaves a bit of an unanswered question. (She takes two verses and 2x6 alleluias to answer). Better to decide in advance which verses to use; in this case 1, 2 and 6 cut out the question and answer completely.
    We have used the whole thing as the Sequence, perhaps a better use than chopping the hymn up.
  • canadashcanadash
    I would also have a sit-down with the pastor and bring forward your difficulties with his suggestions.

I would not play through the whole hymn as an introduction. I would give a brief introduction of four or so measures.

Consider beginning the hymn a couple of minutes prior to the normal start of the procession. Again, this would require a chat with Father. As Ben mentioned, it would solve a couple of problems.

I don't have a problem reducing the number of verses in a hymn, but that is just me. Our pastor asked we do the same. Because we are the last Mass of the morning, it can go overtime. The other Masses can't due to parking.

Our parish does not sing. It seems to me that the parish will sing when the pastor sings. But that is just my experience.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    @soarmarc
    Go over to the Chant Café (through the Forum main page) and search for:
    "circumambulation."
    We instituted it (finally!) on Palm Sunday, and it is now SOProcedure, Deo gratias.
    Of course, if your celebrants are of a mind to "get in, get out," well....good luck.
  • soarmarcsoarmarc
    Thanks all. Will definitely be having a chat with Father.

@matthewj - Incense? Ha! He gets complaints from people who are "allergic". Probably the same people who complain about singing an extra verse. For Holy Week, we had to specially announce in advance that incense would be used on Holy Thursday and Easter Vigil.

@ Andrew Malton - Sometimes we even have Father make his announcements, followed by another speaker, and then followed by yet another speaker! (Everything is in the bulletin, of course, but who reads that, right?) Oh, and my pastor's homilies are regularly longer than 15 minutes.

@melofluent: It seems that the circumambulation plan presumes that: a) the sacristy is adjacent to the sanctuary (or otherwise at the front of the church), and b) the length of the aisle is long enough to allow an entire hymn/chant to be sung. Neither of these are true in our church. So, instituting this would require the procession to either walk really slowly (which is not a bad thing) or make an extra loop around the church.
  • OraLabora
    @soarmarc

The nice thing about Mass in a Benedictine abbey is that it's a conventual Mass; it's their Mass, so complaints about incense or other liturgical choices have zero effect...unless they're made during the canonical visit :-) If the degree of solemnity calls for it (i.e. Sundays, feasts and solemnities) it's used, otherwise it isn't.

Since this abbey is of the Solesmes congregation which takes liturgy very seriously indeed, I tend to rely on them a lot for what our schola should do (both myself and our choirmaster are oblates of the abbey). For the entrance procession, the schola sings the introit, and usually one psalm verse. Then after the procession is over and everyone is in his stall, the antiphon is repeated by all. If it's a very short antiphon, a second verse may be sung; conversely if it's very long antiphon the verse may be omitted altogether. The point is that the chant supports the liturgical action and is adjusted to fit it, not the other way around.

There is no recessional hymn/chant. The abbey sings the Gregorian propers and ordinary. The recessional is a brief organ piece except during Advent or Lent, when the monks process out in silence (which I rather like more). The organ is also played for about 10 minutes before Mass starts, again in the appropriate seasons. The organ is only used on Sundays, feasts and solemnities.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    make an extra loop around the church.

Good catch, soarmarc. I gotta counter tho'. Have you ever been to a three hour Russian Orthodox Divine Liturgy in Russia? As regard's loops, I don't think they think "extra" is a bad thing.
  • benedictgal
    When my Dad's pastor came back after surgery, Father asked me to sing something short, long enough to cover his walking from the sacristy door to the altar. The Simple English Propers (sans verses) came in handy. Since then, I have been chanting them. I don't do the complete verses, as one is enough to cover everything, unless he is using incense.

When we do an overload of music, we run the risk of making the music more important than the act. Remember. The music is only supposed to cover the activity, not be something in and of itself.

My suggestion? Use the Simple English Propers. They can be lengthened and shortened as needed.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    On the other hand, he wants me to engage the congregation in singing...
    Our sympathies are with you! Presumably he's already heard hints about his example being the most influential thing that can be done for congregational singing.
    ...the risk of making the music more important than the act.
    This seems to invite all sorts of silliness, unless one has an exaggerated estimation of the importance of covering 30 yards or so. If the congregation is being invited to 'enter' into worship by singing a hymn, then the music is the act.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen Gavin
  • chonakchonak
    Is it thinkable to play an instrumental for the procession and encourage the congregation to sing the _dialogues_ and the rest of the Mass ordinary? That would be both more expeditious and more focused on what's important.
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Or one could just choose hymns with only 2-3 verses.

Aren't enough for the year? Commission Pluth or Wood to write some texts and pair them with classic tunes.
    Thanked by 2Adam Wood Gavin
  • hilluminar
    The Lalamant book of Propers from CC Watershed have very short, very dignified Introits. They are what I use because it takes the priest about two seconds to walk from the sacristy to the altar.
  • dad29
    Is it thinkable to play an instrumental for the procession

Yes, but then that "Sing the Mass" stuff is not operative.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • hartleymartin
    The general rule in my parish church is to finish the verse of the hymn being sung once the priest has reached the chair, but only if at least 3 verses of the hymn have been sung. It is rather pointless to sing only one or two verses of a hymn.

One priest I know actually likes a whole hymn to be sung and will join in singing the hymn during the procession and whilst standing at the chair. After some months I've figured out roughly how many verses of a hymn need to be sung at the entrance and how many will fit at the Offertory and Communion without unduly delaying the liturgy and I choose the hymns accordingly.

For example:

"The Lord's My Shepherd" (CRIMOND) will fit the offertory almost exactly with the introduction and all 5 verses, but I will only get 3 verses of "Praise the Lord, the Almighty" (LOBE DEN HERREN) or "Alleluia Sing to Jesus" (HYFRYDOL) But knowing this, I know that "Love Divine, All Loves Excelling" fits the length of the offertory perfectly.

At the entrance, I know that four verses of OLD HUNDRETH will fit reasonably, so I omit the doxology verse from "All People That on Earth Do Dwell" but include it for "All Hail Adored Trinity."

It basically all comes down to experience, which will mean going a bit too long sometimes and sometimes having to be prepared to play a coda onto the hymn to lengthen it out.
  • VII. The length of the liturgical chant
    22. It is not lawful to keep the priest at the altar waiting on account of the chant or the music for a length of time not allowed by the liturgy. According to the ecclesiastical prescriptions the Sanctus of the Mass should be over before the elevation, and therefore the priest must here have regard for the singers. The Gloria and the Credo ought, according to the Gregorian tradition, to be relatively short.

23. In general it must be considered a very grave abuse when the liturgy in ecclesiastical functions is made to appear secondary to and in a manner at the service of the music, for the music is merely a part of the liturgy and its humble handmaid.

Thank you very much :)
    Thanked by 1benedictgal
  • benedictgal
    Thank you for posting this quote. I was going to dig it up, myself. The problem is that the OCP and GIA planning guides almost always fail to take this into account. That is why the antiphons work so well.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thank you for posting this quote. I was going to dig it up, myself. The problem is that the OCP and GIA planning guides almost always fail to take this into account.

Dear MMR, nice to have you posting again. It would have been good had Heitor mentioned the source for contextual purposes. "Planning guides," with the possible sole-exception of Gary Penkala/CanticaNova, are virtually useless and a dedicated musician would eschew all of them. However, in light of Heitor's citation, one would have to concede that much of the polyphonic/baroque/classical etc. Mass Ordinary settings would be subject to the same legal strictures. That's very problematic, unnecessarily so. Ecclesiastes Rule: there's a time for the ICEL/Jubilate Deo Mass, and there's a time for a Vierne orchestral Mass. Choose wisely.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • benedictgal
    True. The Vierne orchestral Mass works well when you have huge processions (diocesan Masses with nearly all of the clergy -priests and deacons; Papal Masses with cardinals and bishops). For the regular Sunday Mass, unless it is a big event where the bishop shows up to the parish, the regular ICEL/Jubilate Deo works just fine.
  • MatthewRoth
    My pastor waits up to two or three verses because he and the music director hate truncating hymns, so the Introit is timed to when he gets to the sanctuary or is incensing.

If you are in a place using a long polyphonic or orchestral Mass on a Sunday, I suspect you aren’t in too much of a hurry and that the priest will do as much as he can to work with the selections (even if he can’t say the Canon under the Sanctus, for instance).
  • Paul_D
    Guidelines for Liturgical Music in Canada are published in the CCCB's "A Companion to the Catholic Book of Worship III". Number 35 states: " ... Normally, the entire song is sung; at the very least, several verses need to be sung so that the assembly has a genuine experience of being united in their sung prayer. ... In keeping with the nature and purpose of the entrance song, it is recommended that the assembly sing the song in its entirely. On occasion, the assembly may alternate with the choir or cantor." You should read the rest to get the context.

In the opinion of the bishops (and indeed GIRM 46-47), it is not sufficient to equate the purpose of the Entrance Chant entirely with the procession of the priest and ministers; rather, the above guideline seeks to go beyond the functional purpose of "travelling music", and seeks to realize all the purposes of the Entrance Chant given in GIRM 46-47, not just one of these (i.e. accompanying movement).

I suspect that it never occurs to your pastor that there are such norms, and that they should be consulted. I hope he will be open to a discussion.

• soarmarcsoarmarc
    @Paul_D: I didn't know that there existed published CCCB guidelines for liturgical music. You'd think they could make such things more readily available. Any idea where I could acquire a copy?
  • Andrew_Malton
    The Companion to the Catholic Book of Worship was published in 2009. Its ISBN is 978-0-88997-520-0. It's out of print: not to be found at CCCB Publications, nor any second hand book sellers either, it seems.
  • Paul_D
    Too bad your parish did not acquire one. The CCCB has indicated that they will be republishing the guidelines updated according to the new GIRM. It will not be published as a companion to the CBW III so that it will be clearer that it does not apply to that hymnbook alone. Perhaps that publication will be the occasion of a conversation with your pastor.
  • soarmarcsoarmarc
    If and when supplemental guidelines do get published, I would hope that they are made as freely available as the GIRM. Even better would be a statement or mandate from the Archbishop requiring their use. Otherwise, they will be ignored in most parishes, just as the GIRM itself is ignored, in the interest of "practical" and "pastoral" considerations.
  • mahrt
    I think a distinction needs to be made between proper and ordinary. Propers in general accompany an action. A Gregorian introit has psalm verses, which can be used if the procession and incensation of the altar has not been finished. The ordinary does not accompany anything else, but IS the liturgical action; it does not hold anythng up, because it is the only thing happening at that time. Thus, the ideal might be to cultivate the singing of the ordinary by the congregation and leave the proper to the choir. This of course is probably done only gradually.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    done only gradually.

• benedictgal
    Now for the flip side. What about the recessional? There continues to be a debate in my parish about how long this should be. My parochial vicar is of the opinion that the music should be long enough to cover his exit. We don't have to sing 17 verses of it. Even the Roman Missal is silent on this.