Confiteor before Communion in 1962 Missal
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    St. John Cantius Society has stated that ECCELSIA DEI allows the so-called "Second Confiteor" (or the 3rd, depending on how one looks at it).

"Although not in the 1962 Missale Romanum, the Confiteor before the Communion of the Faithful has been approved for use by the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei."

Does anyone have a reference for this?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    * bump *
  • dad29
    That would be MOST helpful. I had a discussion about that very topic with the founder of the Cantians, who did NOT mention this 'approval' for some reason or other. That was a few years ago.

From the liturgical standpoint, there is no good reason for it. The shriving during the prayers at the foot of the altar is sufficient. That 'late Confiteor/shriving' was insinuated into the rite for the benefit of "daily communicants"--who did not actually attend the entire Mass, but just showed up for communion.

By all means, let us see the cite!!
  • Mark P.
    It is my understanding that the Confiteor immediately preceeding Holy Communion was because this rite was imported from the Roman Ritual (Holy Communion outside of Mass).
  • ClemensRomanusClemensRomanus
    I believe it's allowed if it's a long-standing custom.
  • Chrism
    Since this question was posted in the music forum, I assume you are referring to the Sung Confiteor before Communion at Solemn Masses, which was never suppressed.
  • dad29
    What "long-standing"??

The EF was quashed for well over 30 years, remember?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    "Since this question was posted in the music forum, I assume you are referring to the Sung Confiteor before Communion at Solemn Masses, which was never suppressed."

It does not appear in the 1962 Missal, so I assume it makes no difference whether Solemn Mass or Low Mass, correct?
  • CharlesW
    I remember the reason given for its removal. It was said at the time that it was redundant and an accretion. Therefore, it was being removed.
  • Chrism
    The Sung Confiteor is retained in the Caeremoniale.
    Thanked by 1BachLover2
  • Mark P. is correct about its origins, at least according to Jungmann.

Why would anyone WANT to include it? Removing it was one of the first goals of the liturgical movement because it came after the communion of the priest and reflected the view that the communion of the people was something extra, added to the Mass when it seemed appropriate. High Masses without communion were the norm; and before Pius X communion was more often given to the people outside Mass than during Mass.

The people are in not shriven by the Confiteor at the beginning of the Mass. The Prayers at the Foot of the Altar were the private preserve of the ministers. In the old rite the choir was singing the introit while they were in progress. The idea that the people need to participate in a penitential exercise before receiving communion at Mass was, however, of very late origin. Up until the time when communion of the laity became infrequent the ordinary of the Roman Mass did not include any penitential exercises.

Why do so many advocates of improved liturgical music in the Roman Catholic Church fail to recognize (along with the Council Fathers) that the Roman rite was in NEED of reform? The product of the reform may in some respects be unsatisfactory, but a return to the status quo ante will not make all things right.

Music in most American parishes before Vatican II, by the way, was about as deplorable as it is now. See Thomas Day, Why Catholics Can't Sing.
  • JahazaJahaza
    The EF was quashed for well over 30 years, remember?

Except that it wasn't. This is one of the central legal points of Universae Ecclesiae. But even leaving that aside, the revised missal wasn't issued until 1970 and even at the time there was an indult for elderly priests. The Quattuor abhinc annos indult was promulgated in 1984 and the broader Ecclesia Dei adflicta indult in 1988. Some of the former "indult communities" are themselves now approaching 30 years old.

Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Liam
    Yes, but customs are not determined on a community-by-community basis but at diocese+ basis (a jurisdiction that is capable of legislating and receiving particular law, at least according to canonists that I've read discussing this issue); there's more to the exceptions for custom than meets the eye. (Btw, this is a good thing, because otherwise all sorts of "customs" would be entitled to deference that most of us here would blanche at.)
  • GavinGavin
    "Music in most American parishes before Vatican II... was about as deplorable as it is now. "

If not worse. I still assert things have only improved since the 1960s - though there's still a long way to go!
  • Aga
    I attach the file with the answer received from the Ecclesia Dei commission.
    2496 x 3496 - 368K
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Thank you, Aga. I have been told that Ecc. Dei also issued a contradictory statement, but I am searching for the documentation.
  • Thanks, Aga; I'm glad to see that PCED is answering letters from the year 20074. Somebody page Zager and Evans.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • One has to be careful about taking each personal letter from the PCED as if it resolves a question across the board. If the reasoning is expressed in a way that is universally valid, then it is fair to assume that the PCED would consistently give the same answer to the same query. The letter shared by Aga is exactly such a case: this does not speak about customs or permissions, but simply points out the obvious fact that the 1962 rubrics omitted the Confiteor before communion (as was quite reasonable to do -- Bruce is entirely right), and we have been given permission to use THIS Missal, not some other that more chimes with our fancy.

If those who love tradition cannot be obedient to simple rubrics, what kind of restoration and example are we really providing?

My point about being careful with PCED letters, though, can be illustrated by the fact that there is also a PCED letter somewhere out there that gives permission for the Pater Noster to be chanted in full by the congregation. Yet this is in conflict with the 1962 missal's rubrics, and begins to express a mentality that is arguably foreign to the usus antiquior, where the priest chants the Pater Noster as the representative of Christ the Head of the Church who taught us this prayer.

Anyway... Say the Black, Do the Red!
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    I'm sick and tired of hearing the canard that 'music in most American parishes before Vatican II was about as deplorable as it is now.' This notion is bogus. Even poorly performed psalm tones and Mass VIII are infinitely better, more liturgical, and holier than the 'sacro-pop' and 'praise and worship' that has infested 99% of Catholic parishes. I notice that the two gentleman putting forth this idea (see above) are not Catholics and don't attend Mass in the Catholic church (that is my understanding, at least, but I will stand corrected if I err here). Not that this makes any difference to the historical realities, but it is interesting. Let's all agree to put this canard to bed permanently. To say that the third Confiteor is alien to the Catholic liturgy and 'has to go' is to simply ignore liturgical history. As with many liturgical items, there are reasons for it and against it. Alcuin Reid is good on this.
    Thanked by 2Felicity CCooze
  • ProfKwasniewski: My understanding has always been that when a letter like this one is given a protocol number it gets printed in Notitiae and is intended to be more than a purely private response. (Though since I've never so much as seen a physical copy of Notitiae, maybe I'm completely off base.)

Anyway, if one were really to say the black and do the red, then the second confiteor would necessarily be omitted, since no. 503 of the Rubricae generales of the 1962 Missale expressly declares:

Quoties sancta Communio infra Missam distribuitur, celebrans, sumpto sacratisso Sanguine, omissis confessione et absolutione, dictis tamen Ecce Agnus Dei et ter Domine, non sum dignus, immediate ad distributionem sanctae Eucharistiae procedit.

Whenever holy Communion is distributed within the Mass, the celebrant, having received the most sacred Blood, the confession and absolution having been omitted, the Ecce Agnus Dei and triple Domine, non sum dignus however being said, immediately proceeds to the distribution of the holy Eucharist.
  • I direct two sung masses every Sunday, according to the '62 missal. Recently we started using
    the added confiteor, partly because it is permitted, though not in the rubrics.
    I have seen no reason to stir the pot at the parish, but I will say my personal opinion here.
    It strikes me as odd and out of place at a sung mass to have it. I would consider it to be exactly the kind of thing that needed reform.

I also question some of the assertions made above regarding the involvenment of the faithful. To say that the faithful do not participate in penitential prayers would mean ignoring their responding, singing or joining their hearts to the singing of the Kyrie, for one thing...

It is odd to observe that many of the people who criticize the EF manifestly do not have regular or even recent prayer experiences in that form. I would politely suggest that as this older mass becomes more popular among the faithful, liturgy scholars and 'liturgy geeks' of all stripes would be wise to experience it more regularly.
  • CharlesW
    Being old enough to have been there, music could be as deplorable before Vatican II as it is now. It could also be very good. Music was, as it is still, dependent on place. Some parishes had good music before, during, and after the Council. I am fortunate enough to be in one of those parishes. On the other hand, I know of some parishes that have never had decent music, and likely never will.

As to reforming the pre-1962 mass, the council fathers believed it needed reforms, and had the legitimate authority to reform it - and they did. It's a done deal, and all the carping is after the fact by people who have no authority.
    Thanked by 1Gavin
  • rob
    Thank you for all the comments; they have been very instructive.

From a subjective perspective, although I understand the history and plain language of this Confiteor to be "penitential", it seems -- on the rare occasions I have heard it -- to partake less of the less of the intent and spirit of the Kyrie, for example, and more of the Non Sum Dignus (i.e. a prayer of humble access/worthy reception, as found still in some forms of Protestant service).

For what it's worth, it did not strike me at all as odd and out of place, but beautifully integrated into the liturgical action. Based on the comments above, though, I'm not sure if it's actually permitted under any of applicable rubrics.
  • rob
    P.S. I'd second Mrs. Wilson's suggestion that those of us who have never experienced the EF personally, attend several Masses in that form. Having only known it through the criticisms of my elders, I was surprised by how fitting and relevant it seemed to remain. The celebration ad orientem and in Latin, in particular, did not strike me at all as I expected they would. My judgment of the silent canon (and, on occasion, the divided Sanctus/Benedictus) is still under consideration.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • Certainly in the majority of FSSP parishes, the 2nd confiteor before communion is observed. The permission for this is found in their Liturgical Ordo which comes out every year from the FSSP. After 10 years working for the FSSP, and the dozens of FSSP priests I've seen celebrate Mass, I have never seen it omitted. The ordo does make it clear that it is not however, required.
  • Jeffrey, is it sung or recited at St. Stephen's?

It is spoken at St. Anne's. Again, I'm not desirous of questioning out loud save for discussing it with my pastor and mentioning it on this forum.

As I experience it spoken, with no singing responses or choir parts covering the action, it seems like a moment of low mass inserted into a sung mass. I simply find it odd. But again, it's new to our parish. And, for 1-2 solemn masses, it has been sung. So I'm thinking perhaps it is intended to be sung at sung masses and our servers haven't gotten around to it yet?
  • MaryAnn- The confiteor is only sung if it is a SOLEMN High Mass(with deacon and sub-deacon). At Low Masses, and at a Missa Cantata (what is more colloquially called a "High Mass") it is only recited. The Solemn High Mass is the Mass which is meant to be normative in the classical Roman Rite. However, as most parishes do not have the forces to do "Solemn" on most Sundays, what has become most common is the Missa Cantata/High Mass. The use of incense used to not be allowed at these Masses except with a special dispensation, showing that theses masses were considered something of a hybrid between a Solemn High Mass and a Low Mass, though for the choir there is no difference of course, all the propers and ordinary must still be sung. In the Solemn High Mass, the deacon sings the 2nd Confiteor.
    Thanked by 1Felicity
  • Thanks, Jeffrey. I should have asked Fr. G why it wasn't sung; it just hasn't been high on my priorities what with Holy Week and all.
    I am glad to know why it's not being sung at sung mass/ missa cantata, why it has been at the few recent solemn masses we've had,and I think this info will help with my attitude about it. Mille grazie.
  • chonakchonak
    This discussion has been idle for four years, but a fresh commentary from Jeff Ostrowski has made it current again:

"Confiteor Before Communion • Should It Be Done?"
    http://www.ccwatershed.org/blog/2016/jul/2/pre-communion-confiteor-should-it-be-done/

In his essay, Jeff quotes the Ritus Servandus of the 1962 Missale (section 503), which expressly directs the priest to omit the Confiteor before the distribution of Holy Communion. He then discusses various explanations proposed to justify retaining it, and finally he mentions the guidance of an FSSP master of ceremonies who told him that they never add this Confiteor during Low Masses at the Fraternity's seminary. It's an informative piece.

It left one question unresolved: has the Pontifical Commission "Ecclesia Dei" ever given permission for retaining this "second Confiteor"?

That provoked my curiosity a bit, so I unleashed my Google-fu skills to seek out some information on the point, and actually found some.

A December 3, 2010 post on the website "Nowy Ruch Liturgiczny" (the Polish counterpart to our New Liturgical Movement) cites a question from a priest to the Commission about the "second Confiteor", and also quotes the approval he received. Here is a minimal excerpt:

[...] on August 24, [2010,] Fr. Konstantyn Najmowicz of the Institute of the Good Shepherd asked the following questions to the Pontifical Commission Ecclesia Dei:

1. I would like to ask if is it acceptable to use in Masses sung and recited the second Confiteor before the rite of Communion of the faithful? [...]

The Commission's reply of November 20 reads:

With reference to your letter of August 24 last, this Pontifical Commission is pleased to inform you that to the first question submitted by you the response is affirmative.

source: http://www.nowyruchliturgiczny.pl/2010/12/sprawa-iii-confiteor.html
    (Translation mostly by Google; partly by me.)

[Postscript: Fr. Najmowicz himself appears to have posted the text of his letter, written in German, at this site: http://krzyz.nazwa.pl/forum/index.php/topic,808.msg110851.html#msg110851 , along with the response in Italian.]
  • MatthewRoth
    That is more permissive than the previous reply, which was to permit it where it was the custom. The ICRSS always uses it. The FSSP uses it sometimes. It is used less often in Europe, I gather, even at Pontifical Mass, the reason being that the remaining rubric of the Pontifical (of obligation also at Solemn High Mass) is an oversight on the part of the editors of the 1962 edition of the rubrics.

Diocesan TLMs that I have attended always omit it, but my pastor does bows at the Trinity and Holy Name to the cross.
  • chonakchonak
    Which previous reply do you mean? The 2007 letter appearing above doesn't talk about custom and says simply that it should be discontinued.
  • MatthewRoth
    There was a reply even before that. I assume the FSSP sent it, upon inheriting places which did or did not use it, rather like the FSSP itself, whereas the ICRSS defaults to using it. (I admit I haven’t read the links yet because I am on my phone.)
  • dad29
    A well-known priest/legitimate liturgist in this area has made it clear: the 'third confiteor' was eliminated in the 1962 Rite. He also mentioned "daily communicants" who would arrive at the 6:00 AM Mass around 6:25 or so, just in time for the 'third confiteor' and the shriving following--and communion. That doesn't explain the usage on Sundays, of course, but it's an interesting side-note to the conversation.
  • MatthewRoth
    I also don’t really care what the 1962 law is insofar as what is omitted goes, so long as we don’t go past what is permitted, and even then, I don’t tell priests everything, because it will anger the people and me, the MC, and the quality of the celebration suffers. For example. did you know the readings can be read at Sung Mass per a 1960 indult? I did, and I never tell clergy that. Clergy, forget you just saw that! So, that’s my stake in this.
  • chonakchonak
    [Sssh.]
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Our priests figured that out on their own.
    That, and that they can read them in the vernacular, if they decide to.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Shouldn't it have been written this way:
    For example. did you know the readings can be read at Sung Mass per a 1960 indult?
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • PLTT
    Some minor quibbles with the article on CCW:

-While the rite for distributing Holy Communion was not found within the Ordo Missae, the description was/is in the Ritus Servandus. The 1962 Ritus clearly omits the sections calling for the absolution before Holy Communion.

- Of the 6 suggestions, I think only (2) is really tenable. Custom is widely misunderstood and explicitly suppressed rubrics often cannot be revived due to custom (which also has to begin from the moment of suppression, and has all other kinds of conditions attached to it). Also, causing rubrics to fall into desuetude and reviving those suppressed are two different things. The priest is not allowed to add things in the Traditional rites (one thinks of the famous denial of silently saying "My Lord and my God" at the elevation to gain the indulgence). The absolution was indeed forbidden as the rubric wording indicates (if omitting something cannot be said to forbid it, then that would overturn the very idea of rubrics). The Confiteor - contrary to widespread Traditionalist custom - was also omitted during Solemn High Masses in 1962. If you look at old videos created during that time, you will notice this. The Confiteor could be used at other times in Pontifical rites as well - for example, before the bishop granted an indulgence after preaching. (That is the pontifical rite in the Ceremoniale for which the tone is printed)

That the Confiteor was also considered supressed is evident from further decrees of the Congregation of Rites deciding on its recitation in certain specific rites (such as Good Friday).

Really speaking, the reasons people often give as often ex post facto in order to retain something that they want to. It is like Traditional Tenebrae - I know of no place that does it that observes the changes of 1957 and 1961.

• MatthewRoth
    But, I think that it is not a matter of pure personal preference from the Anglo–American view (the French are notoriously idiosyncratic). It is about the tradition, and it is the case for many people that the changes under Pope Pius XII & John XXIII are in need of reversal. For examples, for Doctors and St. Mary Magdalene, would it be so bad to sing the Credo? That was suppressed in 1960 & 1955 respectively. This would have the effect of elevating the latter to a double of the 2nd class as far as the rites go, which is equal to its new status in the Novus Ordo; of course, it would get suppressed by Sunday, since it was a double major (3rd class in 1962), just like it would in the 1962 rite (since it was not a day of precept or a feast of the Lord) though were it a double of the 2nd class it would take precedence over Sunday in the 1910–1955 scheme. I’m not waiting around for Rome to give permission to revive the traditional practice, and one risks the awful new preface for St. Mary Magdalene being inserted.
  • BGP
    Wow, Ostrowski has yet to “attend a single EF Mass omitting the Pre-Communion Confiteor.” I don’t remember attending one where it was used. (I suspect some of the ones I attended in the early 2000s may have had it, and I’m quite certain the ones I’ve attended post 2007 have not included it). Masses said by the FFI do not include them. Neither do the young recently ordained diocesan priests here include it.

I think the desire to include it is largely fueled by the belief that excluding it was an innovation. My understanding is that it entered the Mass under Pius X, hardly immemorial tradition. This seems to me something rather minor with all the other things we need to be working on.

Here is another article on the subject- https://athanasiuscm.org/2014/07/28/what-is-the-2nd-confiteor/
  • Protasius
    It did not enter Mass under Pius X; if you look in the 1600 Caeremoniale Episcoporum you will see it is mentioned explicitly with chant notation in the part on Easter Sunday - which back then would have been about the only day in the church year Communion was administered in the context of Pontifical/Solemn/High Mass.

What changed with Pius X was a tremendous increase of the frequency of Communion - some daily communicants, others like ten times a year; still a lot more than once a year on Easter Sunday. Even then it was - in Europe at least - not customary to administer Holy Communion ad (Solemn) High Mass; that would have taken place at an earlier Low Mass, not in the least because of the Eucharistic Fast from Midnight on, which was in force until sometime in World War II.