Has Anyone Seen This: Rite of Christian Burial for Pre-Born Babies Who Have Died in the NRM?
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    I'm doing a mass on Thursday (in two days) for a family who lost their unborn baby through miscarriage. I need to prepare the music tonight or early tomorrow morning. The Priest said there is a specific rite in the New Roman Missal for unborn babies. I don't have a copy of the missal yet - has anyone seen this form? And if so, could you scan the rite and email it me? Please and many, many thanks.
  • chonakchonak
    I didn't find that in the Missal; but there is a set of propers for a child who dies prior to baptism. Since that also applies, I post it here.
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze CHGiffen
  • Masses for the Dead: For the funeral: For the funeral of a child who died before baptism

Entrance Antiphon (Revelation 21:4): God will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, crying or pain, for former things have passed away.

Collect (first option): Receive the prayers of your faithful, Lord, and grant that those you allow to be weighed down by their longing for the child taken from them may be raised up by faith to hope in your compassion. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

Collect (second option): O God, searcher of hearts and most loving consoler, who know the faith of these parents, grant that, as they mourn their child, now departed from this life, they may be assured that he/she has been entrusted to your divine compassion. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

Prayer over the Offerings: Graciously accept this offering, O God, as a sign of our devotion, so that, trusting in the designs of your providence, we may be raised up by your gentle and fatherly care. Through Christ our Lord.

Communion Antiphon (Isaiah 25:8): The Lord God will destroy death for ever. He will wipe away the tears from every cheek.

Prayer after Communion: Having received the Communion of your Son’s Body and Blood, O Lord, we ask you faithfully to comfort amid the sorrows of this life those whom you have graciously nourished by these sacred mysteries, so as to strengthen their hope of life eternal. Through Christ our Lord.
    Thanked by 2tomboysuze CHGiffen
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Thanks very much for the information and help. It appears the form is the same as Sunday Mass? There is no final commendation or prayers? The body of this little soul will be present at the mass. So, I'm wondering if there is any provision for prayers around the casket - the Song of Farewell or the In Paradisum. By the way, which missal is the best one to buy? I seem to recall a post on chant cafe with pictures of a rather beautifully done version. The one on the USCCB web site has that typically awful "wood block religious art" that is the bane of my existence. Ok, just one of the banes. But an important one, non-the-less.
    Thanked by 1PurpleSquirrel
  • BenBen
    If you have a bigger budget for one, go for the Midwest Theological Forum ($500). For lower budgets, Magnificat ($200) is great. I've held and used both first hand. MTF is by far the best though.

Even though it's a little cheaper than the Magnificat, don't go with the LTP. It doesn't lie open very well, and it feels cheap compared to the Magnificat.

I've also heard great reviews of the CTS, but I have no first hand experience with it.
    Thanked by 1tomboysuze
  • Liam
    CTS has texts, instructions and propers for the UK, not the USA.....
    Thanked by 1Ben
  • chonakchonak
    Priests buying a missal should note that there are problems with music layout in some editions. See this thread for images and a discussion of the problem.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • tomboysuzetomboysuze
    Thanks all. Appreciate the info.
  • aria
    Does anyone have music for the antiphon texts posted above? Thanks.