catholic organist compensation
  • kas
    Hello,

I was wondering what organists in the Catholic parishes are being compensated. I began playing in my home parish for $30 per service. 11 years later the rate is only at $50. When I substituted in a few Protestant churches back as far as 30 years ago - I was already getting $60+ per service. I believe that the $50 rate is still very low. A survey I did a few years ago pretty well substantiates this belief, but I thought that perhaps I could get some newer insight as to what parish musicians are being paid. My church has probably about 650 families at this point. I play full-time every Sunday.

Thanks for any replies.
  • According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator, $30 in the year 2000 had the same buying power that $39.45 does today. So if the rates have risen from $30 to $50, then that actually represents a 25% increase in the time-adjusted value that is being paid.

That's not to offer any comment on whether $50 in 2011 is a good rate; only that it's 25% better than $30 was in 2000.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    These are recommendations from the Milwaukee chapter of the AGO:

The chapter recommends the following minimum fees:

$100-175 for one service (may include brief pre-service rehearsal)
    $ 75-125 for each additional service on the same day
    $ 35- 60 for same day rehearsal exceeding 30 minutes
    $ 75-100 for rehearsal on a separate day
    $150-200 for funeral or memorial service (may include brief pre-service rehearsal)
    $200-300 for wedding service (may include brief pre-service rehearsal)
    $ 50- 75 per hour for special preparations or rehearsals on a separate day
  • kas
    Mark...well I guess that is one way to look at it! Thanks for the reply.
    irishtenor....my local AGO has similar recommendations. I'm wondering though how many churches out there are actually paying AGO-recommended wages. For those who have salaried positions, I would imagine it could break down to the per-service fee given. I'd be overwhelmed to get $100, and yet I know that is the going rate in my area for substitute organists....in all but the Catholic churches. Thanks.
  • In Germany I am paid 10 € for a weekday service and 15 € for a Sunday service at my parish, which is 13,40 $ resp. 21 $.
  • Mike R
    $50 per Mass is the standard here.
  • CharlesW
    My church doesn't even hire substitutes. If I am away, they do without.
  • I think that $50 is too low nowadays. Even when I was in high school (14 years ago) I was making $75.

On the other hand, I'm hesitant to go with AGO standards for pay. I've never seen a Catholic parish that lives up to them in my life.
  • DougS
    It's really hard to make comparisons from one geographical area to another because local expectations can vary widely.
  • That's true, and to be fair, AGO (national) has indicated that their pay scale is specifically for the median city in the country (whatever it happens to be that year). It's possible to scale it from there.
  • rich_enough
    I believe the fees posted by irishtenor are those for a substitute organist, which are generally higher than what a regular organist would get. (There are also variables if the person substituting is only playing the organ or also directing a choir, etc). My position in a Catholic church was advertised as paying according to AGO guidelines, and this is (more or less) what I receive; my subsitutes, however, get about 50% more than what I earn per mass. As far as I know, the AGO does not issue guidelines for fee per service for regular church musicians, only guidelines for salary.

It can be complicated to apply the AGO guidelines to a Catholic context, since with many Catholic jobs, half the time for a "10 hour per week" organist position can be put into playing 5 or more masses per weekend - something unheard of in most non-Catholic churches. In other words, it may or may not be helpful to think in terms of fee per service. If an organist is paid the AGO standard for an organist with a B. A. of $20,000 / year for 5 masses per weekend, for example (approx. 275 masses per year with holy days etc), this comes out to $72 per mass; if the position called for 3 masses per weekend instead (200 masses per year), that would be $100 per mass. Of course, it is worth asking whether both positions should be regarded as "10 hours per week," but they are often treated as such.

At the risk of sounding elitist, I have to say that $50 per mass seems criminally low to me. The last time I was paid that was when I subbed in college back in the early 1990s, and this was not at a particularly affluent parish. I have asked for higher compensation at a number of parishes and usually received it. I am no susperstar organist by any stretch, but think that the musicians should be paid at least what the plumber gets per call.
  • marajoymarajoy
    My husband makes $50 a Mass, and he works at an extremely large, suburban parish. (I think it's a ridiculous amount, and I think he only tolerates it b/c it's not his primary job, and he does really enjoy it.)
    I think that $75 is more the standard around here, and I will take a service for that amount, but I always hope for $100.

yeah, AGO standards... ? I wish!

ETA: rich_enough-- good point, and good breakdown.
  • Organist at a parish in the surrounding Madison,WI area: $50,000 plus housing. This was the compensation about 5 years ago. (That organist is not me.)
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    My parish is so small as to not have a full time priest.

We have no building.

Our official membership is about 125 people, and our normal Sunday attendance is about 80.

My organist gets paid $125 per service.
    So do I.

$250 divided by 125 registered members.
    Imagine if, at your parish, $2 per service per registered member was put into the music salary budget.

Did I mention it's an Episcopal parish?

This is one of the reasons so many fine Catholic musicians have found work in non-Catholic parishes.
  • GavinGavin
    Just crunched the numbers, considering pledges as opposed to attendees. My Episcopal church is rather larger, but our per person spending on the total music budget is about the same, if not greater.

Imagine a Catholic church where each parishioner gave $2/week towards the music program. What would THAT sound like?
  • CharlesW
    Gavin said, "Imagine a Catholic church where each parishioner gave $2/week towards the music program. What would THAT sound like?"

One of the signs of the end times from the Apocalypse?
  • When I was the organist at a local parish, I was getting $70 per mass and played 3 masses a weekend. That was just for me to show up and play. They were interested in me starting a choir, and was willing to pay me $125 for a rehearsal a week. Looking back, I think that was even low, since by getting paid per service, you are not fairly compensated for the numerous hours it takes to plan the music and practice for it. Any future position I accept would either need to be salaried or paid hourly based on the actual number of hours I work a week...not just the time you actually spend playing.
  • ghmus7
    Here in Texas, at least in the larger cities, the rate is around $100-150 per mass. I have taken less, and have been paid more on occasion.
  • Catholic churches here in the S.Fco Bay area don't pay AGO prices, and only the big rich Catholic churches have organists anymore.
    I used to play for a Catholic S. J. Diocese parish in a very rich area near Stanford [30 yrs ago]. Got paid $75.00 per Mass. These low prices are intended to be recompensed by the organist getting ALL the weddings and funerals in the parish. [Protestant parishes don't have the quantity of funerals and weddings that Catholic Parishes have].
    The Diocesan guidelines used to even specify this, perhaps new priests don't understand the difference, and the influx of guitarrists hasn't helped.
    The funeral parlors seem to set the rules for funerals, and tell the families that the going rate for the organist is $200, sometimes they say $250.
    So if the parish follows the diocesan guidelines, you play 1 Mass on Sunday, plus 2 funerals during the week, and perhaps 1 wedding on Saturday, and your income is at least $675.00 a week. Now I substitute at many non-catholic churches. The minimum pay for the poorer churches is $125.00 per service, & doesn't include midweek rehearsals. Episcopalian churches pay more, at least $150- $200.00, sometimes more. Most Protestant churches also require more practice and study by the organist, since they include the names of all the organ music in the Order of Worship, and expect variety.
  • I am earning $35 a Mass, and am not all too happy about it. I have been playing for Masses since I was a Senior in high school (2000); at that much smaller parish I was getting paid anywhere from $125 - $150, now, in a bigger parish, with eleven years of experience, $35. Hmmm?
  • chonakchonak
    At my local parish church in suburban Boston, I served as a volunteer choir director for a year; at the time (2004) they were paying organists $75 for each Mass.
  • You do not mention your level of expertise nor the calibre of you playing. If you are above average you should be getting anywhere from 150 to 250 per service, plus the same amount for a two hour rehearsal if it is desired. You should set your stipend, make it known, and play/direct only if it is agreed to. For weddings and funerals, you should set your own fee, plus an extra one for rehearsing with any soloists; and, if you are one who actually plays for wedding rehearsals, there is an extra stipend for that, too. These guidelines should be roughly compatible with local AGO standards. But you should set the fees and policies which you expect to be in force when engaged as a professional Church Musician... and get your colleagues to do the same.

If you really are being paid $50 or $75, you are really being had - unless you are an amateur of rather meagre ability.
  • GavinGavin
    I have once or twice subbed for a VERY poor Episcopal church which offered $75. To me, this is the lowest a church may offer in good faith to lead music. But aside from the occasional work between jobs, for the past seven years I've only accepted and sought salaried positions.
  • Interesting observations regarding salaries and substitues. I have often wondered how many "regular" posters in here are full time? I have an excellent high school player who subs for me on weekedays and he is compensated $50. When I engage outside musicians for weekend masses the rate is between $100 and $200, depending on their abilities.
  • Regarding M. Jackson Osborn's comment: I came to this town seeking to be closer to my wife's family and I am happy we're here; the only thing is that all 8 parishes in the area pay close to this amount and maybe seem to be in league with each other. It is rather frustrating, but what else can one do? I have talked with the pastor, who has agreed to get it bumped up to $50. $50???? I consider myself an above average player who, again, back in college, earned $150 a Mass. I am a Vocal Music Ed. BA and have many, many years of choral experience and organ experience. But there are some things I cannot do...

Now absolutely no offense is intended toward anyone on here who HAS done this, but I cannot, in good conscience, agree to go to another denomination and play for them when I know they do not possess the fullness of truth. As Catholics, don't we have to first and foremost be disciples of Christ? He says, "Come and follow me." If I go and play for another denomination, am I not, in a way, empowering a liturgy which does not get at the fullness of faith and which does, by the lack of grace offered through the lack of the seven Sacraments, endanger a soul?
  • CharlesW
    I now work for a Catholic Church. However, I have worked for Protestants in the past, and have no regrets for doing so. While I worked for them, I continued to worship in the Catholic Church. There is a huge difference between worship and work. Those music jobs are work. Even as an employee, the Catholic masses are also work. I still make time for worship that doesn't involve working.
  • francis
    I totally agree with MJO in terms of proper compensation. Playing the service is the tip of the iceberg. Planning and rehearsals not to mention organ practice is 90% of your time if the music is done to the best of our ability. Do not cast your pearl before swine, so to speak, or corn cobs is all you will have to eat. That is unfair to yourself, your family, and to all of us in maintaining a level of just compensation.

I USED to play for an Episcopal church in the 80's until I came to the realization that I was supporting heresey. Never again. JIF is right. We cannot be like the double minded politicians who support abortion and profess to be Catholic. You deceive yourself and deaden your conscience and worse lead others to believe that false ecumenism is the path to unity. There is no difference between worship and your work. Let all things you do be holy and acceptable to Jesus and Mary and Holy Mother Church.

The Episcopal Church has on numerous occassions invited me to play for their services especially when their bishop comes to their church. My not accepting sends a message about what the Catholic Church believes and promotes. We cannot say one thing and do another. We must have fidelity in our intentions and our actions.
  • CharlesW
    I think my time with the Protestants was good for them. Through our conversations and work together, they came to an understanding of, and appreciation for, Catholicism which might not have otherwise existed.

Now I return you to the heretic burners and flat-earthers. ;-)
  • I apologize for helping lead this discussion away from its intended topic.

Charles, I'm not familiar enough with the folks on this board to know humor or sarcasm or any such thing, but really, I think the point made on here by Francis and myself is that it needs to matter that we're Catholic. Otherwise, in the words of Flannery O'Conner, "to hell with it." To insist that we stay loyal to our Faith is not to be a 'flat-earther' or a 'heretic burner'. If we're Catholic but yet we work not just WITH but FOR a group that espouses beliefs that are in contradiction to the teachings of the Truth, are we not saying that such differences don't matter? In effect, are we not saying that truth itself doesn't matter, or, perhaps equally as bad, that there is no truth? I'd rather be Catholic and poor than Episcopal/Presbyterian/Lutheran/Calvanist, etc... and rich. (Though I'd rather be Catholic and richER - working on that one! :)
  • TCJ
    First, I have to agree with JIF and Francis about playing for non-Catholic churches. It is something that I refuse to do for the same reasons they mention. I'm also irritated by non-Catholics who come in and take jobs in Catholic churches all the time. Fortunately, around here, the Catholic churches aren't paying that much, so they don't have too much incentive to take the jobs.

On to the pay, as I said, it's not a lot, in my experience. I'm not the greatest organist, but I still feel that I've been paid a pittance most places I've gone with the pay for three of them all being at $65 - the fourth, thankfully, is considerably higher. I feel that when a church wants to cut costs, the music program is the first place they look, never mind that they may be wasting funds elsewhere (in one church, I knew this to be true). At the same time, their desire to pay so little sometimes ends with them getting what they pay for. In the case of one person who the pastor got to substitute for me (against my advice) the person could NOT play the organ pedals and struggled with the manuals so much that tone-deaf parishioners were complaining about it.
  • CharlesW
    I think some of the views here are a bit extreme. Extreme to the point that a Vatican Council wouldn't endorse them, either. Some of the folks here live in an esoteric past not supported by any reality.

Yes, it's great to be Catholic, but especially here in the South, it isn't a Catholic world. Working is good, too!

I tell young people to not go into education or Catholic music. Go for something that pays better, and is not so populated by those with their own agendas.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • jpal
    Interesting -- I'm kind of shocked. I knew Catholics were paid too low, but not THAT low. My parish pays $150 for sub organists; some others that I know of around here pay $125-175. I am in a Washington, DC suburb, which I suppose might be higher than many other places around the country.

http://www.agohq.org/profession/index.html
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    O come now, one doesn't ex officio become a Christian Scientist by playing for one of their services; by this logic a faithful Catholic can't work as a public school teacher.

And I'm pretty sure CharlesW isn't seriously suggesting that anyone here would actually burn a heretic, as opposed to merely turning them over to the secular arm. ;-)

To try to stay on topic, I did one time see an ad for a Protestant church that wanted a $50 organist. It was an hour's drive through the forest away and I never heard if they got a taker. As a rule, though, $125 is the minimum around SF Bay.
  • CharlesW
    Exactly, Richard Mix.

Wages here are all over the place. The larger churches pay more, and the smaller ones less.
  • Charles, you said:

"I think some of the views here are a bit extreme. Extreme to the point that a Vatican Council wouldn't endorse them, either. Some of the folks here live in an esoteric past not supported by any reality.

Yes, it's great to be Catholic, but especially here in the South, it isn't a Catholic world. Working is good, too!

I tell young people to not go into education or Catholic music. Go for something that pays better, and is not so populated by those with their own agendas."

Charles, I'm not sure what about my post or other people's posts was 'extreme'. Interesting that you sort of loosely cite the Vatican Council but don't really cite the text or an actual passage. Does it matter if one's a Catholic, or doesn't it? If so, then we should be working on evangelizing and helping bring our 'seperated brethren' to the fullness of truth. If it doesn't matter, to hell with it. Why be Catholic? Why go into teaching at a Catholic school? Why pray? Why have a devotion to the Blessed Mother? Why work to make processions with the Blessed Sacrament beautiful, powerful events? Why...?

I agree, it may be hard to find a job in a mostly non-Catholic area, and I'm not saying that one absolutely SHOULD NOT, under any circumstances take a non-Catholic post, but when one is offered a choice between a modest income at a poorer Catholic parish and a good income at a Protestant church, I hope that any serious Catholic would look at themselves and think a little.

Your advice to young people seems to indicate that money equals happiness. I am a recently turned 30 year old who does get frustrated by the pay, but I work a full-time teaching job at a Catholic school, an organist job on Sundays, and (soon) a part time job so that I can hope to have my Lord say to me at the end of my life, "Well done, good and faithful servant..."
    Thanked by 1miacoyne
  • francis
    a thumbs up to JIF ... TWO thumbs up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charles... all treatment of protestants are expressed in charity, kindness, and with humility... but we CANNOT compromise THE faith. Otherwise being a Catholic means nothing more than being a... (insert ecumenical movement name here).

This is why our Church is in such bad shape... because we have dumbed the faith down to mean 'good friends with all Christians'. I got sucked into that for 15 years and it destroyed my Catholic identity, compromised my ability to bring others to the faith, and did NOTHING for the Church.

It's time to stand up for what we believe and LIVE it not just give lip service.

Episcopalians have waved large paychecks in front of my face time after time. But money has to take the back seat. Store up your treasure in heaven, where the "big pipe organ in the sky" is going to be all that matters for the rest of eternity... not the blip of time in the temporal field of grass that withers and quickly fades away.
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    Ach, those Episcopalian devils! Next they'll come at you with some prot version of the comfy chair.

Francis says "It's time to stand up for what we believe..." and reminds me how happy I am to have so many (and so diverse) allies for chant and polyphony, from ex-Wiccans to those for whom Mozart, Haydn, Gounod and Messiaen are not Catholic enough.
    Thanked by 1Jeffrey Quick
  • francis
    Richard

Episcopalians are not devils. They are separated bretheren. One composer isn't more or less Catholic than another, but the style of a composer's music can give insight to influences for sure, and sometimes an alien spirituality. I happen to believe it is very difficult to separate a 'musical school' from its spiritual birthplace/roots (and influences).

Some here like classical styles and some ren and some baroque. Doesn't make the composer 'less Catholic' as you are promoting. All composers do, however, develop their craft more or less in the roots of chant and polyphony, and some more in theatrical style, and some do wander into experimental and some into other religious influences. It's hard to dispute the obvious, don't you agree?

Take a look at this bit for instance:

http://m.litthe.oxfordjournals.org/content/25/3/350.short?rss=1

Shadle also reveals an interesting counter movement in RC sacred music which was spawned in the early 20th century, ("Messiaen embraced musical modernism in all its eclectic variety") which can be reviewed here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=_DMzPErX20wC&pg=PA83&dq=Messiaen+the+Theologian+Shadle&hl=en&ei=ricCTr6NCIHogQf46d3MDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Messiaen the Theologian Shadle&f=false
  • kevinfkevinf
    from ex-Wiccans to those for whom Mozart, Haydn, Gounod and Messiaen are not Catholic enough.

Messiaen not Catholic enough? Yeesh!!
  • francis
    Richard:

We should probably move this to an appropriate thread if you want to continue.
  • CharlesW
    Or even worse, Richard, those Lutherans coming at us with fat paychecks. Quick, get the weapons. The Protestants are attacking. Next the Democrats will come and take all our Bach scores. ;-)

Outside of jobs in major churches, I think few are getting rich in church music.

In all seriousness, if playing for a Protestant service or two weakens anyone's faith, maybe that faith wasn't so strong to begin with. I have found my interactions with Protestants a good opportunity to inform them about Catholicism. It's amazing how little many of them know about us. We are a mystery to them.
  • kas
    Hi,

I had not checked back for replies to this thread for some time. Wow! Quite some interesting viewpoints. In answer to an inquiry that came up regarding my own qualifications, I have two college degrees in music, 33 years experience in teaching public school music, and over 40 years experience as an organist. As I said in my first post when I started this thread, I believe the pay is pretty substandard at $50 (before deductions) considering my level of experience and training. I vacillate between feeling really grateful for the wonderful parish I have - (I play for my home parish - which makes things a bit trickier with regards to the pay situation) and the convenience factors involved as well as the flexibility I enjoy with regards to my position - and feeling a bit taken advantage of due to the apparent hesitancy for my parish to offer more than I currently receive. I know that many probably feel that the organist sits on the bench for an hour a week and thus probably doesn't deserve much if any pay. What they might not consider is that for every hour playing for a Sunday Mass, there are probably 10 hours spent on things like choosing music, planning registrations for that music, figuring out fingerings and pedaling, and practicing. It's a bit discouraging to know that my church's average weekend collection is well over twice as much as I receive for an entire year. I guess it comes down to how much music ministry is valued by any one individual parish finance committee. That's anyone's guess I suppose.

Regards,
    KAS