Flexible English Propers
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    Details to follow.

For now, see:
    http://propers.musicforsunday.com/
  • Nice
  • Very nice.

There was probably a time to mention this earlier, but I really do question the line in the introit-hymn for Adv1 that says "Let not my enemies exult; / Save those who wait upon your Name." I know what it's trying to say, but am I the only one who is immediately inclined to read "save" in the sense of "except, not including"? Maybe it's the fact that it falls on a naturally unstressed beat that contributes to thinking of it as a conjunction rather than an imperative verb. I wonder if something else could be done here.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    There has been some email discussion about the name of the project.

Anyone have any ideas?
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    What do people think of:

Hymn & Chant Propers

OR

Chant Hymn Propers
  • For those who are intrigued with the idea of singing the Anglican Chant, which developed to serve English, as Gregorian Chant does Latin, a beginner's guide is in the works. Those who would like BETA copies as it is tweaked, email me noel@frogmusic.com.

It will be available for purchase, but also for free download, when completed.

noel

PS: Titles

American Mass Chant & Hymn Propers

(that'll rile some)

It's Propers That We Sing At Mass

There's Nothing Improper About These Propers

Propers To Go (free downloads, get it?)

The Propers of the Mass in Hymns & Chant
  • Adam,

Singing Latin Propers to Anglican Chant?

What are you thinking?

Isn't that like putting mustard on french fries?

Ketchup on Ice Cream?
  • Adam,

Is it true that choirs get a discount on new cassocks incorporating this new invention when they sing your propers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hSRaKnKJiR4#!

n

PS:What's the buzz about the word Flexible? Should it be Changeable Music Propers? Should Adam explain why he's seeking a better name that reflects flexibility?
  • Mark M.Mark M.
    Very nice, Adam! I'm thrilled to see yet another resource in development which renews attention to Mass propers. And the layout is beautiful! Very elegant, with lots of space… easy on the eyes.

My suggestion for the title would simply be Propers of the Mass, with some sort of descriptive subtitle.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>Singing Latin Propers to Anglican Chant
    Personally, I think it's a great idea.
    You just have to pay attention to the accents and melismas in the original.

I'm thinking it could be sing like:
    Latin Antiphon
    English Verse
    English Verse
    English Verse
    (English Doxology)
    Latin Antiphon

But I put the Psalm verse and doxology from the Graduale in there just in case anyone wanted to use it in full.
  • Adam WoodAdam Wood
    >>And the layout is beautiful!

Thank you!