More Cost-Cutting?
  • While this could be seen as a continuation of this thread, I though it warranted a discussion page of its own.

I received an e-mail on November 15 from the person who is now scheduling the cantors (and is de facto the parish's new Music Director), asking about availability for December Masses. (Interesting side note--she failed to list the 7:00 PM Mass for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.)

This part of the e-mail made my blood boil (emphasis mine):
    We will be using the Mass of Redemption for all parts of the Mass. N has ordered the full accompaniment and it should arrive shortly. I will make copies and have them available in the bench behind the organ.

I sent her a letter November 16 (as well as a copy to our priest) making these points:
    1) This is a direct violation of the Copyright Act of 1976.
    2) This is a violation of the Seventh Commandment.
    3) An appeal to act in an ethical manner.

I sent the letter to fulfill what I believe was a moral obligation. How it is handled from here, I don't know. Some assurance that I have done the right thing would help.
  • CHGiffenCHGiffen
    You definitely did the right thing, and I just hope that this illegal copying will cease.
  • Kathy
    Is it possible that the parish owns a license that allows for this copying?
  • Kathy's right....before you get too hot under the collar, it's important to investigate whether or not your parish might have a license to copy music. Ours did, but we so rarely used it, we stopped renewing it.

If, indeed, they are violating copyright law, which is not only illegal, but also immoral, and they refuse to rectify the matter by immediately either purchasing the number of copies that that they made or destroying the photocopies, I would remove myself from the music program and contact the (arch)diocese. If they refuse to act, I'd contact law enforcement. This is a very serious matter that affects composers livelihood. It shouldn't be taken lightly, but it should also be verified before you raise too much of a stink.

Adam S.
  • Sorry, but there's not a copyright license in the world that permits the photocopying of accompaniment or even cantor editions, unless it's a piece of music that is no longer in print but still under copyright.
  • Kathy, I don't know if the parish has a license; it may have been part of the cost cutting. I don't even know if there is a line item in the budget for music.

Adam S., I am hoping my letter will end this problem before it get started. I am prepared to contact the diocese if it doesn't and (reluctantly) "blow the whistle" if it is needed. However, I need to still be part of the music at my parish. The "music director" and I are on opposite ends of the liturgy/music spectrum; if this incident is the opening salvo of a "liturgy/music war", pray that I am ready for battle.

As an ironic side note, her day job is an administrative position in a small law firm.
  • Actually, photocopying music under copyright *could* potentially be moral.

Jimmy Akin of Catholic Answers gives the moral rational for some photocopying, but it depends on the use. Music for performance is probably another matter.

http://www.jimmyakin.org/2009/06/workplace-scruples.html
  • Proposing Fair Use as a justification for not paying an author or composer for her or his work is the sign of somebody who makes a living making copies....not intellectual property.

He's assisting people in stealing.
  • "As an ironic side note, her day job is an administrative position in a small law firm."

I love it!

But you need to remember that the goal of law firms is not to uphold the law but rather to convince the courts that the laws do not apply to their clients.

Anyone who is an officer of the court, including lawyers, is required to report illegal activity. Where are all the lawyers when the illegal copies are passed out at choir and Mass?
  • DougS
    I don't understand the need to rush to judgment. If someone is ignorant, you can be nice about it without damning him or her to eternal hellfire.

Maybe this person simply doesn't know what the standard protocols are? Educating is the proper solution here, unless there's something I'm missing.
  • I don't know, I'm not a moral theologian so its tough for me to judge.

Nevertheless, I make it a matter of policy to use as much copyright-free or in-the-commons music as possible. I have a near zero music budget so the copyrighted for-pay works we do use (Such as those from CCWatershed and a few others) are chosen wisely and I make sure to get more than enough copies. It really stinks because we are prevented from doing some really great things. I don't photocopy anything we buy.

As a side note, it seems unfortunate that anyone would have to/want to pay for some of those "big-company" Mass settings. And who would really want to photocopy them, only adding to the pain by having more copies around? Many of them are absolutely horrible, and offensive to pious ears! :-)

rollingjr: If they did steal the music, then you could perhaps encourage them to order fresh copies for the cantors as a repayment.
  • FNJ, in my letter there was the statement this didn't even constitute "fair use".

Doug S., I am going to give her the benefit of the doubt here; I do think it's a case of "forgive her, for she knows not what she does." I truly do not want to see her or the parish get into any legal trouble; however, I am ready to act accordingly.

Ossian, it is hard to say if the criteria for a mortal sin was completely met (grave matter, full knowledge, deliberate consent of will), although I suggest by my comment above it wasn't. As for this particular Mass setting, I have listened to the entire Mass (from a copy of the CD--another violation?) It's all in 6/8 and it's ponderous.
  • I received this e-mail yesterday:

Thank you very much for bringing the copying to my attention. I will call the publisher tomorrow and offer them compensation or destroy the copies I have made and have the church make the necessary purchase. You were right to bring that to my attention.

Looks like it has been resolved.
  • Carl DCarl D
    After raising such ire on this topic, let us give thanks for the best possible resolution! Most people really do want to do the right thing.