New Hymnal - no 'Spanish pages'
  • Francesca
    It's looking like the best of the new Hymnal offerings don't contain Spanish pages with readings and the text of the Mass. Since the Spanish Mass isn't being altered, the problem isn't getting a new book. The problem is that if you're not going with OCP or GIA, when you get rid of those missal subscriptions you're also getting rid of the pages our one Spanish speaking congregation uses.

I've done some research and not found any good alternatives. It's either hardbound Missals, very pricy, or subscription missals. I don't need Spanish music, just the readings and the Mass for each week. Our Hispanic Choir gets their music from other sources, but what I can find to meet their need may have an impact on what Hymnal/Missal we wind up getting for the English speaking congregations.

Does anyone know of a resource?
  • musings
    Hi Linda:

When I had to prepare Spanish Language Liturgies and the choir brought their own music, I used Misa del Dias ffrom OCP. It isn't very expensive and it is one book for the entire Liturgical year. It is, however, all in Spanish, no English. Buen suerto
  • Mike R
    I think WLP's "We Celebrate" series has a missal that includes Spanish texts that can be purchased independently of the WC hymnal. Liturgical Press also has some Spanish options. I'd suggest contacting those two directly to see what they have available.
  • benedictgal
    Linda, even though the Spanish translation has not been changed (it is going through its own revision in compliance with Liturgiam Authenticam), I would be very careful with some of the OCP offerings, since the composers have taken liberties with the text there, as well. WLP takes some of its Spanish-language settings from OCP and, sadly, there are paraphrases there, too. Even Peter Kolar's Misa de Luna is not one that I would recommend (he writes for WLP). Just compare what is in the Roman Missal to what is in the Missallete. That should help you.
  • Francesca
    I really want to avoid OCP if I can!

Hope there will be more suggestions - thanks for those posted.
  • Pancho
    Are you looking for a resource with the readings just in Spanish , or both in English and Spanish?

I can think of a few things just in Spanish from the Jesuits' "Obra Nacional de la Buena Prensa" and the Daughters of St. Paul. I know you want to avoit OCP but if you need something with readings in both English and Spanish I can suggest their United in Christ/Unidos en Cristo worship aid. Here's why:

1. You don't have to order the hymnal that accompanies it (at least I don't think you do).

2. The print is a little larger than that in other OCP missalettes.

3. The readings are on facing pages: the English on the left and the Spanish on the right. Each side almost always matches. That way if an English-speaker turns up at a Spanish Mass and vice-versa, that person can more easily follow along. If you get the edition with weekday propers, it's true for that as well:English on the left matching Spanish on the right.

4. They are now printing the Missal entrance and communion antiphons for the Sunday readings (they hadn't before). If your using music based on those texts it will make it easier for the faithful to follow.

5. There's music for the Mass settings in front and the psalm responses but those are easily ignored if you're using your own music resources. The people can just follow the text.

6. Otherwise, there's no hymns or other music included, just the Order of Mass, an order of Benediction, the propers for a few votive Masses, the weekday propers if you get the edition that includes them, and some devotional prayers. Like I said I don't think you're obligated to use the accompanying hymnal, you could use other resources for music.

7. You can order book covers for them. Their a little expensive but in my opinion worth it for keeping the missalettes in good condition.
  • I liked the WLP Celebremos pretty well when I was at a parish with a large Hispanic population. I liked that each page was English on the left and Spanish on the right, rather than having the Spanish section in a different (very small) part of the missallette. I think it actually ends up helping people learn the other language when they are side by side like that.
  • gregpgregp
    Kind of like Latin - English! ;-)
  • The problem with WLP is that its Spanish-language music comes from OCP. The Gloria that is marked "Tradicional" is actually not. It is based on a Mariach setting and it paraphrases the prayer. I wish that the Vatican II hymnal could have a Spanish-language counterpart.