Conference on Tournemire's L'Orgue Mystique - Feb 2-3, 2012 in South Florida
  • Call for Papers and Recital Programs

Gregorian Chant and Modern Composition for the Catholic Liturgy: Charles Tournemire’s L’Orgue Mystique as Guide

February 2-3, 2012

The Church Music Association of America
    in collaboration with Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
    and the Church of the Epiphany in Miami, Florida

The Church Music Association of America will hold a conference exploring Charles Tournemire’s landmark L’Orgue Mystique on February 2-3, 2012 on the campus of Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale and at the Church of the Epiphany in South Miami. The conference seeks to explore the aesthetic, liturgical, and compositional principles of L’Orgue Mystique, the broad implications of the work for modern compositions inspired by Gregorian chant, and, more generally, the role of modern compositions and the organ in the Catholic liturgy.

The conference will include a Missa Cantata for the Feast of the Purification ofthe Blessed Virgin Mary (Candlemas) featuring Tournemire’s office for the day from L’Orgue Mystique, a concert featuring selections from L’Orgue Mystique, as well as recital programs and papers relating to the conference theme. Papers presented will be considered for publication in a collection of essays following the conference.

The conference committee welcomes proposals for papers and recital programs.

The deadline for proposals is September 2nd, 2011. Notification of acceptance will be given by September 15th, 2011.

Proposals must be submitted via email to Jennifer Donelson at: jd1120@nova.edu

A complete call for papers may be viewed at the conference website: www.musicasacra.com/tournemire
  • This has to be one of the most exciting events for Catholic Organists and Directors....especially since it is in Florida in February! Count me in!
  • kevinfkevinf
    Noel,

You can ride down with me as I drive through TN.

Kevin
  • Very good suggestion, thanks! Should be kidnap CharlesW as well?
  • I'm looking forward to seeing some of your in our neck of the woods.
  • In light of the quickly approaching submissions deadline, I'll bump this to the top.
  • In bumping this topic back onto the board, I'm happy to announce the following highlights of the conference:

The keynote speaker will be Dr. Stephen Schloesser, Associate Professor of History, formerly of Boston College, now of Loyola University in Chicago, and author of Jazz Age Catholicism and currently working on a book on Messiaen.

The featured recitalist on Friday, Feb. 3rd will be Rudy de Vos, Director of Music and Organist at the Cathedral of Christ the Light in Oakland, CA.

Thursday will feature a Missa Cantata in the extraordinary form of the Roman rite celebrated by Fr. Brian Austin, FSSP. Tom Schuster of Epiphany Church will play the office for the day (Purification BVM) by Tournemire and a women's schola from Miami will chant the propers of the Mass. The Schola Cantorum from University of Florida under the direction of Dr. Edward Schaefer will sing a Missa Brevis by Zachary Wadsworth, who is completing his doctorate in composition at Cornell, as well as a motet by Dr. Paul Weber, Associate Prof. of Music at the Franciscan University of Steubenville.

The deadline for submissions is Friday, Sept. 2nd. I hope you'll be able to join us! The complete call for submissions can be found at the conference website: www.musicasacra.com/tournemire