Bishops will allow gradual early implementation of sung Mass parts
  • Mike R
    I don't know all the details on this, but the bishops this morning apparently decided to allow (pending local ordinary approval) gradual implementation of the new translation with regard to the sung Mass ordinary beginning in September.

USCCB Twitter feed
    Rocco Palma, live-blogging the bishops' meeting
  • benedictgal
    I sent the USCCB a FB message and they gave me a clarification:

Just to clairfy - your diocesan bishop will decide on the matter of implementing musical settings early. Check with your diocese in the coming weeks to stay up to speed with what will be happening in your area.
  • Adam Schwend
    I have to wonder if this is news to everyone but the BCDW....
  • Ruth Lapeyre
    Can anyone tell me, because I was very young and not even a Catholic, how long they gave churches to implement the vernacular Mass?
  • GavinGavin
    What if one wants to sing the canon? Which translation do they then use? Or the creed?
  • newmanbenewmanbe
    From the press release:

[The U.S.C.C.B.] announced that diocesan bishops may permit the gradual introduction of the musical settings of the people’s parts of the Mass from the new Roman Missal in September. Primarily this affects the the Gloria, the Holy, Holy, Holy and the Memorial Acclamations.

[…]

Some suggested that the various acclamations could be more effectively introduced throughout the fall, so that when the full Missal is implemented on the First Sunday of Advent, the congregation will have already become familiar with the prayers that are sung.

Except that, with very few exceptions, all the people’s parts are meant to be sung. Oh, well.