Ordination of a Priest
  • I have to plan my first priest ordination and remember seeing a music/text list by Dr. Paul Ford at some point. Somehow I can't find it searching through the forum.

Beginning to think about this ordination now as the ordination is in early May (so it does not leave a lot of time after the Triduum for planning and sending music to choir members etc.) Help?
  • Two texts that come to mind are: "Veni creator Spiritus" & "Tu es sacerdos in aeternum." Will check at the office as well.
  • smvanroodesmvanroode
    Ordo Cantus Missae gives the following in conferendis sacris ordinibus:

Introit:
    Dominus fortitudo plebis suae
    Dominus secus mare
    Protector noster
    Sacerdotes Dei
    Scio cui credidi

Gradual:
    Bonum est confidere
    Iuravit Dominus
    Protector noster

Alleluia:
    Confitemini ... et invocate
    Ego sum pastor bonus
    Ego vos elegi de mundo
    Iuravit Dominus
    Tu es sacerdos

Offerory:
    Sicut in holocausto

Communion:
    Ego vos elegi de mundo
    Hoc corpus
    Introibo ad altare Dei
    Lavabo
    Qui mihi ministrat
    Simon Ioannis

Communion during Easter season:
    Data est mihi
    Ego sum pastor bonus
  • The singing of the Veni Creator Spiritus is reserved for ordinations to the episcopate.

Here is the template I give my students to help them plan the music for their ordinations to the presbyterate.
  • rich_enough
    I'm confused, Dr. Ford. Isn't the Veni Creator listed as a song to be sung at the annointing of the priests' hands?

From the Rite of Ordination: "25. While the new priest is being vested in stole and chasuble and the bishop is anointing his hands, the hymn Veni, Creator Spiritus or the following antiphon may be sung with Psalm 110: 'Christ the Lord, a priest for ever in the line of Melchizedek, offered bread and wine.'"

Thanks for any clarification.

Sam Schmitt
  • Paul F. Ford
    Not any more, Sam; you're reading from the 1967 [Latin]/1969 [English] edition of the Rite, the editio typica. The following is from the 1989 [Latin]/2002 [English] editio typica altera, and thus authoritative.

35 The Ordination of a Bishop begins after the Gospel reading. While all stand, the hymn Veni, Creator Spiritus or, depending on local custom, another hymn similar to it may be sung.
    Thanked by 1rich_enough
  • chonakchonak
    By the way, is there any likelihood that the English version will be re-done in the next few years, or can interested readers assume that the current edition will remain current?
  • Paul F. Ford
    Rome rejected the English version of the Rite submitted by ICEL and sent back their own English version. Under such circumstances, we can count on this version for decades to come.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    this is all very confusing...
  • While, VENI CREATOR (or a similar hymn) is required at the ordination of a bishop,the new norms do not seem to imply that it is prohibited or even discouraged in other contexts. For instance, the National Shrine did it (quite beautifully!) for the most recent priestly ordinations for the archdiocese of Washington, as can be seen at 1:31:14 of
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au6uOPf-DcY
    Thanked by 2eft94530 hilluminar
  • FWIW: I have never attended a priestly ordination that did not have the Veni Creator sung during it... Nor have I ever attended an ordination that had the proper Litany to f the Saints sung during it; it has always been that Beck song with Origen listed, despite no even being in the process of canonization, let alone being Saint.
  • hilluminar
    I, too, have always had a problem with the Becker Litany of the Saints, SponsaChristi. It lists Solomon as being a Saint, yet he is not revered as such in any rite that I know of, in East or West. He violated the first Commandment and allowed his foreign wives to have shrines or churches where they offered sacrifices to their gods. It is even said that he assisted in the building of such. This is a very serious offence against the One True God, and this offence God does not tolerate.
  • I 'solved' the problems of the use of the Becker Litany in this article.
  • hilluminar
    It seems that the above article plays really fast and loose with Litanies. In my experience, any and every priest will tell you: " There are only 5 Litanies approved by the Church. Any other litanies will not be allowed. You may insert the name of the Patron Saint of this (whatever church you attend) church. No other insertions or omissions or any other alterations are allowed." That is my experience.
  • CharlesW
    I was told by a priest 3 or 4 years ago to never use that Becker litany again. I still have people tell me how beautiful they think it is, and ask why we don't do it any more. It seems to have an appeal like heroin to an addict, or sex with Olympic athletes. I don't understand it and probably never will.
    Thanked by 1Casavant Organist
  • PLTT
    Is there a recording or video of the Huijbers litany online anywhere?

Re: Litanies approved by the church: actually now there are more - recently both the Blessed Sacrament and Christ the High Priest were added. I don't have the exact Notitiae reference to hand, but it kind-of slipped under the radar like the somewhat unsuccessful memorial of Christ the Priest that bishops could request.
    Thanked by 1hilluminar
  • I don't know who you are, hilluminar, but I am offended by your dismissal of my article. I won't cite my credentials but I know whereof I speak. I'm not playing 'fast and loose' in this matter or any other liturgical matter. The priests you quote are in ignorance of the Church's tradition.

What are the five litanies to which you refer?

The pontifical contains:

The Litany at the Christian Initiation of Adults
    The Litany at the Baptism of Children
    The Litany on the First Sunday of Lent
    The Litany at the Dedication of a Church
    The Litany at the Dedication of an Altar
    The Litany at the Ordination of a Bishop
    The Litany at the Ordination of a Priest
    The Litany at the Ordination of a Deacon
    The Litany at the Consecration of a Virgin
    The Litany at the Profession of Solemn Vows
    The Litany at the Final Profession of a Religious
    The Litany at the Blessing of an Abbot/Abbess
    The Litany at the Dying of a Christian

In addition, there are the litanies approved the Handbook of Indulgences.
    Thanked by 1eft94530
  • MatthewRoth
    The latter would be the five. As far as I know, those are all variants on the Litany of the Saints, one of the five.

I don’t know why it’s so hard to use the form given by the church & to just ban the Becker.
  • I 'hate' the Becker myself. I am just trying to make it more in conformity with the litanies in the rites. It was updated in 2010 and 2011: https://dh8zy5a1i9xe5.cloudfront.net/shared/pdf/preview/30107838.pdf

MatthewRoth, you are correct: the lists of saints vary; the petitions also vary and may be supplemented by the local church.
    Thanked by 2CHGiffen BruceL
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    So, when adding saints for the Confirmation candidates at Easter Vigil, or Ordination candidates, should they be added at the end of the list just before "All holy men and women", or under their category and time line? we've bee doing the former, but it sounds like the latter is preferred.
  • The latter is preferred, by rank and by date of death.
  • MatthewRoth
    So you would follow the order of the full Litany, I suppose, in adding saints not listed already?
  • tomjaw
    There are not just 5 Litanies.... We have plenty, I don't want to look up how many! In the past the Church authorised certain prayers for use, (shall we say in church) these contained 4 Litanies to which was added recently the Litany to St. Joseph.

I wonder how many people know of authorised and unauthorised prayers!
  • Liam
    Public litanies (can be used in public liturgy) vs private litanies.