Colloquium 2010 Essentials
  • mjballoumjballou
    Of course, you should bring a pencil and a water bottle in case you lose the ones that might be given to you. More importantly, everyone over legal drinking age should pack a wine opener! While the dorms suppy linens, I see no mention of corkscrews. (And of course, if you like to hang up your clothes and are staying the dorms, bring your own hangers.)

Having perused the packet, I am filled with anticipation and delight.
  • don roy
    after thoroughly enjoying meeting you at the florida chant conference earlier at ave maria i hope that ill be included in your legendary after hours rathskeller hopping with charles et al. you guys have so much fun it should be downright illegal.
  • don roy! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    We don't want people to get the wrong idea about CMAA, the Wine Bar!
    Speaking of me and MJB skulking and hopping around, MA Singing Mum, Kathy P. , Wendy (m' better half) and I are meeting at 4pm PST today in San Diego and we're crashing MA's schola and choir rehearsals. That's the fun part. Then we'll, ahem, debrief. MJB- we're staying at the Old Town Inn again. I love this little joint! Next time in SD, we'll have to make sure don roy makes the trip. Huge Portuguese Naval sailing vessel just docked! Ah, frigate!
  • mjballoumjballou
    One of my greatest delights at the Colloquium is the diversity (in the best sense of the word), as well as the opportunity to have face-to-face contact with so many frequenters of the Forum. I'm looking forward to seeing you as well, don roy.
  • don roy
    charles
    count me in!
    mj
    that is so true. anyone new to the colloquiem will find this amazing but there are so many great people eager to meet each other that its almost impossible not to feel a part of. that interesting person telling slightly off color jokes accross the table could be, as often as not, head of an organ department of a major university .
  • janetgorbitzjanetgorbitz
    MJB: I am soooo glad you mentioned the corkscrew... I remember the difficulty we had opening bottles last year. I wonder if a corkscrew will pass through security in a carry-on bag..... hmmm
  • AOZ
    Driving up from Alabama. Will pick up souvenir corkscrews along the way. Gives the drive more purpose.
  • eft94530eft94530
    corkscrew will pass through security

Include a bottle of wine and attach the corkscrew to the side of the bottle.
    Wrap the pair in gift-paper,
    and when the officials want you to open and separate the two,
    cry while saying "but it is their anniversary" (of attending the colloquium))
    because they are destroying the wrapping paper perfectly chosen
    for the recipients. Your gift-card must be labeled "Charles and Wendy".

CCCA, did I correctly express the the protocol (even though I am not attending)? :-)
  • JDE
    I'm driving from points south, so I will put at least one corkscrew on my packing list. You never know when such a thing might be needed . . . but I have a pretty good feeling about needing it that week!
  • JDE
    The point being, i am not having to go through the TSA wringer.
  • eft, that was priceless!
    We actually tried that flying out of Portland last year, TSA didn't buy it! The bottle card was labeled "To Charles and Wendy" but they figured out from my ID that "Charles" was me! I asked the officer if they, at least, donated collected wines to some worthy organization. He claimed they just got trashed like everything else. The humanity, the humanity....
  • Steve CollinsSteve Collins
    For those who prefer hops to grapes, don't forget a bottle opener also. Remember, they don't call a "church key" for nothing!