"Were you there?"
  • JamJam
    I attended, this Good Friday, a living stations of the cross and a liturgy with my Catholic roommate and her friend. (The Pittsburgh church we went to for the stations was AMAZING, beautiful in every way possible.) In both places, the congregation sang "Were you there when they crucified my Lord...?" ad nauseam.

What is it that people like in this song? What merits does it have? I have an instinctive dislike for it. I don't like the focus on me, me, me in the chorus ("sometimes it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble...") nor does the second person seem effective. The answer is no: No, I was not there when they crucified the Lord; no, I was not there when they put him in the tomb, no, no no...

What do you all think about it?
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    I think there was a very long discussion of this piece last year on this very forum.

That is all I will say at this time.
  • chonakchonak
    I agree with your take on the song, Jam: it can have a nagging quality. It's soloistic, too, but then the Stations of the Cross are a devotional service, and not part of the liturgy.

Actually, today, I heard it performed in the Good Friday service during the Veneration of the Cross, but without accompaniment and with restraint by a fine soloist, so it avoided some of the song's temptations.

The other songs during the veneration were very suitable, so I'll count this one as a concession to people who like it.

The discussion Jeff recalls can be read here.
  • GavinGavin
    I love it, played a setting of it at communion (which I premiered back in '06) and couldn't live without it every Good Friday. Why? I don't know, I just like it...
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • CharlesW
    I hate it, but it's been used on Good Friday at this parish for years before I took the job in 2001. I would likely be lynched if I didn't use it. I follow it with "O Sacred Head..." during communion. These are the only congregational hymns sung on Good Friday.
  • Kathy
    I like it, as long as it's sober and thoughtful. Our congregation sings along softly. It's nice. Once a year, it's fine with me.
  • Donnaswan
    This is a hymn that touches people deep in their hearts, and it's no use railing against it. Remember it's origins deeply felt among the black slaves in this country and you can see why. So many Spirituals are certainly not 'liturgical', but they are ingrained in the American psyche.

That and the Passion Chorale are the only two cing. hymns we sing on Good Friday also.

Donna
  • With the right soloist, this song can be very soulful and deep. With the wrong soloist, it causes me to tremble, tremble, tremble...

Mandee
  • Erik P
  • don roy
    there is an amazing setting of these words (to original melody) by raymond haan
    scored for soprano soloist organ and cello obligato. an intensly emotional piece (some might say too much) it goes over big when i do it for palm sunday. guarenteed to make them swoon.
  • redsox1
    During veneration, I directed a choral setting by Bob Chilcott (Oxford.) Beautiful writing. It starts very simply with a duet by Sopranos and Altos. Sumptuous harmonies follow with full choir on the chorus. The next verse features Sopranos and Altos in canon with the men's voices providing a lovely stepwise, undulating harmonic underpinning on "oo." We return to the lush harmonies once again on the chorus. The piece ends with a dialog on the tune and text "were you there ?" (E-A-G#) between Sopranos and Altos. Simply lovely.
  • Kathy
    One aspect of the song is its obvious resonance with the Afro-American community. Very seldom during the Church year do I feel the urge to sing anything in liturgy that might sound like what the Holy Father calls "the exaltation of groups." At Christmas, tho, I like to sing something Polish, and on Good Friday, Were You There.
  • I don't have a problem with the song per se, but the lyrics don't speak to this Irish Catholic. I hear it as an African-American Protestant hymn in the tradition of personalizing the experience of Bible stories. I wasn't there and simply don't relate to the sentiment. Moreover, I too tremble, when I observe white Boomer women trying to "be black" when singing it. I do admire what the Black community has done in their fight for dignity and equality, and in so doing, I don't try to appropriate their music for my own purposes. As for stations, give me Stabat mater any time.
  • Kathy
    Michael,

In my neck of the woods, there are many Black Catholics, including the smooth baritone who soloed this song for my choir yesterday.

I think African-Americans, as a group, were there. They bore the cross in a special way that isn't over yet.

I don't advocate either world music or liberation theology, but I think this song is fine.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JamJam
    I suppose if you balanced this song with some theologically intense songs, it might be all right. I mean, this focuses on emotions quite a bit, and lacks theological depth or passion-narrative type detail. But in the two places I went to on Good Friday, it was the only song I heard, and it bothered me. I am used to very richly theological songs (we have hymns that mention the hypostatic union of the two natures of Christ, even: very technical language, but a matter of course). Also, I am not usually a sentimental person. In fact, at times I border on being anti-sentimental. But as the song has no heresy in it, and--as some of you have pointed out--has a very meaningful heritage, it won't bother me as much in the future.
  • CharlesW
    I can stand it once a year, although I agree it is Protestant to the core. We have maybe 10 black members in the parish out of 1500 to 2000 who attend every week, so there is no cultural case to be made for it. I wonder if there has been, over time, any group in the world that hasn't suffered and borne a cross at the hands of some other group? That seems to be the history of humanity, doesn't it?
  • If I may, I don't see a purpose or solution to a perceived problem that is based upon creed or color, or emotion versus sacral. I do think this particular hymn enjoys the status as an icon viewed through many prisms of "culture," including a universal recognition by Christians around the globe. That is not to say I advocate its use (I used it after the ministers left the sanctuary into the sacristy after the solemn liturgy.) And like my namesake Eastern bud, once a year, feh?
    As we masons lay our bricks one at a time, this one brick could be regarded as we do rings of growth visible on a tree trunk, both unique and somehow organic. (Mixed metaphor apology.) But it won't bring down the building.
  • I'd hesitate to say that the desire for emotional identification is strictly a Protestant impulse--what about the Stabat Mater and the Dies Irae? The late medieval wave of piety focused on personal identification and individual emotional response never went away, and Were You There stands firmly in that shared tradition.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • CharlesW
    There was a Baptist DOM at this parish in the early 1990s who used "The Old Rugged Cross" every Good Friday. Rarely, someone will still ask for it, but I have never given in on that one. Consequently, I can live with "Were You There?" I do have one fellow who asks for "Lord, Let Me Walk" for Good Friday every year. He heard it somewhere in Texas, and has raved about it ever since. I never get around to programming it, either.
  • Kathy
    Charles, my California friend, are you really a Mason? Haha.
  • G
    Well, if your choice were, (as it was for me,) between Were You There? and the theme song from Gilligan's Island, would you hesitate?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)
  • marajoymarajoy
    this year, I had it programmed as the last song at the Veneration of the cross, and we didn't actually need it...so we just didn't do it! and so far no one has complained (or noticed? although, I confess that I haven't actually SEEN anyone since Good Friday liturgy...) :-)
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    i would suggest that the style of this song is a major problem, when it comes to what music we use at the church's official worship. it is not in the right style for church. at least this is my feeling.
  • Kathy
    G, we conpmbined the refrain of Gilligan's island, which isn't bad, with a Psalm tone setting of the Palm Sunday responsorial Psalm.
  • Liam
    Think of it as the spiritual cousin of My Song is Love Unknown. Both are perfect for the devotion that is the Stations of the Cross.

And, theologically, yes, we indeed were all there. Our Lord's passion, death and resurrection is not bounded by time and space (due to the Hypostatic Union), and he was crucified by and for all sinners for all of time. We indeed *were* there in that sense. Let's not get literalist on this.
  • JamJam
    Who's talking about the theme song from Gilligan's island? Is this an inside joke?

Liturgically we are present for the crucifixion, but the way the song asks its question just makes me answer "no" in my head.
  • Kathy
    In my better moments I enjoy the partially articulate attempts of the PIPs to let me know their expectations. One fellow always tells me "I want songs today, not poems." Over the years I've come to understand that he means that songs are simple, and about feelings. Poems are developed theological treatments.

This is a smart, educated guy. Were You There is right up his alley.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    kathy, but in the final analysis, is it about what he wants, or what the church recommends? fr. zuhlsdorf has talked about this at length. i don't like when they sing that piece where i am, because the style is all wrong.
  • Kathy
    Jam, G's point, as I understand it, is that Were You There is not as worse as Behold the Wood of the Cross.
  • JamJam
    Behold the Cross... can't say I've heard it before. Does it actually sound like the Gilligan's island theme song or is it just equally silly or something?

BachLover2, my gut instinct agrees with you.

Note, friends, that I grew up in the CoC and was raised singing a lot of silly songs in church (anyone know Sing and be Happy?) without batting an eyelash. Now that I am Eastern Orthodox and have experienced the solemnity and grandeur of their liturgical texts and hymns, hearing anything in church that we sung in my childhood in church makes me flinch. When I go to Mass with friends and hear any protestant songs, I flinch. There are a few exceptions, though--good hymns like "Holy, Holy, Holy," or hymns that were originally Catholic but commandeered and edited by Protestants later on. (Usually the wonderful theological content, often Eucharistic or Marian, was the first thing to go.)
  • Kathy
    BachL,

What is it about the style that you find objectionable?
  • Off topic alert.

Jam, the verse melody of Dufford is the plagaristic issue. Don't matter, it won't last the century.
    Kathy, y'know you have to figure if we subscribe to Fr. Zed's motto, we have to come to terms with "masonry," not "Masons." And I do know you were joshing.
    I am my grandfather's namesake. I have joyfully assumed his grandfather "nickname." I presided, as a lay person, frosh college, over his funeral that was essentially full of Masonic gobbledygook as he was 33rd degree, and naively trusted that my being RC would not spoil the party. (Not much of a party anyway, mostly WWI era folk except for family.)
    Regarding Freemasonry, the Knights Templar, the Jesus Conspiracies, Dan Brown, Roslyn, Illuminati, the Holy Grail, Opus Dei, Gnostics and Know-nothings, I could give a rodent's derriere freely in exchange and come out the better. My grandfather was my hero. (He kind of subscribed to Norman Vincent Peale and Science of Mind toward his later years.)
    Main thing, he made bacon for breakfast to die for.
    I'll brick by brick for him as for us all, knowing that as of 1970, he has a better bead on redemption, one way or the other, than any of us posting here.
  • GavinGavin
    Given that Jam's initial post was a question, I'll provide some concrete stuff I like about the song (whether or not these are desirable qualities is for the individual to decide)

- It's American in origin, and African-American. Church shouldn't be about expressing our culture, but as Americans we should make some use of American music when appropriate
    - The tune necessitates a slow, solemn tempo that makes one ponder the words
    - The repetitive nature of the text drives home the underlying theology and personal accusation: what have I done to bring about His crucifixion?
    - The Hymnal 1982 harmonization takes a melody with relative harmonic stasis and adds interest through the use of a driving harmonic rhythm in the other parts.
    - People will really sing this
    - Playing it on organ or singing a capella, you can take many liberties with the tempo and people will stay perfectly with you
    - It's looooong!
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • JamJam
    thank you, Gavin. That is what I'm looking for--concrete arguments for and against. My arguments against are mainly its lack of theological depth, and its sentimentality. But I actually do agree with you that songs and hymns that are American in origin belong in American churches. The unfortunate aspect of this is that American = Puritan for much of our history. It is hard to decide where to draw the lines. And again, another part of my dislike of this song is just a gut reaction stemming from my rejection of my childhood Protestantism. Of course there was much good in my childhood that it does me good to meditate on. But there was also much heresy.
  • BachLover2BachLover2
    kathy, hello. it just seems like a piece from a secular genre, not a sacred genre to me. try to sing that piece well. what does it sound like? now put a pop singer crooning sound on it. ah, that's the way the song should be sung. affectation galore. again, just my feeling...
  • I heartily recommend Gary Penalka's English setting of the Reproaches to replace the song usually used for the adoration of the cross. I think this brings home the message of our complicity much better than "Were Your There?"
  • chonakchonak
    Gavin opined: Playing it on organ or singing a capella, you can take many liberties with the tempo and people will stay perfectly with you

Not around here: I think congregations drag it.
  • Donnaswan
    Don Roy, I second you on that Raymond Haan setting. It's absolutely gorgeous. Every year I mean to order it and every year I forget. Perhaps now is the time and save it up for next year.
    Are you familiar with his setting of "Unto Thy word" by the British poet(?) last name Austin? One of my choir's favs. Another one we like is titled 'Cause me to hear'

Donna
  • Personally I feel that this song sounds much better a capella...the music doesn't really "fit" the organ imo.

Mandee
  • Above we see people aligning themselves to one of two groups: On one side, those who feel that "Were You There" appropriate for singing on Good Friday and the other side has two parts: Vatican II Form and Extraordinary Form/Novus Ordo Form, would not sing it.

In a discussion at school this week, we covered the main Jewish congregations: Orthodox, Conservative and Reformed as a parallel to the present Latin Rite: Extraordinary Form, Vatican II, Novus Ordo. This was after my meeting my first observant Jew in Chattanooga, TN...if you think Catholics are few and far between in the US South....the Jews are much, much fewer.

And I complimented him that his mother would be pleased that he attends Shul. This elderly man told me that he can tell what kind of Jew he is talking with by whether they say they go to Temple, Synagogue or Shul.

I knew that the Conservative Temple may have an organ, the Orthodox Shul and Reformed Synagogue will not. He said, "We hate it to walk into a Temple and see an organ."

Shul's came first, then Conservative Temples and eventually those that rejected the liberal approach of the Conservative but unwilling to go all the way back to the Orthodox practices formed Reformed Congregations.

We have three forms of the Mass, all the Mass, all different. While the Vatican II Mass welcomes music that talks all about ME, hence the great number of songs that start with "I", the Novus Ordo Mass text remains the same and can be in the vernacular...so one difference between these three Mass forms is the text of the music that is sung and played.

The "Peace" at the EF is dignified, at a Vatican II Mass it can be a family reunion of hugging and kissing...at a Reformed Novus Ordo Mass it can once again be dignified.

But can a musical composition that affects the emotions as strongly as "Were You There", have a place at the Novus Ordo or the Extraordinary? Yes. But only if it has a scriptural text.

We will have the Vatican II form with us forever, but the Reformed Novus Ordo Mass could and should continue to grow. People deserve a choice.
  • CharlesW
    The theme from Gilligan's Island works for Amazing Grace, which is the association I am most familiar with. I don't know what other piece they are referring to. Maybe I haven't heard it.
  • CharlesW, it is "Behold the Wood of the Cross". The first cops the opening line of Gilligan's Island.
  • CharlesW
    No, I haven't heard that one. Thanks!
  • IanWIanW
    Frankly, I don't know what people are complaining about. "Were You There?", done reverently and with economy, has the potential to be very moving. The experience of religious music can be far, far worse: I encountered "The Mass of Creation" for the first time on Saturday evening, and I'm still in shock.
  • don roy
    Donna
    Im really unfamiliar with Mr. Haan but Im not suprised there are other gems out there. With Were you There, the emotional whallop and originality he achieves with a very limited and conventional harmonic language is masterful.
    Ian
    First time with creation!!!!?
    I am sooooo sorry. A level of innocence is now lost forever.
  • IanWIanW
    Don Roy,

It was a nasty business; all the more so for the sublimity it followed. MacMillan on Good Friday, Victoria Tenebrae late Holy Saturday afternoon, after which I made a hasty exit - telling my Anglican friends I had to go to church - and dashed down to St. T's for the Vigil Mass, still on a musical high. The musicians there are a wonderful bunch, but I wish they hadn't thought it necessary to inflict that emotional laxative on the congregation.
  • CharlesW
    MOC used to enjoy year-round usage in my area. I have managed to restrict it to Christmas and Easter seasons. Hopefully, the new missal translation will require buying a new hymnal. Maybe I can find one that doesn't contain it.
  • IanWIanW
    I'd read about it here, but that didn't nearly prepare me. The horror, the horror!
  • Donnaswan
    Ian
    How have you avoided MOC all these years? I've been at my current church for almost 20 years, and it was the very first thing I heard when I came and sat in the congregation for a service or two before I actually conducted my first rehearsal. Needless to say, coming from a traditional Episc church where Morning Prayer was still being sung every other Sunday , I was appalled. Actually, appalled is not a strong enough word. And the Communion 'hymns'. Not hymns- songs, maybe. And only a seasonal Psalm. I never heard of such a thing before. That was the first thing I changed when I took over as Music Director.
    Unfortunately MOC is still with us. I schedule it in the summer for a couple of months. Mostly we do the Proulx 'Community Mass' and chant.
    If you can have Brass with MOC it is better, I must say.

Donna
  • Liam
    American Protestant religion is hardly all Puritanism. Far from it. Even within New England - while, in Massachusetts and Connecticut, one finds deep roots of Puritanism, Rhode Island was freethinking, and northern New England was fractious mix of things (Puritanism dominating, but not everywhere). Outside of New England and points west settled by migrating New Englanders, while you see Dutch Reformed and Presbyterianism, you also see Quakerism and other peace sects, but also Lutheranism, Anglicanism/Episcopalianism, and, by far most importantly for American hymnody, Methodism.
  • JamJam
    Quakers literally had a schism from the Puritans; they were a Puritan sect before they became their own thing. In fact, there are a great number of Protestant sects which stem from Puritanism or a mixture of Puritanism and Calvinism.

Puritanism is the heritage of a lot American ethos, it seems to me. Not necessarily American Protestantism anymore, but it colors American thought and morality, whether people are still supporting it or reacting violently against it. The American work ethic comes directly from the Puritans... So no, not all of America was Puritan, but the culture was strongly Puritan for a long time. Catholics, Jews, and other religious groups who did not toe the Puritan party line were NOT welcome in early America really.