Quote from Paul Inwood: "Chant was never honored by Church until the 19th century."
  • The site upgrade seemed to go over well. But I think one of my comments got lost in the shuffle. Or maybe it was deleted? Anyhow.

We are happy to see resolution to the contention. Blessed are the peacemakers.

Happy Holy week all.

Mandee
  • RagueneauRagueneau
    Amanda, my quote Re: the Council of Trent was also deleted (due to technical problems).

All I said was:

Although I'm not an expert on the Council of Trent, my understanding is that the Council said very little about music. It did, however, strongly recommend the music of Vincenzo Ruffo, Giovanni Palestrina, and Jacobus de Kerle.

But, again, I'm not an expert on the Council of Trent.
  • The Council essentially took up music as it was packing its bags in 1562. There were a few arguments over banning polyphony, but that would not have flown with the entire assembly. It seems that they spent more time talking about how badly singers were mangling words! In Rome, some composers tried to create "spirit of Trent" music, but most of it was pretty bland. Pietro Pontio called it "dead music". Jeff mentions a few composers who had some success, but in other parts of Europe, not much changed. Byrd must not have gotten the memo since he rarely wrote in homorhythmic style at all. Lasso, Guerrero, and Vivanco kept the traditions going.
  • IanWIanW
    Amanda,

I'm sure your missing comment is a caualty of the site's recent major plumbing overhaul. In my experience, freedom of speech is respected here , unlike at 'Pray, Tell', where Fr. Ruff even removes reference to his willingness to change or remove comments of which he disaproves.
  • tdunbar
    Michael,
    to answer your question from last week as to why vespers at the Madeleine are so early, I don't know but suspect that the schola's elementary/middle schoolers schedule is relevant.