question about overlapping duties
  • mmeladirectress
    a recent job posting was for a 'director of liturgical ministries’ working under a Director of Music. Listed among the DLM's duties would be education and training of cantors, musicians and the parish choir -

Education and training, but not the actual direction of them. Presumably the DM would direct...

Does anyone here have such an arrangement? if so, does it work well?
  • The 'education and training of cantors, musicians and the parish choir' are the duties and prerogatives solely of the choirmaster or DM. This is definitely out of place.
  • MatthewRoth
    That sounds disastrous IMHO.
  • Caleferink
    IMO if you have to have two separate people like this working the same number of hours (i.e. both full-time or both part-time), I would think the Director of Music, as a liturgical ministry, would report to the Director of Liturgical Ministries (who presumably would be in charge of other liturgical ministries like altar servers, readers, sacristans, etc.), not the other way around. It sounds like in this case (a) the parish has its organizational chart upside down in this regard and/or (b) the DM is not wanting to do part of his/her job.

FWIW, if I was looking at for a DM position and it didn't report directly to the pastor, I wouldn't even consider it. These so-called liturgical ministry directors often have agendas that conflict with the DM's, and often times they try to undermine the DM's job such as choosing the music.
  • CharlesW
    Catholic churches are so insanely cheap that overlap in duties is common. It is like what they used to tell us in the military but cleaned up for here, do this, this, this, and this and also put a broom up your behind so you can sweep the floor at the same time.
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Are we all reading the same original post? Some of the replies seem like they're in regards to the title and not the post.

It kinda seems to me that this parish has a DLM and a DM. The DLM's training of cantors and choir might deal with decorum, dress code, and any movement that needs to take place. It seems that the direction (the musical aspect of the choir and cantors) belongs to the DM.
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • CCoozeCCooze
    If we want to be extremely general re: the OP - it sounds like what they really want is a voice teacher who doesn't expect to be the director.
    Thanked by 1ClergetKubisz
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    @CCooze, it's the situation where they want to call the shots, but they want you do to the work for them. You have the responsibility, but not the authority that should go with it.