Question for a choral group
  • cricketts
    Ok, so I have a small group to sing a piece for the vigil Mass for this weekend. Some of the people I asked to sing bailed, so as it stands, I have 2 sopranos, 2 altos, and 2 men (it's a 3 part piece). I would like to add another alto and soprano, and I know of two 13 year old girls who could easily handle each part respectively. Will it completely change the timbre of their sound to have these girls sing along too? And by change, I mean make it sound kind of bad. I've never tried this before and wanted to see what some of the experts had to say first. Thanks!
  • If, as you say, these girls 'could easily handle' their parts there is no reason not to add them to your little choir. You have, without them, 2 to a part - so your only concern is whether adding a voice to each of the upper parts will destroy that balance relative to the lower part. If all take care to blend within their part and to blend with the other parts, this should not but be a plus for you.
    Thanked by 2cricketts CHGiffen
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    No. The particular tone of the child's voice is well suited to soprano and alto parts. In fact, that fits the range of the child's voice perfectly. If you think they are up to the task, there is no reason not to add them to the group.
  • I sing in a choir where two teenage girls are the alto section. Your girls sound like they would add a nice tone to the choir.
  • irishtenoririshtenor
    Concurring: go ahead and add them if you think they can handle singing the parts. Virtually no chance of ruining the balance.
  • ViolaViola
    I have found that three to a part seems to blend better than two.
    Thanked by 3CHGiffen MarkS CCooze
  • canadashcanadash
    This is the way to recruit new members! They are the perfect age and treating them like adults is the best way to make them more interested. Do it!
  • dad29
    Vis-a-vis "balance," Roger Wagner was firm: a choir needs two women for every man singer....
  • francis
    no two situations are ever going to be alike. no "professional" can answer your question with 100% accuracy. It's all a matter of how artistic these people are who are part of your ensemble and whether they are sensitive to the other voices in the ensemble AND your facility to bring about a beautiful blend as the director. it's all about the blend and what the final outcome resolves to produce. rehearse, record, and then listen to it the next day and do what your gut (and discerning ears) tells you.