Outdoor Mass, praise bands, ice cream trucks. Just another day...
  • My church has one outdoor Mass every year. We went to it this past Sunday, and this is what happened:

Big tent set up as always, with flimsy folding chairs, not enough of them, people coming late have to stand around the tent.

This year, they invited a praise band from a local evangelical school. These young people were very well rehearsed, talented, and had a very professional little setup.

The music director and cantor for the day were not well rehearsed, as usual. The Mass setting was the same as always, Pony, only much worse because said director decided to pull in some extra people on drums and flute (???). It was a nasty contrast between them and the praise band kids.

Instead of the usual hymns, the band played the usual contemporary K-Love type tunes, Chris Tomlin et al. One of our deacons was singing along to every song. But he's a hip, cool dude and I like him, but I guess I was surprised he knew those songs.

Immediately following the conclusion of the Alleluia (which I am always relieved when the Pony Alleluia is over with), there was heard throughout the tent a loud crash. The folding chair my oldest son was sitting on gave way, and sent his little brother and sister into hysterics. Whole tent is looking on at us while I can faintly hear "The gospel according to..." as if someone was saying it miles away. Mass continues...

When all was finally said and done, the ice cream truck arrived and everyone got in line for their free ice cream and went home.

My thoughts are many about the mixing of the praise band with our established music ministers, and the glaring differences of performance between them.

My son is fine and suffered no injury from his holy tumble.

God help us all.
  • CharlesW
    I think this is a church I would have left a long time ago.
  • It was quite possibly the nail in the coffin moment. Although I've said that before. But this was just something else entirely.
  • bhcordovabhcordova
    Why is it that Catholics can't get a decent choir together for major feast days, yet Protestants have great choirs all the time?
    Thanked by 1FidemInFidebus
  • @bhcordova: That was my sentiment almost exactly. These kids blew our regulars out of the water. And we wonder why people are pulled toward the new music...UGH.
  • Fidem,

Do you mean that this parish schedules a Mass, intentionally, outside, so that it can have ice cream delivered within minutes of the distribution of Holy Communion?

Second question: is this a Mass which is intended as a kind of well-meaning outreach to non-Catholics (hence the band), or as an attempt to show the incompetence of its own musicians.... or ..... to humiliate certain members of the CMAA?

• melofluentmelofluent
    an attempt to show the incompetence of its own musicians.... or ..... to humiliate certain members of the CMAA?

Chris, could you explain this question further?
  • MatthewRoth
    FUS does the praise “and worship” music extremely well on feast days & special Sundays. (During the week and on Sundays, it can be more miss than hit.) They also mix instruments weirdly. I don’t understand why someone being good at their instrument leads to automatically playing. We’ve had flute, cello, and Dulcimer hammer alongside piano and acoustic guitar. Last night, the violinist and baritonist were fantastic, and so was the pianist. But, and this is the same at FUS, they simply play the melody, with a little ornamentation, alongside vocals which are already too difficult for what is being sung. The Alleluia during a Gospel acclamation is a great example. So is the response to the “Per ipsum.” This is radically different from the way an organist accompanies chant. It was also irritating last night, because the space was mic'd but clearly it is very live (all wood or hard surfaces, a nice, rounded apse and a lovely organ in the loft) because the instruments totally drowned out the singers, and the people speaking were too loud.

For the record, P&W is something of which I am fond, and I do love my alma mater.
  • Charles,

From Fidem's telling of it, the in-parish musicians looked like fools in front of the visiting evangelical troupe.... so I asked if this were, perhaps, the purpose.

Also from her telling of it, "the folding chair"..... seems to be almost deliberate, so I asked if she had confirmation that it was.
    Thanked by 1melofluent
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Chris, the parish musicians, according to FF, were not adequately prepared for the music from their own "domain." That is generally not a trait of CMAA confirmed musicians. Furthermore, if they're using the Schutte Mass, any association with CMAA would obviously be tenuous at best.
    Perhaps I didn't read the situo correctly.
    Regarding these "event" Masses, outdoors no less- there's a certain "When in Rome" (pardon pun) attitude necessary to endure possible fiascoes. "Chant" doesn't come to mind, even if attended by a digitally friendly PA system dialing in "Notre Dame Cathedral." I surmise that the P/W group wasn't prepared to lead the Ordinary, hence "My Little Pony." That's a crappy choice which should be laid at the feet of the PTB in the parish music ministry.
    This reminds me of how "some folks" want Mariachi Grupos at parish Masses despite their inability to accompany the liturgical music of the Mass. It's a lose/lose.
  • Reval
    Why is it that Catholics can't get a decent choir together for major feast days, yet Protestants have great choirs all the time?

I think it's something to do with Wednesday nights at Protestant church (lots of activities), and the fact that Protestants have freely available childcare - - at Sunday services, and probably during choir practice. If you could free up all those mommies / daddies sitting with their kids at Mass, I'm sure some of them could be tempted to join the choir. But Catholic Mass doesn't work that way, for good or ill.
  • @Chris Z: I don't believe it was set up to intentionally make our people look bad. But that's how it turned out. I have no idea who invited the praise band. Maybe they did it on purpose. I'll never know.

Nor do I believe the chair was intentional, but rather I shared the moment to further illustrate the shoddy planning. My husband gave his seat to our son and ended up having to stand in the back of the tent without us. And again this is the place that raised a million for the roof rebuild and can't maintain their organ, piano, and now decent folding chairs.

The Pony Mass is the ONLY Mass setting I've heard used here in the five long years we have been members.

And yes, they schedule the "ice cream social" (but it's not social because no one at this church talks to anyone else) for after the outdoor Mass. This year they hired an ice cream truck for the job.

Back in "the day", before I was a member, this church was the height of everything Good and Catholic. They had the largest church festival in town with the biggest fireworks, the best rides and food, people from all over came to have fun. It was the highlight of my summers as a kid/teenager, and even then I wondered what it would be like to attend church there. After our first year as official members, they discontinued this tradition, citing "liability" problems and flagging festival attendance. None of this was true. What WAS true was a change in the guard somewhere that decided people of color, teenagers, and anyone not fitting their expectation had to be kept out by an enormous temporary fence with a padlock on the gate, and an enormous cover charge for the festival. Thoughtful, intelligent homilies also went the way of the dinosaur, and apparently so did the music. If I knew who was behind all of this, I would likely say something, but I don't. They are also destroying the school with this same approach. I don't know who wants such a pillar of our community to go up in flames but they seem to be gaining ground in their campaign.
  • CharlesW
    I don't know who wants such a pillar of our community to go up in flames but they seem to be gaining ground in their campaign.

Doesn't all this ultimately rest on the pastor and associates?
  • Liam
    The Pony Mass drives me to distraction. I can endure most banal hymns, but it's the settings of the Ordo that are much more important to my sanity.
    Thanked by 2CCooze CharlesW
  • Fidem,

Thank you for the clarifications.

To pick one small nit: the family name is Garton-Zavesky. Our children have no hyphen and only one capital letter.
  • @CharlesW: I suppose so, but in a place this huge, even the pastor has limited influence. It's the people with the deep pockets who control the place. The pastor is too laid back and doesn't want to get involved with these people. He's happy just looking the other way.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    It's the people with the deep pockets who control the place. The pastor is too laid back and doesn't want to get involved with these people. He's happy just looking the other way.

There's the problem: wealthy donors are controlling things, not the pastor. Although, I'll admit that there are places where that's not necessarily a bad thing, although the pastor should be the one with the control and authority. Call me overly cynical, but I think we've all seen the following situation: the pastor is happy looking the other way because he's getting the money.