New Translation for the Sequence of St. Benedict
  • Fellow Church musicians,

I recently came across on pg. 871 of the Graduale Romanum (1974) the sequence proper to the of St. Benedict of Norcia. If I'm not mistaken, this sequence can be sung on his feast day, July 11, in the Novus Ordo liturgy. For that reason, I have translated it into English (though I do prefer the Latin) for those who may want it. It is not an exact translation but on made to fit the chant melody of the Gradual. Feel free to make corrections and enjoy. The file is attached to this thread.

My blog: https://locusclassicusblog.wordpress.com/2017/06/08/sequentia-pro-sancte-benedicte/

• chonakchonak
    That portion of the Graduale Romanum has material specific to the Benedictine order, so I would not assume that there is a general permission to sing the sequence during the Liturgy of the Word.
  • tomjaw
    Under the old rules this Sequence (and the other Propers) could only be used by Benedictines, and they did not have permission to use it outside their houses.
  • Oh okay. Well it was fun translating anyway.
  • chonakchonak
    Disused sequences can still be performed before Mass or as supplemental pieces (e.g., during a lengthy distribution of Holy Communion).