Psalm tones for 3rd psalm of II Vespers (with alleluia)
  • SirPL
    Good day to all!
    First of all I'd like to apologize for my poor english.

I found threads with similar question, but none of them answered mine.
    I would like to know if is there any rule how to use psalm tones with 3rd psalm of II Vespers of Sunday (see attachement). Is it possible? Maybe not and there are another melodies for the psalm...?

Thank you in advance for your answers!
  • balaanghuni
    This intro by Michel Gammon might help shed some light. See pages 9 to 16 of the PDF.

http://www.gregorian.ca/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Antiphonale-Romanum-II-Final-MG-ENGLISH.pdf

• GerardH
    In addition to what Balaanghuni has posted above (which I'm very glad to have also), there is this melody for the canticle, which I first transcribed by ear from a recording of Vespers sung by the Westminster Cathedral Choir. I have since found it in one recent hymn book, and then discovered that the tune is also used (rather strangely) in the Graduale Simplex as a "Cantus ad introitem" for Easter Sunday. I would be very interested to know the melody's origin, if any forum members know it, but that is a digression.

You will find that this text is referred to as the "Canticle of the Wedding Feast of the Lamb", since it is not a psalm.
    Thanked by 2balaanghuni SirPL
  • igneusigneus
    is there any rule how to use psalm tones with 3rd psalm of II Vespers of Sunday (see attachement). Is it possible?

The German Kleines Antiphonale zum Stundenbuch removes most of the alleluias, verses are sung on a regular psalm tone and an alleluiatic antiphon is sung after every two or three verses. But I haven't seen this solution anywhere else. Special tunes mentioned above are the normal way to sing this canticle.
    Thanked by 1SirPL
  • rarty
    GeradH, I think the melody might originate in the antiphons from Sunday Matins during Easter Season (pre-1960 office, Low Sunday through Ascension).

The three antiphons, one for each nocturn, are printed in the old Processionale Monasticum, and are also contained in the Graduale Simplex chant you posted. "Lapis revolutus" "Quem quaeris" and "Noli flere"
    Thanked by 2GerardH igneus