TAPS during communion??
  • cricketts
    Hello all,

So the "folk" group at my parish requested that I play TAPS during communion on Memorial Day Weekend to be followed by "Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory." I'm a little wary and not sure if it is liturgically correct for TAPS to be sounded during the Mass. If not, could it possibly done after the dismissal? Thank you for your input.
  • Liam
    Absolutely NOT during Communion. TAPS is a salute to the mortal dead. Communion is not about the mortal dead. So you should be highly wary of that moment.

TAPS is not sacred music, though it is solemn secular music to mark the end of the military day and, by metaphorical extrapolation, the end of a military life.

Outside the church entrance after Mass, I wouldn't have a problem with. Ideally, if there were a churchyard burying ground, there...
  • a_f_hawkins
    Essential that you consult the celebrant. After the dismissal only if he and the congregation are content to wait for it.
    Thanked by 2Scott_W cricketts
  • Follow Liam's sage advice.
    There is none better.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Essential that you consult the celebrant.

^^This. Hopefully, he has his head screwed on right and will immediately recognize the inappropriateness of this and be the go-to for putting the brakes on it. Let us know what happens either way please.
    Thanked by 1mmeladirectress
  • CCoozeCCooze
    Do you play the bugle?
  • OlivierOlivier
    Last year the liturgical and civil calendars coincided in such a way that Corpus Christi was on Memorial Day weekend. At the church I attended that day, the communion songs were "My Country 'Tis of Thee" and "America the Beautiful." Is it safe to assume that there is consensus among readers here that those selections were wildly inappropriate?

[Edit, for the sake of clarity: I don't think these songs are appropriate communion songs at any mass, but one might hope that especially on Corpus Christi this would be obvious.]
  • eft94530eft94530
    Corpus Christi was on Memorial Day weekend

Uuuh ... no.
    As far as the Church is concerned it was Corpus Christi Weekend,
    and Memorial Day was on Monday.
    If you want the civil songs then show up on Monday
    and stay after dismissal when I will play the intro.
    But ... you know ... nobody can do that ... got an appointment with the barbecue.

Another example of the Church transforming the World. Not.
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • OlivierOlivier
    Thanks, eft. Monday, then. But surely not as communion songs, correct?
  • eft94530eft94530
    No not as communion song.

Make sure the Prayers of the Faithful include prayers for the dead.
    The war dead need the prayers more than patriotic-virtue-signalling songs.
    Thanked by 2chonak Olivier
  • CharlesW
    What about using TAPS at military funerals? It would not be appropriate at communion, but perhaps at another time.

If I played TAPS it would be after the homily. Death by sermon,
    what a horrible way to go.

I have used "America..." for the Sunday preceding Memorial Day. Some years we have had a Color Guard with flags, soldiers, etc. to go along with it.

• Andrew_Malton
    Luggzury. One Canada Day I had to play O Canada instead of the Gloria, I kid you not.
  • Interesting, isn't it, how 'everyone' wants the Church not to get involved in what they call 'political' issues and to remain separate from the state. But they do come running for us to pray for it when the state is in trouble or experiencing a disaster, and they do want the Church to sing patriotic songs at mass on state holidays. Curious, isn't it!

As for Corpus Christi falling on Memorial Day, this is rather backwards. Memorial Day falls on Corpus Christi, which, for Christians, takes precedence. Pray for the brave dead in the Universal Prayers, but don't muss the mass with patriotic music.
  • SalieriSalieri
    Luggzury. One Canada Day I had to play O Canada instead of the Gloria, I kid you not.

But tha try tellin' t'young people of today that, an' they won't believe tha.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Do you play the bugle?

Indeed. I assume they are suggesting he play it on the organ. Why not get it over with and just pretend we're at a baseball stadium? "Da-da-da-DA-da-Daaah...Charge!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TvQydvkGDk
    Thanked by 1PaxMelodious
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    I'll never understand the insistence of modern Catholics on celebrating secular observances during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.
  • PaxMelodious
    If our faith is truly integrated with our lives, and not just a veneer which we don on Sundays, then of course we would be praying for concerns from all areas of our lives during our worship.

That said, I abhor the use of nationalistic songs or hymns anywhere near a church.
  • ClergetKubiszClergetKubisz
    If our faith is truly integrated with our lives, and not just a veneer which we don on Sundays, then of course we would be praying for concerns from all areas of our lives during our worship.

Yes, but what we've seen is the insistence on changing our worship to better suit our lives.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • Luggzury. One Canada Day I had to play O Canada instead of the Gloria, I kid you not.

Also happened to me, although it was before the final blessing instead of in place of the Gloria. Although, my priest insists on omitting the Gloria in the summertime... unless the associate celebrates, and he insists on singing the Gloria... This parish is somewhat messed up liturgically...
  • Supposedly, "Taps" was originally played to announce to the soldiers that the taps were being closed for the night - the alcohol, that is. I am all for "Taps" at the graveside and to mark the end of the day, but never at Mass! Besides, it is an outdoor piece of music. Not for indoors.

My "Taps" story (other than playing it many times as a trumpeter): I attended the burial of a WWII vet, and the buglers for the local military unit played (once through and then an echo). They played in such a way that it sounded as if Aaron Copland himself had written it. It was beautiful!
  • Reval
    I'll never understand the insistence of modern Catholics on celebrating secular observances during the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass.

Yes, this reminds me of the section in that book "Rebuilt" where the hip priest describes how "off" it seemed to him when the organist was playing some solemn improvisation during the Mass which was near the Fourth of July. I guess he felt it didn't match the mood of the people, supposedly.
  • Based on another post, I guess MJO won't appreciate my anecdote above...
  • ...won't appreciate...

Ha! You mean about Aaron Copland?
    Actually, that trumpet call or fanfare is the only thing he ever wrote that I like -
    too bad he had to write what comes after it after it.
  • CCoozeCCooze
    The (literal) last time I heard taps was at my grandmother's (Catholic) funeral at Quantico, 2 years ago. I have no idea how far away the bugler was, because we couldn't see him. It was simply echoing through the cemetery. It was incredibly beautiful and solemn.

I think that that is where it belongs (when used as a memorial), and by whom.

My "do you play bugle?" was, of course, sarcastic. I have no desire to hear Taps played on the organ, and I'm not sure why anyone else would wish to.
  • cricketts
    Hi CCooze,

I am a trumpet player and bugler. I spent 8 years as a bugler in the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps. I was startled by this person's request since I have never played Taps during a Mass. It's always out in the cemetery after the firing party is finished.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW CCooze
  • CharlesW

1. TAPS
    2. I am the Bread of Life
    3. One Bread One Body

TAPS is a big improvement.

• You could ALMOST remove the purple. Lol.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW PaxTecum
  • ...a big improvement. [???]

Not likely -

Taps -

Christ arose!
    Death is slain!
    His defeat,
    It is plain,
    Is our gain:
    For our life
    Hid in Christ
    Does repose.
    - Anonymous, XXIst century

Not to be published, sung, or shared - ever, anywhere.

Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • CharlesW
    One bed, three bodies
    ménage à trois

Thanked by 1PaxTecum
  • Liam
    First Line: Christ Arose.
    TUNE: TAPS 33.333.33.3
    Hymnary No. TBD.
  • Earl_GreyEarl_Grey
    Not to be published, sung, or shared - ever, anywhere

Charles Ives said the same thing about his songs.