Lent music ideas for Novus Ordo
  • I'm looking for some ideas on how to make the Lenten music in the OF more, well, "Lenty," for lack of a better word. I noticed that often there is not a big difference between music during Lent and music during Ordinary Time in my parish and I want to change that. Here are my ideas so far:

- Using Mass XVIII which the parish already knows
    - Already doing sung propers (Simple Choral Gradual)
    - Reducing the organ registration (no mixture, maybe just 8' and 4' to accompany hymns)
    - Obviously, no preludes or postludes played on the organ

Any other ideas? It's a parish somewhat familiar with traditional music, but not very familiar with chant or Latin hymns. Also, there is no choir, just me. I could get a couple of my family members to sing something simple, though.
    Thanked by 1M. Jackson Osborn
  • What you have outlined above sounds quite appropriate and worthy of emulation.
    Offering seasonally appropriate texts (which you seem to be doing - with propers, yet!) to good music which lends itself to setting and fostering the spiritual atmosphere of Lent is really about all that music is called upon to do.

At Walsingham we sing the Litany in procession instead of an Entrance Hymn on alternate Sundays. You might look into something like that.

We also veil all statuary, crosses, our beautiful needle-point altar rail kneelers, and such in purple during the entire season, changing to red veiling on Palm Sunday, white on Maundy Thursday, and black on Good Friday - which keeps our devoted Altar Guild ladies quite busy!
    Little details such as these can have powerful psychological effects.

(Just be sure, when you sing chant during Lent, to balance it with some joyful chant during Eastertide!)
  • Reval
    We also veil all statuary, crosses, our beautiful needle-point altar rail kneelers, and such in purple during the entire season

I love this. I'm a fairly recent convert, and the first time I saw the Lenten veiled statuary, it knocked me out. In a good way. I always delight in thinking, well, Lutherans would never do this. (I know someone will now post a photo of Lutherans veiling something)
  • matthewjmatthewj
    I'm confused as to why you're using the Simple Choral Gradual with no choir... those pieces really only work with an SATB choir.

Perhaps consider switching over and using some of the chants from here:
    https://illuminarepublications.com/scores/lent/
    until such a time that you have a choir.

Also be sure to play a prelude and postlude on Lent IV.
  • Well, Reval -
    There are, believe it or not, Lutherans who not only would, but do do this. They are relatively scarce, but they do exist. Some, here and there, take very seriously their identity as 'reformed Catholics', and can be quite as high church as Anglicans, even almost as Catholic as Anglo-Catholics. (Of course ritualistic 'high church' and profoundly 'Anglo-Catholic' are two quite distinct categories.)

In my years of service with the Lutherans I always managed, somehow, to meet the ones who believed in transubstantiation, wore eucharistic vestments at 'mass', loved incense, called their pastors 'father', prayed for the dead, and asked the intercession of the BVM and other saints.

It has been reported that some Lutherans, eyeing the Ordinariates, would wish to convert and have a Lutheran rite or use. This is not going to happen. The Lutherans have not even kept the pretense of orders.

It is worthy of note, though, that historic Lutheran liturgies in some respects retained more faithfully than the BCP itself the shape of the mass, particularly with regard to the placement of Gloria and other details. Of course, unlike the BCP, any whiff of transubsantiation and the real, objective, presence of Christ in the eucharistic species has been systematically rejected. Most of them don't even have the most remote vestige of a eucharistic prayer, but merely recite the Words of Institution.

(I always find it a curious irony that some Lutherans as well as many others, will insist that every word, including a literal six-day creation, of the Bible is literally true and that, as a whole it is inerrant - yet, they conveniently overlook the Mosaic dietary laws, and when it comes to 'this IS my body' and 'this IS my blood' they cough and sputter, dissemble and fall all over themselves to explain it away.)

Most people (especially Lutherans themselves!) are unaware that Luther quite strongly favoured keeping the (highly edited) mass in Latin and only formulated his Deutsches Messe at the insistent behest of some his his 'more liberal' colleagues.
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • Matthewj, the pastor wanted to use SCG because I could play it on the organ and the congregation could sing along. It wouldn't be my first choice, but unfortunately I don't have a choice in the matter. The good thing is that the congregation actually sings along with the antiphons.
  • CharlesW
    We sing a Latin chant Ordinary, Lenten hymns, and always have communion chants - a year-round thing. The organ is used only to accompany singing, except for "pink" Sunday when I can play appropriate pieces. Still, no preludes or postludes and the organ trumpets are silent until Holy Thursday.
    Thanked by 1musiclover88
  • Thanks, Charles. What do you consider to be appropriate for "pink" Sunday?

Also, any suggestions for hymns or chants? I get tired of Lord Who Throughout These Forty Days after the first measure... ;)
  • At Walsingham we sing the Litany in procession instead of an Entrance Hymn on alternate Sundays. You might look into something like that.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by singing the Litany?
  • Well, musiclover88 -

There probably isn't a Roman rite equivalent to the Ordinariate's litany, which is of historical Anglican provenance and may be found in the BCP. The version in Divine Worship:The Missal, which is used in the Ordinariate, is only slightly altered from that in the BCP.

This litany takes around eight to ten minutes when sung in procession. The people remain standing in their pews whilst the choir and clergy process 'round the church several times before entering the sanctuary. The petitions themselves are sung by one or more cantors, the people heartily singing their responses. Sometimes a single hand bell is rung after every few petitions. (I'm still not sure that the bell is a Good Thing.)

Looking through my St Augustine's Prayer Book I see various litanies of Roman provenance that one could use during Lent: a Litany of 1) The Holy Name of Jesus, 2) The Passion, 3) The Precious Blood, 4) The Church. There are others here, and you may be able to find still others.

The Ordinariate's litany, only slightly modified from the one found at p. 54 of the 1929 BCP, runs as follows (I have extracted exemplary portions) -

O God the Father, Creator of heaven and earth - R. Have mercy upon us.
    O God the Son, Redeemer of the world - R. Have mercy...
    O God the Holy Ghost, Sanctifier of the faithful - R. Have mercy...
    O holy, blessed, and glorious Trinity, one God - R. Have mercy...

Remember not, Lord, our offenses, nor the offenses of our forefathers...
    Spare us, good Lord, spare thy people, whom thou hast redeemed with thy most precious blood.... - R. Spare us, good Lord.

From all evil and mischief..... - R. Good Lord, deliver us.
    From all blindness of heart; from sin; from the crafts and assaults of the devil... - R. Good Lord, deliver us.
    Etc.
    Etc.
    By thine Agony and Bloody Sweat; by thy Cross and Passion; by thy precious Death and Burial; by thy glorious Resurrection and Ascension; and by the Coming of the Holy Ghost - Good Lord, deliver us.
    Etc.
    Etc.

We sinners do beseech thee to hear us, O Lord God, and that it may please thee to rule and govern thy Holy Church universal in the right way. - R. We beseech thee to hear us, Good Lord.
    Etc.
    Etc.

That it may please thee so illuminate all Bishops, Priests, and Deacons, with true knowledge and understanding of thy word..... - R. We beseech thee to hear us, Good Lord.
    That it may please thee to give to all thy people increase of grace to hear meekly thy word, and to receive it with pure affection.... - R. We beseech thee...
    Etc.
    Etc.

Son of God, we beseech thee to hear us. - R. Son of God, we beseech thee...
    O Lamb of God, who takest away the sins of the world - R. Grant us thy peace
    Etc.
    O Christ, hear us. - R. O Christ, hear...
    Lord, have mercy upon us. - R. Lord, have mercy...
    Etc.

Our Father....
    Etc.
    Etc.

(Collect) - Let us pray:
    We humbly beseech thee, O Father, mercifully to look uon our infirmities; and, for the glory of thy Name, turn from us all those evils that we most justly have deserved; and grant, that in all our troubles we may put our whole trust and confidence in thy mercy, and evermore serve thee in holiness and pureness of living, to thy honour and glory; through our only Mediator and Advocate, Jesus Christ our Lord. R. Amen.

I've left out a lot of it, but this will give you an idea. Surely, if you and your pastor wished to emulate this, there are numerous purely Roman rite litanies that would serve as well. Singing the litany in procession has a profound effect on the Lenten experience.
    Thanked by 1CHGiffen
  • KyleM18
    Sometimes, instead of an opening "hymn", I'd use more of a prose or responsory, i.e. Attende Domine or Parce Domine. As for the litanies, the BCP/DWTM litany surpasses most of what you can find these days online in the popular devotion sections.

If you can, do something a capella (some people find no accompaniment to be penitential, I sometimes disagree, but just throwing it out there.) I believe that the church teaches the simpler the better in penitential seasons, or is that just me?
  • I second that!
    (Enthusiastically!)
    Kyle's suggestion of the Lenten prose is brilliant.
    This would make a marvelous processional,
    in English or Latin, or both, on some or all the Sundays IN Lent.
    (Preferably a cappella.)
    Thanked by 2KyleM18 CHGiffen
  • Reval
    Thanks MJO - - this is why I love hanging around here!
  • matthewjmatthewj

) I believe that the church teaches the simpler the better in penitential seasons, or is that just me?

Not really. If you look at both the Ordinary for Sunday's in Lent and the propers, they're not more simple at all. Nor are the mostly "minor" sounding (which is what some DMs try to convey during Lent).
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • matthewjmatthewj
    Matthewj, the pastor wanted to use SCG because I could play it on the organ and the congregation could sing along.

The chants I linked to above have accompaniments and are intended to have congregational participation. For one singer and a congregation and organ, I would definitely consider them far superior to the SCG - which could be nice once you get an SATB choir in place.
  • ViolaViola
    I second Attende Domine and Parce Domine, a capella, though we sing them in English at the insistence of the PP :-(
    Some Lent hymns popular here are:
    God of mercy and compassion
    My God accept my heart this day
    Lord Jesus, think on me
    Lead us, Heavenly Father
    By the blood that flowed from Thee (actually, more Holy Week)
    Dear Lord and Father of mankind
    All ye who seek a comfort sure
    Praise to the holiest
    We will be singing Mass XVII, hopefully unaccompanied, but will decide on that at our final practice.
  • melofluentmelofluent
    RR's Simple Choral and his other, Choral Graduals, are intended for SATB realization pure and simple. The SCG formulae are evocative only of eastern homophony, not western strophic hymnody with a harmonized melody at its core.
    MJM, as per usual, is absolutely right, chanted propers (whether LC/SEG/Weber et al) are more suited towards monophonic use.
  • CharlesW
    Thanks, Charles. What do you consider to be appropriate for "pink" Sunday?

Also, any suggestions for hymns or chants? I get tired of Lord Who Throughout These Forty Days after the first measure... ;)

I know about "Lord, who Throughout..." In our hymnal, it has about 4 sets of words to the same tune. Same for "Erhalt Uns Herr."

"Pink" Sunday music is not really different from the rest of Lent. Some of Viola's suggestions I use, although some I haven't heard of. I tend to slip in some of the older hymns no longer in our hymnal, such as "Ah Holy Jesus." Choral anthems along the lines of the Farrant "Lord, for Thy Tender Mercies' Sake," are appropriate. I play some Reger, Bach, and other chorales and preludes on Pink Sunday. I could do a postlude, but don't since preludes and postludes have more of an impact when reintroduced for Easter. The overall point is to keep it simple for Lent and save the fire and thunder for Easter.

Since I can't resist needling the pastor who would rather not wear rose, I sometimes wear a pink shirt and encourage others to do the same. Unfortunately, our rose tabernacle veils and some vestments are more pink than rose.
  • I think that only once or twice in my life have I seen 'rose' vestments that were actually rose - and they were absolutely, literally breathtakingly gorgeous.
    By what twisted, saccharin taste and clouded maudlin judgment did we ever end up almost universally with pink (or, not infrequently, salmon) instead of rose?
    It really irks me that even at Walsingham our 'rose' vestments are a rather awful (awful, as in 'hideous') shade of salmon.
  • Thank you so much for the suggestions, everyone! I'm excited to try some of these things. I will look into using some litanies and prose.

Like I said before, using SCG isn't my choice. Maybe someday if I work with a different pastor I will have more of a say in the matter, but it's set in stone for now. It was presented as, "We're using this; put together an SATB choir to sing it." I've tried putting together a choir, but I can't even get enough people together to sing four parts. Maybe someday, but I just can't find anyone reliable enough to sing the propers every single week right now.
  • God bless your efforts!
    From what you say, you are fortunate to have the pastor that you do.
    What he has required of you is certainly not by any means onerous or reprehensible.
    There are some who would be delirious if their pastor would 'make them' sing from the SCG rather than the demeaning refuse that is required of them.

Maybe, in time, your pastor will, since he obviously has a degree of musical decency, become more open to your more advanced ideas.

Be thankful for what is being asked of you. It could be far, far, worse!
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • That is true! I've definitely dealt with worse in the past and now things are changing for the better. Thank you for your advice!
  • Richard MixRichard Mix
    The Litany is one of the few things I often miss from the Lutheran Book of Worship (with WIE SCHÖN LEUCHTET and Vexilla Regis).
    Thanked by 1KyleM18
  • KyleM18
    That also reminds me: At least for Palm Sunday, using the Vexilla Regis (As royal banners are unfurled) for a recessional hymn (since the processional has official texts) would be a great idea.