Mariah Carey, Quincy Jones, and You
  • MatthewRoth
    Succinct and to the point.
  • CharlesW
    I would have to agree. Performance is quite different outside the studio. To achieve the recorded sound, pop musicians often have to lip-sync to reproduce that sound in very different conditions. That doesn't mean things don't go wrong in live performance every week at church. I sometimes say my place is 30 seconds from disaster at any given time. Stuff happens.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    By now many of our readers will have seen footage of an unfortunate musical act gone wrong recently in front of a live audience.

I had to google it. Heh...beeewbs.
    Thanked by 1CharlesW
  • CharlesW
    I didn't watch it, only heard about it. I have gone my entire life without even caring that there is a Mariah Carey.
  • Kathy
    CharlesW, you may be missing the point...
  • CharlesW
    I do understand what you are getting at. But the mishaps of highly paid performers is not one of the things I worry about. We have to be on our toes all the time in sacred music to keep the unexpected from happening, but it still does.
  • francis
    I looked at the upset in the news... looks like it could of been a conspiracy, but who knows.... as for us, less is more. my philosophy is to provide the highest quality music possible within the predictable means at my disposal. If you overreach your resources and program what can be a dangerous idea, you are setting yourself up for failure. Stay away from technology if at all possible, (sound systems and electronic instruments are disasters waiting to happen) go all acoustic, live within your means (budget, personnel, musical expectations) and your music will never fail. Do simple well, and avoid complex on the edge.
    Thanked by 2CharlesW Spriggo
  • Someone who requires a microphone to perform is a performer, not a singer.
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • melofluentmelofluent
    Thus spake our infamous companion in curmudgeondry.
    I ain't gonna be the one to decry Marion Anderson as a "performer." uh uh
  • Liam
    Well, to perform for a large audience *outdoors* in a non-acoustic space (I'm not talking about Greek and Roman theaters that did have some good acoustical properties), amplification is hardly unreasonable. When Miss Anderson started her career (and she antedated Ethel Merman by a decade), operas in opera houses were not amplified - nor were musicals on Broadway.

And to sing in Times Square with the din of a million people: that's simply insanity. Performers should just do pantomime and not even pretend to sing - something more like non-dialogue movies. Would be fitting.
  • francis
    And to sing in Times Square with the din of a million people: that's simply insanity.
    Well expressed. So give me one reason why a concert in Times Square should even occur?
  • melofluentmelofluent
    When King Kong performs "Puttin' on the Ritz," francis, when else?
    Thanked by 1Reval
  • Will MC's voice fill a room without amplification, like Marian Anderson's did? I was not referring to performing outside, but performing as a musician in any venue.
    And thanks for the compliment!

• Liam
    Francis

I can't give you a *reason*. I can, however, give you many *unreasons*! I am so *not* a pop culture person, so I can't date the advent of concerts in Times Square for NYE precisely, but I believe it dates back over 40 years to when Dick Clark competed on NBC with CBS's Guy Lombardo in his last years (whose band performed indoors at the Waldorf), and Lombardo's orchestra was not able to sustain his legacy with CBS for more than a couple of years. I never liked "Rockin' New Year's Eve" even as a teenager at that time. (Then again, while three of my older siblings were blaring rock music out of the windows of our home, I was playing Bruckner and Mahler and others on my stereo or playing horn (as in French horn). I was the Counterculture as *I* understood it. Our neighbors nicknamed our house as "The Music Box".)

What's so funny about this is that Times Square in the mid-1970s was one of many places in NYC that people tried to avoid being in for very long. That was its nadir. It was something of a Slough of Despond. The tarting up (and extraordinarily over-lighting) of the place started in the 1980s (Koch administration) and has only accelerated over the years.

It's not the place where my mother and father met on NYE while the latter was on leave in World War II, and my mother was lifted off the street by the pressure of the celebrating crowd and lost her heels in the process.
  • Liam
    Imagine a performance in Times Square that would reduce the din to an awed murmur (silence would be impossible).

TV abhors such a thing. When I watch major events on TV - national or international - I always hope CSPAN will cover it, because CSPAN - uniquely in American broadcasting - doesn't employ anchors who need to talk over the actual event to demonstrate their "value".
    Thanked by 1CCooze
  • francis
    Good points, Liam.

My question is simply an answer in a question. I wasn't expecting you to respond, actually. But thanks just the same.

There is NO reason to EVER go to a concert in which the performer is not really performing, but the whole world has run after just that. It is foolishness chasing a fool for foolishiness sake.

And to try to do this in church... well... God cannot be fooled no matter how good your lip syncing skills may be.

The incredible thing to me is that a million people would show up to mark a moment (less than one second long) that brings one from one year into another. The 'ball' is simply a mechanism to extort along with any of the 'performers' including Dick Clark or anyone else. I slept well on December 31 (starting at 10:30pm).

It was only until this post that I became aware of the many people's major goof of buying a ticket to an event that was so lame. The joke is on them, the premium hacks and media demagogues of tinsledom.
  • Liam
    Francis

Understood and I heartily agree. The only reason I am awake at midnight on the occasion is an annual dinner with friends that is nearing the silver anniversary mark. Being an extreme lark (family genetics + I normally rise around 4AM (no alarm needed) to swim at my local YMCA at 5AM), I have to take a mid-afternoon nap in order to stay awake for the occasion.
    Thanked by 1francis
  • Reval
    and lost her heels in the process.

Sounds painful.
  • francis
    her first mistake was showing up to do it. from there it was predictable.
  • Scott_WScott_W
    Who are you going to believe?

I'll go with Benedict XVI:

"On the one hand, there is pop music, which is certainly no longer supported by the people in the ancient sense (populus). It is aimed at the phenomenon of the masses, is industrially produced, and ultimately has to be described as a cult of the banal."