O magnum mysterium - chant version
  • Can anyone tell me where I can find an online version of the chant notation for O magnum mysterium, I believe it is from Christmas Matins.

Thanks.
  • O magnum is a Responsory for Matins of the Nativity, p. 382 in the Liber, which is online here somewheres.
  • Found it, Thank you Richard
  • This is a bump, but aren't we scolded if we don't do it?

O Magnum Mysterium can be found at GregoBase.

The reason I bring this up is because I wonder if it is still part of the Office of Readings in the Novus Ordo. My research says no, but has it been moved somewhere else?
  • Romantic Strings,

You raise (perhaps inadvertently) this question: If I have a beautiful chant, or other piece of music, but it is no longer required by the liturgy of the Church, when may it be used?

To my mind (ducking for fear of the usual onslaught to unread answers) the (apparent) fact that this text and melody are no longer part of the office is reason to use the older form.
    Thanked by 1tomjaw
  • tomjaw
    "You raise (perhaps inadvertently) this question: If I have a beautiful chant, or other piece of music, but it is no longer required by the liturgy of the Church, when may it be used?"

I think the suggestion was we could sing them at Benediction, i.e. the section at the back of the 1949 Antiphonal, has such pieces, and they are later found with additions in Cantus Selecti. We would sing them as Motets at Mass.
  • the (apparent) fact that this text and melody are no longer part of the office is reason to use the older form

Even if it is one of the reasons to prefer the older form, the fact is also that Matins usually are not sung in choir outside monasteries, even in the older form. Christmas, Tenebrae, and the Office of the Dead might be exceptions. Therefore, all those beautiful responsories can be sung as ad libitum pieces at the Communion time, e.g., after having sung the Communion antiphon. Our schola will be singing O magnum mysterium in the Christmas Octave Mass, though not chant, but the SATB setting by Stadlmayr.
  • Cantus67Cantus67
    If you'd like a clearer version, I've attached one for all to use. Sorry this is so late.